Trying to delete info in a cell

I have 1 column of information with over a thousand rows of info. I want to
just delete some info in the cell and keep the rest. Anyone have any idea how
to do this? Here's an example of my info:

AABERG         0.000 83.839  38738
AADLAND        0.000 87.245  58868
AAGAARD        0.000 85.690  48524

I want to delete all the numbers. Ay help woud be greatly appreciated.

0
E2K3Tek (1)

ASAP Utilities, a free Add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com has a built
in feature that will strip out all numerical characters from a string.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"E2K3Tek" wrote:

> I have 1 column of information with over a thousand rows of info. I want to
> just delete some info in the cell and keep the rest. Anyone have any idea how
> to do this? Here's an example of my info:
>
> AABERG         0.000 83.839  38738
> AADLAND        0.000 87.245  58868
> AAGAARD        0.000 85.690  48524
>
> I want to delete all the numbers. Ay help woud be greatly appreciated.

0
CLR (807)
9/11/2006 6:53:02 PM
Try Data>Text to Columns then delete the columns you don't need.

"E2K3Tek" wrote:

> I have 1 column of information with over a thousand rows of info. I want to
> just delete some info in the cell and keep the rest. Anyone have any idea how
> to do this? Here's an example of my info:
>
> AABERG         0.000 83.839  38738
> AADLAND        0.000 87.245  58868
> AAGAARD        0.000 85.690  48524
>
> I want to delete all the numbers. Ay help woud be greatly appreciated.

0
bigwheel926 (227)
9/11/2006 6:55:02 PM
That last suggestion was right on the money! Thanks!!

"bigwheel" wrote:

> Try Data>Text to Columns then delete the columns you don't need.
>
> "E2K3Tek" wrote:
>
> > I have 1 column of information with over a thousand rows of info. I want to
> > just delete some info in the cell and keep the rest. Anyone have any idea how
> > to do this? Here's an example of my info:
> >
> > AABERG         0.000 83.839  38738
> > AADLAND        0.000 87.245  58868
> > AAGAARD        0.000 85.690  48524
> >
> > I want to delete all the numbers. Ay help woud be greatly appreciated.

0
Chris_T1 (1)
9/11/2006 7:19:02 PM
Hello. I am new at excel to but try hitting f2 to edit the cell and do the
standard select functions and delete functions. hit enter and you are done.
I hope that is accurate.
"E2K3Tek" <E2K3Tek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 1 column of information with over a thousand rows of info. I want to
> just delete some info in the cell and keep the rest. Anyone have any idea
> how
> to do this? Here's an example of my info:
>
> AABERG         0.000 83.839  38738
> AADLAND        0.000 87.245  58868
> AAGAARD        0.000 85.690  48524
>
> I want to delete all the numbers. Ay help woud be greatly appreciated.

0
kales2 (9)
9/11/2006 7:22:57 PM
Select the column and Data>Text to Columns>Delimited by>Space>Next.

Select the columns to Skip, which would be all but the letters, and Finish.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:31:01 -0700, E2K3Tek <E2K3Tek@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have 1 column of information with over a thousand rows of info. I want to
>just delete some info in the cell and keep the rest. Anyone have any idea how
>to do this? Here's an example of my info:
>
>AABERG         0.000 83.839  38738
>AADLAND        0.000 87.245  58868
>AAGAARD        0.000 85.690  48524
>
>I want to delete all the numbers. Ay help woud be greatly appreciated.

0
Gord

trying this out
This is a test posting. On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:06:51 +0800, "hmmmm" <bobo123@dotdot.dyndns.org> wrote: >This is a test posting. > Please use microsoft.public.test or microsoft.public.test.here for your testing. This is a working newsgroup. If you have questions about an Access database, please post them. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Text wrap in merged cells
Is there a way to get text to wrap in cells that have been merged. Example: A2:C2 are merged cells to get the width needed. Text is placed in A2 that is greater length than the merged cells. I would like the text to wrap but can not seem to get that to happen if cells have been merged. Hi Chuck If the merged cells are A1:C1 and your text is longer than the merged cells, then try merging cells A1:C2 and also ticking the wrap cells, and the unseen text will apper on row 2. Yours, Mathew "Chuck Dorn" <c.dorn@gwccnet.com> wrote in message news:1df501c3e041$07386ba0$a50128...

Can't delete scraps off to the side
Hi. I was revising a page and dragged some images off my page and onto the scrap area (what do you call the gray space around the document anyway?). These images don't show up when I'm paging through the document, but they do show on print preview and now I see they showed up on my printed copy too! I can't delete or cut them. How do I get rid of them? Thanks. -- Hugs, Erika Open the Graphics Manager (tools) (2002 or 03), are the images listed? Can you select the images? If you can select the images, drag them down to the bottom or top of your publication in the scratch...

I am trying to round up to the nearest 25 cents
I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps rounding to the nearest dollar HELP Try =CEILING(A1, 0.25) In article <2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com>, sypher <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps > rounding to the nearest dollar HELP =ROUND(A1*4,0)/4 -- HTH Bob Phillips "sypher" <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com... > I am trying to round a mone...

Fulfillment type orders
We have orders at the initial status (just entered) and the options to allow delete documents and void documents are enabled on the Sales Order Type. However, we can't get a void or delete button unless we move the fulfillment order through the confirm process to an "Invoice" to get a Delete? What's up with this? Very annoying. Jana, I know it is subtle and wish there was a better way to display it, but the Void option only applies to Invoice type IDs and not Fulfillment Order type IDs ("Void Invoice Documents" vs. "Delete Documents"). Since both t...

Trying to clear up Received but not invoiced report
I am trying to clean up the received not invoiced items. The problem began with entering a purchase order and then not matching the invoice to the items received agaisnt the purchase order. SO we thought that doing a returned transaction entery would solve the problem. The only thing is now the return shows up on our Received/ Not invoiced report. And the report is becoming a huge mess and difficult to use. What is the best way to clear up items that have been received but were not matched and already paid through the invoice entery? There is a knowledgebase article on this very thing av...

send/receive (2nd try)
New computer. Microsoft XP Home. Microsoft Office XP Small Business 2002. Earthlink dial-up account. Two e- mail accounts. After opening Outlook, 1st send/receive (option 3, all accounts) usually prompts for both passwords, downloads messages, all good. Next time, though, no prompt for account 2, error cannot connect to server, account 1 usually gets messages. Every five minute send/receive option eventually degenerates to cannot connect to server errors for both accounts. Meanwhile internet browsing slows to a crawl. Any ideas? ...

how can i delete mulitiple emails at once?
new to this...thank you You can hold down the shift or ctrl key to select multiple items. Once you have the items selected, shift+delete is a permanent delete and pressing delete key moves things to the deleted items folder. "mickey" <mickey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4475BBE-E47D-4652-96DE-87C7360359A3@microsoft.com... > new to this...thank you mickey wrote: > new to this...thank you How do you select multiple files in Windows Explorer? ...

How do I cancel a msg Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully?
How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully due to a huge email message I tried to send with way too many attachments? It's stuck in "send" mode, and as a result, I can't send any emails because Outlook cannot get past trying to send this message. How do I cancel a pending outbox transmission while it's trying to send? I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Please help! Angelczech wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 07:32 > How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send ...

Outlook Express-email being auto deleted-cannot retrieve again
Can anyone help?? Messages in my Inbox, sent, and delete files, are for some unexplained reason disappearing from these files. I don't know where they are going. It does not happen on any noticeable schedule but does occur frequently. Can anyone help?? Thanks This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.micro...

trying to insert a 0 in front of zipcode
Hello, I do not use excel at all so i have no clue! I have a list of daycares that i want to create mailing labels with...about 700 of them but the problem is my zipcode column there needs to be a zero in front of all 700 zipcodes how to i insert a zero in front of them without having to type it into each box? the other question is can i print labels directly from excel or do i have to go thru ms word? thanks Greg One of these 1) format the cells with custom format 00000 2) format the cells with Special / Zip Codes 3) format the cells as Text 4) begin all zip codes with an sin...

Marking or deleting duplicate entries
Using Excel XP SP3 I have 2 separate sheets of data coming from different time periods. Sheet One has 1000 rows of data and Sheet 2 has 1600 rows of data. Sheet One has some of the same data as sheet Two. Sheet Two has some of the same data as sheet One. Both have data that neither have. I copied sheet two on the last row of sheet one, then I did a sort. I got what I needed, plus what I didn't need, duplicate rows of data. Can Excel XP identify these duplicate rows and delete just one of the duplicate rows leaving the other untouched??? Maybe there is a better method then copying an...

Only print the filled cells?
Hi, I am doing an ordering excel "tool" :) , where its possible to orde among tousands of products. I would like to as the user chooses to print the orderinglist, only th filled cells should be printed, and not 100 pages, understand? :cool: The orders are daily and the user threats like about 20 companys at th same time, so if C2 (C1 = "Company 1") is filled and D5 (D1="Company 2 then i would like the produkts on A2 and A5 with those companys printe automatically... I understand you can use autofilter, but then the (dumb) :eek: use would have to do it every time,...

Try or TRY
Hello, Will there be any opitmization or ... when we use INT or TRY macros instead of int or try ? Which one is better to be used? Thanks, JSmith "JSmith" <jsmithmitra@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23G1sOVdoEHA.692@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > > Hello, > > Will there be any opitmization or ... when we use INT or TRY macros instead > of int or try ? Which one is better to be used? http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_exceptions.3a_.converting_from_mfc_exception_macros.asp -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] FYI, TRY ...

error message when trying to delete messages in inbox
I cannot delete messages in my email inbox. When attempting to delete messages, Outlook says "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. I continue to get the message even though I restarted Outlook. My mail works fine, but I just cannot delete anything. Does someone know a solution? Can you delete them if you hold shift as you delete? How many items are in the deleted items folder? Are you using any type of AV scanner on the message store? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coa...

Problem trying to export e-mail messages
When I go into Windows Mail and export my messages, the export completes but then I go and the folders don't match my existing e-mail folders. There are folders showing which I had deleted months ago. Could it be a corrupt file? How can I just transfer the e-mail messages I need to a new PC with Windows 7? Thanks> Windows Mail uses internal mail folder names that may not correspond exactly to the folder name in the user interface. What are you doing with your Windows Mail messages in Windows 7? Windows Mail was not designed to run on Windows 7. --=20 Gary VanderMole...

Using VBA in excel to how to delete temporary files or cookies
Is there any way to delete temporary files or cookies by using vba ocde from excel? Sub marine() Kill "C:\test\sample.doc" End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200819 Hans <H...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there any way to delete temporary files or cookies by using vba ocde from >excel? Sub foo() Shell Environ("Comspec") & " /c del ""%TEMP%""\*.tmp" End Sub ...

"Flase" overwriting value in cell...want to preserve existing valu
Hi all: I have a formula that checks column A for a "Yes" or "No". If "Yes" I want to leave the value (whole number) in Column B intact (this is where I'm having a problem). If column A has a "No" I want to blank out the value in column B. I place the following formula in cell B1 and drag down to apply to all of the B column: =IF(A1="No"," ") The problem is if column A has a "Yes" it does not retain the value in column B, rather it overwrites it with "False". How can I prevent this from happ...

try/catch vs TRY/CATCH
Hi, What is in your opinion the preferred way of doing exception handling for MFC objects (such as the CFile)... the try/catch mechanism or the MFC based TRY/CATCH macros? Thanks Adeel Use try/catch. I don't recall what TRY/CATCH does but, basically, that was provided before VC++ had full support fro try/catch. -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com "Adeel" <dontWantSpam@All> wrote in message news:ORLqQz3fGHA.4568@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > What is in your opinion the preferred way of doing exception handling for ...

Changing Behavior when deleting a message
When deleting a message in Outlook 2002 inbox window, is it possible for the next message selected be the next message in the inbox window? Currently, it defaults back to the first message in the inbox window. Thanks for any help provided in advance. Sincerly Nathan Bloom >When deleting a message in Outlook 2002 inbox window, is >it possible for the next message selected be the next >message in the inbox window? Click "Tools>Options>Preferences" and click "E-mail options". Make sure the "After moving or deleting and open item:" drop-down s...

Trying to finish up a worksheet function (if/or??)
Okay, here are the details and the exact data: A12 thru A17 = Income Source (text, user defined [examples would be Social Security, Pension, etc.]) B12 thru B17 = Amount Received (will be currency in $dddd.cc format) C12 thru C17 = Tax Deductible? (currenty have a drop-down list option, YES or NO) A18 = Subtotal (text) B18 = Subtotal (calculated sum of above columns) C18= [empty] A20 = Choose an Investor (text) B20 = Investor name (from drop down list) C20 = Mark up amount (i.e., 125%, would like it to auto fill from the investor chosen) A22 = Total (text) B22 = Total (calculated su...

How do you merge data from numerous cells into just one cell?
I have a list of around 4 thousand people. Each person belongs to one "Group" which is tagged with a number. Basically there are two columns one showing the name and one with the group tag. What i want to do is have the group tags showing all the people who belong to that group. So I need to merge the data from a number of cells into one cell without losing the data. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. Try: =B3&""&C3&""&D3 I added the "" so a space is included in between cells. You can remove it if you don't need a space. ...

Run Time error when trying to use DMax on a line value
Please can someone help me with run time error I am getting when I try to use a DMax function on a LineID control in a subform. I have a main form frmDeliveries and a subform sfrmDeliveryDetails They are linked on master and child by a DeliveryID control. On the sfrmDeliveryDetails BeforeUpdate I entered : Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer) Me![LineID] = Nz(DMax("[LineID]", "[sfrmDeliveryDetails]"), 0) + 1 End Sub (which I modified from a previous posting) When I try to enter a selection from a Productscombo on the sfrmDeliveriesDetails I get a Run Ti...

Excel
Text pasted into a cell from Word or other software will keep the formats including carriage returns, line numbers, tabs, etc. Can text be typed into a cell with control characters that will force this type of formating? -- mwaller If I understood your question correctly - you might try hitting Alt+Enter in order to go to a new line in the same cell Micky "mwaller" wrote: > Text pasted into a cell from Word or other software will keep the formats > including carriage returns, line numbers, tabs, etc. > Can text be typed into a cell with control charac...