Why No "Format Cells" Choice Option Always ?

Hello,

Using Excel 2007.

When I select a Column of numbers, I usually see a
choice for "Format Cells"

At other times, for different Columns (also with numbers in the cells, I
do not get the Format Cells choice.

All that shows up as being selectable are:

Cut, Copy, Clear Contents

Why might this be ?

Thanks
0
rgsros3251 (59)

Pivot Table / Format cells
I am setting up a pivot table at the moment, and part of my source dat is formatted at percentage. In the pivot table it shows the data as 0. instead of 60%. I found out how to format the cell, by rightclicking it and going t select, enable selection, and then format / percentage. It now show 60% My problem is that I have a pull down menu at the top, with 100 names And when I choose the name Andy for example, and format the cell a percentage, it works, but as soon as I choose another name, for exampl ben, the fild is unformatted again, eg shows 0.6. Surely I don't have to go through th...

format cells #6
I have solved this so it is just my curiosity at play here. Using someone else's sheet, I entered a formula (=D235/80) into a cell expecting a numeric result not realizing that the cell was formatted as Text (so I got to see the formula as text). So I changed the cell format to Number with 4 places. To my surprise, the cell still displayed the formula. I looked for a leading ' or space but there was none. Retyping the formula produced the result I expected in the first place. What is going on? TIA Len ______________________________________________________ Changing the forma...

Format Cells
In some cases when I right click and attempt to select format cells, nothing happens. Nothing pops up. Why? This is from a converted spreadsheet from QPW. I have to copy and paste the text, then copy and paste a blank cell over the offending cell, then paste my text or number back to the original cell, before I can open up a format window. Surely there is some way around all this? Bruce Coincidence--from a response to a similar post: One more guess if your worksheet isn't protected: I've seen a problem in a couple of workbooks that were created by a different application (Lo...

how do you format cells by time?
I am trying to sort times by earliest to latest on excel. EX: I want this 8:30am-9:30am 9:45am-12:00pm 12:45pm-1:30pm 2:00pm-3:45pm I have this 2:00pm-3:45pm 9:45am-12:00pm 8:30am-9:30am 12:45pm-1:30pm I have them mixed up, but how do I format them to work in ascending order by time?? You need to create a helper column to extract the end time into, and sort on that column. This will extract the time =TIME(MID(A1,FIND("-",A1,4)+1,FIND(":",A1,4)-FIND("...

Format cells in Excel 2003
I have column A with text & column B blank or with percentages. I would like column A to be formated bold when column B is blank! Example: Now What I would like A B A B smith "Blank" smith(bold) "Blank" mark 0% mark(norm) 0% 1. click on A1 2. Format > Conditional Formating... > Formula is > =b1="" 3. pick Bold 4. copy this format down the column -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200903 "Mazin H&...

Why can't I format cells in Excel 2000?
I am working with a spreadsheet I created a year ago. When I right mouse click on a cell to change the format, nothing happens. If the problem is that the Cell menu is disabled you can re-enable it with a macro: Commandbars("Cell").Enabled = True If you're not familiar with macros you might try renaming your toolbar file (where "customizations" are kept). With Excel closed find you XLB file (For Excel 2000 typically EXCEL.XLB in C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel) and rename it. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "La...

Is it possible to format cells in cms
Does anyone know if it is possible to format cells in cms rather tha points. I am trying to size some cells to a specifice height fo printing. Can this be done or am I at the mercy of MS and have to jus guess the size. Any help would be much appreciated. Erdi -- erdi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- erdie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1551 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27085 On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:44:31 -0500, erdie <erdie.1efmdc@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: ...

Excel 2007 format cells to date format
Hi got a problem with excel. everytime I open a file the cells are formated in a date format and I have to reformat them. Any suggestions to solve that thanks -- Stefan ...

How do I restore format cells menu?
I am working in Excel 2002, multi-page workbook. On some pages "format cell" is not operational - neither from the toolbar or by right-clicking mouse. Command is there but produces no result. On other pages in the same book all is well. There are no protected pages, and this is happening only in one particular workbook. Have tried reset to no avail. When copy and paste material to properly functioning page problem is carried as well. Any ideas would be muchly appreciated. ...

format cells having text
Hi frends, I have a question.I have put a lot of charts in the worksheet which are specific to each person. I put the person's name followed by his/her charts.then I put the next person's name in the adjacent cell followed by his charts. So the persons names are not in a single column or row. I would like to format the cells having the text(persons name) so that they appear prominent. How do I format the cells with a color and bold text.At present I am formatting each cell having the name and then applying format painter to the next cell containing text. But it is taking a lot o...

Format cells for time #2
I want to be able to format ceels for time BUT I don't want it to be "clock based," i.e. I want Excel to recognize 2:45 as 2 min. and 45 sec., not 2:45 AM. I have tired all of the formats that Excel offers under "Format Cell," but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks! Josh, Format/Cells/Number/Custom m "min "ss "sec" John "Josh k" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:002301c3d15d$0c78c170$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I want to be able to format ceels for time BUT I don't > want it to be "clock based,"...

format cells that will show the data in parenthesis
I would like to format some cells that I put data into to be in ( ) Parentesis.. How do I do this? An example would have been very useful. Assuming it's negative numbers you want to parenthesize, use a custom format of: #,##0.00;(#,##0.00) Regards, Fred "Hoop" <Hoop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83F809EA-4095-421E-A77C-F4E8DAD85005@microsoft.com... >I would like to format some cells that I put data into to be in ( ) > Parentesis.. How do I do this? ...

format cells not to except dashes
I am trying to format a range of cells not to except dashes (-) ie. when entering phone numbers 123-123-1234 Format is a display function only, it doesn't affect how entries are parsed (I assume you mean "accept"). You can use validation. Select your range (I'll assume that A1 is the active cell). Choose Data/Validation/Allow:Custom with the formula =ISERR(FIND("-",A1)) In article <6ADB6887-0F6C-4D23-A2D4-CCCFC69CD006@microsoft.com>, "kclover" <kclover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to format a range of cells...

Making a toolbar button that can format cells a certain way...
In lieu of changing color, shading, outline, bold in 4 separate steps, I'd like to have a button that does it. Perhaps it'd be a button tied to a macro? Or some other way? One way: Use Tools/Customize to put the Style dropdown control (from the Edit category) on a toolbar. Create a style or styles (Format/Styles...) with the combination you want. Choose the style from the Style dropdown. In article <120d8f1c.0409150908.63743461@posting.google.com>, trippknightly@hotmail.com (Tripp Knightly) wrote: > In lieu of changing color, shading, outline, bold in 4 separate s...

Format cells with dates
Is there a way to format cells so that dates would change when the lead date is changed. for example, when I input monday's date, tue, wed, thur, etc will follow suit. Pat, Assuming the first date is in A1 B1: =A1+1 C1: =B 1+1 etc. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Pat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:115681B0-348E-447E-BB1F-F8347CFDB19B@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to format cells so that dates would change when the lead date is...

How to format cells in upercase entry
Hi I read the post for this question (8/8/2006) and Gord Dibben's answer works great. Original Question: I need to format a column so that all cell force any text entry to uppercase. Gord Dibben's Answer: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Column > 8 Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo ErrHandler Application.EnableEvents = False Target.Formula = UCase(Target.Formula) ErrHandler: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub This code allows all columns up to column 8 (column H) to be affected What I would like to know is can I nominate a p...

How do I format cells that get their data from an MySQL dB?
Howdy, I have a spreadsheet that uses an MS Query to connect to a MySQL database to retrieve data. One of the columns that gets populated is a phone number column. The phone numbers in the database are unformatted (i.e. 6052223456) I'd like to format the column so that the data is presented using a phone number mask (i.e. (605) 222-3456 ) However, I've tried the Format Cells and the setting Special -> Phone Number doesn't do anything to format the cells. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike I just copied one of the rows from the query spread sheet to a new normal spread shee...

how do i use format cells to alpha / numeric values
HAVE A STRING OF DATA i WANT TO ENTER into a cell, but I also want to set format to set the values. eg. if I put in asd123 I want it to appear as ASD123 but there are also occasions when I will put in a different mix of letters/numbers a12s3d, which I also want to come out as A12S3D. I can do this in Access but cant seem to crack the code in excel. Please help. Try =UPPER(E2) HTH Regards, Howard "Samvid69" <Samvid69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:701E3143-A79D-4FDE-8661-325795CE50F0@microsoft.com... > HAVE A STRING OF DATA i WANT T...

Format Cells?
Hello, Not sure if this is the easiest way to do this but I am wanting to create a series of cells A1 10.0.0 A2 10.0.1 A3 10.0.2 Etc. A14 10.0.15 A15 10.1.0 A16 10.1.1 A17 10.1.2 Etc. Is there an easy method of doing this perhaps with a Format function or will I have to create a sum to work out the last cell plus .0.1? Any help is appreciated. Andrew. Give this a try in any starting cell, eg in A1: =10&"."&INT((ROWS($1:1)-1)/16)&"."&MOD(ROWS($1:1)-1,16) Copy down -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "@Homeonthe...

Format Cells
I have a worksheet in which I want a column formatted so that I can put in a value that looks for like 10-11 or 2-3. If I use the Format Menu and choose Cells and specify General, as soon as I press enter, the value in the original cell changes to 11-Oct or 3-Feb and the format has changed to Custom d-mmm. I have tried selecting the column and choosing Edit-Clear-Formats but that doesn't help. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to solve this problem. I don't think it existed when I first created the worksheet but has now appeared magically! Virginia Hi either for...

Format Cells #9
Is there any way to prevent text from extending into adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) Hi use 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'word wrap' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "KPK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:130ec01c4434e$26cd8610$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to prevent text from extending into > adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) We actually do not want the text to wrap, we just want it to truncate. Thanks, Kieran >-----Original Message----- >Hi >use &#...

format cells as zip code not working
I have selected a column, choose Format, Cells, Special, Zip Code, but some of the cells continue to show up in error checking as "text". The spreadsheet is thousands of rows long, and I do not want to have to go through every single error to change text to number or zip. Why is the formatting not changing all cells? (I am copying & pasting the rows that have name/address/zip from another Excel spreadsheet I have - but I have changed the formatting on the zip code column to zip code in that spreadsheet as well to no avail). Formats don't change the underlyi...

FORMAT CELLS #10
I have a worksheet. Within that worksheet I have a few cells which if I right click on gives me the menu options and when I select the format cells nothing happens. While it opens a dialog box for other cells. I wanted to protect some cells by selecting the format cells options. Can someone tell me what is happening and why nothing happens if I select the format cell option ? Thanks, San The only time I've seen this is when the original workbook was created in a different program--crystal reports or Lotus 123. I included a few "sacrificial" cells in my selection, made my...

how to format cells so that it only shows thousands.
howdy, i want to format cells so that number like 1,234,567 = 1,234 or 1235 how can i do this other than divide by 10. i just want to use the format number feature. thanks kev : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the custom format 0, or use 0,0, >-----Original Message----- >howdy, > > >i want to format cells so that > >number like > >1,234,567 = 1,234 or 1235 > > >how can i do this other than divide by 10. > >i just want to use the format number feature. > > >thanks > >kev :) > > >--- >Mess...

Custom Format Cells
Hi all, I am trying to format a numeric cell. I have a number that is numeric, but I want to add a zero at the beginning of the number. I use the custom format procedure: "0"#. This will put zeros in the cells, but when I look in the formula bar, the zero is omitted. Any ideas? Randy -- araki ------------------------------------------------------------------------ araki's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15334 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=373312 Hi Araki, put a " ' " (inverted co...