Change event does not fire

Hello!
I have a worksheet with checkboxes. Each checkbox is linked to a cell. When
checkboxes are checked/unchecked the cell changes, but the Change event for
the sheet does NOT fire! Is that how it is supposed to be??? I wanted to use
this method instead of Checkbox Click event, because I have lots of
checkboxes. Also it seem to work before, but not anymore. Am I confusing
something?

Please help! Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S: Alternativly I can have another cell with formula linked to the
checkbox cell. This way Calculation event works. But it's not best practice :)

Lena,

If I use this in excel 2003 the change event is triggered:

Option Explicit
Dim enableEvents As Boolean

Private Sub CheckBox1_Click()
If enableEvents = True Then Exit Sub
enableEvents = True
Range("A1") = 2
enableEvents = False
End Sub

You don't say exactly what a checkbox being "linked" to a cell means.
Posting your code would be best.

This is from Chip Pearson's website:

"For the Change event in particular, it should be noted that this is
triggered when a cell is changed by user action or by other VBA code, but is
not raised if the value of a cell is changed as a result of formula
calculation."

HTH

"Lena" <Lena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
> I have a worksheet with checkboxes. Each checkbox is linked to a cell.
When
> checkboxes are checked/unchecked the cell changes, but the Change event
for
> the sheet does NOT fire! Is that how it is supposed to be??? I wanted to
use
> this method instead of Checkbox Click event, because I have lots of
> checkboxes. Also it seem to work before, but not anymore. Am I confusing
> something?
>
> Please help! Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> P.S: Alternativly I can have another cell with formula linked to the
> checkbox cell. This way Calculation event works. But it's not best
practice :)

0
Project
6/7/2010 6:48:09 PM
I don't have any code for checkbox itself. I use LinkedCell which is setup in
the propeties of the checkbox and changes the value from TRUE/FALSE whenever
the checkbox is checked/unchecked. I'm trying to catch an event when this
cell changes it's value.
I just use a test code for now for Worksheet_Change event and it doesn not
work when the cell is changed by the checkbox.

It does work however when I have another cell with the formula linking to my
LinkedCell of the checkbox. Then I can use Worksheet_Calculate event. But I
don't want to create another column just for that.

I have around 40 checkboxes and I don't want to use the Checkbox Click event
for each of them.

"Project Mangler" wrote:

> Lena,
>
> If I use this in excel 2003 the change event is triggered:
>
> Option Explicit
> Dim enableEvents As Boolean
>
> Private Sub CheckBox1_Click()
> If enableEvents = True Then Exit Sub
> enableEvents = True
> Range("A1") = 2
> enableEvents = False
> End Sub
>
> You don't say exactly what a checkbox being "linked" to a cell means.
> Posting your code would be best.
>
> This is from Chip Pearson's website:
>
> "For the Change event in particular, it should be noted that this is
> triggered when a cell is changed by user action or by other VBA code, but is
> not raised if the value of a cell is changed as a result of formula
> calculation."
>
> HTH
>
> "Lena" <Lena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> > I have a worksheet with checkboxes. Each checkbox is linked to a cell.
> When
> > checkboxes are checked/unchecked the cell changes, but the Change event
> for
> > the sheet does NOT fire! Is that how it is supposed to be??? I wanted to
> use
> > this method instead of Checkbox Click event, because I have lots of
> > checkboxes. Also it seem to work before, but not anymore. Am I confusing
> > something?
> >
> > Please help! Thanks a lot in advance.
> >
> > P.S: Alternativly I can have another cell with formula linked to the
> > checkbox cell. This way Calculation event works. But it's not best
> practice :)
>

> .

I'm not quite sure what you want to do, but instead of using 40 distinct _change
events, you could use a single _change event in a class module (for every
checkbox assigned to a specific group of checkboxes).

The "grouping" is done when the workbook opens.

This goes in a General module:

Option Explicit
Dim ChkBoxes() As New Class1
Sub Auto_Open()

    Dim CBXCount As Long
    Dim OLEObj As OLEObject

    CBXCount = 0
    For Each OLEObj In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("sheet1").OLEObjects
        If TypeOf OLEObj.Object Is MSForms.CheckBox Then
            CBXCount = CBXCount + 1
            ReDim Preserve ChkBoxes(1 To CBXCount)
            Set ChkBoxes(CBXCount).CBXGroup = OLEObj.Object
        End If
    Next OLEObj

End Sub

And then when you're in the VBE, do Insert|Class Module
The name of this class module is Class1 (it's important to match what's in the
code):

Then paste this in the newly opened code window:

Option Explicit
Public WithEvents CBXGroup As MSForms.CheckBox
Private Sub CBXGroup_Change()
    With CBXGroup
        MsgBox .Name & vbLf & .Value
    End With
End Sub

You can read more info at John Walkenbach's site:
http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/file/multiple_userform_buttons_with_one_procedure

--

Dave Peterson
0

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2

colour change of dated box

changes made but how do I revert !
When I deleted messages they used to dissapear straight away. Now when I delete a message it has a strike through line but the message remains, although it dissapears after I close outlook. I should also add that I use SPAM Inspector but I think this is an Outlook problem caused by some changes. the moral here is change one thing at a time ! Any ideas from anyone. email address required remove to be removed ! Kind regards Nigel Are you using an IMAP account? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.co...

My Day does NOT display calendar events
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop My Day does not display any yearly recurring events such as birthdays, anniversaries, etc. They are clearly displayed in the Calendar but do NOT appear in My Day. I have fiddled with the Preferences command but nothing happens. My Day DOES display my To Do lists and curiously the Laker schedule which was imported. But it does not display ANY event I have keyed in. Help! (And thank you!) Cahlin@officeformac.com wrote: > My Day does not display any yearly recurring events such as > b...

Daylight saving time changes for Exchange 2003 server
Hi guys, I was wondering how other real life systems administrators are preparing for the upcoming “2007 global time zone update for Windows” (daylight time change for exchange 2003 server). I'd like to know what contingency plans are being planned out to implement this update and what practical ideas you think thus far are the best. I would greatly value your input. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx -Thanks! ...

Question about Excel (Office) auditing/changes
I have a document that will need to be posted on a website available for users to download & change/approve. The approval process will not make any changes at all to the document. However, I do need to know they've opened the document. Is there a way to get the name/machine/ip or something regarding who opens a file and when they open it? If so, I would like to do something like that, and either write it to something in the spreadsheet or as an audit trail in a database. If there's no way to do this, I am considering writing a small app that requires them to sign in (somet...

Bus. Card changes font when I change print copies / page. I save
Please use this space top fully ask your question. And we need details. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Grateful" <Grateful@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61932EEC-79BB-45DF-87A2-8E5AE4BEC538@microsoft.com... > "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote: > Please use this space top fully ask your question. And we need details. > I modified a design option in business cards. I created it as 1 copy / sheet. I saved it. When I try to print it as 10 / sheet, the font and font color didn't save. I went to styles and formatting...

Can't Send After Changing From/Reply-To
Greetings! I am using Outlook 2003 and Exchange server 2003 to try to send a message From public folder with the replies going to the same public folder. It utterly fails. I created a public folder under Exchange called ContactASA and gave myself "Send on behalf" priviledges. I then created a new message in Outlook, set the From field to ContactASA, and set the "Have replies sent to..." (reply-to) set to ContactASA. When I send the message to my gmail account I get the following error message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. S...