growing excel database

Hello everyone!

 It is possible to import data into excel from the web. It is also possible update this data IN THE SAME CELLS. In other words, the values that once occupied the cells are replaced with new values. That is a problem for me. I would like updated information to be pasted in rows above the old data.

 Is this possible? If so, how?
0
Piotr

Piotr,

Yes, it is possible to import data into Excel from the web.  Web queries are
designed to do this and if a web query can't do what you need, then there are
ways to automate Internet Explorer (i.e. IE Automation).

You can record a macro in order to see some of the syntax of a web query,
look at the recorded code, and then use the help files to learn more about
the various properties of the web query that you record.  If you want
something more than a web query, do a search for IE Automation (or some
derivation thereof) to see other code for interacting with the web.

Best,

Matthew Herbert

"Piotr" wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
>  It is possible to import data into excel from the web. It is also possible update this data IN THE SAME CELLS. In other words, the values that once occupied the cells are replaced with new values. That is a problem for me. I would like updated information to be pasted in rows above the old data.
>
>  Is this possible? If so, how?
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.excel.programming/
> .

Database for Purchased goods
Hi I would like to setup a database for our company that would hold all of our purchased in parts. I want to have 3 main headings. "Raw Material Numbers" - "Description" - "Category" I want to be able to search by either Raw Material Number or Category. Lets say I have a RAw material number I want to search. I will input that number under "Raw Material Numbers" and excel will search the database and find the number and return the Description and Category. That part I think I have down, it's the next part that gets me. I also want to search...

Excel shuts down!
Using "Microsoft Office 2007" - which I didn't like to start with, but be that as it may, I am obliged to use it. Don't know if Microsoft has made recent changes, but my Excel has, until today,seemed to be working ok. I only use a couple of rather simple files, and every time I attempt to modify the color of test. I get a window that says "Excel has stopped working - check on line for solution". I have no idea where to check on line of a solution, and it also shows a problem signature as follows: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Applica...

Exchange database corrupted we want to play on the log files
Hello, Our exchange 2000 server corrutped recently, we managed to recovered some data by using eseutil. Since the IS backup was half month ago, we tried to restore it from the system full backup. we use ntbackup to backup the full system. the problem we found was that the backup file (.bkf) also corrupt, now if we can restore some log files from the backup, can we play on the log to get some emails back? Regards George If you're running on a database that's more recent than the backed-up one, then no. However, you might be able to build a recovery server, copy the log ...

Anyone gone through these Excel 2000 training from LearnKey?
If yes, we need your feedback on how good the courses were and if they were applicable immediately to your job or career advancement. Please post your reviews below. Thank you and god bless. http://www.solutionsreview.com/Learn_Microsoft_Excel_2000_Training.asp ...

Excel 2007; problems with Excel macros
Hello I'm working with Excel 2007, german version. I'd like to open my Excel files which I have written with older Excel versions but all Excel files with macros generates the following error: "Diese Arbeitsmappe hat ihr VBA Projekt, alle ActiveX-Steuerelemente und alle anderen programmierbaren Elemente verloren" or in english: "This workbook lost the VBA project, all ActiveX-controls and all other programmable objects." Does anybody have an idea how to solve this issue? Tom I think you did not install VBA. It is not selected by default when you ins...

Excel 2002 Changes Screen Resolution
When Excel 2002 launches, it changes the screen resolution to 640x480. How do I get it to stop this? That's new one! Just to be sure that it is Excel, and not something that is loading with Excel, from Start->Run enter "Excel /s" (no quotes) and press Enter. This is "safe mode" where nothing extra runs. If it doesn't happen then you know it's an add-in or something auto-loading from ,say, XLSTART. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Sheila B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5c7401c42d7e$a9db5770$a001280a@phx.gbl... ...

setting a tab index within excel 2002
when creating a form within excel 2002 can you set a tab index to move to the relevant fields. Just worksheet cell selections? There are several ways to set the TAB order on worksheet cells. See Bob Phillips' site for methods. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0008.html There is another method using VBA event code. If interested, post back for more detail and some sample code. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:57:01 -0700, "thewelshman" <thewelshman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >when creating a form within excel 2002 can you set a tab in...

How do I add Pattern Fills to Excel 2007?
I use Excel 2007 to draw. I would like to be able to add pattern fills like hash marks or dots to drawing shapes. ...

Need help with Excel worksheet....I'm lost.
I have to complete this assignment in the next few hours and have no idea where to begin....any help would be sincerely appreciated. Here it is: A man has 5 years remaining on a six year car loan, his interest rate is 8.25% and his monthly payment is $525.00. His credit union is willing to accept the present value (PV) of the loan as a payoff. Develop an amortization schedule that shows how much he must pay at the end of each of the six years. Then create a worksheet that includes the beginning and ending balance, the amount paid on the principal and the interest paid for years two through ...

Excel 2007 VBA Pivot table fetch records
I have a table 'tbl_Final' in MS Access 2007 where the data is used and cached in a pivot table found in the 'Data' worksheet in MS Excel 2007. In this MS Excel 2007 workbook, I have various worksheets reports which links to the pivot table values found 'Data' worksheet. I linked formulae in one of the cells found the worksheet reports, looks like this: =GETPIVOTDATA("Amount",Data!$B$4,"Month", 2,"Year","2008","Scenario","Budget") Lets say the cell value total is: 1000 So, In pivot...

Importing Payees from Excel into Money
Can I import payees from any other file format such as Excel into Money? Create a bunch of $0 transactions one per payee, write them out to QIF format transaction data, QIF import them to Money with the options settings set to force new payees onto the explicit list, and then delete the transactions. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where this isn't more trouble than benefit and I already know how to do it. Good luck. "neck621" <neck621@aol.com> wrote in message news:046f01c3afc5$10267600$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Can I import payees from any other file format suc...

VBA Password
Hola, I have a workbook in which I protected the VBA code with a password. It works fine. The user doesn't have access to the code. I'm automatically setting the Solver referece using the following code (partly shown). Set oWB = ActiveWorkbook strSolverPath = Application.LibraryPath & "\SOLVER\SOLVER.XLAM" With AddIns("Solver Add-In") .Installed = False .Installed = True End With oWB.VBProject.References.AddFromFile strSolverPath The situation is that when the user opens the workbook it's being asked for the VBA Projec...

referencing images in Excel 2007
I have a todo list for genealogy searches. One of the columns is for results. Some of the results are images or documents. What is the best way to do this in the Excel "results" column? If I paste the image, it is not linked to a specific cell and is anyway too large and therefore messes up the Excel spreadsheet row alignements. Suggestions? Thanks. Jeff If the image lies completely within the confines of the cell boundaries it will sort with the rows. Size your images accordingly and embed as an Icon in the cell. A double-click on the Icon will open the image in your favori...

Pivottable 'refresh in EXCEL 2000
The refresh through Macro seems to always reset the filter values of the table to "All", while i save the file with specific filters. I tried it on Excell XP, and it works without changing anything. Is their patch for Excel 2000 's macro concerning this problem? ...

Data exchange ical, adressbook & excel 2008

Looking for "Side by Side" Excel Add-in by Jim (James) Cone
Jim, I hope you see this message. I've tried to email you to ask for a copy of your "Side by Side" Excel Add-in. However, I've tried the RCN account and the ATT account, and they both bounced back to me as undeliverable. If you have a copy and wouldn't mind sending one, I'd be very thankful. Thanks! Keith Hi Keith I send Jim a mail and I don't get it back I hope for you he will jump in. -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Keith" <ksagona@ldeq.org> wrote in message news:521b1cc6.0309151210.65127732@pos...

Excel Values problems
I'm opening an exported Crystal Reports excel file in Excel. The file opens properly with no problems other than cell values are not being treated as cell values. Selecting several cells with numbers in them gives no result in the status bar area. If I press F2 (to edit a formlua) and then enter the value is treated as a number. As I have thousands of cells like this, has anybody got any ideas of why this is happening and what I can do to fix this. I have formulas that depend on cells being treated like numbers. Regards Sam Benson ------------------------------------------------ ...

Exchnage 2010 mailbox database name
Hello all I recently setup a 2010 Mailbox server role, why is the default name of a 2010 mailbox database contain numbers? example "mailbox database 1996178628" Change it to whatever you want. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "sawyer" <occompguy@cox.net> wrote in message news:edh1brO1KHA.364@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hello all > > I recently setup a 2010 Mailbox server role, why is the default name of a > 2010 mailbox database contain numbers? example "mailb...

Convert MSWorks 2 SS to Mac Excel
How can I convert a MSWorks 2 spreadsheet to Mac Excel SS or an Appleworks SS? I cannot save files as Excel SS as I cannot open them because my computer & disks were stolen. I have an education edition of MS Office 2004 for Mac. Thanks ...

Error using Excel add-in with INDIRECT.EXT function
When I use the function INDIRECT.EXT and a worksheet that I'm looking for isn't in the workbook, there is an error message displayed in the background, but I can't access it until I brute force close Excel. Any suggestions? Thanks When this occurs, look down on your task bar, or use "Alt+Tab" to switch views or minimize Excel. "Barb Reinhardt" wrote: > When I use the function INDIRECT.EXT and a worksheet that I'm looking for > isn't in the workbook, there is an error message displayed in the background, > but I can't access it unt...

excel 2007, how to select a data point and cycle through data points
I've searched the archives but can find nothing on this topic. Prior to excel 2007, I could select a data series (xy scatter chart) and press the right arrow key to cycle through the data points, and a data point highlighter would move from point to point so I would know which point was currently selected. Through many versions of excel I have found this feature very useful. Excel 2007 seems to be missing the little data point highlighter. I can still format individual data points, but I don't know beforehand which point is selected. Is this a know feature of excel 2007? Is it kn...

EXCEL FILE IN INTERNET
Hi, Help is this highly appreciated. I am sending the daily report almost across teh country on daily basis. Is it possible to keep my excel file in internet ? so that anyone can read my file (yes, probably we have to allow them, after enter the correct password). also, is it possible to update this file online? Awaiting for your help -Sivassou. ...

E-mailing excel templates?
I use Excel to track and compile my billing info, but use Word to invoice my costomers by e-mail. Transfering data from Eexcel to Word has become combersome and error prone. The obvious answer is to use Excel invoice templates, can these templates be displayed by PCs that donot have Excel installed? No. Each computer must have Excel installed. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "StevePMB" <StevePMB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:827725A5-423F-4949-92BE-3F51E3F0ADFD@microsoft.com... &...

workbook_open freezes Excel
Windows 2000 Office XP I have created an Excel add-in which creates a new menu item on opening, and deletes it in closing. The menu works fine on my WinXP / Office XP machine, and on a number of users' Win2k/Office Xp machines. However, on certain computers, the add-in causes Excel to freeze on opening. I have the following code in the "ThisWorkbook" section: [START CODE] Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) RemoveMenu End Sub Sub workbook_open() NewMenu End Sub [END CODE] which calls procedure "NewMenu" on open. "NewM...

Access to Word or Excel
I have an Access 2003 database that I built. I'ts very basic; it's a single table with two columns as a primary key (to prevent duplicates), one data entry form and 5 or 6 reports. I discovered that the organization that I built this for doesn't have Access, only Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Publisher. Can anyone point me to a sample or instructions on how to recreate this very basic Access app to either Excel or Word? Any help is appreciated! You can not. Some function of Access can be done in Excel. You can find duplicates in Excel with the CountIf function like this ...