Writing formula for excel worksheet

Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
A	3	4	6
B	8	5	23
C	56	5	78

Above is my excel sheet.
I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
for Item B - Rate2(5)
For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
Gaurav (24)

There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell
type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to
evaluate.

Then select this range and click format  - conditional format - cell value -
is equal to
=($L$1) and apply your bold font.

The lowest value in the range will then become bold.

Mike
"Gaurav" wrote:

> Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
> A	3	4	6
> B	8	5	23
> C	56	5	78
>
> Above is my excel sheet.
> I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
> should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
> for Item B - Rate2(5)
> For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
Mike1154 (1216)
2/22/2007 10:24:00 AM
hey
Select each row and apply Conditional Formatting
cell value    - equal to - =min(1:1) for the first row and then bold
then the 2nd row
cell value    - equal to - =min(2:2) for the first row and then bold

Etc
etc
hope this helped

"Gaurav" wrote:

> Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
> A	3	4	6
> B	8	5	23
> C	56	5	78
>
> Above is my excel sheet.
> I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
> should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
> for Item B - Rate2(5)
> For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
CmK1 (7)
2/22/2007 10:35:00 AM
Select all the rows from row2 down (this ensures A2 is active)

Click Format > Conditional Formatting
Under Condition 1, set it as:
Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(A2),A2=MIN(2:2))
Click Format button > Font tab > Bold/red? > OK
Click OK at the main dialog

--
Max
Singapore
"Gaurav" wrote:
> Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
> A	3	4	6
> B	8	5	23
> C	56	5	78
>
> Above is my excel sheet.
> I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
> should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
> for Item B - Rate2(5)
> For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
demechanik (4693)
2/22/2007 2:48:23 PM
This will work for 2 columns only if i am having n no of columns than how to
do that?

"Max" wrote:

> Select all the rows from row2 down (this ensures A2 is active)
>
> Click Format > Conditional Formatting
> Under Condition 1, set it as:
> Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(A2),A2=MIN(2:2))
> Click Format button > Font tab > Bold/red? > OK
> Click OK at the main dialog
>
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---
> "Gaurav" wrote:
> > Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
> > A	3	4	6
> > B	8	5	23
> > C	56	5	78
> >
> > Above is my excel sheet.
> > I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
> > should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
> > for Item B - Rate2(5)
> > For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
Gaurav (24)
2/23/2007 6:14:00 AM
"Gaurav" wrote:
> This will work for 2 columns only
> if i am having n no of columns than how to do that?

The initial step given earlier:
> > Select all the rows from row2 down (this ensures A2 is active)
means to select entire rows (select the row headers)

If you did the above step correctly, you'd find that the CF will work across
entire rows, ie across all cols. Give it another try.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
0
demechanik (4693)

Timesheet formula
I'm wondering if anyone can give me a hand with writing a formula to calculate hours on a timesheet? I need the formula to calculate the number of hours of ordinary time, where ordinary time is paid for the first 4 hours of work or until 12 noon (ie if I have worked 11am - 1 pm there would be only 1 hour of ordinary time, 7am-3pm is 4 hours etc). I am not using 24 hour clock or am/pm but hoping that the formula will recognise whether the number written is in the morning or afternoon depending on whether start time is bigger than finish time. -- kddd ------------------------------------...

web query on EXCEL does not work. Why?
In November 05 the link to the financial query in Excel stopped working. The error message says" ...unable to open http//investor.msn.com/external/excel....." I've tried it on several different computers. What am I missing? Not sure if it is just a typo but shouldn't > http//investor.msn.com/external/excel....." be > http://investor.msn.com/external/excel....." (ie a missing colon) -- JulieD julied at hctsReMoVeThIs dot net dot au "jimf" wrote: > In November 05 the link to the financial query in Excel stopped working. The > error...

Microsoft Excel Merge Cells
Hey Guys, I work for a Marketing company and every week i am inundated with data to present in a clear and concise way to board members. I have cells that are presented like this: 10 11 12 13 14 10 11 12 13 14 10 11 12 13 14 10 11 12 13 14 20 21 22 23 24 20 21 22 23 24 20 21 22 23 24 20 21 22 23 24 So what I have been doing is spending about 2hours a week merging cells. I would highlight the four 10's and merge; highlight the four 11's and merge. I want to know if the...

Formula question
I need help with getting a formula to work. I have a spreadsheet that add time accured and subtracts time used... what I need is for it to stop and not continue to add accured time if the max is reached. Thanks for any help offered. If the accurals are in column A and the used are in column B: =MIN(SUM(A1:A100)-SUM(B1:B100),1234) where 1234 is the max -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 "Roberta" wrote: > I need help with getting a formula to work. > > I have a spreadsheet that add time accured and subtracts time used... what I > need i...

Description box in excel
I need to create a spreadsheet and be able to allow the users to click on a box or column header and have it open up another box that gives a detailed description/infomation that won't fit into the spreadsheet itself. How do I do that? Hi why not use 'Insert - Comment' for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Schmyerlou" <Schmyerlou@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1C2EEFB4-2CCE-4198-9302-FE5F7D56877F@microsoft.com... > I need to create a spreadsheet and be able to allow the users to click on a > box or column header and...

Is there a way for Windows Service to Read/Write HKCU Reg key ?
Hi: I'm writing a Windows Service program which needs to read/write the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key for the current logged on user. I know that for a Windows service does not have concept of HKCU since it is always running in SYSTEM's context. But is there a way (trick?) for a service to access the HKCU registry key? Thanks In Advance ! Polaris Hello Try, from a user application (the one that is logged on, or the current user), to send the services the user's SID. Then access the HKCU through HKEY_USERS\users_sid\............ Hope that helps, Elias "Polaris&qu...

"real" formula
I have a large spreadsheet model to audit. There is a lot of "semiformulas" meaning formula like =4569 + (7891*0,15) and so on. I need to find a macro picking up these type of formula. I am not interested in "real" formulas created by user by means of FurmulaWizzard ( formulas concerning function names like SUM, VLOOKUP etc.) Thank you for your assistance. Jiri Cihar hi, you the keyboard shortcut ctrl+ ~ this will show formulas as formulas instead of calculations. press ctrl+~ again returns the view back to calculations. if =4569 + (7891*0.15) is calculating a value the...

Write
I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested to use the Write mode to do this. What is Write, and how do I access it? Are you using voice recognition? Margins are simply changed in the Arrange Menu in Publisher. Are you in the right newsgroup? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CBC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:183bb01c44a40$107bd5d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested > to use the Write mode to do this. W...

Excel Macro #2
I need to create an Excel Macro tha will import a series of txt files, one below the other, automatically. The macro will be run every two weeks and each txt file will have additional rows. What I want to know is how to automatically position the curson to the next open cell in column A after the previous txt file was imported. Can anyone help? Range("A1").Offset(ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count, 0).Select Dan E "Robert Blankenhorn" <Blankenhorn.B@cpcnet.co.richland.oh.us> wrote in message news:05ab01c35dc3$99bb7130$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to creat...

excel formula 12-28-09
I have rows of inventory numbers and I need to add a single number to the number already in the cell, make sence? I am adding additional inventory to the number in the cell and I don't want to have to add the numbers. It would be clear if you can post an example. -- Jacob "Shelley" wrote: > I have rows of inventory numbers and I need to add a single number to the > number already in the cell, make sence? I am adding additional inventory to > the number in the cell and I don't want to have to add the numbers. store 001 004 005 006 ...

Using names in a formula
Hi, I used Excel a lot some years ago and now need to use it again (Excel2000) and can't figure out how to do something that was really useful. The situation: 'Budget' worksheet has month names in the top row and account numbers in the left column. I have selected all cells and Created Names with TopRow and Left Column selected. 'Reports' worksheet has month names in the top row and account names in the left column, but not necessarily in the same relative position as in the Budget worksheet. A formula such as =May Bank_Charges (where May and Bank_Charges are names) ret...

Formula in word 2003
create a formula in a word form. I have a situation where I ned to provide an auto response based on the number d in a bokmarked cell "Risk1" I have tried the following but it brings up an error {if { risk1 } <="4""YES"}{if {risk1}>"4"<"10""Stop"}{if{risk1}>"9"<"17""Report"} The basic requirement is to provide a different response based on a number value in form field bookmark "Risk1" which can range between 1-4, 5-9, 10-16 and 17-25 each of the above ranges need a...

Writing formula for excel worksheet
Item Rate1 Rate2 Rate3 A 3 4 6 B 8 5 23 C 56 5 78 Above is my excel sheet. I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3) for Item B - Rate2(5) For Item C - Rate2 (5) There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to evaluate. Then select this range and click format - conditional format - cell value - is equal to =($L$1) and apply your bold font. The lowest value in the range will then become bold. Mike "Gaur...

write protect/write redirect/kios mode
Hey, I LOVE snapshots in virtualmachines and think it would be awesome to have something like this for my main windows install. Anyone know of any hardware/software to redirect writes to another drive/file/memory/hardware? Or hardware to write protect a drive for kios's (i found some once befor the reverted all changes on shutdown, but cant find it anymore ><) I know VSS(virtual shadow copy service) has a function to redirect on write and wondering if i might be able to use that :/ It will just make everything cleaner, and give alot of flexiblity to setting up ...

average function in Excel 2002
Hello all! I wish to obtain the average of a number of numeric cells but wish this average to be ongoing rather than restricted to a range of cells. For example =AVERAGE(D13:D17) will only give the average of the cells D13 to D17 but I will be continually adding more data and wish for this to be calculated in the average also. My overall objective here is to carry out evaluations on staff performance and as each new review arrives from a client regarding a staff member, I will be adding a new row to include this data.Therefore need to have the number of all reviews received whether i...

Excel 2007 ribbon issue when in cell edit mode
I have the most basic tab created for the Excel 2007 ribbon, xml at end along with VBA After Excel starts, if I click my tab, my button is enabled and it works. After that, regardless of the state my current cell is in if I go back to my tab, my button is still enabled. However, if when I start Excel I immediately enter something into cell A1, then while still in edit mode I click my tab on the ribbon, I get a beep, and my button is not enabled. Furthermore, it will never become enabled short of disabling my add-in and reloading, or restarted Excel. Interestingly enough, i...

Formula for calculating Variance
I need help with formulas to calculate the percentage of variance between planned miles and actual miles driven by drivers at several different locations. I am given the miles per location daily. I need to calculate weekly percentage per location. Then YTD percentage per local, then total for all locals, then YTD for all locals. Can someone help me? -- Lori Lynn ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lori Lynn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?th...

Cannot write to memory location
I can not (all of the sudden) run Publisher in the last week. When starting to run it, I get that it cannot write to a certain memory locaiton, so it is shutting down. I need to get this program working. I have read through this forum and tried the different fixes as well as the knowledge base (emptied the temp file, disabled anti-virus, etc.) but it still won't work. An example is: "The instruction at "0x77f585c0" referenced memory at "0x00000000". the memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program." The header read...

Need Formula To Identify Lowest Price in Column
I need a formula to identify which vendor has the lowest price for each item *Vendor A Vendor B Vendor C* *Item 1* $10.00 $11.00 $9.00 *Item 2* $20.00 $18.00 $21.00 *Item 3* $4.25 $4.90 $4.65 Thanks / MS +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: ExcelSample.JPG | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3520 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- ms10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ms...

delete formulas but retain answer
I have used this formula SUM($E$3*E8) to give answer in cell F8 It is part of a contract document which I have to return to them In cells e3 to e8 are my rates and other info used to arrive at a total. Now I only want to return this document with the column that is now in F8 minus E3 to E8 If I delete E3 to E8 I lose the total that is in F8 (cause I will have deleted the formulas) Is there a way to retain the info in F8 but delete columns E3 to E8 thanks Am Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:23:22 +0100 schrieb SS: > Is there a way to retain the info in F8 but delete columns E3 to E8...

how do i write checkbox to.....
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050607000103070200020407 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit how do i write checkbox1 boolean to xml in vb6 i can only do cstr( checkbox1.value) but in vb.net can't write to xml. i am doing irc chat similar to mirc or pirch chat. rw.WriteConfigInfo("User Modes", chkInvisible.Text, chkInvisible.Checked, "PirateChat.xml") in procedure events: ' Both the Key and the Value are filled ' Find the key ...

Write access to a LDAP server.
Is there any way to enable write access in Outlook to my LDAP server? The LDAP server allows this functionality, Outlook doesn't. Any plugins that can do this? Thanks. Derek ...

Excel List to Table #2
thanks Herbert. Herbert Seidenberg Wrote: > Copy Date to a column with Advanced Filterunique records only. > > =SUMPRODUCT((Date=Date2 R)*(Name=Name2 C)*Data) Is it like? Sheet1 = original (1D) list Sheet2 = one with AdvFilter-unique Sheet3 = resultant 2D table. I suppose R and C are intrinsically defined as Row and Column? still trying.... Do you think I can extend this to multi-dimension analysis? thanx Frankie LAU. -- frtklau ...

MULTI STORE ORDER WRITING-SIMPLIFY
Hi- We have 7 stores and need to simplify the order writing process. Is there any way to write POs for all of our stores without having to do each order separately? We would like for all orders to come up with the items we want to order, being able to change the quantities according to the store. Thank you in advance for your help. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0599_01C6CAFF.B4705610 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable J, Have you tried the 340 PO Planner worksheet? --=20 * Get Secure! - ...

Pivot Table formula
I would like to produce a Pivot Table, but without using the Pivot table function. I would like to use the SUMIF but I am aware that this can only be done for a single criteria. I have used the Condition Sum Wizard but this cannot be copies down or across without returning #Value. How can I find the formula behind a Pivot table so I can type his in myself. Thanks for any assistance. Andy --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ As a pivot table convert I cannot understand why you would want to do things the hard way <<grin>>. Or do you mean that you want to make a ...