want to add all $ in column c where column A is the same

I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy.  I've
figured out how to enter a formula when all the  $ I want
to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do
that when I want to select only the $ values for certain
items listed throughout the spreadsheet.  For example:
I keep a running list of Architects, their projects and $
values of each project as they are assigned.  I want to
automatically calculate the total current $ value for
each Architect without having to sort them in order, or
create a separate table for each architect.  Can I do
that?

Here's what the list looks like:

Architect              Project        Amount

Adams                  123xx         $17,041.00
Baker Smith            01-3310	     $70,000.00
Baker Smith 	       ab33          $46,380.00
Adams                  144cc         $15,000.00
Jones                  233dd         $12,005.00
0
anonymous (74721)

Have you considered Pivot tables?  They would make a meal of this in *literally*
60 seconds:-

Select all data, hit Data / Pivot Table and PivotChart report, hit Next / Next /
Finish.

Drag Architect to the left of the table and Amount to the middle.  Done, and
make that 30 seconds.

If you'd like to see the projects by architect then just drag the Project field
in between Architect and the Values.

Intro:-

Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"Franny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy.  I've
> figured out how to enter a formula when all the  $ I want
> to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do
> that when I want to select only the $ values for certain
> items listed throughout the spreadsheet.  For example:
> I keep a running list of Architects, their projects and $
> values of each project as they are assigned.  I want to
> automatically calculate the total current $ value for
> each Architect without having to sort them in order, or
> create a separate table for each architect.  Can I do
> that?
>
> Here's what the list looks like:
>
> Architect              Project        Amount
>
> Adams                  123xx         $17,041.00
> Baker Smith            01-3310      $70,000.00
> Baker Smith        ab33          $46,380.00
> Adams                  144cc         $15,000.00
> Jones                  233dd         $12,005.00

---

ken.wright (2489)
3/3/2004 11:36:20 PM
Thanks!  Exactly what I needed.  :-)

Excel

-------------------
-------------------

>"Franny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy.  I've
>> figured out how to enter a formula when all the  $ I
want
>> to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do
>> that when I want to select only the $ values for
certain
>> items listed throughout the spreadsheet.  For example:
>> I keep a running list of Architects, their projects
and $
>> values of each project as they are assigned.  I want to
>> automatically calculate the total current $ value for
>> each Architect without having to sort them in order, or
>> create a separate table for each architect.  Can I do
>> that?
>>
>> Here's what the list looks like:
>>
>> Architect              Project        Amount
>>
>> Adams                  123xx         $17,041.00
>> Baker Smith            01-3310      $70,000.00
>> Baker Smith        ab33          $46,380.00
>> Adams                  144cc         $15,000.00
>> Jones                  233dd         $12,005.00
>

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
03/03/2004

>.

0
anonymous (74721)
3/4/2004 7:03:06 PM
My pleasure - the following is a good intro if you feel we have whetted your
appetite for Pivot tables:-

> Thanks!  Exactly what I needed.  :-)

---

ken.wright (2489)

How i can add description tail to cursor when it goes on to a spe.
How i can add a description tail to a cell when i move cursor to that specific cell. For example if i move cursor to cell A2, it should give a description tail "add value from code 1202" thanks Bukhtiar I think you want something similar to the ScreenTip you get when you highlight a button on the toolbar. Excel only offers ScreenTips for hyperlinks only. You will have to make the cell into a hyperlink and then click on ScreenTip in the top-right corner. This works with formulas. It might be better to use a comment. Right click a cell and click "insert comment"....

want questions

Add Replication to All Public Folders at Once
I have ~400 public folders, and we are mirgrating Exchange to a dedicated server. I need to add replication for all those folders to my new server, but I don't want to go through each individual folder and add the replication for the new server. Is there a way I can add the replication for all folders at once? Or is there a way I can script it? If your folders are nested, you only need to configure the top-level folders. Then for each top-level folder, use All Tasks>Propagate Settings to push the settings to the subfolders. You can select which settings to push. -- Teresa Appelgat...

I want more!

entering a # each row adds 1 to the previous cell. Turn off?
When entering numbers in my spreadsheets each row adds another number. i.e., 2004 becomes 2005, then 2006. A telephone # becomes 811-6001, 6002, 6003. How do I turn that off so when I pull the corner down to copy it stays the same? You can right click and pull the corner and when you release the mouse you'll get an option of copy cells or hold down ctrl and pull down with left mouse -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "dbog" <dbog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2C73C1B-4DC0-479F-BC57-8AF77E499991@microsoft.com... > When en...

Text want wrap in text box

How do I add the Norton Anti-Spam toolbar in Outlook 2003?
I deleted the Norton Anti-Spam and Adopbe Acrobat folders from Outlook 2003 e-mail page and don't know how to get it back. ...

Why is .NET 2.0 required to deploy an app using VC2005 C++ Setup project?
I just created a setup project for my mfc app. I noticed that in the prerequisites section the .NET 2.0 is checked by default. My app does not need the framework (at least this is what I think). If I clear the checkbox, build the project, and then try to deploy it on a machine with ..NET 1.1 the installer fails with a message complaining about missing .NET 2.0. I'm not sure if this the installer that needs the framework or my app. Are there any mfc8 dlls dependant on the framework? Thanks Hi, > I just created a setup project for my mfc app. I noticed that in the > p...

Want to Add more Sub description Field

Add 2nd Y axis in XY scatter chart?
Is there any way to add a second Y axis and then plot data associated with this axis in an XY scatter chart? If so, what are the steps? Thanks, Don Culp Hi Don, Add your data to the chart then double click the new data series. On the Axes tab of the format dialog chose Secondary axis. Cheers Andy Don Culp wrote: > Is there any way to add a second Y axis and then plot data associated with > this axis in an XY scatter chart? If so, what are the steps? > > Thanks, > Don Culp > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Add 5 to data in text box!
What would I need for [On Click] in my Control Button that would add 5 to [tbAdditionChargeAmount] each time I clicked it? Thanks for any Help...........Bob Private Sub MyCommandButton_Click() Me!tbAdditionChargeAmount = Me!tbAdditionChargeAmount + 5 End Sub If that doesn't work, try: Private Sub MyCommandButton_Click() Me!tbAdditionChargeAmount = _ Val(Me!tbAdditionChargeAmount) + 5 End Sub -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Bob V" <rjvance@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:OJaareyxHHA.4916@T...

how do I add in a dinamic graph the total as a new series?
I want to add, in a dinamic graphic, a new series: the mean. Is it possible? I need it to compare each series with the mean. Thanks in advance. Regards, Guillermo Fuenzalida The graph won't calculate the mean for you, so you'll need to calculate the mean as a new series in your data sheet, and then include that series as a new series in your graph. -- David Biddulph "Guillermo Fuenzalida" <Guillermo Fuenzalida@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:117FBACB-4DD2-41CC-864B-632666BE5CD5@microsoft.com... >I want to add, in a dinamic graphic, a new ser...

Alternate Rounding Up & Down of .50 in a column
Hello, I haven't had any success in trying to do the following: I have a column of hours - all with .50 (such as 8.50, 7.50, 1.50, etc.) I am trying to program a routine to go down the column cell by cell and alternately round the first cell up to the nearest whole number, round the second cell down to the nearest whole number, round the third one up to the nearest whole number, etc. I appreciate any help with this. Thank you !! Hi Try =IF(MOD(ROW(),2)<>0,ROUNDUP(A1,0),ROUNDDOWN(A1,0)) Depending upon whether the first row you are trying to Roundup is Odd (u...

add ticker symbol money 2003
Set up investment accounts with mutual funds but did not enter ticker symbols when I set them up. I need to go back and add them but can't seem to find that option. Is there an easy way to add them by looking them up or entering them? Which screen? On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:56:10 -0700, "s" <shelbyite@hotmail.com> wrote: >Set up investment accounts with mutual funds but did not >enter ticker symbols when I set them up. I need to go >back and add them but can't seem to find that option. Is >there an easy way to add them by looking them up or >e...

columns misaligned after save
I open a spreadsheet from a network drive, make my required changes, save the document, and exit. When my supervisor opens the spreadsheet, the columns are misaligned i.e. the first few columns have moved down by 3 cells. I only work with rows, entering data into exisitng rows. I do not do any cut-and-paste operations that might normally affect column alignment. Thanks for any help offered. Just some questions... Are you sure you and your supervisor are viewing the same workbook? If you are positive (I'd double check), do you have any macros that run in this workbook? MarkJames...

How to add a brand column in sales report?
I want to see detail on brands column on detail sales report. How can dis be added? It's not exactly pretty, but here's what we did: I used SubDescription1 for brand, then ran a query to append ", SubDescription1" to my Description field. You could also add SubDescription1 to the receipt. You could probably use another query to populate SubDescription1 with the SupplierName, but the two are not always the same. HTH, Tom -- The worst words in business: "We''ve always done it that way" -- Stop Fishing for eMail. "Ramzey" wrote: > I wan...

How can I add a new currency?
I want to add a currency for Fuji. But it is not in the lookup. How can I do? Thanks -- MS CRM consultants at Melbourne Visit my CRM blog at http://melbournecrm.spaces.live.com/ Andrew Liu wrote: > I want to add a currency for Fuji. But it is not in the lookup. How can I do? > > Thanks > > you can't - controlled by the "culture" in .NET On Apr 1, 10:47=A0pm, Pete <p0...@hotmail.nospam> wrote: > Andrew Liu wrote: > > I want to add a currency for Fuji. But it is not in the lookup. How can= I do? > > > Thanks > > you can'...

how do I add 2.5 hours to a column of data
right now I have one column (C) of data with a custom format of h:mm AM/PM I would like to create a D column of column C plus 2.5 hours how do I format this? ....Lisa Lisa, The formula would be =C2+TIMEVALUE("2:30:00") It will probably automatically apply some inappropriate date-time format. Do Format - Cells - Number tab - Time, and select the time format you want. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "Lisa Hetherington" <gerry.lisa@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:es7re7$h0f$1...

Excel wants to create a page break in every cell!
After saving revisions in an Excel worksheet, I get a popup message that states "Margins do not fit page size". After clicking "ok" (because this is my only choice) a page break is automatically created in ever cell. At times(depending on the sizeof the work sheet) it can be over 100 pages with a page size 14% or smaller. Why does this happen, and how can I avoid it? I saw this suggestion in a different forum. Try closing excel. Clean up your windows temp folder Windows start button|Run type: %temp% and hit enter Clean all those files that you ca...

WANTED
WTB: I BUY SOFTWARE - CHECK AROUND - YOU PROBABLY HAVE SOME OF THE BELOW TO SELL TO ME. SEE A LIST OF SOME OF THE SOFTWARE THAT I AM BUYING! I AM BUYING ALL OF THE BELOW. THE MORE QUANTITY THE BETTER! I am looking to buy large quantities of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade Dell DVDs with unactivated COAs included in a SEALED package I am looking to buy quantities of SYMANTEC NORTON ANTI VIRUS, NORTON INTERNET SECURITY AND 360 OEM AND RETAIL BOXES I will buy 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006. If you have good quantities setting around and no longer need send me detai...

Change field type to lookup column
Can you (and if so, how?) change the data type of a populated field to lookup from a table without losing all the previously input data? -- savannah Do not change the field in the table but in your form use a list box. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "savannah" wrote: > Can you (and if so, how?) change the data type of a populated field to lookup > from a table without losing all the previously input data? > -- > savannah Thanks Karl. However, forms are not being used at this time. Data is entered directly on the form. I do understand that this f...

Attachments give errors when trying to Add:
Following error comes up when I try to add attachment, The page you are looking for cannot be displayed because an invalid method (HTTP verb) was used to attempt access. I'm having this same problem... were you able to find a solution? "Vignir" wrote: > Following error comes up when I try to add attachment, > > The page you are looking for cannot be displayed because > an invalid method (HTTP verb) was used to attempt access. > ...

Add a line guide to Excel so that no matter what column you're wo.
When working in Excel I often have to look for a certain cell, then write down the info and then go back to the cell next to it, and it can be very confusing. I often confuse rows especially when working with numbers. Excel should have an option on the view menu to add a guideline like you would use on a document holder. It would shade the entire row you're selecting as you use the up/down arrow to move through rows. While the whole row is shaded, the current cell would be outlined just as it is normally so you know which cell you're actually in. This could also be used with...