Converting a HEX string

Hello All

I'm using "modCOMM - Written by: David M. Hitchner" to send data out of the
serial port. I need to send HEX strings (eg 0E0E00000505000C20450164A5A5 ) to
external devices. Each part of the string is 2 HEX characters. If I send a
HEX string directly to it, I get incorrect data at the other end.

By using 2 HEX programs and a null cable, I can pass the strings correctly
to the equipment, and also monitor what Excel is sending out of the serial
port.

If I send this -> I get this on the HEX comms program

0E0E00000505000C20450164A5A5 ->

0 -> 30
1 -> 31
A -> 41
a ->61
0E -> 3045
Chr(1) & Chr(255) -> 01FF

So, I can see that there is a way to get the correct data out, but I don't
want to have to encode each and every pair of HEX digits into a "chr()".
Whats the intelligent way of getting a string?

Thanks a lot!!
Andrew

GOT IT!!!!!

Solution:
Work on the HEX string 2 digits at a time, and take the result of Chr(), not
the string containing "Chr(xx)". And its even working in the real world, not
just a HEX editor. Happy days!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For i = 1 To Len(hexstring) Step 2
Dim temp As String
temp = WorksheetFunction.Hex2Dec(Mid(hexstring, i, 2))
outputstring = outputstring & Chr(temp)
Next i
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Andrew P." wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I'm using "modCOMM - Written by: David M. Hitchner" to send data out of the
> serial port. I need to send HEX strings (eg 0E0E00000505000C20450164A5A5 ) to
> external devices. Each part of the string is 2 HEX characters. If I send a
> HEX string directly to it, I get incorrect data at the other end.
>
> By using 2 HEX programs and a null cable, I can pass the strings correctly
> to the equipment, and also monitor what Excel is sending out of the serial
> port.
>
> If I send this -> I get this on the HEX comms program
>
> 0E0E00000505000C20450164A5A5 ->
> 3045304530303030303530353030304332303435303136344135413500
>
> 0 -> 30
> 1 -> 31
> A -> 41
> a ->61
> 0E -> 3045
> Chr(1) & Chr(255) -> 01FF
>
> So, I can see that there is a way to get the correct data out, but I don't
> want to have to encode each and every pair of HEX digits into a "chr()".
> Whats the intelligent way of getting a string?
>
> Thanks a lot!!
> Andrew
Andrew P. presented the following explanation :
> GOT IT!!!!!
>
> Solution:
> Work on the HEX string 2 digits at a time, and take the result of Chr(), not
> the string containing "Chr(xx)". And its even working in the real world, not
> just a HEX editor. Happy days!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> For i = 1 To Len(hexstring) Step 2
> Dim temp As String
> temp = WorksheetFunction.Hex2Dec(Mid(hexstring, i, 2))
> outputstring = outputstring & Chr(temp)
> Next i
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "Andrew P." wrote:
>
>> Hello All
>>
>> I'm using "modCOMM - Written by: David M. Hitchner" to send data out of the
>> serial port. I need to send HEX strings (eg 0E0E00000505000C20450164A5A5 )
>> to  external devices. Each part of the string is 2 HEX characters. If I send
>> a  HEX string directly to it, I get incorrect data at the other end.
>>
>> By using 2 HEX programs and a null cable, I can pass the strings correctly
>> to the equipment, and also monitor what Excel is sending out of the serial
>> port.
>>
>> If I send this -> I get this on the HEX comms program
>>
>> 0E0E00000505000C20450164A5A5 ->
>> 3045304530303030303530353030304332303435303136344135413500
>>
>> 0 -> 30
>> 1 -> 31
>> A -> 41
>> a ->61
>> 0E -> 3045
>> Chr(1) & Chr(255) -> 01FF
>>
>> So, I can see that there is a way to get the correct data out, but I don't
>> want to have to encode each and every pair of HEX digits into a "chr()".
>> Whats the intelligent way of getting a string?
>>
>> Thanks a lot!!
>> Andrew

Curious...
I don't see how the code you posted here returns the result you say it
gave you. It appears that your Chr() function returns a different set
of values than VB's Chr() function, because using this example returns
gobbly-gook characters. I suspect you're using a custom algorythm to
convert to Chr().

Is the Hex2Dec() you refer to here part of the Analysis Toolpak addin?
Or is it custom? <FYI>The result of passing each iteration of your
For...Next loop on the original 28 character HexString to Hex2Dec()
returns the following 14 values:
  "14,14,0,0,5,5,0,12,32,69,1,100,165,165"
How does that become what you post here? For example, Chr(14) (result
of passing "0E") returns "", not 3045. Not only that, your reported
result has 2 extra characters (Len()=58, not 56).

Clearly, there's some missing info here. I suspect your "modComm"
program uses its own custom functions to process the original HexString
to get the result you claim it gives you. Not sure why you need to use
2 Hex progs to achieve the same result. Why not just get the same
function the modComm prog uses and use it with VBA by way of a lookup
function?

regards,

--
Garry

GS

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Convert Access97 to 2000

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

How to allcate an array of strings dynamically
Hi I am doing a project which is using ATL,COM and WTL(not using MFC).here I need to take an array of _bstr_t values.But I don't know the array size.it will be varying.I can not keep a specific size on this array.I don't know how to allocate an array dynamically.will anybody plz help me with sample code for how to do this.It will be a great help for me.I know this is a MFC group and I am not using MFC,I have already posted in in ATL group twice,but no answer.So I am frustrated now.Plz help me if u can.Thanks in advance Hi Rindam, I think it would be easier for you to store pointe...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Convert

Numbers converting to decimal

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money

Converting from AOL to Outlook

Customizing "Convert Campaign Response"
We have created custom Fields in the Campaign Response entity that we would like to populate on the Lead Entity when we do a conversion. However it doesn't seem like this is possible from the Data Map. Is there a way to modify what fields are carried forward during a conversion, or do I need to find a different method? Thank you in advance. Hi, As I had some time left, I tried to figure this one out. To my surprise I can't find ANY direct link between a converted campaign response and a new lead. There is only an indirect link, through the campaign entity. But that does not ...

Problem with AFX_THREAD_STATE class converting from VS6.0 to VS.NET 2003
I have inherited some code that works in VS6.0. It has code snippets like the following: _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThreadState(); pThreadState->m_nLastHit = 0; and _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThreadState(); CToolTipCtrl* pToolTip = pThreadState->m_pToolTip; It then does things with these values. In VS.NET, there is no member variable in _AFX_THREAD_STATE that corresponds to m_nLastHit or m_pToolTip. Have these been replaced by something similar in VS.NET 2003 that I can use? #if (_MFC_VER < 0x0700) _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThrea...

Convert English language document to Hindi
Is there any software available to convert an English language text document to Hindi language document by using dictionary based translation (not transliteration). For example: The sentence : My name is Joseph Should be converted to : ???? ??? ????? ?? ...

Converting Hours an minutes just into minutes #2
Is thier a formula to use to change hous and minutes, just into minutes ex: 01:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes) into 90 minutes. And how do you format the cells. Thank you Select the cell and change the format to: [m] -- Gary's Student "Six Sigma Blackbelt" wrote: > Is thier a formula to use to change hous and minutes, just into minutes ex: > 01:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes) into 90 minutes. And how do you format the > cells. > > Thank you ...

converting chart to spreadsheet?
how can i revert back to my spreadsheet from a chart? thanks You mean you have a chart but don't have the data it was created from? This article in the Microsoft knowledge base describes a macro that will extract data from a chart. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137016 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "excel chart" <excel chart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E415558-89B6-457B-A340-2A8CE2BA5521@microsoft.com... > how can i revert back to my s...

graphics converter not working
I am using Publisher 2000 to create a newsletter. It has been going well but now that I'm ready to insert pictures from files, it won't work. I get the message saying that Publisher can't convert this picture (it's either that it doesn't recognize the format or there was an error installing the graphics converter and to go to to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Highlight the Publisher program and choose "Change". When prompted, choose "Add Features". Then be sure to select to run ALL from your computer so that everything is...

Convert VC6.0 CString::Init() code to VC7.1.
How to convert the following code to VC7.1? // Need to declare a descendant of CString to allow access to the Init() member class CStackString : public CString { public: CStackString & operator=(CString const &s); CStackString & operator=(CStackString const &s); using CString::Init; // Make public }; inline CStackString & CStackString::operator=(CString const &s) { CString::operator=(s); return *this; } inline CStackString & CStackString::operator=(CStackString const &s) { CString::operator=(s); return *this; } class CStackValue...

Converting Lotus 123 to Excel
Hi there Is there a staightforward way of converting Lotus 123 worksheets to Excel 2000 without using any third Party Apps and without losing any of the Formula functionality from 123 ? "Paul Duane" <paul.duane@leaseplan.ie> wrote... >Is there a staightforward way of converting Lotus 123 >worksheets to Excel 2000 without using any third Party >Apps and without losing any of the Formula functionality >from 123 ? ..123 files? There are only 3 pieces of software that do anything with them: Lotus 123 itself (32-bit versions), Quattro Pro 10, and DataViz's Conv...