Automatic Prompt for Users to Save

I have an Excel 2007 workbook that is populated by an Access table.  Once the
data is transferred to Excel, Access opens Excel so we can view the data.  I
would like to have the Excel spreadsheet then prompt the users to save so
they don't forget.  I tried to just set up the Excel spreadsheet as a
template, but get an error when Excel opens from Access and then the data
doesn't transfer from Access.  Any ideas on how I can do this?  Thanks in
advance.

Hello:
I could not tell from your post if the Excel worksheet was pre-existing or
created by Access,

If it is pre-existing, you can add a module to alert the user when the file
opens, or save the file when they close it.

Add one of these modules:

Option Explicit

Public Sub Auto_Open()
MsgBox ("Don't Forget to Save Your File")
End Sub

Or

Public Sub Auto_Close()
.... Put Code to Save The File Here
End Sub

These are activated by Opening an Excel spreadsheet or closing it.
--
Rich Locus
Logicwurks, LLC

"sg" wrote:

> I have an Excel 2007 workbook that is populated by an Access table.  Once the
> data is transferred to Excel, Access opens Excel so we can view the data.  I
> would like to have the Excel spreadsheet then prompt the users to save so
> they don't forget.  I tried to just set up the Excel spreadsheet as a
> template, but get an error when Excel opens from Access and then the data
> doesn't transfer from Access.  Any ideas on how I can do this?  Thanks in
> advance.
Sorry I wasn't a little more specific about the spreadsheet.  It is a
pre-existing spreadsheet.  I appreciate your feedback, but I am really hoping
to get the Save As dialog box to open so they are more likely to save it with
a new name.  If I just give them a reminder, they may just hit Save and I
don't want for this one to be overridden.

I wanted to set it up as a template so when they save, it prompts them for a
file name, but something in the transfer of data from Access to Excel doesn't
work correctly when I try to transfer to a template file.  The data doesn't
actually get moved from Access to Excel.

"Rich Locus" wrote:

> Hello:
> I could not tell from your post if the Excel worksheet was pre-existing or
> created by Access,
>
> If it is pre-existing, you can add a module to alert the user when the file
> opens, or save the file when they close it.
>
> Add one of these modules:
>
> Option Explicit
>
> Public Sub Auto_Open()
> MsgBox ("Don't Forget to Save Your File")
> End Sub
>
> Or
>
> Public Sub Auto_Close()
> ... Put Code to Save The File Here
> End Sub
>
> These are activated by Opening an Excel spreadsheet or closing it.
> --
> Rich Locus
> Logicwurks, LLC
>

> "sg" wrote:
>
> > I have an Excel 2007 workbook that is populated by an Access table.  Once the
> > data is transferred to Excel, Access opens Excel so we can view the data.  I
> > would like to have the Excel spreadsheet then prompt the users to save so
> > they don't forget.  I tried to just set up the Excel spreadsheet as a
> > template, but get an error when Excel opens from Access and then the data
> > doesn't transfer from Access.  Any ideas on how I can do this?  Thanks in
> > advance.
Hello Again:
You should probably also update the message to say "Use Save As with a
Different File Name."
--
Rich Locus
Logicwurks, LLC

"sg" wrote:

> Sorry I wasn't a little more specific about the spreadsheet.  It is a
> pre-existing spreadsheet.  I appreciate your feedback, but I am really hoping
> to get the Save As dialog box to open so they are more likely to save it with
> a new name.  If I just give them a reminder, they may just hit Save and I
> don't want for this one to be overridden.
>
> I wanted to set it up as a template so when they save, it prompts them for a
> file name, but something in the transfer of data from Access to Excel doesn't
> work correctly when I try to transfer to a template file.  The data doesn't
> actually get moved from Access to Excel.
>
> "Rich Locus" wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> > I could not tell from your post if the Excel worksheet was pre-existing or
> > created by Access,
> >
> > If it is pre-existing, you can add a module to alert the user when the file
> > opens, or save the file when they close it.
> >
> > Add one of these modules:
> >
> > Option Explicit
> >
> > Public Sub Auto_Open()
> > MsgBox ("Don't Forget to Save Your File")
> > End Sub
> >
> > Or
> >
> > Public Sub Auto_Close()
> > ... Put Code to Save The File Here
> > End Sub
> >
> > These are activated by Opening an Excel spreadsheet or closing it.
> > --
> > Rich Locus
> > Logicwurks, LLC
> >

> > "sg" wrote:
> >
> > > I have an Excel 2007 workbook that is populated by an Access table.  Once the
> > > data is transferred to Excel, Access opens Excel so we can view the data.  I
> > > would like to have the Excel spreadsheet then prompt the users to save so
> > > they don't forget.  I tried to just set up the Excel spreadsheet as a
> > > template, but get an error when Excel opens from Access and then the data
> > > doesn't transfer from Access.  Any ideas on how I can do this?  Thanks in
> > > advance.
If you save the original as a true Template(*.xlt or *.xltx) the template
does not open, just a copy of it.

So the Template itself never gets overwritten.

The copy that opens has to be saved with a new name.

No code necessary.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:22:39 -0700, sg <sg@discussions.microsoft.com> =
wrote:

>Sorry I wasn't a little more specific about the spreadsheet.  It is a=20
>pre-existing spreadsheet.  I appreciate your feedback, but I am really =
hoping=20
>to get the Save As dialog box to open so they are more likely to save it=
 with=20
>a new name.  If I just give them a reminder, they may just hit Save and =
I=20
>don't want for this one to be overridden.
>
>I wanted to set it up as a template so when they save, it prompts them =
for a=20
>file name, but something in the transfer of data from Access to Excel =
doesn't=20
>work correctly when I try to transfer to a template file.  The data =
doesn't=20
>actually get moved from Access to Excel. =20
>
>"Rich Locus" wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>> I could not tell from your post if the Excel worksheet was =
pre-existing or=20
>> created by Access,
>>=20
>> If it is pre-existing, you can add a module to alert the user when the=
 file=20
>> opens, or save the file when they close it.
>>=20
>> Add one of these modules:
>>=20
>> Option Explicit
>>=20
>> Public Sub Auto_Open()
>> MsgBox ("Don't Forget to Save Your File")
>> End Sub
>>=20
>> Or
>>=20
>> Public Sub Auto_Close()
>> ... Put Code to Save The File Here
>> End Sub
>>=20
>> These are activated by Opening an Excel spreadsheet or closing it.
>> --=20
>> Rich Locus
>> Logicwurks, LLC
>>=20
>>=20
>> "sg" wrote:
>>=20
>> > I have an Excel 2007 workbook that is populated by an Access table. =
 Once the=20
>> > data is transferred to Excel, Access opens Excel so we can view the =
data.  I=20
>> > would like to have the Excel spreadsheet then prompt the users to =
save so=20
>> > they don't forget.  I tried to just set up the Excel spreadsheet as =
a=20
>> > template, but get an error when Excel opens from Access and then the=
 data=20
>> > doesn't transfer from Access.  Any ideas on how I can do this?  =
Thanks in=20
>> > advance.

0
Gord
6/5/2010 2:46:43 PM
Gord:
I saw your post and that would have been my suggestion, except that the
"SG", the one who asked the question said this: "I tried to just set up the
Excel spreadsheet as a template, but get an error when Excel opens from
Access and then the data doesn't transfer from Access".
So apparently there is some issue with the template approach.

--
Rich Locus
Logicwurks, LLC

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> If you save the original as a true Template(*.xlt or *.xltx) the template
> does not open, just a copy of it.
>
> So the Template itself never gets overwritten.
>
> The copy that opens has to be saved with a new name.
>
> No code necessary.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:22:39 -0700, sg <sg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Sorry I wasn't a little more specific about the spreadsheet.  It is a
> >pre-existing spreadsheet.  I appreciate your feedback, but I am really hoping
> >to get the Save As dialog box to open so they are more likely to save it with
> >a new name.  If I just give them a reminder, they may just hit Save and I
> >don't want for this one to be overridden.
> >
> >I wanted to set it up as a template so when they save, it prompts them for a
> >file name, but something in the transfer of data from Access to Excel doesn't
> >work correctly when I try to transfer to a template file.  The data doesn't
> >actually get moved from Access to Excel.
> >
> >"Rich Locus" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello:
> >> I could not tell from your post if the Excel worksheet was pre-existing or
> >> created by Access,
> >>
> >> If it is pre-existing, you can add a module to alert the user when the file
> >> opens, or save the file when they close it.
> >>
> >> Add one of these modules:
> >>
> >> Option Explicit
> >>
> >> Public Sub Auto_Open()
> >> MsgBox ("Don't Forget to Save Your File")
> >> End Sub
> >>
> >> Or
> >>
> >> Public Sub Auto_Close()
> >> ... Put Code to Save The File Here
> >> End Sub
> >>
> >> These are activated by Opening an Excel spreadsheet or closing it.
> >> --
> >> Rich Locus
> >> Logicwurks, LLC

> .

Thanks for getting back to me again.  I hate to sound like I don't know what
I'm doing, but I guess I don't in this case...

I don't see what you mean by double-clicking on "ThisWorksheet".  Can you
help me to get to the right place?  Thanks!

"Rich Locus" wrote:

> Hello:
> Ahhh... I see what you want.
>
> Here's the solution (please click "Yes" to This answered by question".
>
> Get into the VBA editor.
>
> Double click on "ThisWorksheet".  This is in the Worksheet area, not in the
> Module area.
> Then paste in this Procedure:
>
> Option Explicit
>
> Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
>
> If SaveAsUI = False Then
>
>     Cancel = True
>
>     MsgBox "You cannot save this workbook.  Use Save As"
>
> End If
>
> End Sub
>
> --
> Rich Locus
> Logicwurks, LLC
>

> "sg" wrote:
>
> > Sorry I wasn't a little more specific about the spreadsheet.  It is a
> > pre-existing spreadsheet.  I appreciate your feedback, but I am really hoping
> > to get the Save As dialog box to open so they are more likely to save it with
> > a new name.  If I just give them a reminder, they may just hit Save and I
> > don't want for this one to be overridden.
> >
> > I wanted to set it up as a template so when they save, it prompts them for a
> > file name, but something in the transfer of data from Access to Excel doesn't
> > work correctly when I try to transfer to a template file.  The data doesn't
> > actually get moved from Access to Excel.
> >
> > "Rich Locus" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello:
> > > I could not tell from your post if the Excel worksheet was pre-existing or
> > > created by Access,
> > >
> > > If it is pre-existing, you can add a module to alert the user when the file
> > > opens, or save the file when they close it.
> > >
> > > Add one of these modules:
> > >
> > > Option Explicit
> > >
> > > Public Sub Auto_Open()
> > > MsgBox ("Don't Forget to Save Your File")
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > Or
> > >
> > > Public Sub Auto_Close()
> > > ... Put Code to Save The File Here
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > These are activated by Opening an Excel spreadsheet or closing it.
> > > --
> > > Rich Locus
> > > Logicwurks, LLC

Alt + F11 to open the VBE

CTRL + r to open Project Explorer.

=46ind your workbook/project by name.

Click on the + to expand it.

Click the + on Microsoft Excel Objects to expand that.

Double-click on ThiisWorkbook to open.

Paste the code in there.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:39:44 -0700, sg <sg@discussions.microsoft.com> =
wrote:

>Thanks for getting back to me again.  I hate to sound like I don't know =
what=20
>I'm doing, but I guess I don't in this case...
>
>I don't see what you mean by double-clicking on "ThisWorksheet".  Can =
you=20
>help me to get to the right place?  Thanks!
>
>"Rich Locus" wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>> Ahhh... I see what you want.
>>=20
>> Here's the solution (please click "Yes" to This answered by question".
>>=20
>> Get into the VBA editor.
>>=20
>> Double click on "ThisWorksheet".  This is in the Worksheet area, not =
in the=20
>> Module area.
>> Then paste in this Procedure:
>>=20
>> Option Explicit
>>=20
>> Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As =
Boolean)
>>=20
>> If SaveAsUI =3D False Then
>>=20
>>     Cancel =3D True
>>=20
>>     MsgBox "You cannot save this workbook.  Use Save As"
>>=20
>> End If
>>=20
>> End Sub
>>=20
>> --=20
>> Rich Locus
>> Logicwurks, LLC
>>=20
>>=20
>> "sg" wrote:
>>=20
>> > Sorry I wasn't a little more specific about the spreadsheet.  It is =
a=20
>> > pre-existing spreadsheet.  I appreciate your feedback, but I am =
really hoping=20
>> > to get the Save As dialog box to open so they are more likely to =
save it with=20
>> > a new name.  If I just give them a reminder, they may just hit Save =
and I=20
>> > don't want for this one to be overridden.
>> >=20
>> > I wanted to set it up as a template so when they save, it prompts =
them for a=20
>> > file name, but something in the transfer of data from Access to =
Excel doesn't=20
>> > work correctly when I try to transfer to a template file.  The data =
doesn't=20
>> > actually get moved from Access to Excel. =20
>> >=20
>> > "Rich Locus" wrote:
>> >=20
Thanks in=20

0
Gord

Automatic CC

End User Recovery Report?
Is there such a thing? I see that DPM 2007 has a Recovery report that only shows what has been done from the administrative console. However, I would love to show my management how much time we are getting back from users doing their own end user recovery. This seems like a great ROI feature. Is there any way to pull that information from DPM 2007? No , there is no way to get this data. Gaurav [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA89E9...

When start Outlook, it doesn't prompt for the password for PST file.
How to get the "Password for Personal Folder Dialog Box" to appear when Outlook starts. ...

Automatic axis format

Offline users and synchronization
Hi, Does MS CRM have any offline users synchronization like what GoldMine's Gold-Synch has? We have sales reps that they don't have permanent Internet access. We want their laptop synchronize with central database every night. Thanks, Ali Yes. The CRM Sales for outlook client works in both on-line and off-line mode. WHen the rep reconnects to the network, they will be able to sync up with the central db. Rick. "A.M" <IHateSpam@sapm123.com> wrote in message news:uDtUls25DHA.3852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Does MS CRM have any offline users synchron...

Can I delete a saved view that was assigned to someone else?
I created a view for a user, then assigned it to them. However, now it is clogging up my personal views. I tried to delete the view from my list, but it deleted it from other users view. Am I stuck with the views forever? When you assign a view or another record to a different user, the view is automatically "shared" back to you. Now that they own the view, they can un-share it. The other user should click on "Advanced Find" and select the Saved Views tab, select the view in question, click the "More Actions..." button, then "Sharing" and remo...

Automatic Forward
How can I automatically forward messages received from a specific sender to another's e-mail person? Thanks, ...

This batch has been marked for posting by another user.
I got an error message above in GP 8.0 when trying to transfer items through a batch. I reset the MKDTOPST field in SY00500 from 1 to 0 to disable the error message and deleted the matching record in IV30200 in order for posting to run. Is this the method to resolve the issue or not? Am I missing any other backend tables? If you have experience the similar issue or know how to troubleshoot this issue, please help. Thanks! KTN: You also need to delete the batch from SY0800 in the DYNAMICS database. Do not delete anything from IV30200 - this is a transaction history file. It is ...

CE6: How to Disable SIP popup automatically
Hi, I know SIP popup can be disabled by the following registry setting in CE5: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip] "TurnOffAutoDeploy"=dword:1 But It doesn't work in CE6. How to disable SIP auto-Popup in CE6? Thanks. Eric The SIP Auto Deploy in CE is due to Windows Controls invoke SHSipPreference (exported by AYGSHELL.DLL). So the easiest way is to avoid including AGYSHELL (SYSGEN_AYGSHELL) But if excluding AYGSHELL is not an option, you may need to modify the SHSipPreference (PRIVATE\SHELL\SHELLPSL\HAVEAYGSHELL\shellpsl.cpp) to supress SIP s...

Set desktop for default save in windows 7
How do I et desktop for default save in windows 7 In article <11B579ED-5C7D-46D5-943F-CCDE6C961D95@microsoft.com>, Mc wrote: > How do I et desktop for default save in windows 7 To be clear on what you're after: You want to set things so your office programs save by default to the Window desktop, is that correct? What version of Office do you have? ...

Automatic Database Backup
Is it possible to right code to automatically backup a database? And if so how, or where, can I get information on this? Hi There are a few way to do this. I have windows scheuler doing this on all my databases (at 1 min past midnight each day). Open Scheduled Tasks (it's in the control panel). It's very simple and not likely to go wrong -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Ayo" wrote: > Is it possible to right code to automatically backup a database? And if so > how, or where, can I get information on this? Thanks Wayne. So I take it that, there is no way t...

Automatically format charts with range of dates
What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from another spreadsheet. They are basically week totals for my business and make a chart compared to say last year. What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter the new data in and change. Instead of having to go into the chart data and changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to reflect the ...

automatic output from known data
i have 2 spreadsheets of data: 1=english, 2=metric each spreadsheet has 3 columns, with the first column being an ID #. on my output spreadsheet i have 4 blanks. in blank 1 i enter a "1" or "2" for english/metric in blank 2 i enter the ID # i want blanks 3 and 4 to automatically be filled with the other tw numbers from the id#'s row. DATA WORKSHEETS english 1 123.8 9.8 2 122.7 10.3 ... metric 1 1983 9.8 2 1965 10.3 ... OUTPUT WORKSHEET blank 1 = english <----- manual blank 2 = 1 <----- manual blank 3 = 123.8 <---- automatic blank 4 = 9.8 <---- automati ...

Attention Publisher Trial/Evaluation Users
Please try to activate/enable your Trial/Evaluation version of Publisher now. They have addressed the issue related to the troubles many have experienced. However, if you STILL can't get it to work, please email me direct. bkvalheim@publishermvps.com -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Favicon
Hi, I think I have found a small bug in IE 8 and I was wondering if anyone could confirm this was happening to them. Steps to reproduce: 1) You need HTTP Watch, or IE Watch, or Fiddler running. 2) Pick a site and add it to you list of sites for compatibility mode. 3) Visit the site with your http watcher running. Bug: If you look at your user agent, it will be "compatible; MSIE 7.0 (etc.)" for all of your requests, EXCEPT for the request to favicon.ico, which will be "compatible; MSIE 8.0 (etc.)" This bug is more annoying than it seems, because ...

Insert date automatically
I have a column with values such as: 3/25 3/24 3/29 3/21 3/21 3/21 And wish to automatically add todays date if the value of the cell is blank in the mm/dd format. I have used an =If(Column:Column="",TODAY()) in a column next to it and formatted it in mm/dd to get the desired result. But how can I take this value (todays date) and insert it back into the original column automatically and without changing the other valuse? As always thank you! Rick Hi, Rick: Here's one way. Step 1 is to make a backup of your original file so you have a fallback in case something goes ...

Condition prompting data incomplete
Hi there. I have a vlookup table and want to create a rule in the data entry sheet (not vlookup source data) that when a Product is selected from the vlookup dropbox (Price is included via vlkup), the user is required to enter data into a non-vlookup cell on the same row but different column named Number. I have no idea what to use or how to implement a formula. Oh, and how to restrict to 4 digits only? eg. ... | Product | Price | Number | .. ... | peas | $2 | 2007 | .. When Peas are selected and the user moves to another row for example, you are required to enter the Number on that r...