Training Senior Volunteers Basic Excel data entry

As the IT Director for a county commissioner, I've been asked to visit our
rural office today to give a "training" to 5 volunteers on data entry using
Excel 2003.
The volunteers have little or no experience using Office or Excel.....

Any suggestions as to the best Microsoft "Help" web link that would be best
suited for educated, senior (65+ yrs old) folks, using Excel for data entry.
The problem with most of the Help links is so much information
overload........

Basically looking for the best KIS (Keep It Simple) Excel, Word and/or
Outlook help link............thanks
0
Tom7430 (437)

I'll start the ball rolling by offering access to a couple of 'tutorials' I
wrote as "introduction to Excel" type documents, you may find them useful in
some fashion.

http://www.jlathamsite.com/LearningPage.htm

On that page there are a few and I'm thinking that there are two .pdf files
and one .xls file you could use.  The first .pdf listed, Excel Fundamentals,
is a very basic introduction and does not have an associated workbook, the
second one, Excel Basics, has a downloadable .xls file to go along with it.
The others could be useful to the class later, but not as an introduction.
The first one (Fundamentals) is built around pre-2007 versions of Excel in
explaining the menu and toolbar - nothing done yet for Excel 2007.

Hope that gets you started.

"tom" wrote:

> As the IT Director for a county commissioner, I've been asked to visit our
> rural office today to give a "training" to 5 volunteers on data entry using
> Excel 2003.
> The volunteers have little or no experience using Office or Excel.....
>
> Any suggestions as to the best Microsoft "Help" web link that would be best
> suited for educated, senior (65+ yrs old) folks, using Excel for data entry.
> The problem with most of the Help links is so much information
> overload........
>
> Basically looking for the best KIS (Keep It Simple) Excel, Word and/or
> Outlook help link............thanks
Hi Tom

Microsoft offer some great free online courses:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/CR061831141033.aspx that they
could do.

Also, I would recommend using Data->Form for data entry for beginners.

Good luck :-)

Lucy
--
MOS Master Instructor
www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au

If this post answered your question please let us know as others may be
interested too

"tom" wrote:

> As the IT Director for a county commissioner, I've been asked to visit our
> rural office today to give a "training" to 5 volunteers on data entry using
> Excel 2003.
> The volunteers have little or no experience using Office or Excel.....
>
> Any suggestions as to the best Microsoft "Help" web link that would be best
> suited for educated, senior (65+ yrs old) folks, using Excel for data entry.
> The problem with most of the Help links is so much information
> overload........
>
> Basically looking for the best KIS (Keep It Simple) Excel, Word and/or
> Outlook help link............thanks

Move Autocomplete entries
I have setup a new laptop for my CEO. His only complaint was that his autocomplete has to repopulate. Is there anyway to copy over his autocomplete entries? Thanks in advance, Mike Busch Copy his NK2 file to the same directory in the new installation. Be sure it is named to match his new Outlook Profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mike Busch" <mbusch@remove.wisor.com> wrote in message news:28ff601c464f9$4e07e0f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have setup a new laptop for my CEO. His only complaint > was that his autocomplete has to repopulate. Is there > anyway t...

opening Excel from Internet Explorer
When I click on a .xls file link in Internet Explorer, it views the file in the browser. Is there a way to make the Excel link open up the file in Excel rather than the browser? Thanks... How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=162059 Jeff wrote: > > When I click on a .xls file link in Internet Explorer, it views the file in the browser. Is there a > way to make the Excel link open up the file in Excel rather than the browser? Thanks... -- Dave Peterson ...

Technical Administrator Training
Anyone have any recommendations and/or suggestions for technical administrator training? We are looking to beef-up support skills on the "server side" of project server such as troubleshooting, app maintenance/configuration, back-up, restore, data migration, etc. Please have a look at www.projectservertraining.com -- Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com FAQs and Reference http://www.projectserverexperts.com BLOG: http://projectserverhelp.com "Rick F." <RickF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

restricted access in Excel 2000?
How do you create content in Excel 2000 with restricted access? ...

Copy rows of data to another worksheet where ReturnDate is blank
I'm sure this is do-able within Excel but what formula I should use to accomplish it escapes me. Basically, I'm working with a spreadsheet which lists books checked out from our Resource Center. When the books are returned, the Return Date is entered in column D. I want to run a report showing everyone who has outstanding books without having to go through the spreadsheet, row-by-row, to copy the data to the worksheet "Outstanding." Thanks for your help! Try AutoFilter - Select Row 1, go to Data, Filter, AutoFilter. An arrow will appear at each cell in that row....

Dexterity Training #2
Hi all, I want to know if there's any Dexterity development training for GP 9.0 available in Mexico or USA. Thanks Yes! Contact Integrated Business Group in Orlando, Florida. They have a wonderful Dex trainer. I am not sure of the class schedule. Their web is http://www.IBGNET.com and the phone is 407-677-0370. Ask for Roxanne and tell her I said call. Richard L. Whaley "Plecuss" wrote: > Hi all, > > I want to know if there's any Dexterity development training for GP 9.0 > available in Mexico or USA. > > Thanks ...

pivot charts in excel changing layout
I have been putting together some pivot table charts in excel (for m brother who has excel2000, I have excel2003 - both versions show th same problem). the charts default to a bar chart. I have set up a custom chart which has 1 bar and 1 line - i have als set it to default. However, every time the chart is updated or change - ot changes back t the barchart only. so say we have 5 periods of data and on the chart we look at period 1 with a bar/line combo with clear background graph, when we change t period 2 on the pivot the chart changes to just a barchart with a gra background. how can i s...

prior period entry to g/l two years back
Does anyone know how or if it's possible to post a prior period entry to a closed year that is two years back? Fiscal 2004 is still open and I know how to post a prior period entry to 2003 which is closed, but I get an error message when trying to post to 2002 that I can't post anything to a closed period older than one year and one day beyond the most recent closed period. I see there is a prior period adjustment option, but this looks like just a notational entry which prints out in financial statements and doesn't impact the g/l. To the best of my knowledge you cannot p...

SQL Server Training
We at www.sqlServer-Training.com, are trying to educate people on Microsoft SQL Server. We are providing daily tutorials, news and articles via our Blog. In case you are interested in exploring this new Database Administration skill set, please subscribe to our newsletters at http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=Sqlserver-training We are also offering SQL Server 2005, 2008 DBA training in online mode, where you can join us for web conferences. Certifactions Training ========================= MCITP - SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance MCITP - SQL Server 20...

Extracting data from Outlook.
Here's what I would like to do, not sure if it is possible or not. There are many emails coming into Outlook regarding status from different servers, I want to extract the data, and dump it into a Excel Spreadsheet, is this possible? If so how. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Are the status messages all in the inbox or some other specific Outlook folder? Is there something in the subject line to differentiate status messages from other mail? Do...

unprotect (in Excel 2007) workbook created and protected in Excel
When I open (in Excel 2007) a workbook created and protected in Excel 2003, I cannot unprotect it. When I go to the Review tab, the Changes block of the ribbon shows an icon to "Protect Workbook" (as though the workbook were not protected) rather than one to "Unprotect Workbook". I have not been able to find anything in Help to suggest another approach/method. The workbook was protected in Excel 2003 using both the Structure and Windows options. Hi DonJ The label of the button will not change if the workbook is protected Click on the arrow on the button and choose...

Pasting excel sheets with charts
I am trying to paste an excel sheet that contains 5 charts, into another excel workbook to send to another user. I am not including the data sources, just the charts. When I open it, the formats have changed. I am breaking the links, because the other users do not have the data. I just want them to have the charts in the same format I see them. Any ideas? One way to do it would be to copy each chart as a picture select the chart (hold down the shift key)<Edit> <Copy as picture> Paste each of the pictures into a empty workbook and send this workbook one of the advantages o...

When data look exactly the same but...
Hi all, What's the cause of incidents when data in two cells, looking exactly the same, are not recognised by Excel as the same? It happens quite often when: - vlookup function doesn't return any value even though the lookup_value exist and looking exactly the same in lookup table; - the same data appears multiple times when you do advanced filtering and check "unique records only" checkbox; etc. etc. I've looked at usual suspects, like numbers entered as text?, space at the end of the record?, so on so forth, but, believe it or not, sometimes, these ...

How do I mailmerge ALL addresses from Excel to Publisher?
I am publishing a 36 page address directory in landscape mode, with a text box on each page divided into two columns. I have tried exporting my Excel spreadsheet into this directory using mail merge and get the first address on the first page, then the second address on the second page, etc. I want to list 8 addresses per column (16 addresses per page). What is the code I have to use to get the addresses to list sequentially????? When I go to print or print preview, because it is a "brochure" I don't have the option to print Multiple pages. Help!!! Have you l...

SQLXML and Excel
Great day! I'm wondering if it's possible to use SQLXML classes (such as SqlXmlCommand) in VBA in Excel. If yes then which add-in should I add to the VBAProject references? Thank you. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Anybody had problems with Excel and large data sheets
Hi, i am working with excel and have worksheets with about 14000 rows however it shas become increasingly unstable when applying subtotals or running macros (which inspect every row sequentialy) often crashing completely. Has anybody had similar problems, i am using a 2.4ghz pc with 500mb ram, is it something a hardware upgrade could solve?? Regards, Alan Aylett i am using 2.4 GHz with 1 GB ram, and i am having similar problems wit about 5000 rows of data. you should be happy at 14000 :-).. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maybe it's the workbook and not excel itself...

web page showing in excel?
In excel is it possible to view a webpage. I.e. if I have a sheet, can I have a cell or an object that will automatically have a web part showing? Hi, Try highlighting the portion of the web page and copying it, move to Excel and paste. Hyperlinks and pictures come along. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Steve" wrote: > In excel is it possible to view a webpage. I.e. if I have a sheet, can > I have a cell or an object that will automatically have a web part > showing? > ...

Zipping Excel files
If I zip up an Excel file of 7,115,716 bytes, the resulting zip file is 1,206,499 bytes, a reduction of 83%. If I do the same with an Excel file of 25,063,936 bytes, the zip file is 23,762,662, a reduction of only 5%. Does anyone know why this is? Hi could be anything: - embedded objects - wrong used range in the first sheet - number of filles cells/formulas So very difficult to give you a specific answer without knowing more about your two files -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Brian" <bxxcfilm@nildram.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uY6AEqrhEHA.4092@TK2M...

convert quattro pro files to excel 2003
have found some advice on how to do this but it was way too technical for me...is there a simple way to do the conversion from quattro pro to excel 2003? ...

duplicate entries created when sharing calendar
i have just recently had to move a user to another machine, so imported all the emails and caledars from the old pst file. we share the calendar between a few users, but once we start sharing the calendar, entries that are in the calender begin to duplicate and then triple. i have checked for viruses, performed nfcleans etc. can any body advise as to why the entries are doubling up? ...

training database
I am a novice Access user. I would like to set up my current training database in the most efficient way to run reports showing which employee needs what training classes and by what date. I'm basically having a hard time deciding when I should have data in a separate table or generate it from a query. I'm afraid I'm duplicating information where it shouldn't be. My goal is to run reports stating Employee A needs classes 1, 2, 3, 6, 9. Class 1 is due by 12/31/09. The problem is I have employees characterized by job title (e.g., Engineer) who need class 1 & 2 bu...

Inverting a list in Excel
I have a list, numerical or alphabetical, and it is in no particular sorted order BUT I want it that way. Now what I would like to do is invert the list of cells vertically, so that if there are 25 items the first column looks like this: "1,72,33,45,52....23,98" and the second column looks like this "98,23,....,52,45,33,72,1" HOW DO I ACCOMPLISH THIS TASK? (***Remember, I do NOT want to sort the list.) I want to leave it as is and just reverse the order of it. I want to do the same thing with names as well. I cannot figure it out. If someone knows, could you...

Excel VBA
I am designing a 'program' in excel to help capture information on forms that are received by my employer. the idea is that the user fills in the blanks, and the pre-defined text is completed with the added data using the concatenate function. However, this information is then to be copied from excel and pasted into a program that is specific to our job. This program only allows 72 characters per line of text, and DOES NOT wrap text across lines. So, if you are 5 spaces from the end of the line, and wish to type 'sentence' you end up with 'sente' on the first line and...

question and answerwith Excel
Any pointers would be most appreciated. I'm wanting to create exams online and have been told Excel will do this. For instance 20 questions with each question having to choose the correct answer from a number of possible answers. I want whoever to go through trhe 20 questions and only know how many they got right by submitting at the end. They won't know which they got right, only the number they got right. Any advice where to start with Excel would be brilliant. Best, Paul B. See if this gives you an idea: http://contextures.com/xlForm01.html -- Biff Microsoft Exce...

train
Get max count Unclear; tell us more best wishes -- www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme "train" wrote: > Get max count ...