Update data in Excel

I have two reports in Access one is and output to and the other is exported.
I am trying to figure out which one to use so my columns (data) will be
updated when the user clicks the automated button. I noticed the export to
excel does not update but the output to does. I have two questions

1. Is there a easy way to update the data based of Access report export?
2. If not I can use the output to but I need to find out how to
automatically align the columns when the new data is entered.

Am I taking the hard way or is there an easier way to export updated reprts
to Excel?

Please help I am a newbe in Excel.
0
TKM (12)

TKM

Go into Access from Excel via Data>Get External Data>New database query...

Once you have set this up, you can take the same menu options and just press
the ! mark and the data will refresh with the up to date data

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two reports in Access one is and output to and the other is
>exported.
> I am trying to figure out which one to use so my columns (data) will be
> updated when the user clicks the automated button. I noticed the export to
> excel does not update but the output to does. I have two questions
>
> 1. Is there a easy way to update the data based of Access report export?
> 2. If not I can use the output to but I need to find out how to
> automatically align the columns when the new data is entered.
>
> Am I taking the hard way or is there an easier way to export updated
> reprts
> to Excel?
>
> Please help I am a newbe in Excel.

I dont get what you are saying. Go into Access from Excel? I went into Excel
and dont see a Get External Data anywhere in the menu. What I am doing is
exporting a report into Excel like this
et SpdSheet = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
            SpdSheet.Workbooks.Open ("M:\documents and
settings\tromil\report#3qry2of2.xls")
               SpdSheet.Visible = True

Then the report opens in Excel. But when the user pushes the button again
she gets the same data with no update. I am trying to find a way to automate
this to update when the user  clicks the button and not keep showing the same
report.

Any suggestions?

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

> TKM
>
> Go into Access from Excel via Data>Get External Data>New database query...
>
> Once you have set this up, you can take the same menu options and just press
> the ! mark and the data will refresh with the up to date data
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
>
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>
> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two reports in Access one is and output to and the other is
> >exported.
> > I am trying to figure out which one to use so my columns (data) will be
> > updated when the user clicks the automated button. I noticed the export to
> > excel does not update but the output to does. I have two questions
> >
> > 1. Is there a easy way to update the data based of Access report export?
> > 2. If not I can use the output to but I need to find out how to
> > automatically align the columns when the new data is entered.
> >
> > Am I taking the hard way or is there an easier way to export updated
> > reprts
> > to Excel?
> >
> > Please help I am a newbe in Excel.

0
TKM (12)
10/19/2006 2:51:02 PM
You have an automation solution in VBA.

I was saying go into Excel (Options: Data>Import External Data>New Database
Query), once you have setup this ODBC connection to an Access Table/Query,
you will be able to take the same option and simple press the ! to refresh
the data.  It may be better to do this in a pivot table in Excel (Data>Pivot
table report or chart), but not knowing what you want the Excel portion to
look like it's difficult to say.  In each case a simple refresh will always
reflect the new data.  You can even set it to refresh automatically on
opening the Excel file.

If it is an Access report, hen this will be derived from an Access
query/table, so you should be able to replicate this in Excel

You can also set up Excel to retain formatting, fill down formulae, as data
gets added taken away, etc

No code needed this way

--

>I dont get what you are saying. Go into Access from Excel? I went into
>Excel
> and dont see a Get External Data anywhere in the menu. What I am doing is
> exporting a report into Excel like this
> et SpdSheet = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
>            SpdSheet.Workbooks.Open ("M:\documents and
> settings\tromil\report#3qry2of2.xls")
>               SpdSheet.Visible = True
>
> Then the report opens in Excel. But when the user pushes the button again
> she gets the same data with no update. I am trying to find a way to
> automate
> this to update when the user  clicks the button and not keep showing the
> same
> report.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> "Nick Hodge" wrote:
>
>> TKM
>>
>> Go into Access from Excel via Data>Get External Data>New database
>> query...
>>
>> Once you have set this up, you can take the same menu options and just
>> press
>> the ! mark and the data will refresh with the up to date data
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>> Nick Hodge
>> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> Southampton, England
>>
>> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
>> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>>
>> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have two reports in Access one is and output to and the other is
>> >exported.
>> > I am trying to figure out which one to use so my columns (data) will be
>> > updated when the user clicks the automated button. I noticed the export
>> > excel does not update but the output to does. I have two questions
>> >
>> > 1. Is there a easy way to update the data based of Access report
>> > export?
>> > 2. If not I can use the output to but I need to find out how to
>> > automatically align the columns when the new data is entered.
>> >
>> > Am I taking the hard way or is there an easier way to export updated
>> > reprts
>> > to Excel?
>> >
>> > Please help I am a newbe in Excel.

OK got it. How would I get it to refresh? Is there a button I can push then
record the macro and put it in my code?b Thanks again for your help!

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

> You have an automation solution in VBA.
>
> I was saying go into Excel (Options: Data>Import External Data>New Database
> Query), once you have setup this ODBC connection to an Access Table/Query,
> you will be able to take the same option and simple press the ! to refresh
> the data.  It may be better to do this in a pivot table in Excel (Data>Pivot
> table report or chart), but not knowing what you want the Excel portion to
> look like it's difficult to say.  In each case a simple refresh will always
> reflect the new data.  You can even set it to refresh automatically on
> opening the Excel file.
>
> If it is an Access report, hen this will be derived from an Access
> query/table, so you should be able to replicate this in Excel
>
> You can also set up Excel to retain formatting, fill down formulae, as data
> gets added taken away, etc
>
> No code needed this way
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
>
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>
> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I dont get what you are saying. Go into Access from Excel? I went into
> >Excel
> > and dont see a Get External Data anywhere in the menu. What I am doing is
> > exporting a report into Excel like this
> > et SpdSheet = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
> >            SpdSheet.Workbooks.Open ("M:\documents and
> > settings\tromil\report#3qry2of2.xls")
> >               SpdSheet.Visible = True
> >
> > Then the report opens in Excel. But when the user pushes the button again
> > she gets the same data with no update. I am trying to find a way to
> > automate
> > this to update when the user  clicks the button and not keep showing the
> > same
> > report.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > "Nick Hodge" wrote:
> >
> >> TKM
> >>
> >> Go into Access from Excel via Data>Get External Data>New database
> >> query...
> >>
> >> Once you have set this up, you can take the same menu options and just
> >> press
> >> the ! mark and the data will refresh with the up to date data
> >>
> >> --
> >> HTH
> >> Nick Hodge
> >> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> Southampton, England
> >>
> >> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
> >> www.nickhodge.co.uk
> >>
> >> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
TKM (12)
10/19/2006 8:51:02 PM
No Code

After you set it up, go back to Data>ExternalData>Refresh (It's the !).
This option isn't there until you set it up

Maybe here will help

http://www.nickhodge.co.uk/gui/datamenu/importexternal.htm

--

> OK got it. How would I get it to refresh? Is there a button I can push
> then
> record the macro and put it in my code?b Thanks again for your help!
>
> "Nick Hodge" wrote:
>
>> You have an automation solution in VBA.
>>
>> I was saying go into Excel (Options: Data>Import External Data>New
>> Database
>> Query), once you have setup this ODBC connection to an Access
>> Table/Query,
>> you will be able to take the same option and simple press the ! to
>> refresh
>> the data.  It may be better to do this in a pivot table in Excel
>> (Data>Pivot
>> table report or chart), but not knowing what you want the Excel portion
>> look like it's difficult to say.  In each case a simple refresh will
>> always
>> reflect the new data.  You can even set it to refresh automatically on
>> opening the Excel file.
>>
>> If it is an Access report, hen this will be derived from an Access
>> query/table, so you should be able to replicate this in Excel
>>
>> You can also set up Excel to retain formatting, fill down formulae, as
>> data
>> gets added taken away, etc
>>
>> No code needed this way
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>> Nick Hodge
>> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> Southampton, England
>>
>> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
>> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>>
>> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I dont get what you are saying. Go into Access from Excel? I went into
>> >Excel
>> > and dont see a Get External Data anywhere in the menu. What I am doing
>> > is
>> > exporting a report into Excel like this
>> > et SpdSheet = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
>> >            SpdSheet.Workbooks.Open ("M:\documents and
>> > settings\tromil\report#3qry2of2.xls")
>> >               SpdSheet.Visible = True
>> >
>> > Then the report opens in Excel. But when the user pushes the button
>> > again
>> > she gets the same data with no update. I am trying to find a way to
>> > automate
>> > this to update when the user  clicks the button and not keep showing
>> > the
>> > same
>> > report.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?

Populate data from one table to another table via form
The tblContractsPrime table captures prime contract data from the frmContractsPrime form. The frmContractsPrime form is completed first. Some prime contracts have subs. The subs data is captured in the frmContractsMBE and frmContractsWBE form and populate tblContractsMBE and tblContractsWBE tables, respectively. The sub form is embedded in the Prime form. The project and project description remain the same for the Prime and subs on each contract. How do I capture the project and project description from tblContractsPrime or frmContractsPrime and populate tblContractsMBE and / or tblCo...

Data-reduction in coloumns???
Hi! I�m looking for a way of data-reduction. I have a lot of data-point but only want to use every 10th point. Is there a way to pic out onl every tenth data-point? Thanks for helping!! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ralv, In the next column, enter 1 through 10 in the first ten cells. Copy those, then paste to match your data. Sort both columns based on the column of 1 to 10. If you don't need to keep all your data, delete all but one number's worth of data, otherwise, copy it somewhere else, then unsort it and delete your column o fextra numbers. You can also ...

Verification/Import of data
Hello, I have two separate worksheets. I would like to use the first worksheet to verify the same data on the second worksheet is correct. For instance, in worksheet one I have a city and a number (in two individual cells) and I would like this same data in the second worksheet (in two individual cells). Is there a way to somehow link (?) or import or (?) the two sheets so when the first worksheet is updated, the second worksheet will also update. I am so very lost.:confused: Thanks for your help! -- Karmen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Kar...

scatterplot of data with gaps
Hi, I'm trying to plot a lot of data with gaps in the columns (empty cells) and would like to be able to plot the series with points omitted if either x or y are zero. It seems that Excel, rather than assume that a blank cell is zero, stops plotting there... Can anyone help me with this? Even assuming zero values would be better... Thanks, Dave Dave - In a scatter chart, if X or Y are zero, there is no point plotted for that data pair. Shouldn't be zero unless you go to Tools menu > Options > Chart tab, and specifically choose to plot empty cells as zero. Of course,...

excel chart/ word doc.
how do I fix an excel chart to fit my word doc. ? Hi, What do you mean by "fix". You can copy and paste an Excel chart directly into Word and then resize as necessary. Cheers, Shane "cookie" wrote: > how do I fix an excel chart to fit my word doc. ? ...

Updating ActivityPointers
As part of a data migration I am attempting to update the regardingobjectid on a number of ActivityPointer records. I tried to do it in a similar way to how I modified some incidents: CrmService.Retrieve(), make modifications to the returned object and then call CrmService.Update() passing to it the ActivityPointer object but I received the following SoapException: Message: Server was unable to process request. InnerText: The method being invoked does not support provided entity type. I cannot find any documentation or examples in the SDK on modifying ActivityPointers. Can anyone steer me in...

Excel 2002 Formula Problem
Hello everyone , I am having a problem with External References for formula. Why does the first Example work and the second formula not ? Example 1: =COUNTIF('[March_2004_ts.xls]Marc 2004'!$AM$26:$AM$200,"Cardiac") Example 2: COUNTIF('[C:\REPORTS\XLS_SHEETS\March_2004_ts.xls]Marc 2004'!$AM$26:$AM$200,"Cardiac") The reason I ask is because I have spent many hours setting up a QTRL Report with Substitution Variables for a macro to use and need to ente the exact path to the Spreadsheets as a Variable. any help on a work around would be appreciated. Than...

Aspect Ratio in Excel Charts
Hi group, do any one know how to control the aspect ratio of the chart drawn in MS-Excel?? I have points of circle but when I select all points and create a XY Scatter chart from them, what I see is ellipse except of circle. I want to see the circle. I appreciate anybody's help in this regard. I have a spreadsheet in which I am trying to have a column for "completed" or "in progress" or "abnormal run". I would like Excel to automatically add a red strikethrough line in all cells that say "completed". Is this possible? Thanks. Wendy Wendy, ...

transfer data in excel between sheets
What I am looking to do is get a function button (or similar) on sheet 1 that can recognise the data put in a column and upon a click of a button transfer data held in a certain cell elsewhere and the date onto sheet 2. If this is not possible, what the whole purpose I am trying to do is on sheet one have a=50 fields per day, where 3 figures are entered per line, 50 lines (ie 150 pieces of data per day) which calculates the average of the 3 numbers per row, and then the average of all these numbers appears in a seperate field on the spreadsheet (this I have already achieved.) Then this...

Excel Challenge (prize
This is an appeal to all Excel users out there. My wife has just lost her job because she didn't satisfactorily complete an Excel task in the allotted time. We've put the actual Excel question up on our website at www.dmhcipr.icom43.net. Please have a look. She is appealing against her dismissal and would be grateful for any constructive comments anyone might have - they just might help her win her job back. Thanks for looking. Post the Excel question here, and someone may be able to help. Her Husband wrote: > This is an appeal to all Excel users out there. My wife has just ...

Excel Help for Immediate Window
I cannot display VBA Help for the Immediate Window using Excel 2003 under XP home. When I open Help and search for Immediate Window I get several topics. The top two, Use the Immediate Window and Immediate Window Keyboard Shortcuts do not display any information. When I click on them the machine just sits there and does nothing. All the other topics bring up a window with the topic information. Do I need to do something other than just click on either of the top two to get information displayed? Thank you. Is the problem a) You need information about how to use the Immediate ...

Change All Data Labels in Excel 2007 Stacked Bar Chart
How do I change all data labels in an Excel 2007 Stacked Bar Chart? I can turn them all on at once to get a #, but I want the series name, set # format to currency, and resize the font text. I may or may not want it to put it on 2 lines. I am fine if I change my default for all to this as long as I know how to change it. It is a pain to change them each 1 at a time. Also, is there a way to size them to fit and/or wrap the text? I can work with VB code if not a setting that you can make. Thanks Excel 2007 Chart Format data labels. With macro. http://www.mediafire.com...

mail merge not picking up state for address labels from excel spr
Excel Chart sent to me for use in mail merge Mail merge not picking up state for address. ...

My new book is available -- "This isn't Excel, it's Magic"
http://www.iil.com/iil_shortdescr.asp?sku=PT248 Congratulations, Bob !!! "Bob Umlas" <Excel_Trickster@msn.com> wrote l... > http://www.iil.com/iil_shortdescr.asp?sku=PT248 > > ...

basic question about updating page
Hi I'm new to access and I can't for the life of me figure out how to call a VB function that calculates and keeps all info on my form up to date. I want to invoke the function when any data on the form changes. None of the form events seem to work?! Cheers, Ciar�n it's hard to give specific suggestions from such vague information, but in general i can tell you that: data isn't stored in a form; it's stored in a table and displayed via a form. if you change data in a control in a form, you can run code from the control's AfterUpdate event. if you're calcula...

Error Message when launching Windows Vista Update
I keep getting code 80000FFF Windows Update encountered an unknown error when I launch Windows VIsta. I think I do not have SP1 which I am trying to get. I tried to download it separately and that didn't work since the only version MS has is for group upgrades and they state not to use the group updater software download BUT I can't get my version of Vista upgraded? ideas??? thanks Juan Bristol, RI What's that error code again? How about 8000FFFF (three zeroes & four F's)? juanm wrote: > I keep getting code 80000FFF Windows Update encount...

Date formatting on a Pivot Chart's Data Table
I have a Pivot Chart that has a text field for series, a date field for category and a number field for data items. In the charting options, I've hidden the legend and shown the data table. When the data table appears in the chart, it shows the dates in the format: "M-d-yyyy hh:mm" I'd like it to show in the format: "MMM-yy" I can't find any options inside the Pivot Chart context menus or toolbar for applying date formatting on the Data Table. I've tried formatting cells in the Pivot Table and it applies them there, but still shows in the format listed ...

Update Office with Service Pack
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Power PC I get the following error message trying to update my office business with SP1 (12.1.0): You can not install Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume. What shall I do? ...

Auto-entering data from another sheet
Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to automatically enter data from one sheet into the next by a text prompt. For example: On sheet 2 I will have 3 static columns that will have data entered in the format: text / text / number respectively. On sheet one I want to be able to enter the text from the first column on sheet two and have excel automatically fill in 2 other cells with the data from cell B and C from sheet 2. For example: Sheet 2 contains hello / how / 123 in row 1 and column A,B,C. I enter: hello (on sheet 1 cell A) and in cell B and C I automatically get...

adding more records to existing data
I have an application where every month, I get a new set of data to add to the old. The new data is on a separate sheet. I want to record a macro that till copy the new data, add it at the bottom of the complete, existing list of data, then sort on one field and put in a total and subtotals. My only problem is getting the new data to be added to the long list of all data. I know I can do this by stitching 2 recorded macros together with some code to tell XL where to put the new data (at the bottom of the old data), but I was wondering if there's any way to put the new data at the bottom of...

Importing text file to excel
I'm trying to import a text file. I want the excel file to have 1/3 as many rows as the text file; each row will have 3 cells with numerical data: case number, variable1, variable2. The text file has only one number on each line. So the format of the text file is: case number variable 1 variable 2 case number variable1 variable2 case number.... (where CR is a carraige return or line break) How can I read this in so first three numbers are in row one, next three in row 2, next three in row 3... Thanks. This might work for you: Import the data into Col A, beginning in C...

Adding Today's Date to an Excel Filename using TransferSpreadsheet
Hello All,I run a weekly query using access and I export the resulting table (Co-Sync) into a folder using TransferSpreadsheet. I would like the table to be named with the date of the export. i.e: Co-Sync-03-15-2007.Is there a way to do this using macros? I'm clueless when it comes to VB but I'll learn if need be.Thank you for your time!Regards-N Use this syntax as the filename for the macro.="[path]\SpreadSeetName-" & Format(Date(),"mm-dd-yyyy")example="C:\My Documents\Co-Sync-" & Format(Date(),"mm-dd-yyyy")...

Can I Save an Excel spread sheet as html text?
Question #1 When I select "Save as Web Page", click "Publish", check the "open published web page in browser" box, then click "Publish" again I encounter the following message: "A World Wide Web browser, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer, is required to use this feature." However, I am only interested in saving as html text, nothing more than that -so maybe I should perform a different procedure? My ultimate goal is just to be able to import html text into Excel (which I already can do), modify the text in Excel and then save the updated tex...

February updates on EPM (WSS+PServer+MSProject)
Hi, February updates Links are available on http://epm2007.wordpress.com You can comment and poll to give feed back on post installation. Regards, Xavier HOVASSE www.ixila.com Hi Sam, If you have sufficient permissions: In ProjProf: File -> Open ... -> Retrieve the list of all projects ... Right click on project name and select Rename. In PWA: Project Center -> mark project in any column except Idicator and Project Name. Click on Edit Project Properties. Change name and click on Save and Publish. Regards Barbara Am 01.03.2010 08:58, schrieb Xavier HOVASSE...

Bringing ni data from OLAP cube, and filternig on it
Hi, I bring in a cube, then i browse the dimension. the dialog for fitlering opens up ('label filters', 'value filters'...) and all the values are checked. I want all of them to be unchecked, by default. anybody knows of any way to do that? Thanks Jonathan ...