Urgent Problem with Number Column

I am new to EXCEL 2003, and I have this problem, so if you can give me an
answer, please explain in easy English.  I have a column with consecutive
numbers that I use to sort with (1 to 8000).  However, for some reason some
of the numbers have ended up with decimal points, others are facing left, and
still others are aligned to the right.  I want to format the entire column so
the numbers are just that, numbers, so I can sort and resort this column.
How do I do this?
0
Rebecca (144)

Select the column, Format/Cells/Number tag, choose number!
Stefi

"Rebecca" wrote:

> I am new to EXCEL 2003, and I have this problem, so if you can give me an
> answer, please explain in easy English.  I have a column with consecutive
> numbers that I use to sort with (1 to 8000).  However, for some reason some
> of the numbers have ended up with decimal points, others are facing left, and
> still others are aligned to the right.  I want to format the entire column so
> the numbers are just that, numbers, so I can sort and resort this column.
> How do I do this?
0
Stefi (275)
10/12/2005 9:17:07 AM
Click in an empty cell.  Copy.

Select the entire column of interest, then Edit | Paste Special... |
Operation section| select Add.  Click OK.

This will force XL to convert all numbers that it considers as text
into numbers that it considers as numbers.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <1258FC0E-A00C-4A0B-B8ED-AED8B5DE70F8@microsoft.com>,
Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I am new to EXCEL 2003, and I have this problem, so if you can give me an
> answer, please explain in easy English.  I have a column with consecutive
> numbers that I use to sort with (1 to 8000).  However, for some reason some
> of the numbers have ended up with decimal points, others are facing left, and
> still others are aligned to the right.  I want to format the entire column so
> the numbers are just that, numbers, so I can sort and resort this column.
> How do I do this?

Problem using CPropertySheet over CFormView
Hi! I have three views in an MFC SDI application, split using CSplitterWnd. And in one of the views we have some edit controls and gird controls. In the same view, on selection of a menuitem, I create a modeless CPropertySheet with two pages and place it over the edit controls. Now on clicking the property sheet, I am getting the overlapped display of editcontrols in the view. How can I avoid this. Please help. Thanking you in anticipation. Best Regards! Babu PSM Babu wrote: > Hi! > > I have three views in an MFC SDI application, split using > CSplitterWnd. > And in one ...

check number duplication
How does one get Money 2006 to flag duplication of check numbers and why doesn't the program flag such occurences? This is only an occassional problem but I have never found a way to get Money to warn me or to flag such an occurence. The only place I know of where it does that is in the Monthly Report. Which is a bit late! ;-) -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "bergrrt" <bergrrt@discussions.microsof...

Laptop problem
I encountered few times of a problem when I closed the lid but could not get the screen turn on. When I was travelling on a train working with my laptop, I need to close the lid when someone to get off the train. Then I opened the lid but the screen was turn off, the powere was still on. No matter I pressed the space bar, enter key, power button...etc, the screen was still dard. Any idea how do I get the screen back in this situation? Alan T wrote: > I encountered few times of a problem when I closed the lid but > could not get the screen turn on. > > Whe...

Urgent Urgent Urgent Urgent
I am posting this query in continuation to the query posted by Anna (we are colleagues). Our software license is as follows: RMS – Headquarter : a. HQs 5 Store Base Pack RMS Stores Operations : a. 5 Single Store b. 1-3 stations Could you please explain what this 1-3 stations license means? We have a merchandise shop where it is difficult to manage with one POS during the Formula One Race days. We need to have two POS in this shop but the inventory cannot be split into two as this will create a lot of confusion. Is it possible to connect the two POS to a single database so that ...

Address book problems #5
Hello; If I goto the address book, and click the drop down box to goto contacts, I have 2 "Contacts" listed there. If I click the first one, I recieve the following error: "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address could not be opened..." Does anyone know how to resolve this? I am running Windows XP SP1, and Office 2003 SP1. Thank You; Rob First thing I'd do, in Outlook, right click on the contacts icon (on the left) go to the addressbook tab, make sure, "use for default email address, or something li...

adding text to a column of exsisting data
I am trying to add data (same value) to exsisting cells at the beginnning and also the end in one column that has different values in each cell. I want to this so I dont have to do manually Thanks Hi Use a helper column alongside your data: ="This bit first "&A2&" and then this" Fill this down the column. Once you are happy with it, copy the range and then Edit|Paste Special|Values to fix the values in place -- Andy. "Dalerj70" <Dalerj70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D867E270-432E-4E3C-9C38-20649FCB7F4C@microsoft.com... ...

urgent: snap to connectionpoint does not work anymore
Hi, I'm using visio 2000 to draw an UML diagram. After adding several shapes suddenly when trying to add a dependency, binary association, or anything between two classes, the connector does not snap to the connectionpoints of the shapes to connect. I can not add an interface shape to a class neither. When opening another UML diagram (in a different file) it works fine. Thanks for the response. Serge Desmedt. ...

Font Problem
Why does my font change unexpectedly when the email is sent in Outlook 2002? I also have all recent service packs through SP3. I use HTML. I've tried the Mail Format tab options to change the fonts to always use my fonts and set everything to 10pt arial. It still arbitrarily changes its font size for no reason somtimes. Thanks ...

Problem with image links
Hi! I have some leaflets that I'm making with Publisher 2003. My main computer where my work folder is: C:\Documents and Settings\El Bimbo\My Documents\Leaflets This folder is also shared to network. I made my last leaflet with my notebook via network, so path to my leaflet-folder was: Z:\Leaflets I have almost 500 images in my leaflet and I have linked all the images to my work file - simply because it's much faster to work that way. All the images are same folder as my Publisher work file. Now when I open my work file with main computer from C:\Documents and Settings\El Bi...

URGENT
Hi everyone, I have to subtract a custom duration field from the start field to get an important information from my project. When I try do to that like: "[Start]-[Duration4]" the result is a totally confused date. How do I get this date? Best regards, Marco Ferreira Hello Marco, Try the expression ProjDateSub([Start],[Duration4]). Best Regards, Ismet Kocaman MCTS, PMP "Marco" wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I have to subtract a custom duration field from the start field to get > an important information from my project. > When I ...

Copy And Paste problem ?
Hello, Using Excel 2007. Sure it's something I am doing wrong, but can't seem to figure out what. I do a Copy on two selected columns. The dashed outline shows up fine. But when I try to do a Paste to two other blank columns, as soon as I click on them, the dashed outline disappears, and there is (therefore) no Paste option. The column is about 500 rows long. What is really funny is that if I do a Copy of only 5 rows, e.g., it sometimes (but not all the time) will do the Paste. I have everything formatgted as "General" I have Protection in everything un-checked. Any ...

Calculating age problem
Greeting, I am trying to calculate the date different between two date with format ddmmyy to show the age and I am using the following function in unbounded textbox: =DateDiff("yyyy", [Birthdate], Now())+ Int( Format(now(), "mmdd") < Format( [Birthdate], "mmdd") ) When I put the above code in the sources control of the text box , there is a syntax error Can any body help me please? Since we're not there, it might help to know what the error message says ... "there is a syntax error" can cover a lot of issues... (By the way, your expres...

Able to set up the next Remittance number
If using Eft payables it would be nice to be able to set up the Next remittance number similar to the ability to set up the next payment number in Payables setup. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/News...

Click on link problems #2
When I click on a url link in email---a box opens saying "Open Link Browser". And also a browser window. How do I get rid of the smaller link browser? Read your reply on your post of the 17th? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Robin" <robinhood2@juno.com> wrote in message news:atmnk0pgs4m272iunkegt0rvq4ssjqisig@4ax.com... > When I click on a url link in email---a box opens saying "Open Link > Browser". A...

need urgent help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hi i wanted to be able to add or upload images from the form? i have a field called image which is a data type OLE Object, i right click on the field click on the insert object option on the menu an a bitmap image is linked having browsed for it and clicked on the link check box. i want to be able to add images from the form not go to the datasheet view? can you help me please!!!!!!!! also i wanted to have a button assigned to a text box in the form in which you input the image path( where the image is located) and a click of a button the image is displayed in the datatype OLE object f...

Recalculating problem.
I created a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 to track fat, carb, and protein calories from various foods, then add them up. For a while, it would change the total at the bottom of each column automatically. Then it stopped. Each column now has to be recalculateds manually (by re-entering the formula) every time I enter new data. Also, when I copy the formula, the cell window shows the revised formula, but the total at the bottom is the absolute value of the cell I was copying from--in other words, suppose the formula for n36 is =sum(n1:n35) and the total is 235. If I copy it to column p, the f...

URGENT: How to pass callback func as parameter?
Hi, I have some generic (non MFC) class. CSomeClass { SayHello() { return "Hello"; } } I however wish to be able to OVERRIDE this function with a custom function in some other class like CMyMFCApp. This CMyMFCApp class is NOT subclassed from CSomeClass, so overriding that function can not be done the same way as overriding base class functions (simply redeclaring). I am assuming I must set a call back function: CMyMFCApp::Init() { CSomeClass sc; sc.SetCallback(CMyMFCApp::MyCallback); sc.SayHello(); } CMyMFCApp::MyCallBack { return "Wazzup?"; } Now, I unders...

Resource Scheduling has problem???
We are trying to change user's Calendar Resource Scheduling settings in Outlook 2003 and we keep getting this error message: ' This folder cannot be opened because there is a configuration problem on the server. Contact your Microsoft Exchange Server administrator for assistance. ' I am trying to have Calendar automatically process meeting requirements, and see the free/busy information. We have Exchange 2003, Office 2003 and Windows XP. I have rebooted the server. Thanks in advance. ...

Deadlock problem on the 2005 Server
Hello, I have this transaction what I want to execute on the MSSQL Server 2005 database: DELETE ... FROM MyTable WHERE ... INSERT INTO MyTable (SELECT ...) If I send this command to the server as one request, I risk getting deadlock problems. For someone experiencing the same problem as I am, the errors I am getting are - Transaction (Process ID 87) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction. - Transaction (Process ID 87) was deadlocked on lock | communication buffer resources with another proce...

... has encountered a problem and needs to close...
Whenever I try to close Outlook I get the message 'Microsoft Outlook has encontered a problem and needs to close'. I use Outlook 2002 - AppVer: 10.0.6626.0 What is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this crash? -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:d06201c4399c$4329f0c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Whenever I try to close Outlook I get the > message 'Microsoft Outlook has encontered a problem an...

Read Receipt Storage Location?
Hello, I have office XP Microsoft Outlook via Exchange Server. I was working offline in the offline personal folder and I clicked on a message and it asked "sending has asked for read receipt" I clicked Yes. However since I was working offline, obviously read receipt is not yet sent. however as soon as I go online it will go out ? I went to out box to see if the read receipt is stored there, but this is not the case?? I cannot find. Can someone please confirm me the location where the read receipt are stored temporarly until these goes out, next time someone goes online...

Outlook Auto Rule (URGENT)
I want setup rule in mailboxx. - When sending message , all the message will forward to another mailbox - After permently delete it this message. - This message only send to special mailbox. I am not sure setup in exchange sever or outlook itself. It need make sure all rule run on server without user open outlook. Thanks J you would be best to go to the Exchange Newsgroups as you have said you need a server side rule. -- Judy Gleeson Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Outlook www.acorntraining.com.au <111@it.com> wrote in message news:uDDkJA5uGHA.2148@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl.....

Out of office problem
I have a client who created an 'out of office message' that we cannot get rid of. We went so far as to get a new system though we preserved all his old personal files. I did not load any saved .pst files but I exported csv files with names and messages which I uploaded to the new install of MS Office for Students. The 'out of office message' has come back. This is driving me nuts, anyone, please help! Michael The Out of Office feature is only available using Microsoft Exchange server, normally found in business environments. Office Students and Teachers Edition specifically...

Sorting numbers and doing a counta
I have a spread sheet that has repeating numbers, i.e. techtip #'s, i multiple columns. I need to sort these numbers and do a counta on them. Example below: Column A Column B Row 1 1212 4545 Row 2 4545 1212 Row 3 1212 4545 Ideally, I need to have, at the bottom of each column, the sorte techtip #'s and how many are there of each techtip # (counta). Because of the number of techtip #'s, manually sorting and counting i out of the question. Thanks in advance, Jef -- tmi!tmi ------------------------------------------------------------...