transposing data from one table to another - what's it called?

I am trying to take a few colums of data from one table and transpose it
onto another table.  However I don't just want to copy and paste, I need
the data in the second table to change if the data in the first one
changes.
I don't know what this function is called, and so therefore I am
finding it very difficult to find out how to do it in the help section
of excel.
If anyone can help me with what this is called, and how to do it, I
will be very grateful
Thank you
Rebecca

--
DrummerGirl

There are two answers, depending on what you want to do.  Suppose we start
with data from A1 thru B10 and we want an "image" from Y1 thru Z10.  Select
A1 thru B10 and copy.  Then select Y1 and Edit > PasteSpecial > Link

If we want the data transposed (column-to-row), then in Y1 enter:
=INDIRECT("A"&COLUMNS($A1:A1))
and copy across and in Y2 enter:
=INDIRECT("B"&COLUMNS($A2:A2))
and copy across

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007g

"DrummerGirl" wrote:

> I am trying to take a few colums of data from one table and transpose it
> onto another table.  However I don't just want to copy and paste, I need
> the data in the second table to change if the data in the first one
> changes.
> I don't know what this function is called, and so therefore I am
> finding it very difficult to find out how to do it in the help section
> of excel.
> If anyone can help me with what this is called, and how to do it, I
> will be very grateful
> Thank you
> Rebecca
>

> --
> DrummerGirl

0
GarysStudent (1572)
4/6/2008 12:24:00 PM
DrummerGirl;2709218 Wrote:
> I am trying to take a few colums of data from one table and transpose it
> onto another table.  However I don't just want to copy and paste, I need
> the data in the second table to change if the data in the first one
> changes.
> I don't know what this function is called, and so therefore I am
> finding it very difficult to find out how to do it in the help section
> of excel.
> If anyone can help me with what this is called, and how to do it, I
> will be very grateful
> Thank you
> Rebecca

Thanks very much it worked!!

--
DrummerGirl

"Ignore original message text" not working with Word as editor on one machine?
I know people have run into this, but has anyone found a solution? I've got one machine that refuses to "Ignore original message text" when I use Word as the Editor. If I just go back, and uncheck use Word as the editor, it works fine (so no, reply ticks are not turned on). On another machine, also with Office XP (but with Windows XP versus Win 2000), it works just fine. Has anyone come across a fix? ...

color coordinate data from IF results for charts
I want to show all data bars that are less than zero to be Red in color and all positive data bars be Green in color. All clearly explained by Jon at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ASME Help" <ASME Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD061F01-3E29-485E-ACAB-9DD95DC797FA@microsoft.com... >I want to show all data bars that are less than zero to be Red in color and > all positive data bars be Green in color. ...

spreadsheet with several row, looking to view one at a time while.
I have 193 rows on my spreadsheet, with the top 2 rows frozen to view as I scroll down the list of rows. I would like to bring the rows to meet the frozen information but it is only letting me see every 3rd row instead of each row one at a time. Thanks How are you scrolling? If I scroll with my mouse wheel I get what you describe, but if I scroll with the right scroll bar/arrows I get one row at a time. HTH Otto "Angie" <Angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:214FF948-D453-4945-9E47-756A86717ABD@microsoft.com... >I have 193 rows on my spreadsheet, w...

Folding Bar Tables
Drop Leaf Breakfast Bar With Two Stools Price:$159.99 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B0009I5VO8 Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B0009I5VO8 Lifetime 22673 72-Inch Round Folding Table, White-Granite, 72 Inch Molded Top Price:$290.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B0009OOEUY Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B0009OOEUY PTC Home &amp; Garden Folding Bar Table, Black Price:$151.80 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B0002V2LGS Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B0002V2LGS PTC Home ...

Email received but immediately disappears from one user to one receipient
I have a situation where email from one user within our domain, shows in the Inbox and preview, but immediately disappears. It is not in the Deleted Items or Junk Mail, and no rules are set. Emails from other users, within the domain and from outside, arrive fine. Messages is selected as the View. Others within the domain are receiving messages from the sender fine. I logged on to a different machine as the sender, sent an email, and the recipient received it correctly. This led me to believe that there may be a virus/spyware issue on the senders machine. After running multiple anti-spyw...

Intercept query parameter values from data refresh
Hi, Is there a way to determine the value a user specifies for a query parameter when using the "Refresh Data" command? I have a External data query to an SQL server database that contains a single parameter. I'd like to determine what the user entered for that parameter from within Excel vba code or other means. I'm running Excel XP on Windows XP. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Jim ...

E-mail signature: problem with tables
I have created an e-mail signature using a table to control the layout and formatting. This is fine until I reply or forward a message, as the signature then joins to the message I am trying to forward/reply to. I have gone into Advanced Edit > Table > Table Properties and set the text wrapping to 'None', which seems to work. However, when I make any edits to the signature it resets the table wrapping back to 'around', so that I get the problem repeated. Any ideas? EssexSi <EssexSi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have created an e-mail signature ...

Excel Queries using Access data
Im trying to create a query from within Excel. When I select new database query and select a database which has no securtiy login/password, no problem, works fine. However, when I try to source the data from a database which I have created using user logins/passwords it says that I do not have admin privilages to use the database even though I am putting in the correct login/username in the popup window? Please can anyone help? I've had limited experience with this sort of thing but I've always had to strip out the protection on the Access Database and create a copy before suc...

Transport emails from one isp to new isp
I am considering changing from TimeWarner to AT&T uverse. TW does not limit my email storage capacity. Does uverse? What happens to my emails. Can I move to new Speed. Just ran speedtest.net and got 12.41 mb/s down and .49 mb/s up. Is that good and how does it compare to uverse? TIA -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com A1. Ask ATT A2. If you've already downloaded all messages from your Roadrunner account into Windows Mail, nothing will happen to them. Contact ATT for instrux on setting up your new account in Win...

Table Lookup 12-20-09
I need help with a lookp I need to do. This lookup needs to lookup a table that may contain the same data more than once and then add the values together. E.g. The table might look like this: Table Game Hours PK01 Holdem 8 PK02 Omaha 3 PK03 Draw 11 PK04 Holdem 2 So the formula I need would have to lookup the value which might be holdem and return the value 10 (8 + 2). Is there anyway t do this? Assuming Holden is in Col B and hours in Col C Try =SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B100="Holdem"),(C1:C100)) Change 100 to your last data row number. ...

How many tables .. in Access 2007 .. are there limits ?
Hi, Is there restriction for number of table in Access 2007... what are maximum number of tables can be used..? thanks in advance... Dr. Khalak Check HELP. Search for specifications. You are allowed to have up to 2048 tables open at one time. And 32K objects total in a database. So there are restrictions. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County Ahmed wrote: > Hi, > > Is the...

Converting access tables to XML for use in .NET web app
I need to access tables in an .mdb file and convert them to XML for use in my ..NET 2.0 web application. Can anyone point me to any tutorials or references on how to accomplish this? (Note: I am using VB) Thanks! ...

Help needed arranging data for a pivot table
I have a very large table in excel that I need to create a pivot tabl for, but can't seem to arrange the data correctly. Here's what th table looks like: There are about 20 "type" columns across the top and down the side are dates. For each day each of the columns ha about 20 prices. So a big block of mostly price data is added eac day. Do I have to have all of the prices in one column if I want t view different "types" side by side in a pivot table? If so, I woul have many many times the 65,000 rows that excel allows. This als seems ridiculously redundant. ...

Upgrading Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2002
I have the software to upgrade my Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2002, and am concerned about losing my appointments, contacts, and settings (rules, views). If I upgrade, will Outlook 2002 detect my settings before it "removes the previous version"? I'd really appreciate some help - I'm a little bored waiting for the hurricane so I'm hoping to occupy myself with this... Data is never removed with an upgrade. The connection to your data may well be lost, but can easily be reset if that's the case. You should already be backing up your Outlook regularly. The file...

How do I link data from two different excell files?
I have two excell spreadsheets that need to be matched up and merge a certain field. Is there a statement that wou vlookup HTH, -- Gary Brown gary.DeleteThis2SendMeAnEmail.Brown@kinneson.com "twinclstar" wrote: > I have two excell spreadsheets that need to be matched up and merge a certain > field. Is there a statement that wou ...

Newbie: In a CRichEditCtrl, FindText more than one occurrence?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C36B32.6412DB00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have been looking at three books and making many C++ errors for two = day now for answers to my questions. If I can help it, I save this as my = last resort. Anyway, this is my last resort. I have two questions: 1) I have a CRichEditCtrl class. I can use the FindText function to find = the first occurrence of the substring but I don't know how to find the = second++. (Or the CString or the <st...

Migrate CRM 4.0 instance to another server on a different domain
Hello, What would be the best way to migrate our current CRM database to another server on a different domain but still within the same forest? We initially had intended on implementing our CRM at our off-site datacenter but due to some DNS/Network issues we weren't able to add users across different domains. Our deadline was fast approaching so we setup a server locally. Now that we have the issue resolved at our datacenter, we are ready to move the local database to the datacenter. What is involved with this process and what would be the best way to do this? Thank you very much...

Conditional Data Entry
i work for the British Red Cross, we have a database for Public Events so we need to know who our volunteers are in Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire & Essex and what training courses they have passed, if they pass a set of certain courses then they qualify as Emergency response, if the pass a different set of courses they qualify for Event First Aid and if they passed a different set of courses they qualify as FESS which is Fire & Emergency Support Service. obviously some of the qualifications in each set overlap as is to be expected, anyways what we nee is for the database t...

Redirecting emails to another email account
Hi, Hi Aaron, I wanted to move emails from a specific email address to another email account. One of our users are receiving threatening emails. I want to move the emails from a certian sender to another account (keep as evidence) I have managed to create a rule in Outlook to forward the email from a specific external email account and then permintenly delete the original email. Can this be achieved at server level rather then ceate a rule in Outlook? PL3 There are two kinds of rules; server side and client side. Both are created through Outlook. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/...

Data not saving from bound form when control loses focus
Hello, I noticed this thread: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/9cea14add792f567/47e8c7ca272a99b9?lnk=gst&q=save+data+control+focus#47e8c7ca272a99b9 In this thread it says that if a form is bound (which mine is to a query) when a user moves from control to control it should save when the control loses focus. It currently saves when users close or move from record to record however this is causing problems as sometimes users use a custom toolbar which opens up popup forms to perform other tasks, which dont close or affect the bound f...

Use Excel to make an update query to another database table?
I have a spreadsheet in Excel with information on it that I'd like to update to a database table (outside of Excel). I have been using Excel to pull database information in, and now I'd like to use it to write data to the same table. To this point I've just been copying the data into an Access table and creating an update query. Anyway to get Excel to do this?? Many thanks in advance. ...

toggling removable bit for A Data SDHC? (so XP sees SDHC as a Fixed Drive)
I want to convert my A Data brand 16 GB SDHC (Class 6) to type "fixed" instead of "removable" so I can install & run XP on the SDHC card, or extend the Mini's C:\ drive partition to the card as described here: How to extend system partition (extend c drive) to optimize the performance of your computer? http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-system-partition.htm Does anyone know where to find the utility or any instructions on how to toggle the Removable Media Bit (RMB) for this particular (A Data) SDHC card, so Windows an...

Case statement vs Change/lookup table
Hello All Gurus, This is a problem that I have encountered and was wondering what would be a better approach to the solution I have a view that is pulling data from a table which is fed from an external application. Some of the data due to external situations is wrong/spelled wrong, in the past when this happened I updated another view with a complex set of case statements. This is fast and stable, however, it is for only three instances as they are the only mistakes and they happen always, aka the data is always spelled wrong for these three instances. Now there is a situation wher...

accessing XML data
Hi, I need to import data from XML to Access97 , what is the best way??? Is there any ODBC solution?? Thanx! Domac This was written with Access 2000 in view, but the idea should work. Check out the article at DBJ. http://www.databasejournal.com/features/msaccess/article.php/3310901 -- Danny J. Lesandrini dlesandrini@hotmail.com http://amazecreations.com/datafast "Domac" <dd.cc@cc.cc> wrote ... > Hi, > > I need to import data from XML to Access97 , what is the best way??? > > Is there any ODBC solution?? > > Thanx! > Domac > ...

can you capture info from a cell without retyping in another cell
I'd like to be able to update the salutation in a letter with the person's name in the address without having to retype it. I am using Microsoft Office 2003. See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. jallen449 wrote: > I'd like to be able to update the salutation in a letter with the > person's name in the address without having to retype it. I am using > Microsoft Offi...