Excel 2003 VBA program kills itself in Japan

Hi,

I wrote a VBA program for an Excel workbook. This program works just
fine on my PC (US English setup), but my japanese collegues have
problems. We observed that the VBA program changes on a japanese PC to
the extent that syntax errors occur.

This is how it happens:

My code looks like this:
------------------------------------
Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
    Dim ill As String

    ill = "´`@€²³°^<>\*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' list of illegal characters
    ReplIllegal = ""

    txt = Replace(txt, "ä", "ae")
    txt = Replace(txt, "ö", "oe")
    txt = Replace(txt, "ü", "ue")
    txt = Replace(txt, "Ä", "Ae")
<snip>
-------------------------------------

If the workbook is opened on a japanese computer, the code looks like
this
('$' stands for various japanese characters):
------------------------------------
Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
    Dim ill As String

    ill = "$`@$$$$^<>$*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' Japanese characters!
    ReplIllegal = ""

    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ae")      ' Syntax Error
    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "oe")      ' Syntax Error
    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ue")      ' Syntax Error
    txt = Replace(txt, "$", "Ae")
<snip>
-------------------------------------

Very bad is the replacement of "ä" by ". where the closing quotation
mark gets lost. That leads to a syntax error.

Is there any chance to avoid this problem? The solution must be applied
to the workbook. A client side solution (e.g. installation of an add-on)
is not acceptable.

TIA,
Christian
0
Christian

That doesn't sound good at all !
As a workaround try this -

txt = Replace(txt, Chr$(228), "ae")  '  �

for your other characters, in the Immediate window type
?�
and hit enter

Or type in cells and return with =CODE(A1)

Regards,
Peter T

"Christian Treffler" <CTreffler.NG.Dev0@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a VBA program for an Excel workbook. This program works just
> fine on my PC (US English setup), but my japanese collegues have
> problems. We observed that the VBA program changes on a japanese PC to
> the extent that syntax errors occur.
>
> This is how it happens:
>
> My code looks like this:
> ------------------------------------
> Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
>    Dim ill As String
>
>    ill = "�`@?���^<>\*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' list of illegal characters
>    ReplIllegal = ""
>
>    txt = Replace(txt, "�", "ae")
>    txt = Replace(txt, "�", "oe")
>    txt = Replace(txt, "�", "ue")
>    txt = Replace(txt, "�", "Ae")
> <snip>
> -------------------------------------
>
> If the workbook is opened on a japanese computer, the code looks like
> this
> ('$' stands for various japanese characters):
> ------------------------------------
> Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
>    Dim ill As String
>
>    ill = "$`@$$$$^<>$*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' Japanese characters!
>    ReplIllegal = ""
>
>    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ae")      ' Syntax Error
>    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "oe")      ' Syntax Error
>    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ue")      ' Syntax Error
>    txt = Replace(txt, "$", "Ae")
> <snip>
> -------------------------------------
>
> Very bad is the replacement of "�" by ". where the closing quotation
> mark gets lost. That leads to a syntax error.
>
> Is there any chance to avoid this problem? The solution must be applied
> to the workbook. A client side solution (e.g. installation of an add-on)
> is not acceptable.
>
> TIA,
> Christian

0
Peter
2/23/2010 4:35:32 PM
Christian Treffler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a VBA program for an Excel workbook. This program works just
> fine on my PC (US English setup), but my japanese collegues have
> problems. We observed that the VBA program changes on a japanese PC to
> the extent that syntax errors occur.
>
> This is how it happens:
>
> My code looks like this:
> ------------------------------------
> Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
>     Dim ill As String
>
>     ill = "´`@€²³°^<>\*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' list of illegal characters
>     ReplIllegal = ""
>
>     txt = Replace(txt, "ä", "ae")
>     txt = Replace(txt, "ö", "oe")
>     txt = Replace(txt, "ü", "ue")
>     txt = Replace(txt, "Ä", "Ae")
> <snip>
> -------------------------------------
>
> If the workbook is opened on a japanese computer, the code looks like
> this
> ('$' stands for various japanese characters):
> ------------------------------------
> Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
>     Dim ill As String
>
>     ill = "$`@$$$$^<>$*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' Japanese characters!
>     ReplIllegal = ""
>
>     txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ae")      ' Syntax Error
>     txt = Replace(txt, ". , "oe")      ' Syntax Error
>     txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ue")      ' Syntax Error
>     txt = Replace(txt, "$", "Ae")
> <snip>
> -------------------------------------
>
> Very bad is the replacement of "ä" by ". where the closing quotation
> mark gets lost. That leads to a syntax error.
>
> Is there any chance to avoid this problem? The solution must be applied
> to the workbook. A client side solution (e.g. installation of an add-on)
> is not acceptable.

I can tell you what the problem is. Japanese DBCS or 16bit Unicode
character escapes begin with the top bit set. Having explicit top bit
set single character constants in your code like that will break in a
Japanese environment and swallow the immediately following character.

AscW(), DBCS and Unicode may help.

Another solution might be to have two versions of the code and check the
  machine environment to decide which one to run.

Regards,
Martin Brown
0
Martin
2/23/2010 4:54:50 PM
I would refrain from using string literals for characters not between
Chr(0) and Chr(127) when doing cross-language programming. Instead, I
would set up at table of numerics indicating the characters to be
replaced and the replacement characters.  For exampe, you could create
a table like

Const US_REPLACE = "34,0;14,0;48,49;50,51"

Here, there are three replacement pairs, separated by semi-colons:

34,0
14,0
48,49
50,51

Each pair consists of the character code to replace and the character
code by which it is to be replaced separated by commas.  A replacement
character of  0 is to be taken to mean a replacement with a 0 length
string (not Chr(0) ). So, with these pairs, Chr(34) and Chr(14) are to
be replace by vbNullString and Chr(48) replaced by Chr(49) and Chr(50)
replaced by Chr(51).

Then, use the GetUserDefaultLangID API function to get the user's
current locale ID (1033 = US_EN, 1041 =JP_JP) and choose either the US
replacement table or the Japanese replacement table. Run through those
replacement pairs to get rid of illegal characters and other
replacements.

The code that follows does all of this.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
' START CODE
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Public Declare Function GetUserDefaultLangID Lib "kernel32" () As Long
Const US_REPLACE = "34,0;14,0;48,49;50,51"
Const JP_REPLACE = "32,0;15,0;48,50;49,51"
Const LANG_US_EN = 1033
Const LANG_JP_JP = 1041

Function ReplaceIllegal(Txt As String) As String
    Dim ReplPairs() As String
    Dim ReplWhat As String
    Dim ReplWith As String
    Dim OnePair() As String
    Dim Locale As Long
    Dim N As Long
    Dim T As String

    T = Txt
    Locale = GetUserDefaultLangID()
    If Locale = LANG_US_EN Then
        ReplPairs = Split(US_REPLACE, ";")
    Else
        ReplPairs = Split(JP_REPLACE, ";")
    End If
    For N = LBound(ReplPairs) To UBound(ReplPairs)
        OnePair = Split(ReplPairs(N), ",")
        ReplWhat = ChrW(CLng(OnePair(0)))
        If OnePair(1) = "0" Then
            ReplWith = vbNullString
        Else
            ReplWith = ChrW(CLng(OnePair(1)))
        End If

        T = Replace(T, ReplWhat, ReplWith)
    Next N
    ReplaceIllegal = T
End Function
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
' END CODE
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Then, you can call this code with something like

Sub AAA()
    Dim S As String
    Dim T As String
    S = "hello world 123"
    T = ReplaceIllegal(S)
    Debug.Print Len(T), T
End Sub

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
	Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:30:30 +0100, Christian Treffler
<CTreffler.NG.Dev0@gmx.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I wrote a VBA program for an Excel workbook. This program works just
>fine on my PC (US English setup), but my japanese collegues have
>problems. We observed that the VBA program changes on a japanese PC to
>the extent that syntax errors occur.
>
>This is how it happens:
>
>My code looks like this:
>------------------------------------
>Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
>    Dim ill As String
>
>    ill = "�`@����^<>\*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' list of illegal characters
>    ReplIllegal = ""
>
>    txt = Replace(txt, "�", "ae")
>    txt = Replace(txt, "�", "oe")
>    txt = Replace(txt, "�", "ue")
>    txt = Replace(txt, "�", "Ae")
><snip>
>-------------------------------------
>
>If the workbook is opened on a japanese computer, the code looks like
>this
>('$' stands for various japanese characters):
>------------------------------------
>Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
>    Dim ill As String
>
>    ill = "$`@$$$$^<>$*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' Japanese characters!
>    ReplIllegal = ""
>
>    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ae")      ' Syntax Error
>    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "oe")      ' Syntax Error
>    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ue")      ' Syntax Error
>    txt = Replace(txt, "$", "Ae")
><snip>
>-------------------------------------
>
>Very bad is the replacement of "�" by ". where the closing quotation
>mark gets lost. That leads to a syntax error.
>
>Is there any chance to avoid this problem? The solution must be applied
>to the workbook. A client side solution (e.g. installation of an add-on)
>is not acceptable.
>
>TIA,
>Christian
0
Chip
2/23/2010 4:56:31 PM
That looks like a much better suggestion than the workaround I proposed! One
thing though, if the OP needs to cater for more than only US & Japan might
need a bit extend this part

>    If Locale = LANG_US_EN Then
>        ReplPairs = Split(US_REPLACE, ";")
>    Else
>        ReplPairs = Split(JP_REPLACE, ";")
>    End If

My "English" Locale is 2057, or the in Hex on this page 0x0809, so the If
check assumed I have Japanese.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd318693(VS.85).aspx

However even ensuring I got this
  ReplPairs = Split(US_REPLACE, ";")
the function did not replace the required character. Not sure if that means
defining more replacement pairs for other languages, incl say GB-Eng

Regards,
Peter T

"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>this
>>('$' stands for various japanese characters):
>>------------------------------------
>>Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
>>    Dim ill As String
>>
>>    ill = "$`@$$$$^<>$*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' Japanese characters!
>>    ReplIllegal = ""
>>
>>    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ae")      ' Syntax Error
>>    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "oe")      ' Syntax Error
>>    txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ue")      ' Syntax Error
>>    txt = Replace(txt, "$", "Ae")
>><snip>
>>-------------------------------------
>>
>>Very bad is the replacement of "�" by ". where the closing quotation
>>mark gets lost. That leads to a syntax error.
>>
>>Is there any chance to avoid this problem? The solution must be applied
>>to the workbook. A client side solution (e.g. installation of an add-on)

0
Peter
2/23/2010 5:33:22 PM
Peter T schrieb:

> As a workaround try this -
>
> txt = Replace(txt, Chr$(228), "ae")  '  �

That's easy enough. Thanks to you and all the others for your inputs.

CU,
Christian
0
Christian
2/27/2010 9:23:39 AM
I confirm.
Code changes itself between English and Japanese computers.
You will not find that bug if you simply change language to Japanese.
You have to have "true" Japanese Windows.

It happens when "text code" is internally loaded and interpreted by VBE
and it happens for non-ascii characters.

just new feature.

workaround for this is to build that string dynamically not to use
non-ascii characters in code

instead of
    ill = "´`@€²³°^<>\*./[]:;|=?,"""

it should be
ill = chrw(1234) + chrw(2345)+ chrw(3456) .... and so on.

On 2/23/2010 9:30 AM, Christian Treffler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a VBA program for an Excel workbook. This program works just
> fine on my PC (US English setup), but my japanese collegues have
> problems. We observed that the VBA program changes on a japanese PC to
> the extent that syntax errors occur.
>
> This is how it happens:
>
> My code looks like this:
> ------------------------------------
> Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
>      Dim ill As String
>
>      ill = "´`@€²³°^<>\*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' list of illegal characters
>      ReplIllegal = ""
>
>      txt = Replace(txt, "ä", "ae")
>      txt = Replace(txt, "ö", "oe")
>      txt = Replace(txt, "ü", "ue")
>      txt = Replace(txt, "Ä", "Ae")
> <snip>
> -------------------------------------
>
> If the workbook is opened on a japanese computer, the code looks like
> this
> ('$' stands for various japanese characters):
> ------------------------------------
> Function ReplIllegal(ByVal txt As String) As String
>      Dim ill As String
>
>      ill = "$`@$$$$^<>$*./[]:;|=?,"""   ' Japanese characters!
>      ReplIllegal = ""
>
>      txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ae")      ' Syntax Error
>      txt = Replace(txt, ". , "oe")      ' Syntax Error
>      txt = Replace(txt, ". , "ue")      ' Syntax Error
>      txt = Replace(txt, "$", "Ae")
> <snip>
> -------------------------------------
>
> Very bad is the replacement of "ä" by ". where the closing quotation
> mark gets lost. That leads to a syntax error.
>
> Is there any chance to avoid this problem? The solution must be applied
> to the workbook. A client side solution (e.g. installation of an add-on)
> is not acceptable.
>
> TIA,
> Christian

0
Krzysztof

Printing an Excel doucument

Can�t open some mail in Exchange 2003
Hi! I�m using exchange 2003 and Outlook 2000 and 2003 I have some mail that I can�t open, I get the error "Can�t open this item, The operation failed." I can view, delete or take backup on the mails. I have tried to resote an old backup, the I get two mails with the exact same name, I can open the restored mail, but still not the orginal. How can I delete the bad mails? Is their a tool to check all the mailboxes for errors in Exchange 2003. Best regards Joakim Sweden ISINTEG will help you. Make sure that you have usable backup before you start. Jocke wrote: > Hi! > &g...

Windows Update

unable to open outlook 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi , i'm unable to open my Outlook 2003 , it gives error = message as "cannot start microsoft office outlook 2003,unable to open = the outlook window. the set of folders could not be opened . the server = is not available " plz help me to fix this issue With Regards, Ramesh.C ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"...

excel axes

Do I need Windows 2003 Enterprise for Exchange 2003 Enterprise?
Hi I am upgrading our server to Windows 2003 either Standard or Enterprise. I know that I want Exchange 2003 Enterprise because we have the Standard version at the moment and are about to hit the 16GB limit. Do I need Windows 2003 Enterprise for Exchange 2003 Enterprise? What will Windows 2003 Enterprise give me that Standard does not? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. No you don't. You would only need Windows 2003 Enterprise if you are planning on doing clustering. I'm sure there are some other things it will get you, but clustering capability is one of the big additions. -...

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Offline Defrag of Exchange 2003 not representing database size cor
I have Exchange 2003 Sp2 installed. I need to do an offline defrag due to database size. My database should be 15Gb smaller than the actual database size. When I run eseutil the defrag completes successfully but doesnt change the file size. The online defrag run correctly but only free up 10-15Mb. Any suggestions? What makes you think it should be 15GB smaller than it is? Nue "Lynn" <Lynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8047F0C-D1DE-49B4-96AD-4F8B572CF381@microsoft.com... >I have Exchange 2003 Sp2 installed. I need to do an offline defrag due to >...

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

Outlook 2003 #28
Will Outlook 2003 allow install on one owner, two machines (desktop and Laptop), or do you have to purchase 2 copies? Dick ...

version excel

How can I set up a student data base using word 2003?
I am a music teacher and would like to set up a data base for my students including information regarding - exams, competitions and results. Names, ages, birthday reminders, parents details and goods and services delivered. I use Microsoft Office 2003. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks. Decide what you want to keep track of and put each piece of information into separate cells. And one row per entry--don't put the data for one person on multiple rows. Try to keep your data on a single worksheet. If you thought that you'd want multiple worksheets (one for each class),...

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Outlook 2003: Run-time error / Automation Error
We have been using a 3rd party add-in for several years with various configurations of Outlook/Windows and Exchange 5.5. The application is called organiziQ.Team and we are no longer eligible for support (nor does the company support the product anymore to my knowledge). It allows the user to focus on an individual calendar while seeing an overview of multiple calendars at the same time. Anyway, I'm trying out Office 2003 (we have it anyway through our organization) and I can't seem to get the application to launch properly. The system is fully patched. I'll add the add-in, the...

a few basic Exchange 2003 questions
Hello all, I have been given the responsibility of implementing Exchange 2003 for our company in March this year. I will be going on a five day training course soon and have been doing some reading - I also have experience in the administration (not installation/configuration) of Exchange 2000 some years ago. There are a few questions I would like to ask, if anyone can answer them of the top of their heads. 1. what is the basic capacity of a single Exchange 2003 Standard - I'm thinking it can cope with about 500-2500 mailboxes/users 2. can the OWA part of it use pass-through authentifi...