Weird files

Just noticed I've got a ton of weird files with names like 2BE48300.
The normal files seem to be ok. Any idea what might be producing all
these extra files?

--

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three.

....Alice Kahn
0
teu (4)

Not sure. Perhaps cleaning up your hard drive will help.
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/how_to_clean_up_your_hard_drive.htm

Are they Excel files?

****************************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
****************************
"Steve" <teu@qprc.inv> wrote in message
> Just noticed I've got a ton of weird files with names like 2BE48300.
> The normal files seem to be ok. Any idea what might be producing all
> these extra files?
>

> --
>
> For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of
> life,
> please press three.
>
> ...Alice Kahn

0
ng1 (1444)
3/19/2007 5:12:25 AM
When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension) in the same folder.

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

If you're seeing that funny named file, then something is going wrong.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

--

Dave Peterson
0

If it does, check Avast for updates??????

--

Dave Peterson
0
Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
>When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
>characters--no extension) in the same folder.
>If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
>backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
>rename the funny named file to the original's name.
>If you're seeing that funny named file, then something is going wrong.
>Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
>software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
>problems.

Thanks Dave.  Been using Avast antivirus for years with no problems,
and I'm not on a network, not sure what else it could be....

--

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three.

....Alice Kahn
0
teu (4)
3/19/2007 3:05:38 PM
Nice, Dave. :)
Another lesson for me.
****************************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
****************************
> Try disabling Avast (temporarily) and see if the problem goes away.
>
> If it does, check Avast for updates??????
>
> Steve wrote:
>>
>> Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
>> >When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny
>> >name (8
>> >characters--no extension) in the same folder.
>> >If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to
>> >its
>> >backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl
>> >will
>> >rename the funny named file to the original's name.
>> >If you're seeing that funny named file, then something is going wrong.
>> >Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are
>> >antivirus
>> >software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or
>> >physical
>> >problems.
>>
>> Thanks Dave.  Been using Avast antivirus for years with no problems,
>> and I'm not on a network, not sure what else it could be....
>>
>> --
>>
>> For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality
>> of life,
>> please press three.
>>
>> ...Alice Kahn
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
ng1 (1444)

how do I turn off journal for one file
This seems like an Outlook question. Perhaps you should try posting this question to one of the Outlook groups? This is an Excel group http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general&lang=en&cr=US tj "Sandles" wrote: > ...

opening excel files with links to other data sources
Hello, When i open then first file there is no problem, but when i open the 2nd file with links to other data sources it takes like 10 secs to display the update dialog, but when I try to open the third file it takes like 30 secs and so on!!! so imagine when i want to have 10 files open that has links toother data sources. I found something interesting, if I select options/general/ignore other apps there is a great response opening the files. The files open inmediatly and great!! the problem is that now i can not open files from explorer o folders, i have to open then from the file men...

No File Extensions
Tools > Folder Options > View > Hide extensions for known file types Making sure this box isn't checked doesn't help me. I still can't see my file extensions. My computer's on a domain here at work, but I spoke to my boss (The I.T. Manager and CIO) and he assures me that there's no restriction on the domain controller that might be causing this. Does anyone have any diea why I can' view my file extensions? LoganYoung wrote: > Tools > Folder Options > View > Hide extensions for known file types > > Making sure this box isn'...

PST files #8
I apologise if this is the wrong forum or more likely a very stupid question. When using exchange server 5.5 am I am right in thinking that all outlook information (emails, contacts, calendar entries) is stored in a .pst file on the local machine ? Thanks for any help. No, not by default. The default delivery location for an Exchange mailbox is the Exchange database. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Alex" <alex_whittle@gimlet.co.uk...

How do I change a saved JPEG file?
I am having problems changing furniture, sizes, etc on a saved JPEG file. What am I doing wrong? On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:34:01 -0800, Chad <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am having problems changing furniture, sizes, etc on a saved JPEG file. >What am I doing wrong? Jpeg files are just an image of the drawing you created in Visio. They aren't supposed to be edited. Edit the .vsd file you created in Visio ( I hope you saved in Visio format ). P.S. ( to the power s that be ) All the graphical formats would be best on an 'Export' menu. Save in most peopl...

Weird Opening Document
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 I just received a Word 2003 document as an email attachment. When I opened the attachment, it launched Word 2003 on my system. Although Office 2003 still resides on my system, I am using Office 2007. I have received 2003 Word documents as email attachments before, and when I open the attachment it always launches Word 2007. Any idea what would cause an email attachment to launch Word 2003 this time??? My guess: Because the file extension was .doc and the default file format in Word 2007 is .docx Daddy "BK" <nosp...

Recovering deleted e-mail file
Please know that I have read most of the question/answers on this subject at your site;however, my situation appears to be different: There was a file folder in my "Delete Folder" (yes, the Delete Folder had the "+" sign) that was called "blG" - when I clicked on it, it was empty. Also in my Delete Folder was my business e-mails folder - how it got there, I do not know. I decided to delete the "blG" folder, then I was going to move my business folder back to my Personal Folders - but once I deleted the "blG" folder, my business...

Exporting publisher files
I'm a new MS Publisher user and was recently told it is possible to export from Publisher to a .pdf file for use with Acrobat reader. I don't see this as an option when doing a save as nor can I find an export option in any of the pulldown menus. Am I missing something or was I mis- informed? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0191_01C3C618.73B23740 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable You were seriously misinformed. You need to have the FULL version of Adobe Acrobat installed on y...

excel file saves
I've created a fill and print form in Excel. The form contains a name field that we would like to use as the file name. Basically when we select save as it would go to the name box field and autofill the name on the save line. Example; P:/Work/Equipment/Jim Jones.xls P:/Work/Equipment/Robert Brown.xls You might want to try creating a macro called something like SpecialSave that contains the following code line ThisWorkbook.SaveAs ("a1") where A1 contains the text you want to use as the file name. Needless to say, you will need to use the same cell for the file name, u...

weird symbol instead of comma in address?
I have Office 2007 and I am using the Publisher with the mail merge to populate the addresses in thank-you cards to be mailed out. The only problem is that the comma between the city and state does not look like a comma but a small right triangle without the hypotenuse. What do I need to do for the comma to appear correctly in the address? Are you using a decorative font? I can't duplicate your issue. Is the comma in the city field or are you manually adding it? Personally I don't use the comma any longer. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Susan" <dsnsac...

reading pst file
Is there a small, viewer to read an archived pst file? greg, you wrote on Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:03:58 -0500: > Is there a small, viewer to read an archived pst file? No. X'Posted to: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general -- Best Regards Christian Goeller http://www.outlookfaq.net see if http://pstwalker.narod.ru/ does what you need. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email:...

E-mail stuck in Inbox, file in use, backup fails
I have a reoccuring problem that is driving me nuts. I have Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange set up. A user keeps getting a specific e-mail in her inbox in the mail store that kills the Veritas backup. The e-mail never makes it to the Outlook 2003 client. If you use OWA, the e-mail shows up there but it will not open. The page not found error is HTTP 500 server error. If you look at the log in Veritas, it says 'file in use' and 'access denied'. On the weekend I rebooted the server remotely and then permanently deleted the e-mail. The backup completed succes...

What is a '10 File' or a '7 File'?
Can anybody tell me what a '10 file' or '7 file' format is? This has started recently. It usually happens when I try to save a file to the RTF format. It seems to save OK but the next day, when I try to open the file, I can't find it using a word processor or CopyWriter. I'm searching in "all supported formats". When I look using Windows Explorer, the file is there but the file format is '10 file' or '7 file'. Windows is unable to open this format. What's going on here? Is this fixable? Appreciate your help. Wes -- We...

Slow file access on WHS
My setup is brand new Chenbro ES34069 Case http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=79 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB Internal hard drive - 300 MBps - 7200 rpm Motherboard - Intel® Desktop Board DQ45EK http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DQ45EK/DQ45EK-overview.htm OS - Home server with all latest patches The drives on the home server are setup in a Raid 1 from the motherboard raid software. I have two users connected to this server and when they try to access files it takes about 10 sec for the files to open. These are XP machines. If...

WEIRD FOLDER
I have a weird folder under Local Disk/users/myname called: {bd85e97f-d63c-40fc-8915-0b1859d829e3} Is this folder needed? If not can I delete it? Thanks Paul "PAUL" <pkoukos@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:992BA7CD-6A82-46CD-9876-B7F69E8401D3@microsoft.com... > I have a weird folder under Local Disk/users/myname called: > {bd85e97f-d63c-40fc-8915-0b1859d829e3} > > Is this folder needed? If not can I delete it? > > Thanks > > Paul It's most likely a temp folder used by installing of some program. It should b...

Outlook 2003 Display of .PNG Files
Hi, I have Outlook 2003 SP3, and I regularly receive HTML format emails with embedded .PNG files. However, those files do not display in the message, even though the .GIF files display fine. What can I do so that I can also see the .PNG files? Thanks, -Kim (tried posting this in the 'General' Outlook forum, but no one replied) ...

IE 8.0 'file:///C:Programs%20files%20(x86)//aol%20toolbar/welcome.html: Problem
I have a brand new Toshiba Laptop with Win7.0 64bit and when I try to use the Internet Explorer 8.0 Program I get the following message.. 'file:///C:Programs%20files%20(x86)//aol%20toolbar/welcome.html:' What do I need to do clear this problem... I am a new comkputer user and need pretty good directions.. Thank You Very Much Linda Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice LINQ With Strings http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/03afdcf3-7b60-47db-adb9-db7fe2c6ab8c/linq-with-strings.aspx Linda Uninstall the AOL Toolbar . Better stil...

Big files
Is there a way to handle large Publisher files in order to avoid their becoming unwieldy? I make documents with photos, and the files typically get into the 200 meg range. My computer takes 20 - 30 seconds to save, etc.. I am using photos of an appropriate size range, not overly large. I would break my projects up into smaller sections if I could later merge them together, but I understand that the only way to do that would be to copy and paste the contents of each page individually. Any tips? Thanks Tom What version Publisher? If you are using .eps images you might think about changing...

Converting a Money 2002 Australia file to Money 2006 Deluxe US
I have just purchased Money 2006 Deluxe on my last trip to the US. I installed it successfully but I struggle importing my money.mny file. The only information I found regarding this problem is a KB message from Microsoft telling me to export every individual account from Money 2002 as a qix file. I rather stay with Money 2002 than continuing with the qix export - import procedure for every account. Does anyone have experienced the same problem and have a viable solution that works in less than an hour of time? Sorry no. When upgrading outside a region, QIF export/import is the only...

The saved file opens as an old version of the file
I am having an issue with saving a publisher file and then when I email it to another computer the file opens as an old version of the file. We have tried saving the file as a different file name each time we make adjustments but it still doesn't work. We are both running Publisher 2003 but I am on vista and the other computer is XP. Please help!!! What makes you believe the file is changing versions? The file will save in the version you select when doing the Save operation. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Question about file location
Hello again everyone, I'm developing an application that depends on an external data file. I've created a new folder within the project and then added the data file to it. I called the folder resources. Now, I'm trying to create a StreamReader to use the file. This is the code I'm using: Try Dim reader as New StreamReader("System.AppDomain.CurrentDomain.BaseDirectory() & "resources\datafile.dat", true) Catch ex As Exception MsgBox("Could not open file") End Try Now, you would think that this would work, right (maybe...

Can I import text file of cash flow to excel file then use formula
What I want to achieve is to scan in a cash flow (save to PDF) then copy to an excel spreadsheet and have it recognise the value of the numbers so I can use formulas. The same way you can with word. I have two entitys and I want to add their actual cash flows together to project combined cash folws for future years. Thanks. I think this is going to depend on how your scanner software works. Some will offer a feature to put the results directly into Excel. If your software doesn't, then you could try scanning into a text file or an MSWord file and copy|pasting into excel. ...

Weird Spacing Problem
I have two users that when they type an email in CRM and then click Save, it adds about 15 to 20 line spaces at the top of the document. To test, I used the same Contact, clicked email, then Save and it didn't do it for me. But then I had him go in to that Contact and open the email I had just created and it immediately added 15-20 lines at the top (that he can't get rid of). If he sends the email it leaves the lines and appears like it's a big, blank email. Anyone seen anything like this? I thought at first maybe it was an OL 2003 thing because I'm still on 2000, but I t...

Weird shifting
I have two odd things happening in my document that I don't *think* are related, but who knows...? I'm using Word 2007 and I have a template that I created specifically for this document. It is a very convoluted template based on obsolete military style guides that I have no say in. I have 7 heading levels and each heading level has numbered procedural steps. Each heading level indents one step from the next higher heading, so by the time I get to the highest heading level my left indent is about 3". Crazy, but like I said, I have no say in the format. Anyhoo... w...

Attach Link does not work if file name has changed
I used MS Money Plus Home and Business. I keep scanned copy of Invoices in one folder. I link them to MS Money. After linking the item in MS money to the file, a link icon appears in MS money. When I change the name of the scanned file, the link does not work any longer. There is no way of knowing whether the item (that still has a link icon) has a valid link or not (because the scanned file name changed)? Rajesh Sorry - the question was "Is there a way of knowing whether the item (that still has a link icon) has a valid link or not (because the scanned file name changed)?" ...