example:
=G8*($A$14*2)*100
thanx
0
S1 (162)

The $ is used for absolut referencing. For e.g lets take your formula

=G8*($A$14*2)*100

suppose you enter this formula in cell B2, now simply copy this formula one
cell to the right (C2) by and one cell down (B3).

C2:    =H8*($A$14*2)*100
B3:    =G9*($A$14*2)*100

So you see that The original G8 has changed, whereas $A$1 remains the same
in both the new formulae because of the dollar signs.

Mangesh

"S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What does the $ symbol mean in a formula?
>
> example:
> =G8*($A$14*2)*100
> thanx

Putting symbols automatically
I have a spreadsheet I created with a thousands of number codes. Now I need to put "* to the beginning and *" to end of the code. How can I do this? i.e. 123-23 to "*123-23*" Please help. Thank you. Maybe a helper column: ="*" & a1 & "*" And drag down. Ted S wrote: > > I have a spreadsheet I created with a thousands of number codes. Now I need > to put "* to the beginning and *" to end of the code. How can I do this? > > i.e. > 123-23 to "*123-23*" > > Please help. > > Thank yo...

Formula Question #14
Hi, I'm working on a spreadsheet that will keep track of Exacta, trifecta and superfecta bets for a handicapping contest. Let's just start with the exacta. Is it possible to enter data like the following and to come up with a formula to calculate the results? Name Amt Exactas Win Place $1 Pay 4 7 $25.00 Win Place Result John $2 4,5 4,5,6,7 FALSE In this example John bet the 4 and the five to win with the 4,5,6,7 to come in second. I have the 4,5 and 4,5,6,7 all entered in one cell. This would make things much easier if I could make it work. In e5 i tried thi...

Debug symbols
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C4239F.44908270 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I get a lot of messages such as=20 Loaded 'C:\WINNT\system32\ole32.dll', no matching symbolic information = found. Loaded 'C:\WINNT\system32\oleaut32.dll', no matching symbolic = information found. When I run my application in Debug mode. I read that I may need to = update my Debug files & I downloaded ( all 173MB of it) the symbols from = Microsoft and installed into the WINNT\Sym...

Excel date formula #2
I have one cell with a time in it 05:00:00 and I want to subtrct 7 hours from it - (to adjust for Greenwich Mean time)but if the time is less then 07:00:00 I get an error - any help would be appreciated - thanks! Hi try =A1-7/24+(A1<7/24) and format this as time -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Tom" <thumisto@mail.co.washoe.nv.us> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:13c9b01c44410$cca46d70$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have one cell with a time in it 05:00:00 and I want to > subtrct 7 hours from it - (to adjust for Greenwich Mean > time)but if the time is less the...

Protecting Formulas
I have created a worksheet which will be used by other people. There are areas in these sheets that will need to be updated by other and areas that need the formulas protecting. If I lock the area that needs protecting and then protect the worksheet I can not add other lines which is essential for this to work. any comments will be much appreciated. ...

Symbols on the keyboard are not the symbols on the screen....
When I'm in Excel I must be hitting a key combination that creates havoc for me. Everything will be working fine and out of nowhere when I try to choose a symbol using the Shift + any number key....I get some wierd symbol instead of the symbol on the keyboard. In order to stop this I have to close out of Excel completely and come back in and it's fine. Is there Any way I could undo what I did without closing Excel? AND Do you know what I did to cause it to do that? Hi Lisha I had the same problem because I use two different language "French & English"...

Formula to find the working days difference between to dates?
Is there a formula to work out the difference between 2 dates, but only the working days difference. for example. if the 1st date was thursday 1st june, and the 2nd date is monday 5th june, the days difference would be 4, where as i would like the working days difference, which is 2. please help, as it would save a LOT of time. =networkdays(start date,end date,holidays) -- paul remove nospam for email addy! "Mudgeman" wrote: > Is there a formula to work out the difference between 2 dates, but only the > working days difference. for example. if the 1st date was thursd...

copy formula+value
I have this 2 columns. I want to copy this two and paste them to a new row with exact the same formula, value and cellreference. =3D'Z:\F=F6retag\[filename1.xls]Best=E5nd'!$A$4 =3D'Z:\F=F6retag\[filename1.xls]Best=E5nd'!B18 The result: =3D'Z:\F=F6retag\[filename1.xls]Best=E5nd'!$A$4 =3D'Z:\F=F6retag\[filename1.xls]Best=E5nd'!B29 I want the B29 to be B18. I do understand that I could change B18 to $B$18 above but I don't want to do that. In some cases when I copy I want the B18 to be B19,B20,B21,... and this works fine. But how could I make a copy without ...

Saving a document with Symbol Font
I have the following scenario. I create a document and type the following sentence: "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." I then highlight the sentence and change the font to Symbol (Wingdings and Webdings show the same behavior). I then save the document as a .docx file. I close Word. I then reopen the document and the text looks the same as it did when I saved it. I then highlight the text and change the font back to Calibiri, but instead of getting my original sentence, I get a whole long block of  symbols. I can copy and paste this sentence into W...

Symbol font with standard computer symbols
Can anyone recommend a symbol font that contains all of the standard computer symbols like the On/Off symbol (circle with little stick at the top), USB port, LAN symbol, etc? ...

Need help on a formula
I need a formula that will take the following information from cell A3 and populate it in A4. Here is the information in A3 - jones123456 I need a formula in A4 that will take the info in A3 and create an email address that has the last name AND the last 3 digits of the number, plus the domain.... so that the data will read in A4 - jones456@gmail.com. I have the first part of the formula like I want it to populate the last name =IF(A3=0,"",A3). But then I don't know how to get the last 3 digits of the number AND The domain name added to the last name in A4. Here is what I ...

Help with formating % in concatenate formula
Hi, I have created a formula with "concatenate", that includes string and other formulas in it. =CONCATENATE("*Of these, ",VLOOKUP($A$2,Terms.xls!$A$6:$D$23,3)," (",(VLOOKUP($A$2,Terms.xls!$A$6:$D$23,3)/C12)*100,"%)"," have been employed for more than 2 years, compared with ",VLOOKUP("total",Terms.xls!$A$6:$D$23,3)," (",(VLOOKUP("total",Terms.xls!$A$6:$D$23,3)/E12)*100,"%),"," at the department.") The problem is that the % I get gives me for example : 20.7860052364%. How do I format my % so...

How to retrieve the yahoo symbols into excel?
There is a list of stock constituents from yahoo, I would like to retrieve each stock symbol into excel, but I need to manual do it one at a time by copying its link into excel. http://in.finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=%5EAORD Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve the yahoo symbols into excel? Thanks in advance of any suggestions Eric the download data link doesn't help? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0273A971-EBDA-463A-B457-D6E56C5CCCE0@microsoft.com... > There is a list of...

Formula turns into text after entering in the first value.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C61E01.A0698BB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I have an issue. I created an Invoice spreadsheet integrated with VB and using a form. What my project does is Opens an Excel spreadsheet. There is a button that says: New invoice. My macro, clears all input'd data on the sheet, changes the invoice number to the next sequential number (1400, then goes to 1401), saves the worksheet and opens the form attached. The data can be inputted easier from ...

Delete stock symbol or reuse stock symbol
I deleted a stock from my brokerage account and later ried to re-enter but it states that symbol, "FASMX", is already in use. Also I entered a stock with the symbol "CE" and later that day tried to enter more of that stock but it also stated I could not use that symbol because it was already in use. Any Advice? Thanks In microsoft.public.money, Stan wrote: >I deleted a stock from my brokerage account and later ried >to re-enter but it states that symbol, "FASMX", is already >in use. The next time you "delete" a stock, blank the sym...

Adding Formula from VBA
Hello! I want to add a formula to a cell the formula is: =TEXT(A1,"dddd") I have used this code formel = "=TEXT(A" & CStr(NewRow) & ";""dddd"")" Worksheets("Blad2").Cells(NewRow, 2).Formula = formel I get an error on the second line saying: Runtime Error '1004' application-defined or object-defined error NewRow is a valid number, e.g. 36 What is the error? // Anders -- English is not my first, or second, language so anything strange, or insulting, is due to the translation. Please correct me so I may le...

Cell references in formulas
Hi, Here is my problem: I have a spreadsheet that has about 14,000 rows in it, and I need th data from one cell out of every 27th row. For example, I need t collect the values from D17, D44, D71, ... to D13814. I would lik the values to be located in separate worksheet in consecutive cells: B1, B2, B3, B4, etc. Thank you for your help!! Jaso -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: B1: =INDEX(Sheet1!D:D,(ROW()-1)*27+17) Copy down as far as required. In article <iowaturf.1aj2zn@excelforum-nospam.com>, iowaturf <<iowaturf.1aj2zn@excelforum-nospa...

graphic symbol
does someone know where find "product key" symbol? (small b/w symbol of key, used in software labels to specify product key visually). ...

Powerpoint symbols print as different symbols
Hey Guys. A staff member has attempted printing two different symbols on a powerpoint slide. However once printed each of these symbols appears on paper as completely different symbols. She is attempting to get both a tick, and a tick within a checkbox. Upon printing the tick it results in a solid right pointing arrow. The checkbox tick results in an arrow with a clear center. In article <D4F61977-F731-4662-BBB8-F0AAC8051424@microsoft.com>, Zerassar wrote: > Hey Guys. > > A staff member has attempted printing two different symbols on a powerpoint > sli...

insert checkmark symbol
The insert symbol is not available on my excel sheets (program). I would like to enter a checkmark in an excel cell(s). When I import Excel to word and enter them, and then export to Excel, they look great on the screenshot, but do not print correctly> Any ideas? Thanks. You can grab the check mark from the Character Map. You can get to the Character Map from the Start Menu. In my version of Windows, it's in the Programs / Accessories / System Tools folder. HTH, Gary Brown >-----Original Message----- >The insert symbol is not available on my excel sheets (program). I ...

Urgent Formula!
I would like to count the text in a column (COUNTIF (A:A,"Monday")) then for it to add a figure from another cell / column if it meets the text criteria (eg. Monday) from the column Thanks! Hi Peter not really sure of what you're after, but maybe =IF(COUNTIF(A:A,"Monday")>1,COUNTIF(A:A,"Monday")+B1,0) or =COUNTIF(A:A,"Monday")+IF(B1="Monday",10,0) Cheers JulieD "Peter Curtis" <PeterCurtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:662DCE2C-6067-4580-A66F-5E922B4038EC@microsoft.com... >I would like to...

Excel Formulas #8
I am trying to work out a formula where I can refer to a number range in a cell and be given a value for it. eg: if cell A1 is >=840 or <450 display 1, if A1 is >=720 and <=839 display 2, if A1 is >=575 and <=719 display 3, if A1 is <=505 and <=574 display 4 and if A1 is >=450 and <=504 display 5. From what I can tell, not the normal type of formula that people use. I have tried using IF but I get more than 1 value returned in the cell. I have used the & separator on 10 different IF formulas so the formula is valid but get the same issue. If I ha...

Switch to mac means all Office files are Read Only
Can someone please tell me what I can do to resolve the following problem? Last Friday I bought a new 12" Powerbook (O/S 10.3.3) as well as Microsoft Office 2004. I have previously been using a Sony VAIO (PC Notebook) with Microsoft Windows 2000 O/S using Microsoft Office 2000. I read the instructions on the Mac Switch site and copied all my office files and folders to a Switch CD (RW) then inserted the CD into my new Mac. I dragged all the files to the Documents folder in the Mac. Result is all files open but, regardless of whether it is a Word document, an Excel spreadsheet or a Pow...

excell formulas
Can someone tell why this formula returns a negitive =IF((((F6-G6)+(I6-J6))*24)>8,8,((F6-G6)+(I6-J6))*24) The cells f6 g6 i6 j6 are formated for time calculations in a time sheet The time format is 01:00-24:00 hours It returns the correct total except for the fact that the total comes up negative. Thanks Mark "Mark" wrote: > Can someone tell why this formula returns a negitive > =IF((((F6-G6)+(I6-J6))*24)>8,8,((F6-G6)+(I6-J6))*24) It will return a negative value whenever F6-G6+I6-J6 < 0. Without your provided details about the contents of all of...

Need Help with a formula in a query!
I am working in a query. I have a field called DOB and a field called Classroom. I am trying to come > up > with a formula that will calculate the Visiting date that I put in my form. The formula for the form does not work in the query. The Visiting date that will show if a Child's > Classroom = Bumble Bears, the visiting date needs to tell me the date > on his 15 months, when the Child's Classroom = Doodlebugs, the > visiting date needs to tell me the date on his 33 months. > > Can anyone help me. I have such a hard time with IF statements. Your > help is ...