the dates on cell format make different dates.

Please, I'm just getting farther from the answer and I have to be up for
church soon.  First question.  I'm obtuse but when I type in a date, eg jan 1
05 and then format/cell/date I select a date format and it morphs in to a
completely different date.

2nd question:  to change case, use UPPER or LOWER function.   But, how does
that work to use the cell itself or a group of cells.

If anyone can help, I'll owe you forever.

carrie, washington state  carrieaa@hotmail.com
0
case (1)

1) What does the date morph into?

2) Take a look at David McRitchie's macros:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#lower

In article <14B062E9-BEFC-4EBD-B71B-C374A8004CFA@microsoft.com>,
 date formats morph the dates/chang case <date formats morph the
 dates/chang case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Please, I'm just getting farther from the answer and I have to be up for
> church soon.  First question.  I'm obtuse but when I type in a date, eg jan 1
> 05 and then format/cell/date I select a date format and it morphs in to a
> completely different date.
>
> 2nd question:  to change case, use UPPER or LOWER function.   But, how does
> that work to use the cell itself or a group of cells.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/17/2005 4:56:34 AM
Hi

do you actual type
Jan 1 05
into a cell ... if so, excel doesn't (on my system anyway) recognise it as a
date ... try entering your dates using either the / or the -
e.g.
1/1/05
(less typing too)

--
Cheers
JulieD
dates/chang case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please, I'm just getting farther from the answer and I have to be up for
> church soon.  First question.  I'm obtuse but when I type in a date, eg
> jan 1
> 05 and then format/cell/date I select a date format and it morphs in to a
> completely different date.
>
> 2nd question:  to change case, use UPPER or LOWER function.   But, how
> does
> that work to use the cell itself or a group of cells.
>
> If anyone can help, I'll owe you forever.
>
> carrie, washington state  carrieaa@hotmail.com

0
JulieD1 (2295)
4/17/2005 4:09:00 PM
you *can* type:

jan 1, 05

And XL will recognize it as a date, BUT ... XL will display it as whatever
date format is set for that cell, verifying that it is recognized.
--
Regards,

RD

"JulieD" <JulieD@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> do you actual type
> Jan 1 05
> into a cell ... if so, excel doesn't (on my system anyway) recognise it as
> date ... try entering your dates using either the / or the -
> e.g.
> 1/1/05
> (less typing too)
>
> --
> Cheers
> JulieD
> check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm
> ...well i'm working on it anyway
> "date formats morph the dates/chang case" <date formats morph the
> dates/chang case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please, I'm just getting farther from the answer and I have to be up for
> > church soon.  First question.  I'm obtuse but when I type in a date, eg
> > jan 1
> > 05 and then format/cell/date I select a date format and it morphs in to
> > completely different date.
> >
> > 2nd question:  to change case, use UPPER or LOWER function.   But, how
> > does
> > that work to use the cell itself or a group of cells.
> >
> > If anyone can help, I'll owe you forever.
> >
> > carrie, washington state  carrieaa@hotmail.com

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
4/17/2005 5:49:02 PM
Hi:
Thanks for the info.  My problem was that I thought "format" put the date in
that format so I could type it without punctuation   41705 would format into
4-17-05 or Apr 17, 2005.  But there's no way around typing 4/17/05, I guess.

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi
>
> do you actual type
> Jan 1 05
> into a cell ... if so, excel doesn't (on my system anyway) recognise it as a
> date ... try entering your dates using either the / or the -
> e.g.
> 1/1/05
> (less typing too)
>
> --
> Cheers
> JulieD
> check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm
> ....well i'm working on it anyway
> "date formats morph the dates/chang case" <date formats morph the
> dates/chang case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please, I'm just getting farther from the answer and I have to be up for
> > church soon.  First question.  I'm obtuse but when I type in a date, eg
> > jan 1
> > 05 and then format/cell/date I select a date format and it morphs in to a
> > completely different date.
> >
> > 2nd question:  to change case, use UPPER or LOWER function.   But, how
> > does
> > that work to use the cell itself or a group of cells.
> >
> > If anyone can help, I'll owe you forever.
> >
> > carrie, washington state  carrieaa@hotmail.com

Hi:
I think my problem was understanding "formatting"  I thought you could
choose the format and then save time by typing 41705 and it would turn out
Apr 17, 2005 or   4-17-05 depending on the format.   I guess there's no way
around inpur 4/17/05.  Right?

Inputting 41705 gets you 7-mar-02

Carrie
If you were going to enter a *very* large number of dates into a column,
where you might consider it worthwhile using several *extra* steps in Text
To Columns (TTC), you could enter your dates using *6* digits (to avoid
ambiguity), *without* delimiters.

This entails a whole other procedure, so the saving wouldn't be realized
unless the number of dates to be entered was quite large.

For example, you could enter dates as mmddyy.

Then, select the cells, and
<Data> <TextToColumns> <Next> <Next>

Click on "Date", and make sure "MDY" shows in the window,
Then <Finish>.

You've now made your 6 digit date entries recognizable to XL as *the* dates
that you want, not "morphed" into dates XL chooses.

As I said before, it's your call as to whether or not this extra effort is
efficacious.
--
HTH,

RD

"date formats morph the dates/chang case"
<dateformatsmorphthedateschangcase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:972089D8-6057-40F1-BB81-127E5569383B@microsoft.com...
> Hi:
> I think my problem was understanding "formatting"  I thought you could
> choose the format and then save time by typing 41705 and it would turn out
> Apr 17, 2005 or   4-17-05 depending on the format.   I guess there's no
way
> around inpur 4/17/05.  Right?
>
> Inputting 41705 gets you 7-mar-02
>
> Carrie

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

time cell Highlight
how do i make a time cell that is behind Real time of less than minutes be highlighted i know how to use conditional formating but i dont know how to inpu information in time ie: A1= Real time 17:35 B1=17:33 B2=17:25 B3=17:18 in this case i need cell B1 to be highlighted which is behing Real tim (A1) of less than 5 minutes............ -- Pivotren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pivotrend's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=406 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27255 Hi u...

filter by date and action

Transaction Date VS Business Date

LF displays as square box in cell
I have some cells with text where the LF (line feed) displays as a square box. Searching the web for this scenario suggests that turning on Word Wrap should eliminate this display but it does not in my case. Also, not all LFs in the cell display as a square box and one of my co- workers does not see the behaviour when he opens the file on his PC (another co-worker does see the problem). The text has been downloaded from a SQL query and I'm using Excel 2007/ WinXP. Any suggestions on how to clean up the view of the cells with this text? On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:20:38 -0800 (PST), John <...

IF Function Format -- Microsoft Query
I am attempting to pull data from SQL data table into Excel for pivot table. Field_1 is a value; always positive. Field_2 is a text flag; either "C" or"D". Depending on the flag in Field_2; Field_1 is either positive or negative. What is the format of the entry in Microsoft Query so that a Field_3 can accurately be calculated? In Excel I would entry =if(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1). In Access, the function would be IIF(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1) Unfortunately I have no idea whether it will work with your SQL data. If that fails, you can a...

What is the maximum text size in a cell
Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell. How many characters/words Thanx. NED 1451 Hi the max is 1,024 characters. You can extend this limit by entering manual linebreaks withj aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "NED 1451" <NED 1451@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4ADB9C27-1E94-4843-87F7-794177BC86D2@microsoft.com... > Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell. > How many characters/words > > Thanx. > > NED 1451 Ned The maximum is 32,767 chara...

Post Dated Checks

truncating data within a cell for an entire column
Hi, I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average function to the entire column? Thanks, vlapi vlapi wrote: > Hi, > I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three > alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric > chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average > function to the entire column? > Thanks, >...

How to do a conditional format for multi cells
Lets say based on a value in A5 I would like to change the text format for cells d5:g5 (four columns), what would be the best procedure to do this, can it be done using conditional format if each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 or is there another way. By that do I input a conditional format for each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 (if A5> "xx" then <format>. A big Thank You for all the help. dave Yes, highlight the four cells and apply your conditional format to them all. You will need to use $A$5 as the reference. Pete Hi Pete, This did not work for me. For the "value" I have =$...

How to make text hover over icon
I've got a drawing in Visio where I've added an printer icon (actually a shape or stencil). I've made it a link now and pointed it to the website with the driver. I also want to be able to have it where when I hover over the item with a mouse, a text box comes up and displays the printer's IP address. This needs to be possible when saving the drawing as a web page. Is this possible? try this al I know many people have asked this question, and it has been partially answered previously. Here is a more complete explanation. Summary: You can add the User.visEquivTitle...

Navigating to Referenced Cell
I run Excel 2002 with SP-2. I finally discovered how to move to a referenced cell ( Control +[ ). I saw somebody else do it with a simple double click of a cell that had a reference in it. Mine, however, doesn't work that way (is there a way to make the double click method work?). The real question is this: After I get to a referenced cell with Control +[ is there a way to QUICKLY get back to where I started? Jeannine I'm surprised you didn't try the obvious: <Ctrl> <]> BTW, double click should work if you; <Tools> <Options> *UNCHECK* "Edit Di...

How to sort by name then date?

Rename tab on cell event
Looking for code that would simply, on the fly, depending what was entered in a cell at anytime, any amount of times, the tab name would be renamed to what the cell contents are. I have seen some pretty elaborate ways of renaming tabs. I am new at Excel and any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Hi, Right click your sheet tab, view code and paste this in then every tiome A1 is changed to a 'legal' worksheet name the sheet will be renamed. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo enditall ActiveSheet.Name = Range("A1").Value enditall: End Sub ...

how to save fixed format text file
I have an Excel file which is 269 characters wide. I need to save this file in fixed format but experience line wrap when using the PRN file type. Anyone have an answer to my problem? You might have to use a macro to get the result you want. See if Chip Pearson's text export macro does it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm -- Jim Rech Excel MVP You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,&...

strange date format problem

How do I make a poster using 4 sheetss?
I am trying to turn a 81/2 by 11 page into 4 sheet poster? File, Page setup Use dimensions of aprox 16"x20" You may have to adjust due to the margins. -- Don Vancouver, USA "making a poster" <making a poster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36663F0A-DF47-48F9-959D-50885D4552F7@microsoft.com... >I am trying to turn a 81/2 by 11 page into 4 sheet poster? ...

Comment print format
Hello, I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this text embedded by Microsoft? Thanks, Bob Hi Bob have a look at this thread http://tinyurl.com/3xq6h Frank GT40 wrote: > Hello, > I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: > when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this > text embedded by Microsoft? > Thanks, > Bob Frank OP wants the printed comments to not show the Cell:A1 Comment:whatever The codes at your URL just change the on-sheet comment format, but the printed ...

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

An expression for dates from and to

Formating pivot table cells.
Hello, I'm having problems with preserving format of a pivot table. That's how it happens: - I clear all the filters - change e.g. font size of the first column - apply one of the filters - the format changes but it looks like these are random changes - one cell has one format, the other has different, one cell is alligned to the left, the other not and so on. I tried to apply "preserve format after update" (it may sound different, it's just my translation from polish) function but it both cases formating looks random. I'd like to set my format and I want this for...