Text to Columns #4

I have a column and all I need is the last 5 characters in this field.
Problem is that this field has various text lengths. How can I get the last
5 characters and delete the rest. My spreadsheet have 1,000 or so lines.

This Column looks like this:

AESGROUPGR123
AESGROUPGR457
AESGROUPGR236
SECTIOGR046
MSGTYHSYHSYHGR123
MSGTYHSYYHGR123

My first thought was to make ths column flush right in Text to columns, but
I do not see that making it flush right is an option. Ideas?

Thanks.

0
allan1 (2)

Thanks a bunch Pete
I appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf
Pete_UK wrote:

> Try this:
>
> =RIGHT(A1,5)
>
> and copy down, assuming your data is in column A. Fix the values
> using  <copy> with Edit | Paste Special, then you can get rid of your
> original data.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Oct 8, 6:40 pm, Allan Fischler <al...@JourneyEd.com> wrote:
> > I have a column and all I need is the last 5 characters in this field.
> > Problem is that this field has various text lengths. How can I get the last
> > 5 characters and delete the rest. My spreadsheet have 1,000 or so lines.
> >
> > This Column looks like this:
> >
> > AESGROUPGR123
> > AESGROUPGR457
> > AESGROUPGR236
> > SECTIOGR046
> > MSGTYHSYHSYHGR123
> > MSGTYHSYYHGR123
> >
> > My first thought was to make ths column flush right in Text to columns, but
> > I do not see that making it flush right is an option. Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks.

0
RobJo65 (48)
10/8/2007 1:55:39 PM
"Allan Fischler" <allan@JourneyEd.com> wrote in message
>I have a column and all I need is the last 5 characters in this field.
> Problem is that this field has various text lengths. How can I get the
> last
> 5 characters and delete the rest. My spreadsheet have 1,000 or so lines.
>
> This Column looks like this:
>
> AESGROUPGR123
> AESGROUPGR457
> AESGROUPGR236
> SECTIOGR046
> MSGTYHSYHSYHGR123
> MSGTYHSYYHGR123
>
> My first thought was to make ths column flush right in Text to columns,
> but
> I do not see that making it flush right is an option. Ideas?
>
> Thanks.

You need the "RIGHT" function....

0
gbplinux (1141)
10/8/2007 5:45:55 PM
Try this:

=RIGHT(A1,5)

and copy down, assuming your data is in column A. Fix the values
using  <copy> with Edit | Paste Special, then you can get rid of your
original data.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 8, 6:40 pm, Allan Fischler <al...@JourneyEd.com> wrote:
> I have a column and all I need is the last 5 characters in this field.
> Problem is that this field has various text lengths. How can I get the last
> 5 characters and delete the rest. My spreadsheet have 1,000 or so lines.
>
> This Column looks like this:
>
> AESGROUPGR123
> AESGROUPGR457
> AESGROUPGR236
> SECTIOGR046
> MSGTYHSYHSYHGR123
> MSGTYHSYYHGR123
>
> My first thought was to make ths column flush right in Text to columns, but
> I do not see that making it flush right is an option. Ideas?
>
> Thanks.

0
pashurst (2576)
10/8/2007 6:23:52 PM
You're welcome, Joanne - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Oct 8, 2:55 pm, Joanne <RobJ...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Thanks a bunch Pete
> I appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf
>

> Pete_UK wrote:
> > Try this:
>
> > =RIGHT(A1,5)
>
> > and copy down, assuming your data is in column A. Fix the values
> > using  <copy> with Edit | Paste Special, then you can get rid of your
> > original data.
>
> > Hope this helps.
>
> > Pete
>
> > On Oct 8, 6:40 pm, Allan Fischler <al...@JourneyEd.com> wrote:
> > > I have a column and all I need is the last 5 characters in this field.
> > > Problem is that this field has various text lengths. How can I get the last
> > > 5 characters and delete the rest. My spreadsheet have 1,000 or so lines.
>
> > > This Column looks like this:
>
> > > AESGROUPGR123
> > > AESGROUPGR457
> > > AESGROUPGR236
> > > SECTIOGR046
> > > MSGTYHSYHSYHGR123
> > > MSGTYHSYYHGR123
>
> > > My first thought was to make ths column flush right in Text to columns, but
> > > I do not see that making it flush right is an option. Ideas?
>
> > > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

pashurst (2576)

TEXT = text

Blank e-mails #4
Several times a day I receive a blank e-mail with no information displayed. If you right click on blank e-mail and chose options it will show a sender e-mail address which is no good and you can't send an e-mail to them. Most of the address that the e-mails come from are (YAHOO) e-mail address. I have windows XP PRO with office 2003. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Harold K. Daniel Harold K. Daniel <hkheaven@cox.net> wrote: > Several times a day I receive a blank e-mail with no > information displayed. If you right click on blank e-mail > and chose options it...

Selecting text in a document

Wave 4 beta stand-alone
Is there a stand-alone installer for the wave 4 beta? I like to have the wlsetup-all.exe file on hand should I ever need to re-install. The full install file is not available from the Live Download site. ....winston ms-mvp mail "T-Man" wrote in message news:eYUOZJ0FLHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... Is there a stand-alone installer for the wave 4 beta? I like to have the wlsetup-all.exe file on hand should I ever need to re-install. ...

CScrollView and text height

100% stacked column/clustered column
Hello I have a 100% stacked column chart (12 columns). The first two columns show data for: EUN 2002 EUN 2003 The next two shows data for: EUS 2002 EUS 2003 and so on. I want to have EUN 2002 and EUN2003 placed without any space (as in a clustered column chart). Similarly for EUS 2002 and EUS 2003 and on. Any help? Hans Knudsen Hi Hans - Through careful arrangement of the data in your worksheet, you can make a stacked column chart that looks like a clustered-stacked column chart. There is a tutorial showing this technique on Bernard Liengme's site: http://www.stfx.ca/peop...

Microsoft Money 2001 #4
Dear Microsoft Newsgroup, I have installed Microsoft Money 2001 I am having problem to open "Set up your employment income and bill" because this is not highligted on the screen after I complited the two previous topics. Would you please help me with advice what to do. Best Regards - Ela ...

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

crm 3.0 and crm 4.0 client
Can one user have crm 3.0 client(live system) in desktop and crm 4.0 client(for our 4.0 test server) in a laptop?. If by client you mean 'Outlook Client', then no. If you mean using the IE client, then sure. -- Fortis www.webfortis.com "lily" wrote: > Can one user have crm 3.0 client(live system) in desktop and crm 4.0 > client(for our 4.0 test server) in a laptop?. > ...

Find & Replace #4
Is it possible to run the find and replace option against multiple criteria? If you can, could someone please list the steps. Thank you. Hi Orville, Can you be more specific as to what you want. I think you will need to use a programming solution to check each cell in a selection. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Orville" <orville_schlup@nrl.com> wrote in message news:TXRbc.139167$Wa.7096@news-server...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Null in text box

Re: Using Text Styles

CRM 4.0 Workflow problems when changing long running workflows.
I've created some long running timeout-workflows which waits for a specific amount of time after an update is done to my users entity, and then send's an email to notify the user. If I unpublish the workflow, makes changes, and publishes it again then the old instances of the workflow continues running the old workflow, and new one's are using the new workflow. That is ok, I guess. My problem is that sometimes the old version of the workflow crashes and sometimes it is running fine. I've found no reason why it crashes and the error message only tells me to contact Micro...

How do I merge two columns without losing data?
If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the merge? One way =CONCATENATE(A1,B1) Ian --- "Caseybay" <Caseybay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D860F83-00D5-446D-AAA5-BE938DF3C1BF@microsoft.com... > If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column > feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the > merge? =a1&b1 or =a1&" "&b1 (use a helper column of formulas.) Caseybay wrote...

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...