converting numbers to date format

Hello,
I have 3 columns in a worksheet that contain a number that represents the
date and the other column has a number that represents the month and the
last is the year as a single digit. (A2=14, B2=12, C2=9) The 3 columns are
formated number with 0 decimal. I have a 4th column that is formated date.
(3/14/01). In this 4th column i have  =B2 & "/" & A2 & "/" & C2. The result
is 14/12/9 and does not seem to be a date format. I suspect it is a string.
What do I have to do to convert this to date?

Cheers!

0
GC

Make sure the cell with the formula is set to a Date Format and not
general.  It is is set to General you will get a number instead of a
date.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

joel
12/14/2009 12:35:06 PM
On dec. 14, 13:22, "GC" <gc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have 3 columns in a worksheet that contain a number that represents the
> date and the other column has a number that represents the month and the
> last is the year as a single digit. (A2=3D14, B2=3D12, C2=3D9) The 3 colu=
mns are
> formated number with 0 decimal. I have a 4th column that is formated date=
..
> (3/14/01). In this 4th column i have =A0=3DB2 & "/" & A2 & "/" & C2. The =
result
> is 14/12/9 and does not seem to be a date format. I suspect it is a strin=
g.
> What do I have to do to convert this to date?
>
> Cheers!

Try
=3DDATEVALUE(B2 & "/" & A2 & "/" & C2)
Regards,
Stefi
0
Stefi
12/14/2009 12:39:04 PM
Use  =DATEVALUE(B2 & "/"  & A2 & "/" & C2)

"GC" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have 3 columns in a worksheet that contain a number that represents the
> date and the other column has a number that represents the month and the
> last is the year as a single digit. (A2=14, B2=12, C2=9) The 3 columns are
> formated number with 0 decimal. I have a 4th column that is formated date.
> (3/14/01). In this 4th column i have  =B2 & "/" & A2 & "/" & C2. The result
> is 14/12/9 and does not seem to be a date format. I suspect it is a string.
> What do I have to do to convert this to date?
>
> Cheers!
>

> .

Thanks Stefi, that worked. Much appreciated.
Gerry

"Stefi" <csoszpapa@gmail.com> wrote in message
On dec. 14, 13:22, "GC" <gc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have 3 columns in a worksheet that contain a number that represents the
> date and the other column has a number that represents the month and the
> last is the year as a single digit. (A2=14, B2=12, C2=9) The 3 columns are
> formated number with 0 decimal. I have a 4th column that is formated date.
> (3/14/01). In this 4th column i have =B2 & "/" & A2 & "/" & C2. The result
> is 14/12/9 and does not seem to be a date format. I suspect it is a
> string.
> What do I have to do to convert this to date?
>
> Cheers!

Try
=DATEVALUE(B2 & "/" & A2 & "/" & C2)
Regards,
Stefi

0
GC
12/14/2009 1:41:42 PM
On dec. 14, 14:41, "GC" <gc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Stefi, that worked. Much appreciated.
> Gerry
>
> "Stefi" <csoszp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On dec. 14, 13:22, "GC" <gc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I have 3 columns in a worksheet that contain a number that represents the
> > date and the other column has a number that represents the month and the
> > last is the year as a single digit. (A2=14, B2=12, C2=9) The 3 columns are
> > formated number with 0 decimal. I have a 4th column that is formated date.
> > (3/14/01). In this 4th column i have =B2 & "/" & A2 & "/" & C2. The result
> > is 14/12/9 and does not seem to be a date format. I suspect it is a
> > string.
> > What do I have to do to convert this to date?
>
> > Cheers!
>
> Try
> =DATEVALUE(B2 & "/" & A2 & "/" & C2)
> Regards,
> Stefi

You are welcome! Thanks for the feedback!
Stefi
0
Stefi

Convert text to time value

Week Number
Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? MTIA Elwyn I've never used this function but I think this would work, perhaps someone else would comment, =WEEKNUM(E1-90) Regards, Alan. "elwyn" <elwyn.meredith@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:IY2dnTDiIIjC30zUnZ2dnUVZ8h-dnZ2d@bt.com... > Can I use the weeknum function to start on April 1st (ie 1st april = week > 1) and not the default Jan 1 ? > > MTIA > > Elwyn ...

how to convert date

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

CHm file format
Hello, I have seen your's reference on code project. I am new to CHM format and i need to create a CHM viewer. I have some queries regarding the same a) what is binary TOC and binary index ( I have been able to parse the HHc and HHk fie). How i should parse the same b) What are merged files. How i can read them c) How how CHI, CHw and CHQ files can be created. How reading of these files will be different form the reading CHM file. Please help me out by answering my queries. Thanks, Ritu ...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Cell Formats (like StyleSheets)

Built in excel 2007 formats via VBA
Does anyone know how to format a line using excel 2007 built in presets via vba, as the macro won't capture them? Thanks and regards, Mark To figure this out for yourself, see Case Study – Embedded and Linked Objects http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vba/vba-embedded%20or%20linked%20objects.htm -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select from the menu "mark Stephens" wrote: > Does anyone know how to format a line using excel 20...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Page Numbers in Publisher 2000
I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page umbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. Instead my page #10 is labeled page #1. Can anyone help and let me know if this is possible with this software? Thanks. -- Kay -- Kay Correction "Kay" wrote: > I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page numbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. > Instead my page #10 is labeled page #10. Can anyone help and let me know if > this is possibl...

Dates not correct
How do I get my DateDif output to reflect the correct 30 days in a month. Im getting 49 days, it should be pulled to the months and 19 days in days. 2 years, 11 months, 49 days See this for examples: http://cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm Biff <belczyk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177357276.085439.98020@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > How do I get my DateDif output to reflect the correct 30 days in a > month. Im getting 49 days, it should be pulled to the months and 19 > days in days. > > > 2 years, 11 months, 49 days > ...

Outbox displays Received Date
Need some help on this one. I'm using Outlook 2000 on a Windows XP machine and for some odd reason the Outbox now displays the "Received" date and the Inbox displays the "Sent" date. How do i correct this. It seems to be hidden in the PST file because when I login on a different machine it shows the same thing. Right click on the column headers and choose the "Field Chooser". Drag the field you want to see from the Field Chooser into the column headers area. Drag column headers you don't want to see away from the column headers. "Lee" ...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

XML Note convert to DataSet

Convert

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Number of hrs worked in a week, based on dates in a different column
Hi. I'm hoping someone will give this a try. I'd like to enter a function into each cell in column D so that the total hours worked for the previous week appears each Sunday. For instance, cell D6 would display 11, the sum of C2:C6 (note this is a short week). Cell D20 would display 22.5, the sum of C7:C20. On some days, no work at all is performed, but on other days multiple tasks are performed. The only cells in column D that should display a value are the Sunday's... all other cells should display nothing. Thanks very much for your help!! Gregg. ...

Numbers converting to decimal

max number of fields on a form (new question)
I am creating a database based on a paper form. The paper form has over 360 individual pieces of information, all of which are recorded for research purposes. My boss would like me to create a replica electronic form based on the paper form, but access only allows 255 fields on one form. Other than subforms, is there any other way to get around this? I have my data organized into related tables, but every field from each table needs to be on the form. Any suggestions? The limit of 255 is not the form. Forms have a lifetime limit of 754 controls. That means that if you delete a control the...

Importing Entourage Date
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop The board on my old MacBook has just died but I managed to clone the disc and drag all the data out and onto an external drive. All my data is there along with what seems to be the complete system however I can't import the Entourage files, database and folders into my iMac! I've tried to locate the folders and files using import then searching through the Documents / Office 2008 identities etc. but when I get to the database folders they are 'greyed' out and I can't attach th...

format of number keeps changing
I have an excel spreadsheet and in 2 of the columns i have a list of numbers, the format of the cells for each column are the same but on the second column when i type in a number and hit enter to go to the cell below it changes the digit at the end of the number to a zero, for example if i put in 12345 when i hit enter it changes to 12340, this doesnt happen on the column beside it even thought the formatting of the numbers for each cell in both columns is the same. Any ideas????? Is the number more like 1234567890123456 and it becomes 1234567890123450 ?? If so, you're ...

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money