Y	N	N	N
N	Y	N	N
N	N	Y	N
N	N	Y	Y

Columns will always be U through X and will always be sorted in this order.
I need to find the first Y in each column and insert 2 rows above that row.
On the blank row above the first Y, I need to highlight in yellow and put
title in the first cell, such as New, Old, Existing, Deleted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Dee

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software
dguillett@gmail.com
"Dee Sperling" <DeeSperling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The set up looks like this:
> ColU ColV ColW ColX
> Y N N N
> Y N N N
> N Y N N
> N N Y N
> N N Y N
> N N Y N
> N N Y N
> N N Y Y
>
> Columns will always be U through X and will always be sorted in this
> order.
> I need to find the first Y in each column and insert 2 rows above that
> row.
> On the blank row above the first Y, I need to highlight in yellow and put
> title in the first cell, such as New, Old, Existing, Deleted.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Dee

0
Don
5/5/2010 1:24:52 PM
You didn't specify the "rules" for what titles to use, so this routine does
what you asked byt just puts the word "Title" in the yellow cell:

Sub InsertY()
    For col = 21 To 24
        rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
        Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).Insert shift:=xlDown
        Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
        Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = "Title"
    Next
End Sub

Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"Dee Sperling" wrote:

> The set up looks like this:
> ColU	ColV	ColW	ColX
> Y	N	N	N
> Y	N	N	N
> N	Y	N	N
> N	N	Y	N
> N	N	Y	N
> N	N	Y	N
> N	N	Y	N
> N	N	Y	Y
>
> Columns will always be U through X and will always be sorted in this order.
> I need to find the first Y in each column and insert 2 rows above that row.
> On the blank row above the first Y, I need to highlight in yellow and put
> title in the first cell, such as New, Old, Existing, Deleted.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Dee
The titles will be New, Old, Existing, Deleted in that order from U to X.
Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

I put the code in my module but I get Run-time errro '91":
Opject variable or With block variable not set

I'm using Excel 2003, is that the cause?

"Bob Umlas, Excel MVP" wrote:

> You didn't specify the "rules" for what titles to use, so this routine does
> what you asked byt just puts the word "Title" in the yellow cell:
>
> Sub InsertY()
>     For col = 21 To 24
>         rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>         Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).Insert shift:=xlDown
>         Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
>         Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = "Title"
>     Next
> End Sub
>
> Bob Umlas
> Excel MVP
>
> "Dee Sperling" wrote:
>
> > The set up looks like this:
> > ColU	ColV	ColW	ColX
> > Y	N	N	N
> > Y	N	N	N
> > N	Y	N	N
> > N	N	Y	N
> > N	N	Y	N
> > N	N	Y	N
> > N	N	Y	N
> > N	N	Y	Y
> >
> > Columns will always be U through X and will always be sorted in this order.
> > I need to find the first Y in each column and insert 2 rows above that row.
> > On the blank row above the first Y, I need to highlight in yellow and put
> > title in the first cell, such as New, Old, Existing, Deleted.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks for your time,
> > Dee
Would help if I said what line it stops on:
rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row

"Bob Umlas, Excel MVP" wrote:

> You didn't specify the "rules" for what titles to use, so this routine does
> what you asked byt just puts the word "Title" in the yellow cell:
>
> Sub InsertY()
>     For col = 21 To 24
>         rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>         Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).Insert shift:=xlDown
>         Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
>         Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = "Title"
>     Next
> End Sub
>
> Bob Umlas
> Excel MVP
>
> "Dee Sperling" wrote:
>
> > The set up looks like this:
> > ColU	ColV	ColW	ColX
> > Y	N	N	N
> > Y	N	N	N
> > N	Y	N	N
> > N	N	Y	N
> > N	N	Y	N
> > N	N	Y	N
> > N	N	Y	N
> > N	N	Y	Y
> >
> > Columns will always be U through X and will always be sorted in this order.
> > I need to find the first Y in each column and insert 2 rows above that row.
> > On the blank row above the first Y, I need to highlight in yellow and put
> > title in the first cell, such as New, Old, Existing, Deleted.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks for your time,
> > Dee
It would probably help if I specified which line it stops on:
rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row

"Dee Sperling" wrote:

> The titles will be New, Old, Existing, Deleted in that order from U to X.
> Sorry I didn't make that clearer.
>
> I put the code in my module but I get Run-time errro '91":
> Opject variable or With block variable not set
>
> I'm using Excel 2003, is that the cause?
>
> "Bob Umlas, Excel MVP" wrote:
>
> > You didn't specify the "rules" for what titles to use, so this routine does
> > what you asked byt just puts the word "Title" in the yellow cell:
> >
> > Sub InsertY()
> >     For col = 21 To 24
> >         rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
> >         Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).Insert shift:=xlDown
> >         Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
> >         Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = "Title"
> >     Next
> > End Sub
> >
> > Bob Umlas
> > Excel MVP
> >
> > "Dee Sperling" wrote:
> >
> > > The set up looks like this:
> > > ColU	ColV	ColW	ColX
> > > Y	N	N	N
> > > Y	N	N	N
> > > N	Y	N	N
> > > N	N	Y	N
> > > N	N	Y	N
> > > N	N	Y	N
> > > N	N	Y	N
> > > N	N	Y	Y
> > >
> > > Columns will always be U through X and will always be sorted in this order.
> > > I need to find the first Y in each column and insert 2 rows above that row.
> > > On the blank row above the first Y, I need to highlight in yellow and put
> > > title in the first cell, such as New, Old, Existing, Deleted.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your time,
> > > Dee
As structured, the code expects you to have the worksheet with your Y's and
N's as the active worksheet. Go back and select that worksheet and then try
running the code again.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

> It would probably help if I specified which line it stops on:
> rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>
> "Dee Sperling" wrote:
>
>> The titles will be New, Old, Existing, Deleted in that order from U to X.
>> Sorry I didn't make that clearer.
>>
>> I put the code in my module but I get Run-time errro '91":
>> Opject variable or With block variable not set
>>
>> I'm using Excel 2003, is that the cause?
>>
>> "Bob Umlas, Excel MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > You didn't specify the "rules" for what titles to use, so this routine
>> > does
>> > what you asked byt just puts the word "Title" in the yellow cell:
>> >
>> > Sub InsertY()
>> >     For col = 21 To 24
>> >         rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>> >         Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).Insert shift:=xlDown
>> >         Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
>> >         Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = "Title"
>> >     Next
>> > End Sub
>> >
>> > Bob Umlas
>> > Excel MVP

0
Rick
5/5/2010 2:42:58 PM
It is running on the active sheet, it goes once and inserts a cell rather
than a row, then stops with the error.
The result in the spreadsheet looks like this:
New	Old	Existing	Deleted
	N	N	N
Title	N	N	N
Y	N	N	N
Y	N	N	N
Y	N	N	N
N	Y	N	N
N	N	Y	N
N	N	N	Y
N	N	N	Y

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> As structured, the code expects you to have the worksheet with your Y's and
> N's as the active worksheet. Go back and select that worksheet and then try
> running the code again.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Dee Sperling" <DeeSperling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It would probably help if I specified which line it stops on:
> > rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
> >
> > "Dee Sperling" wrote:
> >
> >> The titles will be New, Old, Existing, Deleted in that order from U to X.
> >> Sorry I didn't make that clearer.
> >>
> >> I put the code in my module but I get Run-time errro '91":
> >> Opject variable or With block variable not set
> >>
> >> I'm using Excel 2003, is that the cause?

> .

I do not get that error when running the posted code on my system. Did you
copy/paste it or retype it? If the later, perhaps you introduced a typo.

Anyway, here is Bob's code modified to insert whole rows and I also added a
mechanism to put your actual titles in the inserted rows; just assign the
comma delimited string of titles to the Titles constant (in the Const
statement) and do NOT use spaces around the commas in an attempt to "neaten"
things up...

Sub InsertY()
  Const Titles As String = "New,Old,Existing,Deleted"
  For col = 21 To 24
    rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
    Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).EntireRow.Insert
    Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
    Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = Split(Titles, ",")(col - 21)
  Next
End Sub

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

> It is running on the active sheet, it goes once and inserts a cell rather
> than a row, then stops with the error.
> The result in the spreadsheet looks like this:
> New Old Existing Deleted
> N N N
> Title N N N
> Y N N N
> Y N N N
> Y N N N
> N Y N N
> N N Y N
> N N N Y
> N N N Y
>

> "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
>
>> As structured, the code expects you to have the worksheet with your Y's
>> and
>> N's as the active worksheet. Go back and select that worksheet and then
>> try
>> running the code again.
>>
>> --
>> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>>

>> "Dee Sperling" <DeeSperling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It would probably help if I specified which line it stops on:
>> > rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row

>> .

0
Rick
5/5/2010 4:25:25 PM
I copied it directly.  So took your code and copied to Notepad, then into VB.
It works great, except if there is no Y in a column.  That's when it stops
at the
rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row

How would I fix that?

Thanks again.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> I do not get that error when running the posted code on my system. Did you
> copy/paste it or retype it? If the later, perhaps you introduced a typo.
>
> Anyway, here is Bob's code modified to insert whole rows and I also added a
> mechanism to put your actual titles in the inserted rows; just assign the
> comma delimited string of titles to the Titles constant (in the Const
> statement) and do NOT use spaces around the commas in an attempt to "neaten"
> things up...
>
> Sub InsertY()
>   Const Titles As String = "New,Old,Existing,Deleted"
>   For col = 21 To 24
>     rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>     Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).EntireRow.Insert
>     Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
>     Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = Split(Titles, ",")(col - 21)
>   Next
> End Sub
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Dee Sperling" <DeeSperling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It is running on the active sheet, it goes once and inserts a cell rather
> > than a row, then stops with the error.
> > The result in the spreadsheet looks like this:
> > New Old Existing Deleted
> > N N N
> > Title N N N
> > Y N N N
> > Y N N N
> > Y N N N
> > N Y N N
> > N N Y N
> > N N N Y
> > N N N Y
> >

> > "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
> >
> >> As structured, the code expects you to have the worksheet with your Y's
> >> and
> >> N's as the active worksheet. Go back and select that worksheet and then
> >> try
> >> running the code again.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rick (MVP - Excel)
> >>

> >> "Dee Sperling" <DeeSperling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>
> .

Sorry... my fault... I made an assumption that there would always be at
least one Y in each column. Give this code a try and see if it does what you
want...

Sub InsertY()
  Const Titles As String = "New,Old,Existing,Deleted"
  On Error Resume Next
  For col = 1 To 4
    rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
    If Err.Number = 0 Then
      Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).EntireRow.Insert
      Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
      Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = Split(Titles, ",")(col - 1)
    Else
      Err.Clear
    End If
  Next
End Sub

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

> I copied it directly.  So took your code and copied to Notepad, then into
> VB.
> It works great, except if there is no Y in a column.  That's when it stops
> at the
> rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>
> How would I fix that?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
>
>> I do not get that error when running the posted code on my system. Did
>> you
>> copy/paste it or retype it? If the later, perhaps you introduced a typo.
>>
>> Anyway, here is Bob's code modified to insert whole rows and I also added
>> mechanism to put your actual titles in the inserted rows; just assign the
>> comma delimited string of titles to the Titles constant (in the Const
>> statement) and do NOT use spaces around the commas in an attempt to
>> "neaten"
>> things up...
>>
>> Sub InsertY()
>>   Const Titles As String = "New,Old,Existing,Deleted"
>>   For col = 21 To 24
>>     rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>>     Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).EntireRow.Insert
>>     Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
>>     Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = Split(Titles, ",")(col - 21)
>>   Next
>> End Sub
>>
>> --
>> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>>

>> "Dee Sperling" <DeeSperling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It is running on the active sheet, it goes once and inserts a cell
>> > rather
>> > than a row, then stops with the error.
>> > The result in the spreadsheet looks like this:
>> > New Old Existing Deleted
>> > N N N
>> > Title N N N
>> > Y N N N
>> > Y N N N
>> > Y N N N
>> > N Y N N
>> > N N Y N
>> > N N N Y
>> > N N N Y

>> .

0
Rick
5/6/2010 1:53:04 PM
Sorry, I used my test limits for the columns instead of the columns you
wanted. Change the For statement to this...

For col = 21 To 24

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Rick Rothstein" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> Sorry... my fault... I made an assumption that there would always be at
> least one Y in each column. Give this code a try and see if it does what
> you want...
>
> Sub InsertY()
>  Const Titles As String = "New,Old,Existing,Deleted"
>  On Error Resume Next
>  For col = 1 To 4
>    rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>    If Err.Number = 0 Then
>      Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).EntireRow.Insert
>      Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
>      Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = Split(Titles, ",")(col - 1)
>    Else
>      Err.Clear
>    End If
>  Next
> End Sub
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Dee Sperling" <DeeSperling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I copied it directly.  So took your code and copied to Notepad, then into
>> VB.
>> It works great, except if there is no Y in a column.  That's when it
>> stops
>> at the
>> rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>>
>> How would I fix that?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
>>
>>> I do not get that error when running the posted code on my system. Did
>>> you
>>> copy/paste it or retype it? If the later, perhaps you introduced a typo.
>>>
>>> Anyway, here is Bob's code modified to insert whole rows and I also
>>> added a
>>> mechanism to put your actual titles in the inserted rows; just assign
>>> the
>>> comma delimited string of titles to the Titles constant (in the Const
>>> statement) and do NOT use spaces around the commas in an attempt to
>>> "neaten"
>>> things up...
>>>
>>> Sub InsertY()
>>>   Const Titles As String = "New,Old,Existing,Deleted"
>>>   For col = 21 To 24
>>>     rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
>>>     Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).EntireRow.Insert
>>>     Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
>>>     Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = Split(Titles, ",")(col - 21)
>>>   Next
>>> End Sub
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>>>

>>> "Dee Sperling" <DeeSperling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> .

0
Rick
5/6/2010 2:46:07 PM
Perfect!  Thank you so much!

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> Sorry, I used my test limits for the columns instead of the columns you
> wanted. Change the For statement to this...
>
> For col = 21 To 24
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Rick Rothstein" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> > Sorry... my fault... I made an assumption that there would always be at
> > least one Y in each column. Give this code a try and see if it does what
> > you want...
> >
> > Sub InsertY()
> >  Const Titles As String = "New,Old,Existing,Deleted"
> >  On Error Resume Next
> >  For col = 1 To 4
> >    rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
> >    If Err.Number = 0 Then
> >      Cells(rw, col).Resize(2).EntireRow.Insert
> >      Cells(rw + 1, col).Interior.Color = vbYellow
> >      Cells(rw + 1, col).Value = Split(Titles, ",")(col - 1)
> >    Else
> >      Err.Clear
> >    End If
> >  Next
> > End Sub
> >
> > --
> > Rick (MVP - Excel)
> >

> > "Dee Sperling" <DeeSperling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I copied it directly.  So took your code and copied to Notepad, then into
> >> VB.
> >> It works great, except if there is no Y in a column.  That's when it
> >> stops
> >> at the
> >> rw = Columns(col).Find("Y").Row
> >>
> >> How would I fix that?
> >>
> >> Thanks again.

> .

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Table Row Height and Column Width
Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher 2003? For instance, I want all the rows to be .25 inches high or 16 points high -- can I set this? No... You could create ruler guides. Right-click a ruler guide, click format ruler guides. You then can adjust your table rows by snapping to the guides. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Lori T" <Lori T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2631297F-839A-4699-B4F6-45601B771E1A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher > 2003...

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

cannot find database

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

Requesting Help Ranking Sales Values.....
I have a field in a table named "Ext B/O" that lists the extended Backorder Value for parts sold. There may be duplicate values and they should show the same rankings. I would like to rank these totals from highest to lowest dollar value. I have tried the following query coding but I only get a count of the total number of records in the query for each record (49435) and NOT the individual ranking of the value. Rank: (Select Count(*) from [tbl_WorkingData] Where [Ext B/O] >= 0)+1 Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it? Th...

retaining original column widths in excel
How do I retain original column widths when opening excel files sent to me. ...

unique value
Hi, I need to add a custom field, but I need this field to be unique (something similar to a primary key) bud I do not know how to do that. Thanks a lot. An example might be a Case number. You would add the field then add code to add one to the largest value found in the database. This will require code to implement ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "arielqs" <arielqs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10AA3E00-686E-4B58-B8C4-52B83CB1E538@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need to add a custom field, bu...

Insert File Window
Using MS Outlook 2003 after I start a new email and then want to insert a file (paper clip icon, etc.) the next window comes up full screen. I can NOT make it a flexible size, like all the other windows, including Outlook itself. That is, the "size" box in the upper left corner is GONE. Any ideas on how to get it back?? Note: I also run MS Outlook Express and it still is working fine when I go to add a file. can you double click on the title bar to restore the size? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Excha...

How do I find the out of office reply?

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

Updating the row source of a combo
Hello, I have a form which contains a comboBox representative of one of my fields. The options available in this comboBox are dependant on the other feilds for the current row. Therefore I use Form_Current to update the row source for the combo. The problem is that this update seems to happen too late. As a result, I sometimes have nothing in my comboBox's text box, even when I know a value should exist there. If I click in the combo's text box the correct value will then appear. How might I solve this problem. Thanks, Aine. On 28 May 2007 07:00:45 -0700, aine_canby@yahoo.com wrote...

Insert Signature using keyboard question
Hi Using 2007 When creating an e-mail, is it possible to insert a signature using keyboard strokes? -- Martin ���� Try Alt+N, G. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54 "Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net" wrote: > Hi > Using 2007 > When creating an e-mail, is it possible to insert a signature using > keyboard strokes? > -- > Martin > ©¿©¬ > On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 05:39:01 -0700, Sue Mos...

Referencing the Seconday Y axis scale values in code
Does anyone know how to Reference the Seconday Y axis scale values in code? I am automating a spreadsheet that uses a chart and i need to adjust these values at run time. I'm using Visual Basic. Thanks! Hi Ken, I have absolutely no idea when it comes to coding but the following KB article may point you in the right direction? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213695 Cheers, Katherine "Ken Ramirez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093901c398be$4b49ecd0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to Reference the S...