writing on an excel file

my employer emailed me an expense report and i downloaded excel. i can't seem
to write on this document. is it because its a read only fiel? how do i
convert it to be able to edit and write in my expenxes? HELP!!!!!!
0
RITZ (1)

is it because it's read only ? - check with properties under explorer.

either change it there, or save as a different name

Steve

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 18:06:02 +0100, RITZ <RITZ@discussions.microsoft.com=

wrote:

> my employer emailed me an expense report and i downloaded excel. i can=
't  =

> seem
> to write on this document. is it because its a read only fiel? how do =
> convert it to be able to edit and write in my expenxes? HELP!!!!!!
0
sj_walton (248)
9/2/2006 6:31:06 PM
From where did you "download Excel"?

Maybe you downloaded the Excel Viewer which allows you to open and view/print
Excel files, but nothing else.

Maybe you really have Excel, but the worksheet is protected?

Maybe the employer saved the file as read-only?

Do you get any error messages when you attempt to edit the active sheet?

If so, what are they?

Many scenarios available here.

Your ability to edit the workbook depends upon........

1.  Do you have Excel installed

2.  If yes, is the sheet protected.

3.  Did the employer save as read-only.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:06:02 -0700, RITZ <RITZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>my employer emailed me an expense report and i downloaded excel. i can't seem
>to write on this document. is it because its a read only fiel? how do i
>convert it to be able to edit and write in my expenxes? HELP!!!!!!

0
Gord
9/2/2006 7:38:12 PM
If the file is marked readonly, that's not enough to stop you from making
changes in the worksheet.

But it is enough to stop you from saving the file under that same path/name.

I'm gonna guess that Gord got the prize with the excel viewer.

If you only have that viewer, you may find that this allows you to make changes
you can save:

You may want to try OpenOffice on your home computer:
http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD

(It's a free download.  You pay minor money for the shipping and handling the
cd.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

sorting dates in Excel 97
Running a worksheet that lists all medical expenses and am not able to always insert date, expense, who to, in correct sequence. Some postings just come in on time. Is there a sort formula that will allow me to sort these entries in sequence? Will the sorting move up the entire row that lists date, amount, payable to, etc. also? Thank you, Steve T. I wouldn't use any formulas for this. I'd select the range (all the columns in that range, plus the last row of headers, plus all the data) and do Data|Sort If you include all the columns that should move with the sort, you'll ...

using excel form to be filled in with data from sucessive worksheets
I have collected data on four seperate worksheets (in one workbook) and would like to use this data to generate a confirmation statement which I have set up as a form on another worksheet in the workbook. How can I fill the data into the form from the other worksheets? ...

How to link Excel deadline dates to Outlook?
Need to link dates to Outlook users in either email or tasks, for purpose of task reminders and to track completion of task. ...

"File not found" and "The form name is misspelled..." errors
I am still bulding a database. It contains no data, and contains no embedded macros. Yet, when I go to build code, I get these errors: "File not found" followed by "The form name * is misspelled or refers to a form the doesn't exist" The problem does not lie in the form that automatically opens when the database opens, and there are no embedded macros (I've read that these are the two main places an error such as this can occur). I did a search in the code box, and do find the two subforms listed even though neither contains any kind of code. I ca...

Write
I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested to use the Write mode to do this. What is Write, and how do I access it? Are you using voice recognition? Margins are simply changed in the Arrange Menu in Publisher. Are you in the right newsgroup? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CBC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:183bb01c44a40$107bd5d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested > to use the Write mode to do this. W...

Excel Macro #2
I need to create an Excel Macro tha will import a series of txt files, one below the other, automatically. The macro will be run every two weeks and each txt file will have additional rows. What I want to know is how to automatically position the curson to the next open cell in column A after the previous txt file was imported. Can anyone help? Range("A1").Offset(ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count, 0).Select Dan E "Robert Blankenhorn" <Blankenhorn.B@cpcnet.co.richland.oh.us> wrote in message news:05ab01c35dc3$99bb7130$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to creat...

Macro Help- combining "CS" files
Below is the macro I have to go to a certain file and combine all spreadsheets. I did not write this macro myself. I just received it and modified it to work for my situation. When this maco is run it gets to the first file and says I cannot change a read only file and says I must unprotect the worksheet. This sheet is not protected but I really only want to copy the info on it anyway. Is there a way to modify this macro to copy the information. I could save all of the "CS" files as new files but that would defeat the purpose of automating this job Any help is greatly a...

Is there a way for Windows Service to Read/Write HKCU Reg key ?
Hi: I'm writing a Windows Service program which needs to read/write the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key for the current logged on user. I know that for a Windows service does not have concept of HKCU since it is always running in SYSTEM's context. But is there a way (trick?) for a service to access the HKCU registry key? Thanks In Advance ! Polaris Hello Try, from a user application (the one that is logged on, or the current user), to send the services the user's SID. Then access the HKCU through HKEY_USERS\users_sid\............ Hope that helps, Elias "Polaris&qu...

Writing formula for excel worksheet
Item Rate1 Rate2 Rate3 A 3 4 6 B 8 5 23 C 56 5 78 Above is my excel sheet. I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3) for Item B - Rate2(5) For Item C - Rate2 (5) There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to evaluate. Then select this range and click format - conditional format - cell value - is equal to =($L$1) and apply your bold font. The lowest value in the range will then become bold. Mike "Gaur...

average function in Excel 2002
Hello all! I wish to obtain the average of a number of numeric cells but wish this average to be ongoing rather than restricted to a range of cells. For example =AVERAGE(D13:D17) will only give the average of the cells D13 to D17 but I will be continually adding more data and wish for this to be calculated in the average also. My overall objective here is to carry out evaluations on staff performance and as each new review arrives from a client regarding a staff member, I will be adding a new row to include this data.Therefore need to have the number of all reviews received whether i...

write protect/write redirect/kios mode
Hey, I LOVE snapshots in virtualmachines and think it would be awesome to have something like this for my main windows install. Anyone know of any hardware/software to redirect writes to another drive/file/memory/hardware? Or hardware to write protect a drive for kios's (i found some once befor the reverted all changes on shutdown, but cant find it anymore ><) I know VSS(virtual shadow copy service) has a function to redirect on write and wondering if i might be able to use that :/ It will just make everything cleaner, and give alot of flexiblity to setting up ...

How to replace two system files?
I have an XP machine. Have just replaced a couple files from a W7 machine. The files are:- c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys ....and now I can't boot the XP machine. How to get back to before I replaced the files? Thanks. "John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uLL8mqL0KHA.264@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I have an XP machine. Have just replaced a couple files from a W7 machine. > The files are:- > c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys > c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys > ....

EXCEL 2003/2007
I want to enter data in a cell in sheet1, data entered will accumulated in sheet2 every time I save. Thus, a summary table is created in sheet2. Is this possible in MS Excel? How will I do it? I would appreciate it the answer to this query is also emailed to me at giovannierualo@yahoo.com. Yes, that is possible. But you have to provide more detail about what you want. You say that you will be entering data into ONE cell in sheet1. Will that always be the same cell? If so, what cell? Then you say you want this data to be "accumulated" in sheet2. Exactly how d...

Cannot write to memory location
I can not (all of the sudden) run Publisher in the last week. When starting to run it, I get that it cannot write to a certain memory locaiton, so it is shutting down. I need to get this program working. I have read through this forum and tried the different fixes as well as the knowledge base (emptied the temp file, disabled anti-virus, etc.) but it still won't work. An example is: "The instruction at "0x77f585c0" referenced memory at "0x00000000". the memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program." The header read...

Excel Tutorials
Hello, Newbie here. Any advice on which online Excel tutorials are deemed best by those on this NG. Thanks! Bert Morris don't know if these are all still valid, but they have been recommended in the past http://www.internet4classrooms.com/on-line_excel.htm http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/ http://www.baycongroup.com/el0.htm http://einstein.cs.uri.edu/tutorials/csc101/pc/excel97/excel.html http://www.bized.ac.uk/timeweb/excel.htm -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Bert Morris" <bertmorris@erols.com> ...

how do i write checkbox to.....
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050607000103070200020407 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit how do i write checkbox1 boolean to xml in vb6 i can only do cstr( checkbox1.value) but in vb.net can't write to xml. i am doing irc chat similar to mirc or pirch chat. rw.WriteConfigInfo("User Modes", chkInvisible.Text, chkInvisible.Checked, "PirateChat.xml") in procedure events: ' Both the Key and the Value are filled ' Find the key ...

deleting temp web files
When I delete the temporary internet files with the Iexplorer menu of Tools->InternetOptions->General->DeleteFiles Does this delete said files only for the current User account logged on? Or does it delete said files for all user accts on machine ? Just the current user I think. neil "RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message news:#FNlBGX3KHA.1016@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > When I delete the temporary internet files with the Iexplorer menu of > Tools->InternetOptions->General->DeleteFiles > Does this delete said files only for the current...

Excel print question
I'm diplaying a printable form created by Excel on the web. Although it does not need to be interactive, it does need to be printed out to normal 8.5X11 paper for use. The form is wide and requires "landscape" orientation on the page set-up. When I publish the form to the web it always cuts off the right 1/4 of the form. I've tried portrait orientation, scaling down the form and everything else I can think of. Regardless of what I do, I can't get IE to print it as intended. ...

How to Insert Excel file into webpage
Hi I have made some tax calculators and would like to know how to insert them onto my website. I have tried the frontpage route but the user will have to download "Excel XP Web component" to be able to view it. Is there any other method where the web user be able to see/use the calculator without downloading any additional software for example like this website http://listentotaxman.com which I believe he made in "mysql" How can I achieve the same result by inserting my excel file in a website? Thanks ...

Excel List #2
Using the list option from Excel: Data->Validation. Is there a way to have different display and data values in the list. You could do this with programming. There's a sample workbook on my web site that shows a product name and code in the Data Validation dropdown list. After an item is selected, the cell shows only the product name. You may be able to adapt this to your workbook. On the following page: http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html Under Data Validation, look for "Data Validation Columns" Excel list-display and data values wrote: > Using the list o...

Hanging while Saving the Excel File
Hi, While when I try to Save My Excel File the system is Hanging . I had also Reinstalled the MSOffice but the Same problem exits.please Give me any solution to solve this. Hi Prabu, We need some more information. Does this problem exist for just one file or do you have problems for all Excel files? By "Hanging" do you mean freezing or just taking a long time? These answers might help someone find a solution. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Write access to a LDAP server.
Is there any way to enable write access in Outlook to my LDAP server? The LDAP server allows this functionality, Outlook doesn't. Any plugins that can do this? Thanks. Derek ...

Routing a Workbook in Excel
When I click on File, Send To, Routing Recipient, nothing happens. What do I need to do to get this feature to work? How do I route a workbook in Excel from one person on the list to the next and back to me? cindyc79 wrote: > When I click on File, Send To, Routing Recipient, nothing happens. What do I > need to do to get this feature to work? > > How do I route a workbook in Excel from one person on the list to the next > and back to me? > > If the functions in the freely downloadable file at http://home.pacbell.net/beban are available to your workbook, you m...

looking for a way to unlock a back end mdb file
Is there any way to unlock a back end database file? I understand that one answer is to get all the users that are linked to it to close down. However, we're tried that and the file will sometimes remain locked for a few days. We're using Access 2003 in a multi-user environment, and every night we import data from other databases, then compact and repair the back end mdb file. To ensure that all the users close down their front end file at the end of every day, I have a timer event in a hidden form that checks the name of a file on the network server every 30 minute...

Opening a Excel 2004 file in Excel 2002
When I try to open a file (workbook) in Excel 2002 that was saved saved in Excel 2004, I get an error 90267010, wrong file format. What do I need to do? Use 'Save As' and change the 'Save As Type:' to an earlier version. HTH, Gary Brown "jbaldwin1984" <jbaldwin1984@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34D0002F-6B67-4FF7-80FF-D5B2039D5188@microsoft.com... > When I try to open a file (workbook) in Excel 2002 that was saved saved in > Excel 2004, I get an error 90267010, wrong file format. What do I need to > do? XL 2004 is MAC form...