Excel libraries in VB.NET

Does anyone know the difference between the Excel 5 library and Excel
11.0 Object Library?

     I am using Visual Studio 2008 and cannot find a listing (under
COM libraries) for 11.0.

Thanks, Alan

1
Alan

The libraries are not really much different.  The libraries are mostly
wrappers which call the DLLs in Windos.  The DLL's are located in two
locations

1) Windows/system32
2) Program Files ...\Office11  (or the version of office installed
on you PC).

I don't know if excel 5 is refering to the VB-5 or Office 95.

Office 2000 and up are pretty similar just some enhancements.  Office
97 was significantly different.

If it is refering to Office product then I think this is what I
remember
5.0 is Office 1995
7.0 is Office 1997
8.0 is Office 1998  - not sure if this ever existed
9.0 is Office 2000
10.0 is Office 2002
11.0 is Office 2003
12.0 is Office 2008

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

joel
1/9/2010 10:49:26 PM
5 : Excel 5 (in 1993)
7 : Excel 95
8 :  '97

Office 1998 was for Mac, although there was Outlook 98 for PC

AFAIK VB.Net will not work with Excel 5

Regards,
Peter T

"joel" <joel.44jnhk@thecodecage.com> wrote in message

> The libraries are not really much different.  The libraries are mostly
> wrappers which call the DLLs in Windos.  The DLL's are located in two
> locations
>
> 1) Windows/system32
> 2) Program Files ...\Office11  (or the version of office installed
> on you PC).
>
> I don't know if excel 5 is refering to the VB-5 or Office 95.
>
> Office 2000 and up are pretty similar just some enhancements.  Office
> 97 was significantly different.
>
> If it is refering to Office product then I think this is what I
> remember
> 5.0 is Office 1995
> 7.0 is Office 1997
> 8.0 is Office 1998  - not sure if this ever existed
> 9.0 is Office 2000
> 10.0 is Office 2002
> 11.0 is Office 2003
> 12.0 is Office 2008
>

> --
> joel
> joel's Profile: 229
> View this thread:
> http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=168452
>
> [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
Peter
1/9/2010 11:30:49 PM
   That`s sort of what I thought.. ...

Questions:

1. What is the easiest way to find the Excel 11.0 Object Library on my
hard disk, if it exists?

2. If it`s not there, do you know if I can find it someplace and
download it?

Thanks, Alan

0
Alan
1/10/2010 12:05:44 AM
I think the IDE or Office may be forcing use of the 2007 (12.0) object
library, and I think perhaps I need to modify the "binding redirect
policy," but I cannot find an authorirative reference on this.

Alan

0
Alan
1/10/2010 12:13:05 AM
OK I understand your problem now. You will need to have Excel 2003
installed, if you have an MSDN subscription you can get it there, otherwise
I imagine it can be bought quite cheaply

You can develop in the 2007 machine, take your project to a system with 2003
and compile on that. Not ideal though. If you need to cater for both 2003 &
2007 you will find it easier to have both versions installed on your system.
Maybe you can install 2003 into a new VM. Otherwise you must install
versions in oldest first order. So uninstall 2007 before installing 2003,
then reinstall 2003. (tip - choose separate folders rather than the
default).

Regards,
Peter T

"Alan" <jalanthomas@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I think the IDE or Office may be forcing use of the 2007 (12.0) object
> library, and I think perhaps I need to modify the "binding redirect
> policy," but I cannot find an authorirative reference on this.
>
>     Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Alan

0
Peter
1/10/2010 10:37:41 AM
typo

> So uninstall 2007 before installing 2003, then reinstall 2003.

should read -

So uninstall 2007 before installing 2003, then reinstall 2007.

Peter T

"Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message
> OK I understand your problem now. You will need to have Excel 2003
> installed, if you have an MSDN subscription you can get it there,
> otherwise I imagine it can be bought quite cheaply
>
> You can develop in the 2007 machine, take your project to a system with
> 2003 and compile on that. Not ideal though. If you need to cater for both
> 2003 & 2007 you will find it easier to have both versions installed on
> your system. Maybe you can install 2003 into a new VM. Otherwise you must
> install versions in oldest first order. So uninstall 2007 before
> installing 2003, then reinstall 2003. (tip - choose separate folders
> rather than the default).
>
> Regards,
> Peter T

0
Peter
1/10/2010 10:44:53 AM
Peter,

Could you please explain your statement: "Maybe you can install 2003
into a new VM"?

Thanks for the info.  I was afraid of that.

I cannot afford an MSDN subscription, but I`ll look into buying Excel
2003.

                              Thanks, Alan
0
Alan
1/10/2010 7:46:09 PM
VM = Virtual Machine

(eg MS Virtual PC 2007)

> Peter,
>
> Could you please explain your statement: "Maybe you can install 2003
> into a new VM"?
>
> Thanks for the info.  I was afraid of that.
>
> I cannot afford an MSDN subscription, but I`ll look into buying Excel
> 2003.
>
>                              Thanks, Alan

0
Peter
1/10/2010 10:19:44 PM
Based on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/, MS Virtual PC
appears to be a feature of Windows 7.  However, I have Vista.

Thanks, Alan
0
Alan
1/10/2010 11:49:00 PM
Peter,

Is "Office XP" the same as "Office 2002" (using 10.0 object library)?

Thanks, Alan
0
Alan
1/11/2010 1:41:08 AM
I know, it's confusing, but see system requirements here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

> Based on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/, MS Virtual PC
> appears to be a feature of Windows 7.  However, I have Vista.
>
> Thanks, Alan

0
Peter
1/11/2010 7:54:17 AM
Yes, Office XP = 2002 = v.10

> Peter,
>
> Is "Office XP" the same as "Office 2002" (using 10.0 object library)?
>
> Thanks, Alan

0
Peter
1/11/2010 8:09:15 AM
Peter,

I found a PC with Excel 2003 installed.  The Excel 11.0 Object Library
is listed under COM References in VB 2008 Express.  However, when I
select it, it says it cannot find the file.  I checked under Windows
\Assembly\... and found no assembly/dll for it there.

Do you think this might be fixed by downloading the .NET
redistributable framework, or is this more likely a problem with the
Excel installation?

Thanks, Alan

0
Alan
1/12/2010 1:12:40 AM
Sounds like the Excel 11.0 Object Library is definitely there, well it must
be otherwise Excel 2003 wouldn't work.  And assuming Excel does work the
problem is nothing to do with installing the .Net update.

Maybe the project is trying to find Excel.exe in the path where it existed
in the Excel 2007 machine.

> Peter,
>
> I found a PC with Excel 2003 installed.  The Excel 11.0 Object Library
> is listed under COM References in VB 2008 Express.  However, when I
> select it, it says it cannot find the file.  I checked under Windows
> \Assembly\... and found no assembly/dll for it there.
>
> Do you think this might be fixed by downloading the .NET
> redistributable framework, or is this more likely a problem with the
> Excel installation?
>
> Thanks, Alan

0
Peter
1/12/2010 8:51:43 AM
No, this is a completely different PC, which has never had 2007 on it.

    Any ideas on what I could try?

Thanks, Alan
0
Alan
1/12/2010 6:17:37 PM
That wasn't what I meant.

Are you having problems to find Excel starting .Net as a brand new project,
or with the project originally made in the 2007 machine and copied to the
2003 machine.

If the former I don't know why you can't find the Excel library, if the
latter it's probably down to what I mentioned last time.

> No, this is a completely different PC, which has never had 2007 on it.
>
>    Any ideas on what I could try?
>
> Thanks, Alan

0
Peter
1/12/2010 6:27:30 PM
   It was a new project.

0
Alan
1/12/2010 7:07:58 PM
Can you browse to excel.exe to set the ref, apart from that I'm out of
ideas.

>   It was a new project.

0
Peter
1/12/2010 8:03:18 PM
I don't think you need to even worry.  Using the latest version of the
library on the PC with the compiler and check to make sure the code runs
on both a 2003 and 2007 machine.

All you really need to do is after creating the Excel object save the
file using SAVEAS and save the file as an XLS extension.  Also make sure
you don't use any features that aren't supported in 2003.

The application/library isn't the important issue it is the saved file
structure.  If you open an XLS file in 2003 and 2007 the excel
application will look different, but the data will be the same and all
the feature will work because excel 2007 is intenend to be upward
compatibile with excel 2003.  Both 2003 and 2007 will read the same XLS
file which will make you code run on both type of PC's.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=168452

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
joel

Printing an Excel doucument

Windows Update

excel axes

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Hey /w VB Code...
I had this code to switch my view every hour to the Outlook main screen; but it no longer works /w Outlook 2003 - can anyone help? Thanks in advance! Dim iHour Private Sub SwitchView() If Hour(Now) <> iHour Then Dim ctl As Office.CommandBarControl Dim cbpop As Office.CommandBarPopup Dim cb As Office.CommandBar Set cb = Application.ActiveExplorer.CommandBars("Menu Bar") Set ctl = cb.FindControl(ID:=5599, Recursive:=True) ctl.Execute iHour = Hour(Now) Set ctl = Nothing Set cb = Nothing End If End...

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Convert excel to java
Hi does anybody know a way to convert an XL spreadhseet (with charts) to a fully interactive Java object?? I have tried exceleverywhere and xlsius, but no luck! Thanks in advance -- shnim1 ...

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Entering hour minute only 'now' in Excel (without day/date)
How to change Time now function to give only Hour/minute time 'now' in Excel Hi just format the cell with the custom format hh:mm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7A1AFC42-791F-4397-94F2-91DE0ADB34D7@microsoft.com... > How to change Time now function to give only Hour/minute time 'now' in > Excel ...

Excel to Excel Automation
Could someone please explain the best process for taking data that has been typed into certain cells in spreadsheet and sending this information to another spreadsheet, in a different location.. Is this possible thorough VBA. Thanks for any advice.. Larry Bargers -- lbargers ------------------------------------------------------------------------ lbargers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32798 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526211 You are really better off using the destination to pull the info from the ...