What does =B11*$C$4 mean?

=B11*$C$4

I get the cell value equals cell B11 times��then what's the $ mean,
$C$4? I think it means use the value in cell C4, but what do the $ mean?
0
David

The $ signs make a cell reference Absolute so it does not change as you copy
the formula.

=B11*$C$4 will increment as  =B12*$C$4 as you drag/copy down the column.

The B11 will increment and $C$4 will remain fixed.

See help on absolute and relative cell references.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:52:37 -0800, David Deley <deleyd@gte.net> wrote:

>=B11*$C$4
>
>I get the cell value equals cell B11 times��then what's the $ mean,
>$C$4? I think it means use the value in cell C4, but what do the $ mean?

0
Gord
11/22/2009 8:01:30 PM
Why don't you try to copy te cell down one row or over one row.   You'll see
B11 changing, but $C$4 doesn't change.    It's absolute referencing.
--
HTH,

Barb Reinhardt

"David Deley" wrote:

> =B11*$C$4
>
> I get the cell value equals cell B11 times——then what's the $ mean,
> $C$4? I think it means use the value in cell C4, but what do the $ mean?
> .

add 4 days
Hi I got this formula from one of my old treads, that Bob Phillips sorted for me in 2006 (search - add 4 days). =WORKDAY(A1,IF(OR(WEEKDAY(A1,2)>5,B1>TIME(16,0,0)),5,4)) I cannot seem to get the formula working when the hours are adjusted. If using the first example, returns 21/01/10, but when adjust the time to say 21: 00:00 hrs the date does not change Examples Mon 18/01/10 07:00:00 result should read 21/01/10 Mon 18/01/10 16:51:00 result should read 22/01/10 Sat 23/01/10 any time result should read 28/01/10 Sun 24/01/10 any time result should read...

test #4
test ...

Excel and C/C++
Hi all, For an Excel front-end GUI user interface, what's the best way to interface it with a back-end computational engine using C/C++? I guess there are numerous ways that can handle this -- I am looking for a method that is not too complicated(I am not very experienced in Excel/VBA programming), and most efficient ... Thanks a lot There are a variety of techniques you could use, depending on specifically what you want to accomplish and what version(s) of Excel you need to support. XLL This will work in any version of Excel, but you are limited to writing functions that ret...

How do I add the dash in my zip +4 column in excel 2007?
I have BEEN to www.gmayor.com and I've tried to understand the instructions .... I have numerous years experience in excel (not so much with 2007) and I CANNOT figure this out!! I try to format the column of zip codes ... to special, zip + 4 ... doesn't work. But when I double click each cell and the cursor starts blinking in that cell and I hit <enter>, THEN the dash appears!! How the *&$#$ do I get the damn dash?!?!?!?!? I have 2,000 records to mail merge into mailing labels and I've spent the last 3 HOURS trying to figure this out!! I really need ste...

W-2 C forms
It appears that Great Plains does not handle the new W-2 C format that needs both previously reported and correct information. Is this true and are there plans for supporting this? Do you recommend that they hand-type these forms? ...

Runtime Error
Hi I am getting the following error when I open Outlook: Runtime Error Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Outlook Exe. C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office\OUTLOOK EXE. The program terminates and when I open it again it works fine. It is driving me crazy. Has anyone any ideas? I am running Windows XP with all necessary updates installed. Thank you for your time What addins do you have installed? NNTP for Outlook? If so, contact support at http://www.mapilab.com/support/ - they have a fix available. if you aren't using that addin, do you have any others ones installed? -- Diane ...

opened outlook express and on tools there is no email accountsto c #2
cannot post any email outlook or outlook express? See help, about if unsure. If outlook - do you have accounts configured? If express, it's in the from field of the message form - show it using the view menu or see if http://www.insideoe.com has the information you need. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com...

Unable to Install SSRS Wizard SP 4 (KB971972)
I am able to install and run the SSRS Wizard but I understand from the SSRS Integration FAQ that if I am using SQL 2008 then I need the service pack for the SSRS Wizard. If I install SP4 from the KB971972 link the SSRS Wizard will no longer run. It will ask for the path of the program, once I point it at the exe an error appears sating that the SSRS Wizard has stopped working. I have tried this on a couple machines with the same result. After working with MS on this issue, it turns out there is a bug with the SP4 installer that breaks the shortcut in the Start menu. The work...

Calling C# .NET COM object from MFC/C++ App?
Hi All I need to create a dll or com object that I can initially call from a C++/MFC application, but can later be called by a C#/.NET application. Can anyone tell me if and how you can call a COM object created in C#/.NET from a C++/MFC application I have called COM objects created in C++/MFC by a C++/MFC application using the following code, but that requires a .h file from the COM object that defines the interface and I don't know how to get that from a C#/.NET COM object. Can someone give me point in the right direction please Thanks Phi hr = ::CLSIDFromProgID(L"Display.G...

Deleting records in CRM 4.0
Hi, One of my major issues with CRM is the inability to delete records. We have a development setup and hence now have lots of 'test' data that is clogging up the system and needs to be removed. We have Contract Templates and Contracts that need to be deleted but I am unable to find a way of doing this. I find it unreasonable that once you have saved a Contract Template you can no longer edit it, so if you made a mistake you have to delete it and re-create it, unfortunately if you have applied it to a Contract first and then made that Contract Active before you spotted your mistake yo...

C++ programmers needed
please contact cesar90212@yahoo.com with you resume @ least 4 years experiance NO STUDENTS "Cesar" <cesar90212@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:106201c3825e$19883740$a301280a@phx.gbl... > please contact cesar90212@yahoo.com with you resume > @ least 4 years experiance > NO STUDENTS Try here: http://www.newtechusa.com/PPI/main.asp ...

Error Code 80041A01 Meaning
I'm receiving this error when I attempt to set a pricelevelid during the creation of a product: ErrorCode: 80041A01 A field that is not valid for create was specified. I am certain the correct GUID is being passed in the xml representation of the product. Does this error mean that we are not permited to set price levels during creation? Or is something else wrong? Thanks, Justin Examine the XSD in the SDK for the object you are trying to create. For each field that is invalid for create, check your XML to see if that field is included. If it is remove the field and use an alternat...

What does =B11*$C$4 mean?
=B11*$C$4 I get the cell value equals cell B11 times��then what's the $ mean, $C$4? I think it means use the value in cell C4, but what do the $ mean? The $ signs make a cell reference Absolute so it does not change as you copy the formula. =B11*$C$4 will increment as =B12*$C$4 as you drag/copy down the column. The B11 will increment and $C$4 will remain fixed. See help on absolute and relative cell references. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:52:37 -0800, David Deley <deleyd@gte.net> wrote: >=B11*$C$4 > >I get the cell value eq...

CD in "Inside Visual C++" version 5.0
Hi, all I have been using this book as my MFC reference book for a while. The CD was broken during my relocation from east to Seattle. I only do windows programming casually, and I stick with this book for a long while. The CD is of great value to me. Is there anywhere I can find the CD, download? Thanks, -Lisa You might be able to buy a used copy of the book from someplace like: http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Visual-C%2B%2B-Microsoft-Programming/dp/1556156618/ref=sr_1_97/002-1403900-9296823?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185429875&sr=1-97 For a pretty good deal. Tom "XuWeiP...

Programmer job: C#, ASP.NET, VC++. Westchester
Seasoned, experienced, expert developer with excellent written and oral communication skills needed for on-going development of a new, commercial, statistical research system. Candidate should have serious VC++ database programming experience and recent C# ASP.Net experience. Any MFC, statistics, or WinSock experience is a plus. This full-time position, with paid overtime, is in upper Westchester (with initial interview in Manhattan). Technical interview will be a grilling. After a while on the job, occasional telecommuting might be possible. Work environment is fast-paced with friendly, tale...

Is this possible #4
Is there some built-in Exchange server function that can save email attachments to a network folder on a rule basis? i.e., if the incoming email is: from user@domain.com AND has any attachments AND was sent to a distribution list , then save the attachment to theFile server in a specific folder on the network. Thanks I don't know of any way to do this... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1236A90F-21F6-46FD-A674-C2307FBBE777@microsoft.com... > Is there some built-in Exchange server function that can save email &g...

Error message #4
When I try to open a particular Excel file I get a popup windows heade 'Microsoft Excel -comps.xls:EXCEL.EXE - Application Error' The instruction at "0x3007f74b" referenced memory at "0x0000004e". Th memory could not be read Click on Ok to terminatee the program Click on cancel to debug the program If I click cancel I get a program error stating exel.exe has generate erros and will be closed by windows. An error log is being created. s If I click ok the program exits. If I then retry to open the fie it gives me another error stating th file is locked for edi...

How do I switch from 1,2,3... back to A,B,C... column reference na
I noticed in Excel 2003 both the rows and columns are numbered. As far creating and maintaining Excel formulas, I'd prefer the previous column labeling. Does anyone know how to switch back to the A,B,C labeling once a file has been saved and updated to the latest version of Excel? C, tools, options, general, uncheck R1C1 ref. style -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "C. White" <C. White@discussions.mi...

C# SQLCommand
sqlParameterLastUpdatedDate = new SqlParameter(); sqlParameterLastUpdatedDate.ParameterName = "@lastUpdatedDate"; sqlParameterLastUpdatedDate.SqlDbType = SqlDbType.DateTime; sqlParameterLastUpdatedDate.Value = DateTime.Parse(DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss:fff")); sqlParameterLastUpdatedDate.Direction = ParameterDirection.Input; When I add this to parameter to my command object I get "Cannot conver String to DateTime" ...

Access denied to 'c:\NewWeb\web.config'. when accessing OMA thru b
Pretty much out of the box 2003 exchange 2003 sp2; enabled global oma access and get the following .net error ?? Server Error in '/OMA' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Access denied to 'c:\NewWeb\web.config'. Failed to start monitoring file changes. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Access denied to ...

C# deserialization mixed element and attribute
Hi, I tried to deserialize the following XML file but failed to get the "Status" value back - always gets null value. The XML file: <cXML timestamp="2001-10-31T23:07:22-08:00" payloadID="1004598442900-8367273815197467070@10.10.13.100"> <Response> <Status code="500" text="Bad Response">500 - Bad Response</Status> </Response> </cXML> This is the Class I created to deserialize the above XML: using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.Text; using System.Xml.Serialization; namespace Get...

Excel error #4
I received the following error from excel when i try to launch an excel attachment from lotus notes: GC-PREVUE: gcprevue.exe - application error 0x1c005b2f referenced memory at 0x72612e63. memory cannot be read. Is this an excel problem or lotus notes problem or WinXP problem? Pls help. thks ...

Deletion service in crm 4.0 #2
I see this in application event log " Deletion Service failed to clean up ". We are in CRM4 and i couldn't find crmdeletionservice.exe to figureout what table needs manual cleanup. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Hi Lily, Ronald's post on this issue may help resolve it for you: http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/2006/10/error-deletion-service-failed-to-clean.html HTH. Niths "lily" wrote: > I see this in application event log " Deletion Service failed to clean > up ". We are in CRM4 and i couldn't find crmdeletionservice.exe to > figureou...

C++ without MFC
Hello for all. I'm a begginer in C++ and started to read the "Teach yourself VC6". This book is founded on MFC, but I'm looking too other ways to programing C++ (without MFC but with windows etc). I'm developing a plugin for Photoshop, and the AdobeSDK is a little incompatible with MFC... Where in net can I found good tutorials on net? If someone point out to me any good books I'll be gratefull too. I've made some plugins, but the compiled file is much bigger than I would like. Very thanks. Leonardo Kasperavicius > I'm a begginer in C++ and started to ...