Using VLOOKUP to Sum values from multiple columns

I am trying to use VLOOKUP to sum multiple values from different
columns.  I need this because the value is given by name of machine, and
in the column directly right of that the cost is given.  The table looks
like this.
2010               2011
A           B         C         D
M086-1   7000    M105    10000
M105      5000    F120     9200
F120      2500    M086-1  7600
F102      1500    F102      5500

It goes on like this for a list of over 100 machines, and there are
about 10 columns.
So i need to sum the values for each machine over these columns.
Say for instance i want to get the total for M105 over these two years,
i have been using:

=SUMPRODUCT(VLOOKUP("M105",$A$3:$D$6,{2,4},FALSE))

Then hitting ctrl+shift+enter

This gives me an incorrect value though...  One thing i have come across
that works is by using this;

=SUM(VLOOKUP("FG-F102",$C$5:$D$92,{2},FALSE),VLOOKUP("FG-F102",$E$5:$F$92,{2},FALSE),VLOOKUP("FG-F102",$G$5:$H$92,{2},FALSE),VLOOKUP("F102",$A$5:$B$92,{2},FALSE))

I just used a different VLOOKUP for each year, and summed those values.
This is a bit inconvenient though, as i have to change more values to
get a different machine.

ANOTHER problem that i have, is that the machines aren't all listed the
same for every year.

For instance, one year the name may be F120, but another it is FG-F120,
and some years it's not listed at all!

When it's not listed obviously i get a value error because VLOOKUP can
not find the thing i am looking for.

Any help with streamlining this would be greatly appreciated!

--
Askyou

No VLOOKUP()s or arrray formulae are needed:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A3:A6="M105")*(B3:B6))+SUMPRODUCT(--(C3:C6="M105")*(D3:D6))

Sum Product Question #2
Can you use sumproduct when the numbers in a column are derived from a formula? In my formula all of the numbers in the M column are the results of formulas. My formula returns a value error. If instead of using the "M" column I used another column with just numbers (no formulas) it works. =SUMPRODUCT(--(C22:C5000=C11),--(I22:I5000=B12),--(M22:M5000)) Is there a way round this? Thanks The formula will work if the formulas really return numbers. But I bet (and it's a guess) that your formula returns text under some condition: =if(x99=0,"",A99/x99) (or something...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Multiple Worksheet
I'm not sure how to explain this, but here we go. I have a workbook w/ multiple worksheets. The first worksheet is titled ALL. This includes all information from other worksheets. How can I have certain information transfer to other worksheets by recognizing initials? Basically if the "All" worksheet has has an S listed it - can I transfer to worksheet titled Scott w/o the beating of copy and paste? Thanks in advance. -- bonzai18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bonzai18's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=g...

Selecting A single Month From a Table with Multiple Months
The following code is used as the criteria in a selct query for a date field: >=DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date())-1,1) And <=DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date()),0) It has worked fine until the table included records from January 2010, database was created in 2009. Is there a fix or a better way to accomplish the intent? Not sure what your problem is the expressions you have return the first and last day of the prior month. So this is February 3, 2010 and the expression return 1/1/2010 and 1/31/2010. What do you want returned? What is the problem you are ha...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

How to unhide column?
I hid column E, did some other work on the spreadsheet, now cannot unhide column E EXCEL 2007 Clcick on D to highlight that column and, keeping the left mouse button depressed, drag to column F so that both columns are highlighted. Right click / Unhide If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Lois Corp Secy" wrote: > I hid column E, did some other work on the spreadsheet, now cannot unhide > column E Select D and F and right-click>unhide. If that doesn't work mayber E has been set to 0 or very tiny width. In Namebox type ...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Find values of properties of checkbox
How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Any help would be much appreciated! *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Mike P" <mike.parr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OBhh2ds4KHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they > are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Is it a Web or WinForms application? If you did not keep a Reference to the checkboxe...

Using secured OMA

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

Recalc of SUM() that refers to a cell across a range of worksheets
I'm using Excel 2003 w/ SP2 and have encountered a problem I don't recall having before. I have a workbook where a summary sheet is used to aggregate the values in each of the cells in the rest of the sheets by using a formula with following syntax: =sum('sheet1:sheetx'!Cn), where "sheet1" is the name of the first sheet in the range of contiguous sheets, "sheetx" is the name of the last sheet in that range, "C" is the pertinent column letter for a cell (the columns in this workbook represent years) and "n" is the pertinent row numb...

Read value in txt file
Hello to everybody I would like to read a value in a txt file. For example, the value will following the egual sign. So I want to look for language and get "fr" as value. language = fr country = france Thank you by advance and have a nice day. <bcastaing@gmail.com> said this in news item news:389dabc3-ca3b-440b-b55a-a93ca9221025@w16g2000yqw.googlegroups.com... > Hello to everybody > > I would like to read a value in a txt file. For example, the value > will following the egual sign. So I want to look for language and get > "fr"...

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...