What is the main thing to remember to get started in EXCEL?

What are some tips to make Excel easier to understand and employ?

Just remember that Excel is not a database, though it can do some database
functions, and it is not a word processor, though it can do some word
processing functions.

Get a good book - one by John Walkenbach would be a good choice:

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/index.htm

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Mr.Harrison" <Mr.Harrison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What are some tips to make Excel easier to understand and employ?

0
Bernie
2/1/2005 1:15:39 PM
if you spend more than 1/2hr bashing your head against a brick wall trying
to achieve something - it's time to check out the newsgroups

"Mr.Harrison" <Mr.Harrison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What are some tips to make Excel easier to understand and employ?

0
JulieD1 (2295)
2/1/2005 4:22:14 PM
Save before you try something new.  (Close without saving if you screwed up.)

Backup, backup, backup.

Try things against a test workbook.

Have a real objective.
Create a car mileage log.
Create a blood pressure log.
Monitor your weight.

Something that you really care about.  If you don't have a real project, it can
get boring pretty fast.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Where is main?
Hello all, I have some legacy C++ applications that I am wrapping in a MFC type interface. I find myself in need of identify the main () routine. I have one application that has some variables that I need to make availabe as a GLOBAL variable. The technique I use is to have a header file that declares a candidate variable as such: (file Myheader.h) .... GLOBAL int foo; ..... In all of the files that go into the application, the macro GLOBAL is defined as follows: #define GLOBAL extern In the file that has the main routine, and only the main routine, GLOBAL is defined as follows: #d...

I just installed xl2000 on my laptop. I have been using it on my pc so I copied and pasted my personalxl file into the xlstart folder, thinking I would have things at least close to the same on the laptop. The problem: Now when I open XL I have to select “New” to get a new workbook opened. If I remove personalxl from the xlstart folder everything works the way it is supposed to. I tried to save a workbook to the xlstart as a template with the name book.xlt and that did not help. (I did that after I put personalxl back into the xlstart folder.) I think I am missing this by a ‘Peri...

Get External Data Macro
I need a macro that does the following: Inserts a new worksheet Names the worksheet Sheet1 (or any other name) Prompts for Get External Data (allowing the user to find the file) Is there any way to do this? Or at least the last 2 parts? -- mkerstei ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mkerstei's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25688 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=393385 ...

Cannot open the DBF created from the SaveAs option of Excel
Hi, I have an Excel sheet with 150 columns and 8 rows of data, when I use the SaveAs option under the File menu of Excel with Type DBF4, it creates the dbf file with no errors. But when I try to open the file from VFP, it indictaes the following error and cannot be opened. "Table 'H:\Book11.dbf' has become corrupted. The table will need to be repaired before using again." But if I reduce the width of the columns in the Excel and then save it as a DBF, it is possible to opend the table even with 150 columns from VFP. The limit in VFP is a max. of 254 fields and max. no....

Images get distorted when printing
It seems that Excel distorts all images when you print them. They get vertically squeezed. This is not noticeable to most people. But is very apparent when you have a tall image that gets compressed. I have tested this on many computers and get the same result. 1. Start a new document. 2. Draw a "circular" Oval AutoShape. (Click and drag with Shift key held down.) 3. Do a print preview and Bingo! The circles are now ellipses! (They print that way too.) Has anyone experienced this too? Any suggestions for overcoming the problem? Yes, all my images and graphics display and pr...

Retreive Backup from main server
I am at a store where my computer crashed and I am afraid that my database back up file may have been corrupted. Every evening we "dump" into our main server as well as backing up locally. Does anyone know of a way that we can retreive the latest back up that we made into our main server, since the local backup is not working properly? ...

Sending from excel to word template
PLEASE HELP ME i have macro like this below which includes records from excel to word template, but I'd like to convert it in such way, that it includes records from excel to one word document (It is preparing one word document now for every record from excel). It should works like that: excel opens word template and inludes every record from excel to bookmarks in word template and then it saves document. Are You able to convert this macro below? Best regards Thomas Sub Auto_open() Range("Bad name of file") = ThisWorkbook.path & "\" & "szablon.doc"...

Start Time and End Time in Business Portal
I am working with a client that must be able to put a start time and end time in Business Portal Time Keeping. This is the second client I have worked with that has this requirement for Business Portal. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.mic...

Subform Causes Main Form to show same record Multiple times
I have a form named PatientsInfo that is based on table Tbl_Patients. In that form I have a subform that is based on table Tbl_FedPovertyLevel. I have 2 fields from Tbl_FedPovertyLevel on the subform -- HouseholdMemberName, HouseholdMemberIncome. When an additional HouseholdMember is entered into the subform, it links to the Tbl_Patients correctly. But on the record selector for the PatientsInfo main form, there are now several instances of the same Patient based on how many HouseholdMembers I have entered into the subform. I have to click the next record button several time...

Excel updating from XML file
I'm having a littl edifficulty getting Excel to dynamically update from an XML file. The XML file is generated from a program and I would like the Excel file to dynamically update. Problem is that the location of the XML and Excel file can change, that is they can be anywhere on a hard drive but both are in the same directory. The mapping of the XML file in Excel appears to be a complete file path C:/data/report/.... but the location could change. They could be in C:/data/report/run1 or run2, I don't want to have to re-map each time a report is generated. Ideally I would like t...

Why do I get duplicate emails from my wife?
We're on the same wireless network (an ATT DSL Wireless Gateway). When my wife emails me something, I get duplicate copies, and vice versa. I've also experienced it with a friend - also on the same DSL domain. AT&T tried all the usual suspects, including deleting the Email Account in Outlook (which caused all the emails still on the server to be re-downloaded (grrr) - to no avail. I know I "can alwayd delete the duplicates" but it gets pretty annoying. Any suggestions? "houstonbagpiper" <houstonbagpiper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

some of the color palletes in excel do not show there name when I.
some time I have to color certain item(s) in a certain color, but when I put the arrow on the color pallete, in Excel it does not identifies the color name and since many of the colors look similar than how do I know that I chose the correct one. I also can not find the cent symbol. Example--99cents please advice me Thank You BYE Hi can't help you with the color pallete question but (as far as i know) there is no cents symbol, generally people enter 99c as $0.99 however, if you really want the c to show up after numbers (and be warned this does not...

I am getting all kinds of delivery failures etc from emails I did not send
Help! I am getting TONS of delivery failure notices of different kinds from random (mostly overseas) emails accounts. These apparently were sent from xxxxx@mydomain.com where xxx is random emailnames and then attached to my domain. I can not disable the "catchall" feature of my server, as I do use alot of different account names for my normal emails. What is going on? How can I "trap" all of these bogus email? How can I stop this from occuring. I do not see any outgoing messages to these addresses in my sent folder I have OL 2007 and Mcafee Thanks Probably someone ...

Hiow to get all data in one column ?
I have data in 248 columns in excel, want to come in one comlumn, on below the other. is it possible ? Thanks/... -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You'll need some VB Code for this. If you are mildly confident in VB then I suggest going to the 'programming' excel newsgroup, otherwise it is difficult... >-----Original Message----- >I have data in 248 columns in excel, want to come in one comlumn, one >below the other. is it possible ? > >Thanks/.... > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > Hi, Se...

How to get m_hInst ??
Hi, I am using MFC application and want to get the HINST object... so, how may I get it directly ?? any API ?? ===== Regards, Jigar Mehta Jigar Mehta wrote: > Hi, > > I am using MFC application and want to get the HINST object... so, how > may I get it directly ?? any API ?? > > ===== > Regards, > Jigar Mehta > > Is this what you need? AfxGetApp()->m_hInstance; hInst for what (resources, or program)? Take a look at: AfxGetInstanceHandle() AfxGetResourceHandle() depending on your needs. Tom "Jigar Mehta" <jigar.gemsystems@gmail.co...

Can not send emails from main Inbox
I am not sure if I have set up the outlook properly. I can not send messages from main Inbox, there is not even "send" or "send-receive" buttons on the taskbar. How to clear the settings and start up again? The Inbox is for received mail what version of Outlook and what type of mail account, eg pop mail or? "Joanna Lark" <Joanna Lark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AA47074-CE28-4864-B85E-4D85ED945924@microsoft.com... >I am not sure if I have set up the outlook properly. I can not send >messages > from main Inbox, there is n...

Excel 2007
I'm using Excel 2007 and would like to know how to switch the way the data shows up on the chart. I would like to have the information that is being plotted on the vertical axis on the horizontal axis instead and visa versa. Thanks for any help. Additional information: If I'm in the right area........I've tried formatting the data point, but the "Series Options" Primary and Secondary Axis options are grayed out. "Beach Lover" wrote: > I'm using Excel 2007 and would like to know how to switch the way the data > shows up on the cha...

Not Getting WM_MOUSEHOVER, WM_MOUSELEAVE
I'm trying to write an owner draw button that will support XP themes. I'm figuring out most of what I need to do except to highlight the button when the mouse hovers over it. I implemented the code to detect this as follows: afx_msg HRESULT OnMouseHover(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam); afx_msg HRESULT OnMouseLeave(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam); BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CArrowButton, CButton) //{{AFX_MSG_MAP(CArrowButton) ON_MESSAGE(WM_MOUSEHOVER, OnMouseHover) ON_MESSAGE(WM_MOUSELEAVE, OnMouseLeave) //}}AFX_MSG_MAP END_MESSAGE_MAP() HRESULT CArrowButton::OnMouseHover(WPARAM wPar...

excel hang when switching worksheet

VB Excel Range
I need to compare the values in a cell in one workbook to the same cell in another workbook and store them in the same cell in a new workbook. I wrote the code already to open each workbook, add a new workbook, and format my heading information on the sheets. However, I am struggling with finding an efficient way to make the value of A1 in my new workbook=A1 in workbook1 - A1 in workbook2. With the Range command, is there any way to have the cell know its own address? Or do I have to increment cell by cell, store the address and then insert that information into the formula to perform the s...

EXCEL #2
HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF EXCEL IS INCLUDED IN WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL THAT I'M CONSIDERING PURCHASING? ...

how to get you text to flash in publisher
can anyone help me with this problem as I cannot get my text to flash in publisher, and I know it can be done. Where are you going to buy the paper that will reproduce your flashing text on your printed page? Are you sure you weren't using Powerpoint? MoMo (Maureen) "evelyn" <evelyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:213F442D-FA02-4AFA-92E4-E1010E546E3F@microsoft.com... > can anyone help me with this problem as I cannot get my text to flash in > publisher, and I know it can be done. MoMo, On a web site? "Maureen" <MoMo@nospam.com>...

where to execute main processing?
Hi, here is the situation. I want to pop a small dialog with a Progress control and a static control. This dialogs sole purpose is to execute a lengthy process and show the user the status. At first I thought that I could just add the call to the main processing method at the end of the OnInitDialog(), I soon learned that the dialog does not get drawn until OnInitDialog returns, so that killed that plan. What I need to do is Pop up a dialog, then start a slow process while updating the controls, then when the long process method returns, close the dialog. I have looked through the different...

excel 2003 issue
Hi, In Excel 2003 iam trying to get the data out through the Pivot facility. After that i do arithmethic works using the pivoted cells. during that time in the formula bar it tell me something like "GETPIVOTDATA". Now the issue is if i open the same file in office 2000 then pivot table is seen but the arithmetic programmed fields show as "#VALUE". Please help me to get the data back at my arithmetic fields. regards Yazh The Getpivotdata function is an amazing function but it does not exist in Excel 2000. It has caused me many many many headaches!!!! "yazh"...

How do I get the currently selected mail
I have written a COM addin to add a command bar along with a menu item to MS Outlook. On clicking this menu item I am able to identify the currently selected folder. My approach is as follows: void __stdcall CAddin::OnClickButton(/*IDispa=ADtch*/ Office::_CommandBarButton *Ctrl,VARIANT_BOOL * CancelDefault) { Outlook::MAPIFolder * m_pFolder; CComQIPtr<Office::_CommandBarB=ADutton,&__uuidof(Office::_Comma=ADndBarButt= on)> pCommandBarButton(Ctrl); BSTR fullFolderPath; CComQIPtr <Outlook::_Application> spApp(pApplication); CComPtr<Outlook::_Explorer> spEx...