Help with sorting data

I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns of info that’s approx. 1000 rows long.
I need to sort by column L and then Column I.  When done sorting I will have
multiple names (different every report) in column L and multiple medical
conditions (different every time) in column I.  The goal is to keep one row
of each name matched with one entry of each medical condition (sorted for
that name) and hide all the other rows.

Daffy Duck may have 15 entries with a broken elbow and 13 entries with the
flu.  I only want one row of each condition associated with Daffy Duck to
appear (it doesn't matter which row) and the rest of the rows would be
hidden.  This would continue thru all the names and conditions.  Anyone have
any macro suggestions?  I use Excel 2003.

--
Rex Munn

On Apr 29, 12:34=A0am, Rex <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns of info that=92s approx. 1000 rows l=
ong. =A0
> I need to sort by column L and then Column I. =A0When done sorting I will=
 have
> multiple names (different every report) in column L and multiple medical
> conditions (different every time) in column I. =A0The goal is to keep one=
 row
> of each name matched with one entry of each medical condition (sorted for
> that name) and hide all the other rows. =A0
>
> Daffy Duck may have 15 entries with a broken elbow and 13 entries with th=
> flu. =A0I only want one row of each condition associated with Daffy Duck =
> appear (it doesn't matter which row) and the rest of the rows would be
> hidden. =A0This would continue thru all the names and conditions. =A0Anyo=
ne have
> any macro suggestions? =A0I use Excel 2003.
>
> --
> Rex Munn

Best is to use pivottable.which will sort and return the unique.
0
Javed
4/29/2010 3:56:49 AM
On Apr 29, 11:56=A0am, Javed <asadullaja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 12:34=A0am, Rex <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns of info that=92s approx. 1000 rows=
 long. =A0
> > I need to sort by column L and then Column I. =A0When done sorting I wi=
ll have
> > multiple names (different every report) in column L and multiple medica=
> > conditions (different every time) in column I. =A0The goal is to keep o=
ne row
> > of each name matched with one entry of each medical condition (sorted f=
or
> > that name) and hide all the other rows. =A0
>
> > Daffy Duck may have 15 entries with a broken elbow and 13 entries with =
the
> > flu. =A0I only want one row of each condition associated with Daffy Duc=
k to
> > appear (it doesn't matter which row) and the rest of the rows would be
> > hidden. =A0This would continue thru all the names and conditions. =A0An=
yone have
> > any macro suggestions? =A0I use Excel 2003.
>
> > --
> > Rex Munn
>
> Best is to use pivottable.which will sort and return the unique.

something like this

Option Explicit

Sub m()
Dim c As Range
Dim rng As Range
Set rng =3D Range("I1:I1000")
For Each c In rng
If c =3D c.Offset(1) And c.Offset(, 4) =3D c.Offset(1, 4) Then c.RowHeight
=3D 0
Next c
End Sub
0
PY
4/29/2010 6:07:45 AM
That worked perfectly.
Thanks for your help.
--
Rex Munn

"PY & Associates" wrote:

> On Apr 29, 11:56 am, Javed <asadullaja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 29, 12:34 am, Rex <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns of info that’s approx. 1000 rows long.
> > > I need to sort by column L and then Column I.  When done sorting I will have
> > > multiple names (different every report) in column L and multiple medical
> > > conditions (different every time) in column I.  The goal is to keep one row
> > > of each name matched with one entry of each medical condition (sorted for
> > > that name) and hide all the other rows.
> >
> > > Daffy Duck may have 15 entries with a broken elbow and 13 entries with the
> > > flu.  I only want one row of each condition associated with Daffy Duck to
> > > appear (it doesn't matter which row) and the rest of the rows would be
> > > hidden.  This would continue thru all the names and conditions.  Anyone have
> > > any macro suggestions?  I use Excel 2003.
> >
> > > --
> > > Rex Munn
> >
> > Best is to use pivottable.which will sort and return the unique.
>
> something like this
>
> Option Explicit
>
> Sub m()
> Dim c As Range
> Dim rng As Range
> Set rng = Range("I1:I1000")
> For Each c In rng
> If c = c.Offset(1) And c.Offset(, 4) = c.Offset(1, 4) Then c.RowHeight
> = 0
> Next c
> End Sub
> .

Access data into Excel across columns
Is there a way to create an Access report that would take the field 'names' and expand the records from left to right (text vertical) rather than from top to bottom? The other alternative would be to bring the data into Excel and have it populate pre-formatted cells from left to right (across columns). I'm using Office XP Thanks in advance! ...

Transferring data to a new company that has a "new" chart of accou
Hello: The client wants to create a new company in GP 9.0. This company is going to be the client’s “new live” company. The client wants this company to have a different account format and a new chart of accounts from what the old company has. They want to get rid of this “old live” company, because they say that financial and other data is not clearly discernible. Pretty easy, so far….. But, the client also wants to transfer the payroll and payables data from the old live company to this new live company. The issue is that the new company will have a new chart of accounts. The ...

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

sumifs help

Excel sorting #3
Is there a way to sort data by absolute value? I have a list of numbers, both negative and positive and I would like the list to have the highest positive and negative numbers at the top (e.g. -10,000 and +10,000 and the lowest numbers to be at the bottom(e.g -1 & 1). ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Blue, In an empty column, place the formula =ABS(A1) then fill down as far as you need to go. Then sort on this column. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson M...

Recovering Registry Data?
Hi, For no apparent reason, the laptop crashed & rebooted itself. During the reboot process, received message that missing registry is missing and to �CHKDSK�. I didn�t get the full message because it wasn�t up viewable long enough. I did conduct a �CHKDSK� without Adminstrator rights & now get the following message: �One of the files containing the system�s Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful�. I've been told that I need to run a "CHKDSK" through Adminstrator rights status first. Ho...

Help !

Displaying cell data in a chart
Previous posts indicate a successfuly method for displaying data/text from a cell into a chart. Following this procedure, I select the chart, press the equal sign, and select the cell, and then enter. The address of the sheet and the cell address are displayed after the equal sign. When I press enter nothing seems to happen. The data are supposed to display in the middle of the chart, but I do not get any display of the data. I am in a Pivot Table worksheet but did not directly insert a Pivot Chart. I used getpivotdata and created new cells for plotting into the inserted column ch...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Problem copying table data as a picture onto chartsheet
I'm having a strange problem. I'm creating a special chart which has a pie chart on it as well as some tabular data that is formatted the way we want it on a worksheet, then pasted onto the chartsheet as a picture. (The pie chart aspect is working fine. I'm just having a problem with the tabular data.) When I copy the tabular data manually by selecting the data on the worksheet, then going to the Home tab and choosing the Paste menu dropdown, then "As Picture", then "Copy as picture...". In the resulting dialog box, I choose "As shown on scr...

Import data using macro
Hi, how do you use excel to import a text file using a macro to do the work for you? I start by creating a new workbook. Then turn on the macro recorder and open that text file. (Try not to make errors--it can make clean up troublesome.) Then format the worksheet (headers/footers/page layout/filters,freeze panes) exactly the way you want. When you're done, turn off the macro recorder. Close the imported file and back to your other workbook. Insert a giant button from the forms toolbar on the first worksheet (with instructions). Then save it. Now go into the vbe and start tweakin...

exch 5.5 help

How do I create a table with data selected via a pass through que.
I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this before? Thx. On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:33:00 -0800, kandamj <kandamj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query >in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this >before? Thx. You may want to try saving the passthrough query, and base a new MakeTable query on that saved query. The passthrough query runs on the host, and ha...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Chart and Data range
Hello I'm using a chart dayly and i would like that the chart take all the data without selecting source data within data source and updating the range manualy. Thanks for Help Louis Do a Google search for: Excel dynamic chart or go to http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F2F4B7D-82E2-47F9-9D05-79BEE769CFC2@microsoft.com... > Hello > > I'm using a chart dayly and i would li...

daily data overlaid by monthly data chart
I have to create a graph that has daily data overlaid by monthly data. Ideally the monthly data would be a bar graph with the daily data as line graph over top. 'Here's a pic to explain what I mean (http://apple.termisoc.org/~j/files/excel_nightmare.JPG) (96kb) I also had the problem that the monthly data was in a differen arrangement - the date traversing the columns with the daily data wen vertically. - To fix it I used the Edit -> Special paste -> transpose option an then laboriously cut and pasted the resulting arrangement to one bi column. Wish I knew a better way. I ...

help me #2

League table automatic sort/update
Hi All I'm just getting up to speed with Excel and as an exercise I'm trying to implement a simple league table. What I'd like to know is how to create 'dynamically' a ranking table like the one shown below. Pos Player Points 1 Tom 124 2 Linda 122 3 Harry 107 4 Jayne 100 4 Bob 100 5 Steve 89 6 Mark 88 7 John 80 8 Angie 77 9 Andrew 71 The table is sorted on the points column, the values for which are referenced from another sheet. Ideally I'd Like the table to be sorted automatically as players points total change(based on calculations In another sheet). ...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction