Excel 2007 "Protect Sheet" option not available

Hi there,

In Excel 2007 I tried to protect certain ranges. I don't know exactly what I
did, but suddenly the "Protect Sheet" option is no longer available (it's of
course still there but cannot be selected, only "Protect Workboo" is
selectable). I cannot figure out how to unlock the Protect Sheet option. Any
ideas?

Fabz

0
Fabz

Oh, this thread solved my problem:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1039062.php

When your sheets are "grouped" in the Excel Title Bar one can find the Title
"MySheet.xlsx [Group] - Excel 2007". It is sufficient to right-click on any
sheet tab and select "ungroup sheet". Then the "Protect Sheet" button is
highlighted again. (I actually cannot remember having grouped them myself,
but it seems that Excel is sometimes doing this for whatever reason.)

Greetz
Fabz

"Fabz" <fckw@gmx.ch> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> In Excel 2007 I tried to protect certain ranges. I don't know exactly what
> I did, but suddenly the "Protect Sheet" option is no longer available
> (it's of course still there but cannot be selected, only "Protect Workboo"
> is selectable). I cannot figure out how to unlock the Protect Sheet
> option. Any ideas?
>
> Fabz

0
Fabz
5/14/2010 11:31:20 AM
>but it seems that Excel is sometimes doing this for whatever reason.)

I can't imagine under which circumstances Excel would do this on its own.

If you are not manually grouping then you must have code running that groups
the sheets.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 14 May 2010 13:31:20 +0200, "Fabz" <fckw@gmx.ch> wrote:

>Oh, this thread solved my problem:
>
>http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1039062.php
>
>When your sheets are "grouped" in the Excel Title Bar one can find the Title
>"MySheet.xlsx [Group] - Excel 2007". It is sufficient to right-click on any
>sheet tab and select "ungroup sheet". Then the "Protect Sheet" button is
>highlighted again. (I actually cannot remember having grouped them myself,
>but it seems that Excel is sometimes doing this for whatever reason.)
>
>Greetz
>Fabz
>

>"Fabz" <fckw@gmx.ch> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> In Excel 2007 I tried to protect certain ranges. I don't know exactly what
>> I did, but suddenly the "Protect Sheet" option is no longer available
>> (it's of course still there but cannot be selected, only "Protect Workboo"
>> is selectable). I cannot figure out how to unlock the Protect Sheet
>> option. Any ideas?
>>
>> Fabz

0
Gord

Protect Sheet after an entry.
I have created a macro that allows users to enter specific info at the beginning with a form. When they click on OK, the sheet is protected but a specific range of cells is unlocked so that they can paste specific data from another program. I want the entire sheet to become protected (or to lock the cells again) as soon as the user pastes this values to a cell. How can I do this? Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ In a Worksheet_Change event you c...

Working in Excel 2003 but not Excel 2007. Can not protect sheet.
Hi, User entered data on Excel Sheet(s) and send to receipant. The returned sheet(s) should be locked and should not be modfied by the receipant. It works in Excel 2003. However, it does not work in Excel 2007. User sent the worksheet(s) but the sheet(s) did not lock as in Excel 2003. Receipants can modify the sheet(s). I tried many different ways without success. Please help and thank you for your support. Private Sub cmdEmail_Click() Dim cnt As Integer Dim destWb, srcWb As Workbook Dim tmpWin, actWin As Window Dim stWbPath As String On Error Resu...

protect & unprotect sheets
Is there a way to protect and unprotect *multiple* sheets at once. All the sheets have the same password (say 1234). Khalil You could use code like below, but cannot do it through the UI Sub ProtectAll() Dim wks As Worksheet For Each wks In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets wks.Protect Password:="1234" Next wks End Sub Sub UnProtectAll() Dim wks As Worksheet For Each wks In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets wks.Unprotect Password:="1234" Next wks End Sub -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS web: www.nickhodge.co.uk blo...

Protect sheet help
I have a worksheet was setup to allow users to edit certain ranges when worksheet is protected. I deleted one of the ranges which users should not edit it anymore from the “Allow Users Edit Ranges…” window; however, the deleted range was editable even when the worksheet was protected. Just to experiment, I deleted all ranges from the “Allow Users Edit Ranges…” window, therefore, users should not be able to edit the entire worksheet when the worksheet is protected, and however, I was able to edit all ranges that were pervious setup to allow users to edit. Any ideas? Check that the cells are...

Protect Workbook Vs Protect Sheet
Hiii hope u are all ok. i have a problem about protect workbook.when i go to tools menus and then point to Protection and click on the protect work book to protect workbook can't be done as it should be.. probably i don't know the proper way how to protect a workbook........ plz help me . thank u very much indeed. (inadvance) Hi there, you can protect the workbook itself (against modification = read only, or even fully, against all access) when saving the file: file menu/ save as/ Tools (dropdown list on the panel right hand side) / settings and adding the PW hope, this help...

Protect sheet Excel 2007
When I protect a sheet in Excel 2007 I can't then allow users to edit objects. Am I doing something wrong? Works fine in 2003 With the sheet unprotected, right click the edge of the shape and select "Size and Properties". On the Properties tab uncheck "Locked". -- Jim "teepee" <teepee@noemail.com> wrote in message news:460d7919$1_2@x-privat.org... > When I protect a sheet in Excel 2007 I can't then allow users to edit > objects. Am I doing something wrong? Works fine in 2003 > > "Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com>...

Unprotect sheet when printing
Have the below code to print a sheet, increment a invoice number and remove protection from sheet, at the moment the passowrd is nothing I nee to change this to qwert and edit the formula to up protect sheet on print and re protect it after the incrementing of the invoice number. Any help would be appreaciated. Sub dayprint() ' ' dayprint Macro ' ' ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True Sheet13.Unprotect 'Increment the invoice number [e3] = [e3] + 1 Sheet13.Protect ' Save Macro ' Macro recorded 19/08/20...

Group
I have a sheet that has rows and columns that are grouped. I need to protect rollup portion of the grouped rows. However, when I do that and protect the sheet, I can no longer group and ungroup. How can I allow the user to group and ungroup rows and columns but protect the grouped row? Example: row 4 is a rollup of MY DATA with the next 10 rows as supporting/detailed data. I have created a group so that I can contract 9 of the rows and show only the rollup MY DATA or expand it and show all the subordinate data. The formulas in the columns MY DATA are protected while the cells in the supporti...

Unprotect Sheet
I have forgotten the password to unprotect a sheet in an excel file - is there any other way I can unprotect the file. Take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html In article <1ece01c38349$e8c7df10$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "M Duffy" <mary.duffy@logicacmg.com> wrote: > I have forgotten the password to unprotect a sheet in an > excel file - is there any other way I can unprotect the > file. ...

Protect Sheet not allowing insert or delete rows. VBA buttons not solving problem ?
I created a spreadsheet, and I used protection-->protect worksheet to prevent users from deleting the heading section that exists above the rows that follow. I also put a password in. I want the user to be able to insert or delete rows below the headings where they enter data, but this is being prevented by Excel since I set protect worksheet with a password. If I set protect worksheet without using a password, it works great. I coded 2-buttons for insert and delete in hopes of getting around this problem. But the password pops up when I hit a button attempting to insert or delete. By the...

Excel
What is the difference between "protect sheet" and "protect workbook" in Excel? Gotta be homework but each worksheet is part of a workbook. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "DirtbykeDiva" <DirtbykeDiva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6804F7CA-7BB8-46EC-8AC8-714033CE99FE@microsoft.com... > What is the difference between "protect sheet" and "protect workbook" in Excel? Like the difference between locking the outside doors and locking the door on a single room -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/peopl...

"Protect Sheet" #3
I am using Excel 2007 with Vista Home Premium. I have 15 workbooks, each with 12 sheets. I want each sheet (not the workbook) password protected to prevent any accidental to interference with formulae. With a total of 180 worksheets I am a bit disappointed there is no way other than protecting each sheet one at a time entering each password twice...! ......Or am I wrong? I sincerely hope I am. Can anyone help? TIA Hi, There is no built-in way, however, you can write a VBA macro. Sub ProtectMe() For each sh in Worksheets sh.Protect Password:="x" Next sh End sub If ...

excel vba
I have set up my sheet to protect using a password name login which the runs the macros. It is set up so that the sheet's cells cannot b edited, but the person can copy/paste the info onto another sheet. This is a problem because there are hidden cells which contai sensitive data. Any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, just a comment that i just found out, check out this link that I was refered too. That password that you setup doesn't do squat when you have access to this... http://www.straxx.com/excel/password.html I was mad when I saw this, when mean...

excel vba
Is it possible to protect a sheet's cells against manual typing, but b able to input data into the cells through userforms. Basically, I hav an inventory set up with a main page which opens, which is used t click on the appropriate button and navigate to a specified userform. Once there, you enter the number in the textbox and click a (+) or (- button to edit the inventory count. However, there are some peopl which have to use the page for adding inventory, and others who ar only supposed to view the page for quick reference. Is there a way t protect the cells against people simply view...

Protect Sheet
One of my users has inadvertently protected a worksheet with the AutoFilter on and filtering. He has no idea what the password is since he is unaware of setting one. Does anyone know a way around this? We've tried copy/paste but since the data is filtered, it isn't much use. Thanks for any help. Sorry, had a problem when sending the first time. It didn't appear to go through at all. Thanks. DJ "J.E. McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message news:jemcgimpsey-520AA8.09163802092003@msnews.microsoft.com... > See one possible solution in reply to your p...

Protect Sheet > All sheets
Hi I'm using Excel 97 and get a bit annoyed having to Protect each worksheet individually. Is there a way where I can password protect all sheets in a workbook? Please advise -- Adam ----------- Windows 98 + Office Pro 97 Hi Adam only by using code such as: Sub ProtectAll() For each ws in sheets ws.protect("pwd") Next End Sub 'and to unprotect Sub UnprotectAll() For each ws in sheets ws.unprotect("pwd") Next End Sub ---- Please post back if you'ld like assistance using this code. Note - you'll need to change pwd t...

cannot protect sheet with auto filter
Hi, heres what I have xp home xp office suite. I am using a sheet for grocery list database with auto filter. the headers at the top are like "quantity", "Item", "catagory". Normally I can select cells that I want to enter data and unlock them. then protect the sheet. but...with an auto filter If I select the headers mentioned above and lock them, then select all other cells and unlock them. the auto filter pull down list's dont pull down cause the headers are locked. Im explaining this the best I can but I may be leaving something out. Anyone? Greg ...

excel vba
I have a workbook set up and i'm having a tough time with this protection stuff. I have tried different .unprotect methods but it doesn't work. I have a print button with coded conditions such as if cell a1 = "this" then certain cells get the borders formatted to be white, etc. then it prints one page, changes the format back and then prints 2 pages like that and saves the page. Anyways, bottom line is that there are format changes which are done before and after printing. My code is set up so that as soon as the person goes into the main page, it becomes protected in order t...

Protect sheet
Hi I protected a certain range but I would also like to disbale any entry in that area that is not in number format, HOW I know it is possible, I've seen in but don't know how to do it Thanx Ivic Ivica, If you mean allow only numbers, try Data -Validation - Whole number or Decimal. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Ivica" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:600EE201-0A2B-49A6-A38D-A6020A94162D@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I protected a certain range but I wou...

Excel 2007 "Protect Sheet" option not available
Hi there, In Excel 2007 I tried to protect certain ranges. I don't know exactly what I did, but suddenly the "Protect Sheet" option is no longer available (it's of course still there but cannot be selected, only "Protect Workboo" is selectable). I cannot figure out how to unlock the Protect Sheet option. Any ideas? Fabz Oh, this thread solved my problem: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1039062.php When your sheets are "grouped" in the Excel Title Bar one can find the Title "MySheet.xlsx [Group] - Excel 2007". ...

Unprotect Sheet Password Lost
One of my users has inadvertently protected a worksheet (i.e. doesn't know how he did it) while the AutoFilter was on. He has no idea what the password may be. Is there any way to override this? Since the data was filtered, it can't even be copied and pasted in to a new sheet. Thanks for any help. Thanks, this was just what we needed! DJ "J.E. McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message news:jemcgimpsey-53D5AE.09074202092003@msnews.microsoft.com... > Check out > > http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html > > In article <#hH#MMW...

Protect Sheet
When I initially protect the worksheet it will not allow the users to edit objects or scenarios - this works great, but once I click on the button to add more lines the protection is gone and the user can click on any object or scenario and modify. Can I eliminate this from happening Thanks in advance Linda Linda What button? You apparently have some code (macro) linked to that button that unprotects the sheet and adds rows, from what you say. That same code can be written to reapply the protection. Post that code. HTH Otto "LRay67" <LRay67@discuss...

Protect sheet #3
I am working on an Excel document witch is a big database. I would like to set a password with the "protect sheet" option in the Tools/Protection menu. "Normal" users who will open the database won't be able to edit the document, but will rather open it in "read only" mode. The problem is that I still want these users to be able to use the "auto filter" and also use the "sort A-Z" option. I have tried to select these options in the configuration of the protection (protect sheet window) but it doesn't work. I can't do any of those tw...

Protect Sheet and Lock Cells
Hi, is it possible to protect a worksheet so users can only select unlocked cells in Excel 2000? I have a worksheet with certain cells protected. Users of the worksheet can select all of the cells and modify only the unprotected cells. I want them to only be able to select (and modify) the unprotected cells. I know how to do it in Excel 2002, but can't figure it out in Excel 2000. Thanks for any help. You could have a macro that does the protecting--put it in your auto_open or workbook_open event: Option Explicit Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") ...

the unprotect sheet is not highlighted
I protected a set of worksheet in a work book and now I need to "unprotect" them but the "unprotect sheet" is not highlighted. Please help -- confused have you unprotected the workbook first then tried to unproect the work sheet? -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Maddie" wrote: > I protected a set of worksheet in a work book and now I need to "unprotect" > them but the "unprotect sheet" is not highlighted. P...