Getting the entry of a Named Range

I have a Named Range called VERSION, in which I update every time I make a
new version of the workbook.  In my macro, I want to grab this value.

ThisWorkbook.Names("VERSION").Value    returns "=UPDATES!$D$16".

How should I change that line to return the value which is Cell D16 on my
UPDATES tab?
--
TIA, Brad E.

Brad,

To get the value use

MyVar = ThisWorkbook.Names("Version").RefersToRange
--
Mike

question.

"Brad E." wrote:

> I have a Named Range called VERSION, in which I update every time I make a
> new version of the workbook.  In my macro, I want to grab this value.
>
> ThisWorkbook.Names("VERSION").Value    returns "=UPDATES!$D$16".
>
> How should I change that line to return the value which is Cell D16 on my
> UPDATES tab?
> --
> TIA, Brad E.
Hi Brad

try
evaluate(thisworkbook.names("VERSION").value)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Brad E. wrote:
> I have a Named Range called VERSION, in which I update every time I make a
> new version of the workbook.  In my macro, I want to grab this value.
>
> ThisWorkbook.Names("VERSION").Value    returns "=UPDATES!$D$16".
>
> How should I change that line to return the value which is Cell D16 on my
> UPDATES tab?
0
Roger
3/24/2010 11:54:03 AM
Thanks, Roger.  I like this better than the "RefersToRange" method.  Evaluate
makes sense to me.  Brad

"Roger Govier" wrote:
> Hi Brad
>
> try
> evaluate(thisworkbook.names("VERSION").value)
>
> --
> Regards
> Roger Govier
>
> Brad E. wrote:
> > I have a Named Range called VERSION, in which I update every time I make a
> > new version of the workbook.  In my macro, I want to grab this value.
> >
> > ThisWorkbook.Names("VERSION").Value    returns "=UPDATES!$D$16".
> >
> > How should I change that line to return the value which is Cell D16 on my
> > UPDATES tab?
> .

Forcing Combo box entry in VBA
In my user form, I have several combo boxes that take their source from various named ranges. The drop down lists work fine but at the moment, a user is able to overwrite whats in the dropdown. How can I ensure that only what is in the drop down is chosen? TIA "Anthony Slater" <AnthonySlater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D124AC9-8614-4619-B8B9-8D1C7AE5A4FB@microsoft.com... > In my user form, I have several combo boxes that take their source from > various named ranges. > > The drop down lists work fine but at the moment, a user is able to o...

How to return a range of values in a drop-down.
Is there a way to have Excel return a range of values in a drop down in one cell based on input from another cell. As an example: Cell A1 has the text "PVC Pipe" I want cell A2 to get input from A1, read through a table, and return the corresponding values (sizes) of PVC pipe. The results in A2 would be the following in a drop down: 4" 6" 8" If cell A1 contained the text "Metal Pipe" it would return values (sizes) of metal pipe from a table and not display the sizes of PVC pipe. 10" 12" 15" The bottom line and...

Static Range, Dynamic Chart Data
I have read some great tips on making my chart dynamic that involv changing the range. The chart I would like to create is a 12 month lin chart. I want the chart to always be 12 months in length, but the poin to simply not be plotted if the value of the cell "blank". In othe words, stop the line short of the end of the plot area. The 12 months of charted cells have a formula lik =IF(A1=0,"",SUM(A1:A6)). So you see a blank cell if A1 is 0. But th chart shows this as a zero value. If I delete the contents the char does what I would like. Is there a way to simply change the ...

A Crystal Beginner

Restrict spreadsheet to data entry only
Fairly new to Excel. Once I've set up the structure of my spreadsheet, and entered the formulae for calculated cells etc, how can I ensure that the spreadsheet is used just for data entry and that the structure cannot be altered in any way? TIA You can use protection. You need to go to every cell you want for data entry and unprotect tha cell. You can select multiple cells... right mouse click... Then hi format cells... The last tab says protection, select it and click th check box to unprotect these items. Now you can then in the menu bar hit Tools... Protection... and the Protect...

Install driver files with the same name
Hello, We have multiple driver files with the same name which were provided third party. I am looking for a way to install the drivers. Because We want that the each driver are used in different applications. Is there any way to install the drivers without changing their file sames? Taka <Taka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >We have multiple driver files with the same name which were provided third >party. >I am looking for a way to install the drivers. >Because We want that the each driver are used in different applications. > >Is there ...

Get paid while you get online!!

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

referencing a cell determined by name in another cell
How do I reference a cell within a formula based on the contents of another cell? For example if one cell contained a reference/address for a column array, how could I refer to this cell (and hence the column array) within the vlookup function instead of having to put in the actual table array. In other words an external way of changing the table array rather than going into the formula. VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup) Hi use INDIRECT for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ricardo wants answers" <ricardo wants answers@discussion...

How do I get??

No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. 11-10-05
"No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. SOAP Server Application Faulted" Removed licenses from other users that are no longer here. I cannot add the new users. any ideas what the error messages mean? ...

Get notified when Out of Office is on

Getting Control ID in Active X control

Get photos from a camera

How do I get my best friend back?
I NEED TO KNOW "monsterboy16" <monsterboy16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7918DF09-EB34-46E4-852E-8DAAC3FFF45F@microsoft.com... > I NEED TO KNOW Easy. Just lift the lid on your toilet seat and whistle. Dipshit! -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." Pretend that you're in a coma and unable to communicate in any way (such as posting messages in newsgroups). "monsterboy16" <monsterboy16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

how to get the pointer variable address from a dll
hi all, I have a DLL which has a output parameter LPVOID, A application calls this DLL function, the Dll responsibility is to assign a valid pointer to the lpBuffer, Till here it is OK, but once it returns to the Application this lpBuffer becomes NULL. Prototype, __declspec(dllexport) BOOL TRSTMonGetStatus(LPVOID lpBuffer) Please let me know what to do, I am stuck in this. try this __declspec(dllexport) BOOL TRSTMonGetStatus(LPVOID &lpBuffer) AliR. <karunyalakshmi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1182179607.989434.318540@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > > hi a...