Converting Header Rows to Add'l Detail in Rows

I am working with a spreadsheet created from our mainframe and need some
assistance in converting it to a file easily used for data mining.  The
records are numbered by 1,2,3 ; where 1=header row, 2=detailed records for
each header row, 3=sum count of the # of detailed records.  Here is a sample
of the data:

A    B       C           D                 E              F
1    Test   Texas    PlanNumber   RedLight
2    John   Addy     State             ZipCode     Expense
2    Sally   Addy     State             ZipCode     Expense
2    Jake   Addy      State            ZipCode     Expense
2    Hank  Addy      State            ZipCode     Expense
3    4
1   Test    Okl        PlanNumber   YellowLight
2    Lily     Addy     State             ZipCode    Expense
2    Deb    Addy     State             ZipCode    Expense
2    Joe    Addy      State             ZipCode    Expense
3    3

Here's the output I need:
A    B       C           D               E            F    G       H
I         J            K
1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    John   Addy   State  ZipCode
Expense
1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Sally   Addy   State ZipCode
Expense
1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Jake   Addy    State ZipCode
Expense
1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Hank  Addy    State ZipCode
Expense
3    4

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  I have 50 weekly files throughout
2009 with over 20k records each!

Give this macro a try (change the assignments in the two Const statements to
match your actual conditions)...

Sub ConsolidateDataRows()
  Dim X As Long, FirstAddressRow As Long
  Dim Rng As Range, One As Range, Three As Range
  Const StartRow As Long = 1
  Const SheetName As String = "Sheet1"
  With Worksheets(SheetName)
    Set Rng = .Range("A" & StartRow & ":A" & Rows.Count)
    Set One = Rng.Find("1", After:=.Cells(Rows.Count, "A"), _
                       LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, _
                       SearchDirection:=xlNext)
    If Not One Is Nothing Then
      FirstAddressRow = One.Row
      Set Three = Rng.Find("3", After:=One, LookIn:=xlValues, _
                           LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchDirection:=xlNext)
      Do
        With Range(One.Offset(1), Three.Offset(-1)).Resize(, 6)
          .Copy One.Offset(1, 5)
          .Resize(, .Columns.Count - 1).Value = One.Resize(, 5).Value
          One.EntireRow.Delete
        End With
        Set One = Rng.Find("1", After:=Three, LookIn:=xlValues, _
                           LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchDirection:=xlNext)
        Set Three = Rng.Find("3", After:=One, LookIn:=xlValues, _
                             LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchDirection:=xlNext)
      Loop While One.Row > FirstAddressRow
    End If
  End With
End Sub

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"krisfj40" <krisfj40@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am working with a spreadsheet created from our mainframe and need some
> assistance in converting it to a file easily used for data mining.  The
> records are numbered by 1,2,3 ; where 1=header row, 2=detailed records for
> each header row, 3=sum count of the # of detailed records.  Here is a
> sample
> of the data:
>
> A    B       C           D                 E              F
> 1    Test   Texas    PlanNumber   RedLight
> 2    John   Addy     State             ZipCode     Expense
> 2    Sally   Addy     State             ZipCode     Expense
> 2    Jake   Addy      State            ZipCode     Expense
> 2    Hank  Addy      State            ZipCode     Expense
> 3    4
> 1   Test    Okl        PlanNumber   YellowLight
> 2    Lily     Addy     State             ZipCode    Expense
> 2    Deb    Addy     State             ZipCode    Expense
> 2    Joe    Addy      State             ZipCode    Expense
> 3    3
>
> Here's the output I need:
> A    B       C           D               E            F    G       H
> I         J            K
> 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    John   Addy   State  ZipCode
> Expense
> 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Sally   Addy   State ZipCode
> Expense
> 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Jake   Addy    State ZipCode
> Expense
> 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Hank  Addy    State ZipCode
> Expense
> 3    4
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  I have 50 weekly files throughout
> 2009 with over 20k records each!

0
Rick
12/12/2009 8:32:35 PM
Sub test()
     Const cFirstRow = 1
     Dim i As Long
     Dim strItemName As String, strState As String, strPlan As String, strLight As String
     Dim rngDest As Range

     Set rngDest = Sheet2.Cells(1, 1)

     With Sheet1
         For i = cFirstRow To .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
             If .Cells(i, 1) = 1 Then
                 strItemName = .Cells(i, 2)
                 strState = .Cells(i, 3)
                 strPlan = .Cells(i, 4)
                 strLight = .Cells(i, 5)

             ElseIf .Cells(i, 1) = 2 Then
                 rngDest = 1
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 1) = strItemName
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 2) = strState
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 3) = strPlan
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 4) = strLight
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 5) = .Cells(i, 1)
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 6) = .Cells(i, 2)
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 7) = .Cells(i, 3)
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 8) = .Cells(i, 4)
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 9) = .Cells(i, 5)
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 10) = .Cells(i, 6)

                 Set rngDest = rngDest.Offset(1, 0)

             ElseIf .Cells(i, 1) = 3 Then
                 rngDest = .Cells(i, 1)
                 rngDest.Offset(0, 1) = .Cells(i, 2)

                 Set rngDest = rngDest.Offset(1, 0)

             End If
         Next
     End With
End Sub

Cheers,
Rob

On 13-Dec-2009 07:02, krisfj40 wrote:
> I am working with a spreadsheet created from our mainframe and need some
> assistance in converting it to a file easily used for data mining.  The
> records are numbered by 1,2,3 ; where 1=header row, 2=detailed records for
> each header row, 3=sum count of the # of detailed records.  Here is a sample
> of the data:
>
> A    B       C           D                 E              F
> 1    Test   Texas    PlanNumber   RedLight
> 2    John   Addy     State             ZipCode     Expense
> 2    Sally   Addy     State             ZipCode     Expense
> 2    Jake   Addy      State            ZipCode     Expense
> 2    Hank  Addy      State            ZipCode     Expense
> 3    4
> 1   Test    Okl        PlanNumber   YellowLight
> 2    Lily     Addy     State             ZipCode    Expense
> 2    Deb    Addy     State             ZipCode    Expense
> 2    Joe    Addy      State             ZipCode    Expense
> 3    3
>
> Here's the output I need:
> A    B       C           D               E            F    G       H
> I         J            K
> 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    John   Addy   State  ZipCode
> Expense
> 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Sally   Addy   State ZipCode
> Expense
> 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Jake   Addy    State ZipCode
> Expense
> 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Hank  Addy    State ZipCode
> Expense
> 3    4
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  I have 50 weekly files throughout
> 2009 with over 20k records each!
0
Rob
12/12/2009 8:54:33 PM
Rick,
Thank you!  This is "almost" working.  The reason I say almost is because my
header record 1 has data in columns A, B, C, D, G, H, and I (notice E, F are
blanks).  The data in record type 2 has data in columns A-H, J for every row
and some of them also use column I (but not all).

The macro is only grabbing the header record data in columns A, B, C, and D.

As you have probably noticed, I am not a programmer, so your assistance is
greatly appreciated!!

Kris
"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> [...]
> > 2    Deb    Addy     State             ZipCode    Expense
> > 2    Joe    Addy      State             ZipCode    Expense
> > 3    3
> >
> > Here's the output I need:
> > A    B       C           D               E            F    G       H
> > I         J            K
> > 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    John   Addy   State  ZipCode
> > Expense
> > 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Sally   Addy   State ZipCode
> > Expense
> > 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Jake   Addy    State ZipCode
> > Expense
> > 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Hank  Addy    State ZipCode
> > Expense
> > 3    4
> >
> > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  I have 50 weekly files throughout

I figured it out and it seems to be working.  Thank you!  Here is the macro I
used...

Sub ConsolidateDataRows()
  Dim X As Long, FirstAddressRow As Long
  Dim Rng As Range, One As Range, Three As Range
  Const StartRow As Long = 1
  Const SheetName As String = "Sheet1"
  With Worksheets(SheetName)
    Set Rng = .Range("A" & StartRow & ":A" & Rows.Count)
    Set One = Rng.Find("1", After:=.Cells(Rows.Count, "A"), _
                       LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, _
                       SearchDirection:=xlNext)
    If Not One Is Nothing Then
      FirstAddressRow = One.Row
      Set Twelve = Rng.Find("3", After:=One, LookIn:=xlValues, _
                           LookAt:=xlPart, SearchDirection:=xlNext)
      Do
        With Range(One.Offset(1), Twelve.Offset(-1)).Resize(, 10)
          .Copy One.Offset(1, 9)
          .Resize(, .Columns.Count - 1).Value = One.Resize(, 9).Value
          One.EntireRow.Delete
        End With
        Set One = Rng.Find("1", After:=Twelve, LookIn:=xlValues, _

"krisfj40" wrote:

> [...]
> > > 2    Deb    Addy     State             ZipCode    Expense
> > > 2    Joe    Addy      State             ZipCode    Expense
> > > 3    3
> > >
> > > Here's the output I need:
> > > A    B       C           D               E            F    G       H
> > > I         J            K
> > > 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    John   Addy   State  ZipCode
> > > Expense
> > > 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Sally   Addy   State ZipCode
> > > Expense
> > > 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Jake   Addy    State ZipCode
> > > Expense
> > > 1    Test   Texas  PlanNumber  RedLight  2    Hank  Addy    State ZipCode
> > > Expense
> > > 3    4
> > >
> > > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  I have 50 weekly files throughout

how to convert date

Convert text to time value

Inserting a cell in the header.
We are trying to get a cell in the header of a sheet. Can this be done? Example would be in our sheet in D9 is TFF. We want whatever is in D9 to go in the header. I'm not sure this makes sense. Thanks Wendy You could do this with a macro linked to the worksheet_change event. Insert the following code into the macro sheet for the sheet with the cell if interest. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) For Each Cell In Target If Cell.Address = "$D$9" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = Cell.Value End If Next Cell End Sub -- mrice Research Scientist with ...

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Details section not appearing when viewed in Form View
So I have this data entry form with controls linked to a number of tables. I built it today, and up til recently worked fine. Now, I'm having a problem where all the controls in the Details section (when in Design View) fail to appear when viewed in Form View. My Header info appears, just not the Detail section. I didn't consciously change anything that would make a section not-visible. Any tips? Thanks! Hi Markmarko This will happen in Access if there is no data to show in the form. The way to check for this is to open the query the form is based on. If the query returns n...

Custom POSButton Details
Hello All, Is there a way to make a custom POS button to do Shift+F9 (details)? It is strange, but you can't do one for the 'Transaction details' (SHIFT-F9). The closest thing you can do is the ShowItemComment command. I made a custom button for that one which puts a comment under the highlighted line item. The next best thing to do would to just put a button on the first page of your touchscreen keyboard. Let me know if I can help with any of those things. -Andy Can you assign a macro to a custom button? I can't recall. If so, you could record the...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Account Payable Detail report
Hola Family I will like to know if someone can help me, I need to know the path to run an Account Payable Detail report. This file should contain the lowest level of detail. Each record should include the General Ledger account number to which the transaction is being charged. I am using Dynamics GP 10 with SQL 2005. Thank you in advanced. -- LOS Hola Carlos, The GL Distribution Detail in Purchaing Posting Journal can be access via Reports>>Purchasing>>Posting Journals (GL GL Distribution Detail). When you create/modify a report options, you can use the ...

match rows from spreadsheets-Please help.
how do i match rows from different spreadsheets to a directory: Directory ZIP No. 80001 1 80002 2 80003 3 80004 4 80005 5 80006 6 80007 7 Sheet 1: ZIP POP 80001 134 80003 9890 80006 9489 80009 883 =>: Directory ZIP No. POP 80001 1 134 80002 2 80003 3 9890 80004 4 80005 5 80006 6 9489 80007 7 Use VLOOKUP If you tell us where each block of data resides, I will give a more detailed answer. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme r...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Calander Sharing without showing details
Is it possible to share a calander with someone else and only show them the blocked off hours without any details of the appointments? This person also wants to share his calander normally with his assistant. Running Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007. Only if he marks all of the appointments as private. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Excha...

column to row
hi I have a lot of data in one column in access. I would like to have all this data on the one column to be on one row. Tried to copy it to excel and transpose but the data is too long to transpose. Any ideas. i have over 200k rows and want to list it on one line. thanks. t wrote: >I have a lot of data in one column in access. I would like to have all this >data on the one column to be on one row. Tried to copy it to excel and >transpose but the data is too long to transpose. Any ideas. i have over 200k >rows and want to list it on one line. How do you expe...

Pivot Table Row Field Format (OLAP Source)
I have a pivot table linked to an OLAP cube. In this instance, my only row field contains numbers (the number of days taken to complete a task) and all I want to do is display a count for each total (i.e. 234 items took 1 day, 345 took 2 etc). The problem is that these numbers are listed as text, therefore 1,10,100,11 instead of 1,2,3. In view of the number of days, I'm trying to avoid manually adjusting the list. Apart from importing the source data into Excel rather than using the cube, is there any way to get around this? The problem is in your cube. Edit the dimension in your...

Specific row at the top of the screen?
I have been looking in this forum for an answer to help me position a specific row located by a macro at the top of the screen. Can someone help? Thank's ahead From the Excel Vba help file... This example moves row ten to the top of the window. Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate ActiveWindow.ScrollRow = 10 -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming) "Bobby" wrote in message I have been looking in this forum for an answer to help me position a specific row located by a macro at the top of the scre...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Change color of row (Col A thru Col Q) based on text value in Col J
I am using David McRitchie's code for changing color of entire row based on contents based on a specified cell text value: 'Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36'. This works fine; however, I only want to change color in the first 17 cells in each of the affected rows. How do I do this? Also, I am confused: do I want the stmt 'Application.EnableEvents = True' at the top of my coding in the 'Worksheet_Change' event coding (occupies the Sheet1 Module)? One way: Target.EntireRow.resize(1,17).Interior.ColorIndex = 36 JingleRock wrote: > > I...

Row Grand Totals in Pivot Tables?
I'm working in Excel 2007 and I can't seem to see my row grand totals in my pivot table. I can see the grand totals on the columns, but no rows. Any ideas? Hi adodson See if the article at http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/pivottbls/gtotal_col2007.php does what you want. Regards, Pedro J. > I'm working in Excel 2007 and I can't seem to see my row grand totals in my > pivot table. I can see the grand totals on the columns, but no rows. Any > ideas? Yeah, that is what I would expect it to do too. However, I set that option and don't receive the total. ...

XML Note convert to DataSet

hisind rows with an if statement
I would like to be able to hide a number of rows based on the response to a question.. The response to the question is a list box with either "yes" or "no" as the choices.. If the response = "no" then I would like to hide the next 3 rows, otherwise do nothing.. Is there a "hide" command of some sort that I can use as part of an IF statement or is this going to require a macro ? -- Thanks Larry Requires a macro, specifically a Worksheet_Change() event macro: Assuming your "YES/NO" choice is in column A the code belo...

Convert

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Numbers converting to decimal

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money