What defines number or text

Hi folks,

I have the following �50...it is defined as a number without me doing
anything.  I have $50 ...it is defined as text without me doing anything.  I
have 10% sometimes (depending on the pc) it is a number and sometimes text,
similarly 10,000.  Now I assume that the �50 is recognised as a number
because of my windows settings...but the rest?  Trying to get the $50
recognised as currency is possible....if I delete the original $50, format
the cell as currency, and then re-enter the 50.  I would love to know what
deifnes the figure as text or number, and how I can move between the two
without having to delete the figures.

Danny

Hi Danny

basically if you enter a number without any formatting Excel will treat it
as a number - if you apply "formatting" (e.g. � or $ or thousand separators
(,) ) then, as you have found, depending on your windows settings excel will
decide how to treat it.  The best advice when entering numbers is that other
than the % enter the number by itself (e.g. 50) and use the formatting
options to give it what it needs.

To switch from text to numbers, one method is to select a blank, unused,
unformatted cell and choose copy then select your "text" and choose edit /
paste special - ADD.

hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"Danny J" <danny.jurmann@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I have the following �50...it is defined as a number without me doing
> anything.  I have $50 ...it is defined as text without me doing anything.
> have 10% sometimes (depending on the pc) it is a number and sometimes
> text,
> similarly 10,000.  Now I assume that the �50 is recognised as a number
> because of my windows settings...but the rest?  Trying to get the $50
> recognised as currency is possible....if I delete the original $50, format
> the cell as currency, and then re-enter the 50.  I would love to know what
> deifnes the figure as text or number, and how I can move between the two
> without having to delete the figures.
>
> Danny

0
JulieD1 (2295)
12/7/2004 1:52:23 AM
Selet one of these cells and look in the formula bar.
If you see *only* a number, you know that the cell is a *true* number.
If you see any currency symbol, the cell is text.

You are correct in assuming that your settings will denote whether or not
the entry is either text or numerical, really depending on *how* you entered
the data.

If you *PRE*format a cell as currency and choose any currency symbol, that
cell will always be a number.

With my US settings, data entered
<Alt>+0036, then 50 ... yields a number - $50
<Alt>+0163, then 50 ... yields a text display - �50

Your settings should return the opposite.

As far as moving between the 2, you could try adjusting the "Style" setting
on you sheet, making the currency symbol on you default toolbar display any
currency sign that you choose.
<Format> <Style>,
And expand the "StyleName" box, and select "currency".
Click on "Modify", and you'll bring up the regular format window, where you
can choose the US $ sign, then <OK> <OK>.

Now, when you enter a number and click on the currency sign on the toolbar,
you should get the US$, which should remain a *true* number.
--

HTH,

RD

"Danny J" <danny.jurmann@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
Hi folks,

I have the following �50...it is defined as a number without me doing
anything.  I have $50 ...it is defined as text without me doing anything.  I
have 10% sometimes (depending on the pc) it is a number and sometimes text,
similarly 10,000.  Now I assume that the �50 is recognised as a number
because of my windows settings...but the rest?  Trying to get the $50
recognised as currency is possible....if I delete the original $50, format
the cell as currency, and then re-enter the 50.  I would love to know what
deifnes the figure as text or number, and how I can move between the two
without having to delete the figures.

Danny

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
12/7/2004 2:26:13 AM
Thanks Folks

"RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> Selet one of these cells and look in the formula bar.
> If you see *only* a number, you know that the cell is a *true* number.
> If you see any currency symbol, the cell is text.
>
> You are correct in assuming that your settings will denote whether or not
> the entry is either text or numerical, really depending on *how* you
entered
> the data.
>
> If you *PRE*format a cell as currency and choose any currency symbol, that
> cell will always be a number.
>
> With my US settings, data entered
> <Alt>+0036, then 50 ... yields a number - $50
> <Alt>+0163, then 50 ... yields a text display - �50
>
> Your settings should return the opposite.
>
> As far as moving between the 2, you could try adjusting the "Style"
setting
> on you sheet, making the currency symbol on you default toolbar display
any
> currency sign that you choose.
> <Format> <Style>,
> And expand the "StyleName" box, and select "currency".
> Click on "Modify", and you'll bring up the regular format window, where
you
> can choose the US $ sign, then <OK> <OK>.
>
> Now, when you enter a number and click on the currency sign on the
toolbar,
> you should get the US$, which should remain a *true* number.
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>

> "Danny J" <danny.jurmann@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I have the following �50...it is defined as a number without me doing
> anything.  I have $50 ...it is defined as text without me doing anything.
> have 10% sometimes (depending on the pc) it is a number and sometimes
text,
> similarly 10,000.  Now I assume that the �50 is recognised as a number
> because of my windows settings...but the rest?  Trying to get the $50
> recognised as currency is possible....if I delete the original $50, format
> the cell as currency, and then re-enter the 50.  I would love to know what
> deifnes the figure as text or number, and how I can move between the two
> without having to delete the figures.
>
> Danny

Page numbers are not recognizing my headings
Hi! I just created an outline using headings so that I could have page numbers that include my chapter number. However, when I try to format my page number to include chapter numbers, it doesn't change how my page numbers appear (ie, it should say 3-1, but instead it just says 1). Any ideas on why this might be? Thanks! See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/UseBuiltInHeadingStyles.html Batraygirl wrote: >Hi! > >I just created an outline using headings so that I could have page numbers >that include my chapter number. However, when I try to for...

email broken up into multiple attached text files on emails with multiple images #2
Hi There, I am encountering a fairly annoying problem with emails I am receivin with Outlook 2003 and that that have been sent from a Macintosh usin the latest version of Apple Mail. The emails have multiple image attachements (all coming though fine although not in line which is how they have been sent) but the text o the email is broken up into text files that are attached. The first section of text in the email (ie before the first image comes through fine, but the text after the first image in in a attachment, then the text after the second image is in another seperate attachment and...

How to not copy the numbering from numbered list in Word ?
Hi ! I want to copy a numbered list in Word and paste to a text file. The numbers show up. How do I not copy the numbers preceding the items ? Thanks very much in advanced. By temporarily disabling the numbers and bullets in word before you copy and paste the text. Then you can simply close the word document (without saving it) so that no changes in the word file are saved. That one time call girl may suggest that you should use Tipex on the screen to remove the numbers!!! You have been warned. hth dingdongdingding wrote: > > Hi ! > I want to co...

adding duplicate text to multiple cells
I have alist of about 700 names that I need to turn into E-mail addresses. For instance I need to add @***.net to each user name. Is there a way to do this without typing it 700 times. =a1&"@***.net " and copy the formula down 700 rows, "beardic" <beardic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D47D872-7BCA-42C3-82EB-46CC5F528024@microsoft.com... >I have alist of about 700 names that I need to turn into E-mail addresses. > For instance I need to add @***.net to each user name. Is there a way to > do > this without typing it 700 time...

How can I capatalize text in a column?
I would like to select a column to incorporate only upper case letters. How do I do this? I would dump the column into Word then do Format - Change Case - UPPERCASE then dump it back into Excel. I do not see this feature in Excel. "dgysr" wrote: > I would like to select a column to incorporate only upper case letters. How > do I do this? will you get your desired results if you use the =UPPER() formula in another column? "dgysr" wrote: > I would like to select a column to incorporate only upper case letters. How > do I do this? ...

Rich Text Hell
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C44325.DCBEF6D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am getting really really sick of MS rich text in outlook. Chasing down = vCards and iCalendar's is incredibly irritating especially when it's the = CEO of the company that's complaining about it (and not nicely either). We do not have an exchange server right now, just a linux pop server and = the outlook clients are 2000 and 2003. Continually people send = iCalendars/appointments back and...

Finding current printer page number
I have hunted for this without success. I want to know - programmatically - what page the active cell is in. More precisely, what page ActiveCell.Top is in. (I take it some sows can split into more than one page.) I want to automate putting manual page breaks into a sheet. I would put breaks at or before those automatically inserted by Excel. Thanks -- Walter Briscoe In message <KBH7nVN7dSuJFwvS@freenetname.co.uk> of Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:17:15 in microsoft.public.excel.newusers, Walter Briscoe <wbriscoe@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes >I have hunted for this without success. >...

file version number?
I have a dialog based dll project. It has the version resource. But after I build the project. I right click mouse and select "properties". The dll file property does not has the version tab. Why? Open the executable in "resource mode" and see if it has the VERSIONINFO resource. joe On 14 Oct 2005 08:13:14 -0700, "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote: >I have a dialog based dll project. It has the version resource. But >after I build the project. I right click mouse and select "properties". >The dll file property does not has the versi...

find and replace text
I want to delete part of the text in several cells. When I use the find and replace tool it deletes all the text in that cell rather than just the one word I want deleted How do I delete just the one word in a cell Or even just replace the one word in a cell? What is the text you want replaced, and what are some examples of the contents the cells you want worked on? Sounds strange that using find/replace will replace anything other than what you ask it to replace.. If you want a function, you can use =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"replace this phrase","with this") "fitz"...

Collections Management
Dynamics GP v9 - Collections Management Users are unable to use "user defined letters" (Word Documents) for mass mailings. They are limited to only using predefined letters, or printing each letter individually for every customer. Error received when users attempt to use a custom letter: -------------------------------------------------- Unhandled script exception: Cannot find report "COL_Reminder_UpcomingDue". EXCEPTION_CLASS_SCRIPT_MISSING SCRIPT_CMD_REPORT -------------------------------------------------- ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microso...

How to save a worksheet into a ";" sperated text file
You could change windows list separator to semicolon and then save as a .csv file. Windows start button settings|control panel|regional settings|number tab List separator: (near the bottom) Remember that this is a windows setting and may affect other programs. Or you could use a macro that Earl Kiosterud wrote. It's at: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ Look for Text Write in the left hand frame. It has a lot of options that you may like. Daphne wrote: -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Application-defined or object-defined error
Hi, I find myself stumped by an incredibly easy piece of code and one that I have used before. I am getting the error: Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error I am getting the error when I run the following code: Private Sub Workbook_Open() With Application .ScreenUpdating = False .DisplayAlerts = False Workbooks.Open "\\depot02\rel\www\internal\business_areas\edg\Metrics\Phones\HighHoldTimesDetailed.xls" Workbooks("HighHoldTimesDetailed.xls").Worksheets("data").Cells.Copy _ Workbooks("phoneholdtime...

runtime error 2465: application-defined or object-defined error
I'm trying to use a button on a main form to change the sort order of a sub- subform.When I execute the following, I get runtime error 2465: application- defined or object-defined error. opting to debug, I find the line with orderbyon highlighted. Anybody see what's wrong? Private sub timesort_click() Forms![control]![worklist]![approved].Form.OrderBy = "Forms![control]! [worklist]![approved]![time]" Forms![control]![worklist]![approved].Form.OrderBy0n = True End Sub -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/a...

change scientific format of numbers
Hello, I'm trying to publish a paper to a scientific journal including graphs generated with Excel XP. When a log scale is used the journal format requires the scientific format of the axis numbers to be like 10^n (10 superscript the exponent number) rather than 1E+n as it is standard in Excel. Is there an easy way to change that format? Thanks, Gigi There is no way to do this with axis number - one of the weakness of Excel for scientific use. I expect you could fake it by using labels. How many graphs do you have? -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail...

random number #3
using betadist and normdist only referencesa value from the distribution how do you create a random variable that comes from these distributions instead of rand which is uniform "agw8@kent.ac.uk" wrote: > using betadist and normdist only referencesa value from the distribution > how do you create a random variable that comes from these distributions > instead of rand which is uniform You need to have installed the Analysis Tool Pack, Tools, Add-Ins Click the Analysis Tool Pack CheckBox. The choose, Tools, Data Analysis, And select the Generate Randon Numbers. To crea...

plain text as attachment?
Starting yesterday, most of the e-mails I receive that are plain text show up with a .txt attachment that is the same as the body of the e-mail. Is this an outlook setting? Nevermind. I just found another post that clears it up. >-----Original Message----- >Starting yesterday, most of the e-mails I receive that are >plain text show up with a .txt attachment that is the same >as the body of the e-mail. > >Is this an outlook setting? >. > >-----Original Message----- >Starting yesterday, most of the e-mails I receive that are >plain text show up with...

Printing Text Boxes with a chart
Hi - sorry if this is a no-brainer but I can't get it to work I make a chart from figures on a worksheet - easy Then I add some text boxes on top of the chart to comment on specific features etc Then I go print and select "selected chart" - the printer prints the chart but not the text boxes on top of it How can I print the chart with the text boxes caontaining comments Thank DR Dave - When you select the chart, do the text boxes vanish? That's because they are not part of the chart. Select the chart first, then add your text box. In fact, just select the chart and star...

how to do self-defined regression in excel?
Hi, I want to do regression ananlysis in excel using a sigmoid function, which is not offered in the general 6 functions in excel(by adding trendline). How can I do it? Thanks. The Analysis ToolPak - VBA addin has a regression function and probably everything else you want. Tools > AddIns then checkmark Analysis ToolPak - VBA Go back to Tools dropdown and it should be listed near the bottotm of the dropdown. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, I want to do regression ananlysis in excel using a >sigmoid function, which is not offered in the general 6 >functions in excel(by a...

Exponential number format

Repeat random numbers from a range and text
I am new at this, I need to create 2 different types of randomness, one of numbers and one of text selections. #1 a range of numbers, i.e, 134-2807 that allows repeat of numbers with a return of only 25 numbers. This random option is use daily so I need to be able to create a worksheet where each day only the range is changed, (without having to key the each number of the range to a separate row line) #2 a range of 5 process types, i.e, data, irsdat, ardat, ispdat, dsldat, where 3 processes are selected daily from the 5 listed which allows repeat of processes. I reviewed the RAND and RANDBE...

Calculating missing numbers
I have a list of numbers from 1 to 1000 in Column A. Some of the numbers are missing; for example they may run 1, 2 3, 7 etc. I need a formula that will calculate the missing numbers and place them in Column B. Many thanks in advance. SiH, In cell B1, enter the formula =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(ROW(),A:A,FALSE)),ROW(),"") and copy down to B2:B1000. Copy all of B, paste special values, and then sort B ascending, and you will have your list. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "SiH23" <SiH23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35797493-1BC3...

BP Inventory Item number
The field length of the item number in business portal is shorter than what is in Microsoft Dynamics GP. Any sales inventory item that is entered into great plains and is longer than the field requirements of Business Portal, you will have problems with. This may be why the system does weird stuff, like not filling in or saving correctly. Make sure you change it in the purchase order, since it will come across as a non-sales inventory item. This is a problem with Requisition Manager. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions wi...

HOW DO I CHANGE FONT IN A TEXT STING
I am trying to print text with inserted fields in a text box. No problem. Now I would like to underline the inserted fields and change the font size for portions of the text. Your help is appreciated. RingedNeckDuck wrote: >I am trying to print text with inserted fields in a text box. No problem. >Now I would like to underline the inserted fields and change the font size >for portions of the text. That is not an available feature of text boxes. Look around www.lebans.com for a couple of different ways to get that effect. One I know of uses separate text boxes for the nor...

how can i auto text in excel
-- how can i auto text in excel Sue I assume you mean that you want AutoComplete. Go to Tools, Options, Edit and select the box at the bottom: Enable AutoComplete for Cell Values. To set up things to replace (for example I have my version replacing my initials with my name), go to Tools, AutoCorrect Options and set things up in there. HTH David "Sue" wrote: > > -- how can i auto text in excel > Sue ...

Missing text in OL2003 email messages.
The e-mail sender, recipient, and subject is viewable but the contents of the message simply don't show up. ...