Using Excel for Text Only?

I am currently an independent contractor who has been
doing basically word processing and report preparation for
one of my clients using WordPerfect as their standard
format.  These are text-only reports and include no
numerical data, i.e., pretty much just straight "typing"
of narrative.  They have now decided to attempt to do
these reports in Excel, from what I understand merely to
be able to transmit the reports electronically.  I have
never used Excel at all up to this point, I am not
familiar with it in any application, but from what I do
know about it and have read about it, this seems an
inappropriate format for text only, especially when we're
talking about reports that are sometimes hundreds of pages
long.  Do any of you out there currently using this
program see this as practical, and if so, just how well-
versed do you believe I will have to become in Excel in
order to accomplish this?  I don't want to lose my job
merely because I am not yet familiar with Excel, but I
also don't want to have to go through a long learning
curve if what they are talking about only involves
installing the program and learning a few simple steps.
Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thank you.
0
anonymous (74723)

I didn't think it was April 1st yet!

WordPerfect = great word processor
Excel = lousy word processor

Viewable text in an excel cell is 1024 characters altho
each cell could conceivably hold 32K.

Any chance they just want to treat excel like a table of
contents by hyperlink-ing references to the text files?

Yes, it is inappropriate for hundreds of pages of text.

Excel Support Technician
www.canhelpyou.com
-----------
Every member of the CanHelpYou team holds at least a
Microsoft Level 1 Excel certification.  In addition, we
have experts in PowerPoint, Word and other products such
as IIS, SQL Server 2000, network connectivity.

0
anonymous (74723)
2/19/2004 7:49:30 PM
I know many engineers who use XL as a word processor. It's rather
cumbersome, however. I would agree that what you described seems rather
stupid unless the receiver of the "electronic transmission" for some
reason requires an XL workbook format (various branches of the US
Government have been known to do this on occasion).

One major impediment for a report of hundreds of pages, is that each
cell in XL can display/print at most 1024 characters without inserting
manual line feeds. That can make editing a very labor intensive
proposition.

If your client insists, you shouldn't have to learn much about XL,
though if you're generating the reports, formatting may require a lot of
tweaking.

One piece of free advice: If possible, stay as away from merged cells as
you possibly can. They will make your life a living hell in terms of
formatting for display.

In article <134d901c3f71d$2fddc080$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
 "debpeg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am currently an independent contractor who has been
> doing basically word processing and report preparation for
> one of my clients using WordPerfect as their standard
> format.  These are text-only reports and include no
> numerical data, i.e., pretty much just straight "typing"
> of narrative.  They have now decided to attempt to do
> these reports in Excel, from what I understand merely to
> be able to transmit the reports electronically.  I have
> never used Excel at all up to this point, I am not
> familiar with it in any application, but from what I do
> know about it and have read about it, this seems an
> inappropriate format for text only, especially when we're
> talking about reports that are sometimes hundreds of pages
> long.  Do any of you out there currently using this
> program see this as practical, and if so, just how well-
> versed do you believe I will have to become in Excel in
> order to accomplish this?  I don't want to lose my job
> merely because I am not yet familiar with Excel, but I
> also don't want to have to go through a long learning
> curve if what they are talking about only involves
> installing the program and learning a few simple steps.
> Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thank you.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/19/2004 7:50:22 PM
Thank you for your informative response and support in
what I was thinking was a futile endeavor myself.  Your
advice and credentials will go a long way in sustaining my
argument against this.  Much appreciated.

-
>-----------
>Every member of the CanHelpYou team holds at least a
>Microsoft Level 1 Excel certification.  In addition, we
>have experts in PowerPoint, Word and other products such
>as IIS, SQL Server 2000, network connectivity.

0
anonymous (74723)
2/19/2004 8:29:41 PM
Lunacy is a word that springs to mind.  They'd be better off using Wordpad and
sending rtf files across.  Pretty much anyone with a computer is going to be
able to read them, and they are easily transferarble electronically.  If they
have Excel then they likely as not have Word, and this is what they should
really be using for this.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"debpeg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am currently an independent contractor who has been
> doing basically word processing and report preparation for
> one of my clients using WordPerfect as their standard
> format.  These are text-only reports and include no
> numerical data, i.e., pretty much just straight "typing"
> of narrative.  They have now decided to attempt to do
> these reports in Excel, from what I understand merely to
> be able to transmit the reports electronically.  I have
> never used Excel at all up to this point, I am not
> familiar with it in any application, but from what I do
> know about it and have read about it, this seems an
> inappropriate format for text only, especially when we're
> talking about reports that are sometimes hundreds of pages
> long.  Do any of you out there currently using this
> program see this as practical, and if so, just how well-
> versed do you believe I will have to become in Excel in
> order to accomplish this?  I don't want to lose my job
> merely because I am not yet familiar with Excel, but I
> also don't want to have to go through a long learning
> curve if what they are talking about only involves
> installing the program and learning a few simple steps.
> Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thank you.

---

ken.wright (2489)
2/19/2004 8:55:15 PM
"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> unless the receiver of the "electronic transmission" for some
> reason requires an XL workbook format (various branches of the US
> Government have been known to do this on occasion).

Do you have any idea how many calories it takes to not reply spreadsheet related jokes on
this ? I need a beer :-)

Best wishes Harald

0
innocent (844)
2/19/2004 10:22:34 PM
In article <uXlqxYz9DHA.4084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
 "Harald Staff" <innocent@enron.invalid> wrote:

> Do you have any idea how many calories it takes to not reply
> spreadsheet related jokes on this ? I need a beer :-)

But then, Harald, when don't you? (I'm thirsty, too - I'll buy when I
next see you!)
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Excel slow to open a book, but fast empty
Cheers! My Excel 2002 has been working fine, but lately has got a problem: it is very, very slow when opening an xls file by clicking it. It is fast as it should when I open it empty from the start menu. If I create the simplest possible book by just typing something in one cell and saving it, opening it is still slow. Perhaps this format is easier: 0. Excel has been working as it should. 1. Fast when running from start menu, opening an empty book. 2. Slow when clicking an xls file, independent of book complexity. Excel comes up with a transparent main window, but with everything else visi...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Why does Excel lag Word in the simple stuff?
Like choosing the default file location in Office 2007? Like having to alter basic Windows parameters just to change the default type for comments? Little stuff that says a lot about the quality of Microsoft programming and interface design. For several versions Microsoft said it was impossible, personal correspondence, to have combo-boxes in Word forms without writing macros although they were coded into Access. Voila, combo-boxes achieve the impossible in Word 2007. Ya gotta love (or something opposite) those guys . . Either way you get to pay full OS prices for Vista SP3 aka Win 7. ...

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

EXCELL Protection
There needs to be better protection on locked cells. It is possible to alter the formatting of a locked cell by pasting into the cell. Example pasting an entry copied from a % format into a currancy format changes the cell to %. This also follows with coulours etc. Secondly a formula in a locked cell can be corrupted by inadvertantly removing cells that it refers to and then replacing them. Mald Hi have you protected the sheet? (Tools - Protection') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mald wrote: > There needs to be better protection on locked cells. > > It is ...

topographical data maps in excel
I have seen this done, and would like to know how to create topgraphical maps of data sets using excel. I want to take a sample of data ponts and plot the points (easy), than color the plot based upon the values of the points You seem to have been neglected by our community. Yes, it can be done, if I understand your intention correctly. The topography in your approach means, in a sense, the 3D chart. The first two of the three values defininig each point specify the x- and y-coordinates (like on a map); the third value is represented by prescribed colors or shades. You must have you...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

how do you Create flashing Text
I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to flash or blink. How do I do this? Ask this here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&cat=en_US_1845e149-582a-4e62-8d76-f1c90f948f44&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "lukieguy22" <lukieguy22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E40D83D-8E98-40A7-ABE1-94307073C79E@microsoft.com... >I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to > flash ...

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Allow temporarily use of right click