delete rows that have a duplicate id keeping the upper row

 I neeed a macro that will delte a row based on a duplicate value in column A;
 Row        col A                          col B              col C
            Claim Number	DCC	Warranty Code
     1      0132482B	                DTYC	         03D
     2      0137448A		                             1
     3      0141614A		                         01D
     4      0141614A
     5      0141614A
     6      0143504B		                              1
     7      0154120A	                 DW77	           01D
     8      0154120A
     9      0159953A	                 DWL0	             03D
In this example I want to delete rows 4,5, and 8 How might this be
accomlpished? Thanks.
Bruce

Try code like

Sub AAA()
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim RowNdx As Long
    Dim N As Long

    With ActiveSheet
    End With
    For RowNdx = LastRow To 2 Step -1
        N = Application.CountIf( _
            Range(Cells(2, "A"), Cells(RowNdx, "A")), _
            Cells(RowNdx, "A"))
        If N > 1 Then
            Rows(RowNdx).Delete
        End If
    Next RowNdx
End Sub

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
	Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:57:01 -0700, Bruce Walker <Bruce
Walker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I neeed a macro that will delte a row based on a duplicate value in column A;
> Row        col A                          col B              col C
>            Claim Number	DCC	Warranty Code
>     1      0132482B	                DTYC	         03D
>     2      0137448A		                             1
>     3      0141614A		                         01D
>     4      0141614A
>     5      0141614A
>     6      0143504B		                              1
>     7      0154120A	                 DW77	           01D
>     8      0154120A
>     9      0159953A	                 DWL0	             03D
>In this example I want to delete rows 4,5, and 8 How might this be
>accomlpished? Thanks.
>Bruce
0
Chip
3/17/2010 8:13:18 PM
Sub DelDupRow()                'if duplicates exists, deletes duplicate rows
Dim lr As Long, sh As Worksheet
Set sh = ActiveSheet
lr = sh.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row .
For i = lr To 2 Step -1
     With sh
         If Cells(i, 1).Value = Cells(i-1, 1).Value Then
              Rows(i).Delete
         End If
    End With
Next
End Sub

"Bruce Walker" <Bruce Walker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I neeed a macro that will delte a row based on a duplicate value in column
> A;
> Row        col A                          col B              col C
>            Claim Number DCC Warranty Code
>     1      0132482B                 DTYC          03D
>     2      0137448A                              1
>     3      0141614A                          01D
>     4      0141614A
>     5      0141614A
>     6      0143504B                               1
>     7      0154120A                  DW77            01D
>     8      0154120A
>     9      0159953A                  DWL0              03D
> In this example I want to delete rows 4,5, and 8 How might this be
> accomlpished? Thanks.
> Bruce

0
JLGWhiz
3/17/2010 8:16:14 PM
Hi,

Ensure your data sheet is the active sheet and try this

Sub delete_Me2()
Dim CopyRange As Range
Dim X as Long, LastRow as long
LastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For x = 1 To LastRow
    If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range(Cells(x, 1), _
    Cells(x + 1, LastRow)), Cells(x, 1)) > 1 Then
        If CopyRange Is Nothing Then
            Set CopyRange = Rows(x).EntireRow
        Else
            Set CopyRange = Union(CopyRange, Rows(x).EntireRow)
        End If
    End If
Next
If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
CopyRange.Delete
End If
End Sub
--
Mike

question.

"Bruce Walker" wrote:

>  I neeed a macro that will delte a row based on a duplicate value in column A;
>  Row        col A                          col B              col C
>             Claim Number	DCC	Warranty Code
>      1      0132482B	                DTYC	         03D
>      2      0137448A		                             1
>      3      0141614A		                         01D
>      4      0141614A
>      5      0141614A
>      6      0143504B		                              1
>      7      0154120A	                 DW77	           01D
>      8      0154120A
>      9      0159953A	                 DWL0	             03D
> In this example I want to delete rows 4,5, and 8 How might this be
> accomlpished? Thanks.
> Bruce
Ignore this, I missed keep the upper row bit
--
Mike

question.

"Mike H" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ensure your data sheet is the active sheet and try this
>
> Sub delete_Me2()
> Dim CopyRange As Range
> Dim X as Long, LastRow as long
> LastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
> For x = 1 To LastRow
>     If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range(Cells(x, 1), _
>     Cells(x + 1, LastRow)), Cells(x, 1)) > 1 Then
>         If CopyRange Is Nothing Then
>             Set CopyRange = Rows(x).EntireRow
>         Else
>             Set CopyRange = Union(CopyRange, Rows(x).EntireRow)
>         End If
>     End If
> Next
> If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
> CopyRange.Delete
> End If
> End Sub
> --
> Mike

> question.
>

> "Bruce Walker" wrote:
>
> >  I neeed a macro that will delte a row based on a duplicate value in column A;
> >  Row        col A                          col B              col C
> >             Claim Number	DCC	Warranty Code
> >      1      0132482B	                DTYC	         03D
> >      2      0137448A		                             1
> >      3      0141614A		                         01D
> >      4      0141614A
> >      5      0141614A
> >      6      0143504B		                              1
> >      7      0154120A	                 DW77	           01D
> >      8      0154120A
> >      9      0159953A	                 DWL0	             03D
> > In this example I want to delete rows 4,5, and 8 How might this be
> > accomlpished? Thanks.
> > Bruce
That's got it

Sub delete_Me2()
Dim CopyRange As Range
LastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For x = LastRow To 2 Step -1
Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(x - 1, 1)).Select
    If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range(Cells(1, 1), _
    Cells(x - 1, 1)), Cells(x, 1)) > 0 Then
        Rows(x).Delete
    End If
Next
If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
CopyRange.Select
End If
End Sub
--
Mike

question.

"Mike H" wrote:

> Ignore this, I missed keep the upper row bit
> --
> Mike

> question.
>

> "Mike H" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Ensure your data sheet is the active sheet and try this
> >
> > Sub delete_Me2()
> > Dim CopyRange As Range
> > Dim X as Long, LastRow as long
> > LastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
> > For x = 1 To LastRow
> >     If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range(Cells(x, 1), _
> >     Cells(x + 1, LastRow)), Cells(x, 1)) > 1 Then
> >         If CopyRange Is Nothing Then
> >             Set CopyRange = Rows(x).EntireRow
> >         Else
> >             Set CopyRange = Union(CopyRange, Rows(x).EntireRow)
> >         End If
> >     End If
> > Next
> > If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
> > CopyRange.Delete
> > End If
> > End Sub
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that
> > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the
> > question.
> >

> > "Bruce Walker" wrote:
> >
> > >  I neeed a macro that will delte a row based on a duplicate value in column A;
> > >  Row        col A                          col B              col C
> > >             Claim Number	DCC	Warranty Code
> > >      1      0132482B	                DTYC	         03D
> > >      2      0137448A		                             1
> > >      3      0141614A		                         01D
> > >      4      0141614A
> > >      5      0141614A
> > >      6      0143504B		                              1
> > >      7      0154120A	                 DW77	           01D
> > >      8      0154120A
> > >      9      0159953A	                 DWL0	             03D
> > > In this example I want to delete rows 4,5, and 8 How might this be
> > > accomlpished? Thanks.
> > > Bruce
Mike,
Thank you very much (and to all that replied)! It does exactly what I needed
it to do. I have a similar but somewhat more complicated spreadsheet I need a
macro for the same thing, but I am not sure how to explain it without you
being able to see it. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

"Mike H" wrote:

> That's got it
>
> Sub delete_Me2()
> Dim CopyRange As Range
> LastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
> For x = LastRow To 2 Step -1
> Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(x - 1, 1)).Select
>     If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range(Cells(1, 1), _
>     Cells(x - 1, 1)), Cells(x, 1)) > 0 Then
>         Rows(x).Delete
>     End If
> Next
> If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
> CopyRange.Select
> End If
> End Sub
> --
> Mike

> question.
>

> "Mike H" wrote:
>
> > Ignore this, I missed keep the upper row bit
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that
> > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the
> > question.
> >

> > "Mike H" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Ensure your data sheet is the active sheet and try this
> > >
> > > Sub delete_Me2()
> > > Dim CopyRange As Range
> > > Dim X as Long, LastRow as long
> > > LastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
> > > For x = 1 To LastRow
> > >     If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range(Cells(x, 1), _
> > >     Cells(x + 1, LastRow)), Cells(x, 1)) > 1 Then
> > >         If CopyRange Is Nothing Then
> > >             Set CopyRange = Rows(x).EntireRow
> > >         Else
> > >             Set CopyRange = Union(CopyRange, Rows(x).EntireRow)
> > >         End If
> > >     End If
> > > Next
> > > If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
> > > CopyRange.Delete
> > > End If
> > > End Sub
> > > --
> > > Mike
> > >
> > > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that
> > > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the
> > > question.

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

Pivot Table row comparison
I'm trying to compare an old customer schedule with their new schedule and highlight the changes with colour or by hiding a row. My pivot table looks like this Prod Sched wk1 wk2 wk3 A old 3 2 3 A new 3 4 3 B old 2 2 2 B new 2 2 2 So in the above example I'd like to colour the cells for wk2- Product A in yellow, and hide the product B rows as there has been no change in demand. Can someone give me some advice about how to do this Thanks for your help Ross How about an alternative??? Your raw data looks kind of like this: Prod Sched wk# qty...

Cannot delete subreport

Rule for Deleted Items

I need to show the last number in a rows in the total pending row
I have a column where I list pending cases each month and I need to show the last number in the total pending cell at the bottom of the row. I can use an offset fomula which works if the pending cases begin in row 1. However, I am not able to get it to work if the pending cases begin in rows 4 or 5 as an example. Any suggestion? Rows don't have a bottom.............guess you meant Column. Last number in column A =LOOKUP(99^99,A:A) Last anything in column A =LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<>""),A1:A65535) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:30:08 -0800, Jen S ...

number of rows #2
I used autoformat so that my rows would alternate colors. But, it added a bunch of empty rows so that the sheet is maxed out and my file is huge. I don't need all those empty rows and I can't find a way to delete them. Any suggestions for how to get rid of the rows, or limit the number of rows on a worksheet? I know I could copy all the data to a new worksheet, but I'd like a better solution. Try this: click on the number of the first empty row, so the whole row is selected. Using the vertical scrollbar, go to the last row on the sheet. Hold down the shift key while you cli...

Keeps finding music on external hard drive.
I moved my Christmas music from C:\ to F:\ It kept finding the Christmas music. I discounected it and saw the songs were still there. I tried to play one and said song not found remove all songs from this drive and said yes and it scanned. I plugged the drive back in when I needed some files and the Chritmas music is back. How do I get it out of WMP? Win 7 x64. Thank you, Eric Vogel Right-click Music in the tree on the left and select Manage Music Library. Is the drive/folder containing the music in the list? The first step would be to remove it there. Then, if there ...

Delete macros

Locate a specific row or column
Hi all, Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to dray the scroll bar? Clara thank you so much for your help In VBA code, you can use: Range("D100").Activate ' Or Range("D1:D100").Select ' Depending on if you want only one cell highlighted or a range of cells. -- Best wishes, Jim "clara" wrote: > Hi all, > > Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to > dray the scroll bar? > > Clara > > thank you so much for your help Hi Clara Have you tried goto in the Ed...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart

Delete blank Last page

Having trouble with extra rows at the bottom of the doc
How do I delete the extra rows at the bottom of a doc. I have inherited a document that has 60 rows of data and 3682 rows of empty cells that have the boarder set. When I select and delete them, new ones reappear. I have turned the cell boards off and it still creates empty cells with the boarder. Is there any way to delete these rows? -ken Ken, Are you selecting and then deleting and then saving? HTH, Andy Ken Excel has a habit of retaining "used" cells way beyond where you are currently working. On a worksheet hit CRTL + END to see where you wind up. If far below and...

Deleting an email

Error
Hi Running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server. We get these error msgs regularly and want to know how to find what is causing it. Also KB article 268831 discusses this but only for Exchange 2000. Is it the same solution for Exchange 2003.?? The event msgs are Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Event Category: General Event ID: 1025 Date: 04/03/04 Time: 4:35:31 PM User: N/A Computer: APOLLO Description: An error occurred on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (APOLLO)". Function name or description of problem: EcGenerateReadReport: Function n...

office 97 box id number
Having problem with Office 97 pro...need to reinstall. Program asks for 1d on crystal box. Been 4 years since purchased, have no box. PC shows registration number. More numbers than asked for. How do I contact Microsoft to obtain number? Been thru site and only paid site accessible. Supposed to have 4 free inquiries. ...

Duplicate messages
Hi, I've followed a few of the posts relating to duplicate messages being downloaded in Outlook XP. I have a similar problem, but am not sure it is the same: I have 4 different email accounts with on 4 different POP3 servers. These accounts are also web accessible (so I can check them at work etc). I use a cable broadband connection and all 4 accounts use my ISPs outgoing mail server to send. So that messages are accessible however I access the accounts, Outlook is set not to delete them from the server. I am receiving multiple copies of some, but crucially not all, of my messages. ...

#Deleted

Can I delete this from ADSI?
Hi all, I am upgrating Exchange 2K to Exchange 2K3 and removed the Mobile information Server (which we never used it). But, I can see the CN=Microsoft-Mobile-Information-Server under configuration -->Services from ADSIedit. Can I safely delete this? or If I do not delete this, wii it have any issue with exchange 2003 mobile? Thanks! Exchange Server 2003 mobility features do not rely on that. Saving a LDIF dump may be a good idea before you delete - this provides ability to recreate the object if required. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.e...