Copying Data Down the Column But Only Based on What's in Column A

Hello:

I have four columns in an Excel spreadsheet.  Column A ("Item Number") is a
list of inventory items.  Column B ("Location Code") is to contain the phrase
"CH" in each cell of column B.  Column C ("Order Point Qty") contains
quantities in each cell of column C.  Column D ("Number of Days") contains
the number "10" in each cell of column D.

At the end of this posting is VBA code for a macro in Excel's Visual Basic
Editor that I am using to essentially create this spreadsheet.  I am having
trouble with the following lines of code:

Range("B2:B" & Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).FormulaR1C1 = "CH"
    Range("C262:C" & Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).FormulaR1C1
= "0"
    Range("D2:D" & Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).FormulaR1C1 =
"10"

You see, what I'm trying to accomplish is the following:

(1)  Place "CH" in each cell of column B but only for as many cells as what
is filled in column A (i.e. only for as many cells as there are inventory
items in column A) and to do so only from B2 onward,
(2)  Place the number "0" in cell C262 and in each succeeding cell of column
C afterward but again only for as many cells as what is filled in column A
(i.e. only for as many cells as there are inventory items in column A), and
(3)  Place the number "10" in each cell of column D but only for as many
cells as what is filled in column A (i.e. only for as many cells as there are
inventory items in column A) and to do so only from D2 onward.

I thought that the three lines of code that I just mentioned woudld
accomplish this, but they did not.

Also. at the end of the code that i have attached I placed code to delete
Sheet1 of the workbook, but the macro did not do so.  Why is that and how can
I fix it?

Finally, in other columns of the spreadsheet, I have done such things as
create formulas and place numeric cell formats.  Similar to what I am trying
to do for the three columns that I mentioned a little while ago, what formula
do I use to say "hey, only do this for as many inventory items as what are in
column A?

Code follows:
ActiveWindow.LargeScroll ToRight:=1
    ActiveWindow.SmallScroll ToRight:=-5
    Range("L2:L" & Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row).FormulaR1C1 =
"=IF(RC[-2]<RC[-5], RC[-2]/RC[-5], 0)"
    Columns("L:L").NumberFormat = "0%"
    Range("L2:L" & Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row).Value =
Range("L2:L" & Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row).Value
    Range("L1").Value = "% Below Min"
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Columns("L:L").EntireColumn.AutoFit
    ActiveWindow.LargeScroll ToRight:=-1
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.Subtotal GroupBy:=1, Function:=xlAverage, TotalList:=Array(4,
5, _
    6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12), Replace:=True, PageBreaks:=False,
SummaryBelowData:= _
    True
    ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=2
    Cells.Select
    Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Cells.Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Selection.Columns.AutoFit
    Range("A1").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Range("A1:L632").Sort Key1:=Range("D2"), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:= _
        xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False,
Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
        DataOption1:=xlSortNormal
    Columns("H:H").Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight
    Range("H2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-1]*2"
    Range("H2").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Columns("H:H").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.NumberFormat = "0"
    Range("H1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Order Point Qty"
    Columns("B:G").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("C:G").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("B:B").Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight
    Range("B2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "'=LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-8)"
    Range("B2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=LEFT(RC[-1],LEN(RC[-1])-8)"
    Range("B2").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Columns("B:B").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False
    Range("A1").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Cut
    Range("B1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Columns("A:A").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Range("B1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Location Code"
    Range("D1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Number of Days"
    Range("D1").Select
    Columns("D:D").ColumnWidth = 15
    Range("B2:B" & Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).FormulaR1C1 =
"CH"
    Range("C262:C" & Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).FormulaR1C1
= "0"
    Range("D2:D" & Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).FormulaR1C1 =
"10"
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select
    ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.Delete
    Range("A1").Select
End Sub

I re-wrote a lot of your recorded macro code.  the are things that
didn't make a lot of sense.  It looks like you add column H then end up
delting this column.

To delte sheet 1 simply do this

Sheets("Sheet1").Delete

Isn't this much simplier to understand.

LastRow = Range("A" & Rows.count).End(xlup).row
Range("B2:B" & LastRow) = "CH"
Range("C262:C" & LastRow) = "0"
Range("D2:D" & LastRow) = "10"

With Sheets("sheet1")
LastRow = .Range("J", Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
.Range("L2:L" & LastRow).FormulaR1C1 = _
"=IF(RC[-2]<RC[-5], RC[-2]/RC[-5], 0)"

.Columns("L:L").NumberFormat = "0%"
'I commented out this line because it copies the same data back to
the same cell
'.Range("L2:L" & LastRow).Value = _
'   .Range("L2:L" &  Lastrow).Value

.Range("L1").Value = "% Below Min"

.Columns("L:L").EntireColumn.AutoFit
.Range("A1").Subtotal _
GroupBy:=1, _
Function:=xlAverage, _
TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12), _
Replace:=True, _
PageBreaks:=False, _
SummaryBelowData:=True

.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=2

Set visibleCells = Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
visibleCells.Copy _
Destination:=Sheets("Sheet2").Cells
End With

With Sheets("sheet2")

.Cells.Columns.AutoFit
LastRow = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

.Range("A1:L" & LastRow).Sort _
Key1:=.Range("D2"), _
Order1:=xlDescending, _
Header:=xlGuess, _
OrderCustom:=1, _
MatchCase:=False, _
Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
DataOption1:=xlSortNormal

.Columns("H:H").Insert
.Range("H2") = "=RC[-1]*2"
.Range("H2").Copy _
Destination:=.Range("H2:H" & LastRow)

.Range("H2:H" & LastRow).Copy
.Range("H2").PasteSpecial _
Paste:=xlPasteValues
.Columns("H:H").NumberFormat = "0"

.Range("H1") = "Order Point Qty"

.Columns("B:G").Delete

'What are you doing! this will delte column H htat was added above
.Columns("C:G").Delete

.Columns("B:C").Insert

'this formula is is beijng over-written by the next line
'.Range("B2").FormulaR1C1 = "'=LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-8)"
.Range("B2").FormulaR1C1 = "=LEFT(RC[-1],LEN(RC[-1])-8)"

.Range("B2").Copy _
Destination:=.Range("H2:H" & LastRow)

.Range("B2:B" & LastRow).Copy
.Range("B2").PasteSpecial _
Paste:=xlPasteValues

.Range("A1").Cut
.Range("B1").Paste

.Columns("A:A").Delete

.Range("B1").FormulaR1C1 = "Location Code"
.Range("D1").FormulaR1C1 = "Number of Days"

.Columns("D:D").ColumnWidth = 15
.Range("B2:B" & LastRow) = "CH"

.Range("C262:C" & LastRow) = "0"
.Range("D2:D" & LastRow) = "10"
End With

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
joel
12/23/2009 10:51:00 PM
This didn't work.  All it did was put "CH" and "10" in the first two rows and
nothing in the other cells.  Also, "0" was placed in rows 2 - 262.  That's
the exact opposite of what I need.

FYI--There's no need to worry about what is happening "earlier" in the code
(i.e. deleting a column here, a column there).  That's not my concern.  I
simply want to know why I cannot place data in only as many rows as what is
in column A and how to do so.

childofthe1980s

"joel" wrote:

> I re-wrote a lot of your recorded macro code.  the are things that
> didn't make a lot of sense.  It looks like you add column H then end up
> delting this column.
>
> To delte sheet 1 simply do this
>
> Sheets("Sheet1").Delete
>

> Isn't this much simplier to understand.
>
> LastRow = Range("A" & Rows.count).End(xlup).row
> Range("B2:B" & LastRow) = "CH"
> Range("C262:C" & LastRow) = "0"
> Range("D2:D" & LastRow) = "10"
>

> With Sheets("sheet1")
> LastRow = .Range("J", Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
> .Range("L2:L" & LastRow).FormulaR1C1 = _
> "=IF(RC[-2]<RC[-5], RC[-2]/RC[-5], 0)"
>
> .Columns("L:L").NumberFormat = "0%"
> 'I commented out this line because it copies the same data back to
> the same cell
> '.Range("L2:L" & LastRow).Value = _
> '   .Range("L2:L" &  Lastrow).Value
>
> .Range("L1").Value = "% Below Min"
>
> .Columns("L:L").EntireColumn.AutoFit
> .Range("A1").Subtotal _
> GroupBy:=1, _
> Function:=xlAverage, _
> TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12), _
> Replace:=True, _
> PageBreaks:=False, _
> SummaryBelowData:=True
>
> .Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=2
>
> Set visibleCells = Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
> visibleCells.Copy _
> Destination:=Sheets("Sheet2").Cells
> End With
>
> With Sheets("sheet2")
>
> .Cells.Columns.AutoFit
> LastRow = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
>
> .Range("A1:L" & LastRow).Sort _
> Key1:=.Range("D2"), _
> Order1:=xlDescending, _
> Header:=xlGuess, _
> OrderCustom:=1, _
> MatchCase:=False, _
> Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
> DataOption1:=xlSortNormal
>
> .Columns("H:H").Insert
> .Range("H2") = "=RC[-1]*2"
> .Range("H2").Copy _
> Destination:=.Range("H2:H" & LastRow)
>
> .Range("H2:H" & LastRow).Copy
> .Range("H2").PasteSpecial _
> Paste:=xlPasteValues
> .Columns("H:H").NumberFormat = "0"
>
> .Range("H1") = "Order Point Qty"
>
> .Columns("B:G").Delete
>
> 'What are you doing! this will delte column H htat was added above
> .Columns("C:G").Delete
>
> .Columns("B:C").Insert
>
> 'this formula is is beijng over-written by the next line
> '.Range("B2").FormulaR1C1 = "'=LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-8)"
> .Range("B2").FormulaR1C1 = "=LEFT(RC[-1],LEN(RC[-1])-8)"
>

> .Range("B2").Copy _
> Destination:=.Range("H2:H" & LastRow)
>
> .Range("B2:B" & LastRow).Copy
> .Range("B2").PasteSpecial _
> Paste:=xlPasteValues
>
> .Range("A1").Cut
> .Range("B1").Paste
>
> .Columns("A:A").Delete
>
> .Range("B1").FormulaR1C1 = "Location Code"
> .Range("D1").FormulaR1C1 = "Number of Days"

> [...]
I found a couple of errors.  these are the lines that I made changes to
to do what you want

LastRowB = .Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Newrow = LastrowB + 1
.Range("B" & Newrow & ":B" & LastRow) = "CH"

You need to have two variables.  One to indicate the end of Colun A and
One for the End of colunm B.

If you always want to start at row 3 then use this instead

.Range("B3:B" & LastRow) = "CH"

[...]

.Range("B2").Copy
.Range("B2").PasteSpecial _
Paste:=xlPasteValues

.Range("A1").Cut
.Range("B1").Paste

.Columns("A:A").Delete

.Range("B1").FormulaR1C1 = "Location Code"
.Range("D1").FormulaR1C1 = "Number of Days"

.Columns("D:D").ColumnWidth = 15

LastRowB = .Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Newrow = LastrowB + 1
.Range("B" & Newrow & ":B" & LastRow) = "CH"

.Range("C2:C" & LastRow) = "0"
.Range("D2:D" & LastRow) = "10"
End With

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=164879

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
joel

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

collect data from mail merge
If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I collect the feedbacks from returned word file, and consolidate them in excel ? Can you give a little more information about what you are trying to do. Excel is a pretty powerful tool; almost certainly you can do what you want. Ryan--- -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "data collection" wrote: > If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I > collect the feedbacks from returned wo...

Data labels #9
My data labels in my bar chart don't look the same after printing as they do on the screen. I try to manually move them but they still don't look the same after printing. Any thoughts? Are they embedded charts or chart sheets? If you select an embedded chart and print it, it will print as a chart sheet, and there's likely to be a fair amount of distortion. When printing and embedded chart, print the worksheet it's on. When printing a chart sheet, uncheck the setting in Tools menu > Options > Charts for Chart Sizes to Window Frame. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Micr...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Cant se some columns! Why?
I have a spreadsheet that displays COL A and them col BL-BM-BN etc How do I get to see the cols B to BK I am working with EXCEL 2007 Thanks Either columns B through BK are hidden (most likely), or the Window is frozen and you've scrolled way over to the right, bringing column BL next to A. Assuming they're just hidden, Click on the 2 that identifies row 2 so that the entire row is selected, then On the [HOME] tab, in the CELLS group, pull down the "Format" list and choose Hide and Unhide and click the UNHIDE COLUMNS option. If its a Frozen window thin...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

Columns won't Hide!
I'm trying to hide columns in a ss and I get the message, "Cannot Shift Objects off Sheet.". I'm able to hide some columns but Excel seems to reach a limit. Help! You may have something in columns that you don't know about. "Tom" <thomas.hamilton@med.va.gov> wrote in message news:051e01c38d97$7b458e80$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying to hide columns in a ss and I get the > message, "Cannot Shift Objects off Sheet.". I'm able to > hide some columns but Excel seems to reach a limit. > > Help! >-----Original Mess...

Copy picture ossice wizard

Log data in a shared workbook
Hi all Is it possible to have a spreadsheet which logs data from anothe without over writing each other's data, even though several colleague are inputting and saving in this shared sheet at different times. Eg. Sheet 1 has various data Sheet 2 - A1,2,3, etc = first save Sheet 3 - B1,2,3, etc = second save Etc. ...for the day Cheers Joe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Joey Would you consider writing to a CSV file? You could use VBA's text file functions to write directly to the file, but the file would still open in Excel. One advantage would be that...

subtotal copy and paste

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
I am having the exact issue related to the KB article mentioned in the subject. I try to follow support links, but when I put my product key for my Exchange server, it tells me that it is not supported for the language I selected. I go back to the first page and the language is United Stated. This is a licensed copy of Exchange 5.5 and I need this patch mention in the article to resolve my issue. How can I obtain this patch when I keep getting messages that I have the wrong language selected? PLEASE HELP ASAP! Hi Ralph, You must call Microsoft to get the fix, just mention the artic...

3D Column Chart #2
How do I create a 3D column chart and have three axis? ...

column headings in numbers vs letters
For some reason all my excel files now display columns as numbers rather than letters. How can I change back to letters? Why are all my old files also now reading in numbered columns? This is a setting of Excel, not of your files. Tools>Options>General, uncheck R1C1 Reference style -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "garyflood" <garyflood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6870D172-C11D-4FF9-A7D8-48BE89149DF8@microsoft.com... > For some reason all my excel files now display columns as numbers rather > than > letters. How...

line column Pivot Charts

Copying graphs

Copying Views

Comparing two columns of data and Highlighting the Differences
I have values (mix of text and numbers)in column A and B. Each cell value in column B is also in column A. I want to highlight (Change Fill color to Red) for example) all those cells in column A that are also present in the column B. Any help writting a Macro will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Harapa No macro needed. Select Column A's Data. Use Format/Conditional Formatting. Change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is" Assuming A1 is the active cell, enter this formula: =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$500,0))) click Format, click Patterns tab, select Red fill patte...

why are my column headers numbers instead of letters?
It seems like overnight my spreadsheets changed from having letters as column headers to having numbers. I'm sure it's something I've done wrong...can anyone help me? Hi, Go to excel options and uncheck R1C1 reference style in excel 2007 is under formulas "tbecks" wrote: > It seems like overnight my spreadsheets changed from having letters as column > headers to having numbers. I'm sure it's something I've done wrong...can > anyone help me? Tools -> Options -> General Tab -> Uncheck R1C1 for XL2003 and earlier. -- HT...

Import data from Parameter Query
I am trying to import data into Excel from a parameter query in Access. I keep getting a message "Too few parameters". I have tried supplying the parameter information via the filter in the import wizard but this did not work. I want to avoid removing the parameter in Access. Is there anyway around this? ...