Switching Row & Column Headers

I have a whole bunch of data.  The rows should actually be
the columns, and Column A should be the column
headers....make sense?  Like this:
Name   Aname   Bname   Cname  Dname
Number  44       55      66     77
Letter   ftr    ftg     fth     fkk

should Be:
Name     Number     Letter
Aname     44          ftr
Bname     55          ftg
Cname     66          fth
Dname     77          fkk

How do can I easily switch them?
Thanks,
Greta
0
anonymous (74717)

Hi Greta
try the following:
- Select your cells and copy them (CTRL+C)
- Select your target area
- Goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Transpose'
- Hit 'OK'

Frank

Greta wrote:
> I have a whole bunch of data.  The rows should actually be
> the columns, and Column A should be the column
> headers....make sense?  Like this:
> Name   Aname   Bname   Cname  Dname
> Number  44       55      66     77
> Letter   ftr    ftg     fth     fkk
>
> should Be:
> Name     Number     Letter
> Aname     44          ftr
> Bname     55          ftg
> Cname     66          fth
> Dname     77          fkk
>
> How do can I easily switch them?
> Thanks,
> Greta

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/10/2004 10:13:28 PM
Hi Greta,

Look in Help for details on Edit>Paste Special>Transpose

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Greta" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a whole bunch of data.  The rows should actually be
> the columns, and Column A should be the column
> headers....make sense?  Like this:
> Name   Aname   Bname   Cname  Dname
> Number  44       55      66     77
> Letter   ftr    ftg     fth     fkk
>
> should Be:
> Name     Number     Letter
> Aname     44          ftr
> Bname     55          ftg
> Cname     66          fth
> Dname     77          fkk
>
> How do can I easily switch them?
> Thanks,
> Greta

0
nicolaus (2022)

Detecting first row in ListView
Is there a method of detecting which row number is the first row displayed in a ListView when the view has been scrolled down? There doesn't seem to be an event that is fired when the user scrolls the list up or down. Is there another method of detecting the top row number in the view? Thanks, Charlie =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?= <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:843217DD-4384-4250-853C-4A96C5D004D7@microsoft.com: > Is there a method of detecting which row number is the > first row displayed in a ListView when the view has been > scrolled do...

Stacked Column Chart #8
Hi, XL2003 At work, we allocate a Labour Time for every job we have an order for. I’m using a stacked column chart with 2 columns. The first column shows the total number of hours for all jobs. The second column shows the total number of labour hours available over a given period of weeks. I have found that I can’t use my current chart if the total number of jobs is more than 255. I don’t want to sum the job hours first, because the current chart allows the user to hover the mouse over each graphical segment, which brings up a comment-like box, with the name of the job, and the number o...

Auto input data on one sheet based on row selected in another shee
Hi all, I have a worksheet that contains rows of data. I also have setup a 'form' (in the general sense of the word) on another worksheet. What I want to do is take data from the selected row on the first worksheet and automatically fill cells on that second worksheet (the 'form') with it. Is that possible? If so, can someone give me an example of a formula that would do it? Thanks, CW Something like =Sheet!A1 should work Best way is: type =, open the other sheet and click the cell; press Enter Key or click green check mark on Formula bar best wishes -- Bernard V L...

Can you switch a documnet from a poster to a letter?
Once you created a poster can you resize it to a letter? I know that you can resize the paper, but the test remains poster size. I would create a .pdf file with that poster and then using Reader, print and scale it down to letter size. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "o2binny" <o2binny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7EC493A-5E9E-4485-A710-9C5748010316@microsoft.com... > Once you created a poster can you resize it to a letter? I know that you > can > resize th...

Add row between current rows in a way to long sheet....
I need to add 1 row between each current row in an 2670 rows long excelsheet. And yes I am lazy, so could anyone help me create the macro? Seems I'm doing something wrong... :( PS: I'm working excel 2003. Thank you for your help! Just fill a simple sequence 1, 2, 3, ... 2670 in a blank column next to your data (imagine this is column H). Then copy that sequence down to H2671 and down. Then highlight the block of data (including the helper column) down to row 5340 and perform your sort, using column H as the sort key. You can delete column H afterwards. Hope this helps. Pete On...

Charting data in the same column on multiple tabs
How can I chart the data in the same column on multiple tabs? This article describes how to use data from different sheets in a single chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Bob Hopson" <BobHopson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCFEB676-BBD0-45F2-9638-969A3E44C604@microsoft.com... > How can I chart the data in the same column on multiple tabs? ...

Showing Duplicate Rows
Hi All, I have seen the question with that same title however that is not exactly "showing" duplicates. It is more showing unique (not duplicate) I would like to truly show the duplicates. For instance there are several duplicate product numbers that are in my sheet and I want to display all the duplicates so that I can make corrections. IE: Item number 31323 31324 31325 31326 31326 31327 31328 31328 31329 31330 31331 How can I filter so that excel will only show those rows that have duplicate Item numbers? Thanks Eagle Use data>filter>autofilter>filter by column...

Help wth column sorting macro!!!!
Help!!! I need a macro that will sort data by a column when the user clicks on the column heading (i.e., username). The macro then needs to return the user to the cell that was selected prior to sorting the data. P.S. I need this for a client within the next 1/2 hour if possible. Thanks so much!! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Believe you have received and answer to this in one of the other groups where you multiposted this question. -- Regards,...

So why are YOU switching or not switching to Quicken?
I have seen many posts from users who have switched to Quicken and others who have no plans at all to switch to Quicken. I have used MS Money for 10 years and didn't activate Money Plus until this year so I will get updates until the bitter end in Jan 2011. I'm hoping this thread will be useful to discuss reason(s) to switch or not switch that people might not have thought of by themselves. So here the reasons I have come up with for why someone would or would not switch to Quicken. What's yours? Reasons for switching - Upset Microsoft discontinued Money - Your onlin...

Sum a table of columns & rows
I have a spreadsheet of 154 Rows (all unique project numbers in numerical order) and 9 columns of account numbers (some are similiar and some are user entered, therefore there could be 'blanks' with no data in them). I am trying to create a table that will only give me the project number if there are dollars in one or more of the columns. This would be used for data entry (and that is why I would like to have the columns summed up - to remove duplicates). Any ideas? I have given a brief example below: F, G, &am...

When any cell in row 19 (eg K19) equals X I want the cell in row 25 3 cells before K19 (i.e. H25) to eqaul Y.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Cheers! Re: When any cell in row 19 (eg K19) equals X I want the cell in row 25 3 cells before K19 (i.e. H25) to equal Y. One way to get it done .. In A25: =IF(ISNA(MATCH("X",19:19,0)),"",IF(MATCH("X",19:19,0)<4,"",IF(COLUMNS($A:A)+3=MATCH("X",19:19,0),"Y",""))) Copy right across to IV25 Above of course, assumes that there's only a single "X" within row 19 at any time. If you got more "X"'s in row 19, it'll return only the result for the 1st one ...

Removing duplicate cells/rows in excel
I have a spreadsheet with 1,000 rows. Each row has a persons name (e.g. James J Smith) as the first cell. There are multiple entries for a single person (e.g. James J Smith). The first entry found is the one with the latest data. I need to remove all the duplicate rows for a single person so that I end up with one entry per person that is the first one found in the spreadsheet. What is the best way of doing this? Hi Joe, A macro would probably be the most efficient way, though would could do it manually using an oldest>newest sort and conditional formatting to highlight duplicates and...

How do I get every other row to highlight gray
I need every other row to be gray and if I insert a row I need the sheet to correct the shading automatically format>conditional format>condition 1>formula is>=mod(row(),2=0)>format as desired. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Nancy C" <Nancy C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D44D022-3A18-48CE-9E76-B4AEA19891F8@microsoft.com... > I need every other row to be gray and if I insert a row I need the sheet to > correct the shading automatically In cell A1: Format, Conditional Formatting. Let the condition be Formula is ...

Color alternating Rows
Excel 2007 Any easy way to color alternation rows on an excel sheet? And to make it more complex can I do the above within the constraints of certain columns (color alternation rows onlw between columns 1 and 7 - for example)? Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance You can do it with Conditional Formatting. See www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm for examples. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Dave" <dave@accessdatapros> wrote in message news:963EA009-CBE0-4724-9DA2...

Have switched to Apple Mail!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Too many problems with syncing, missing email, etc. etc. <br><br>I've now switched to Apple Mail and it works WAY better! How easy was it to transfer all your old email and folders? 2008 was a big disappointment for me because I only got 1 minor feature I was waiting for (thesaurus access) and the HTML editing that nearly everyone asked for since 2004 came out was still missing. In fact, like Office 2007 on the PC, the user interface (in the other office applicat...

find last row with data
I have an excel file that is looking at another file to get an array o info.Currently it is going to the first blank row then looking up on row and retrieving that info.I have pasted below the function as it i currently written .Can someone show me an editing of this that wil tell it to simply read the bottom row with data. Thankss-Greg Function FindBlankRow() x = 2 Do While ActiveSheet.Cells(x, 1) <> "" x = x + 1 Loop FindBlankRow = x - -- singlgl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- singlgl1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/me...

missing cell rows (jumps from 2 directly to 9)
I wonder why a excel file I received have some rows invisible. It jumps directly from 2 to 9 and no 3 to 8? It's not hidden as hide is grayed. Thanks, It could mean that the worksheet is filtered. Do you see arrows on any of the "header" cells (row 1???) Look at the row numbers. Are they grey or blue? If they're blue, it's autofilter. Try this (xl2003 menus): Data|Filter|show all I'm not sure what "hide is grayed" means, but if it's not autofilter, then try this next. F5 (same as Edit|goto) type: 1:65536 and hit enter Then ...

Selecting rows to display
I have a spreadsheet with approx 200 rows. One of the columns displays a figure between 25 and 60 on each row. need to simply view the rows with figures over 50 either by running report or filtering the numbers. Any ideas ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try an AutoFilter (Data > Filter > AutoFilter). Select "Custom" in the drop down box for that column and specify greater than 50. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message---...

Headers #3
How can I select a cell or range of cells for a header instead of an entire row or column? If you are talking about freezing the top row(s) for display showing only some cells on the row, Or repeating rows or columns for printing then the answer is that you can't. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/freeze.htm If for printing you could change the color of the font for the other cells so they don't show. If you want something like a dictionary reference, or a telephone book reference showing to first entry on the page and the last entry on a page like kel-mcr then yo...

Convert multiple rows of text into columns...
I have rows of text and figures that I need to separate into columns. Excel 2003 will only let me do one row at a time. Is there an add-on that will allow me to convert multiple rows? Thanks. silas silas There are various methods.....worksheet functions or macros. If we had a representative sample of your data layout and what you want done with it we could make a better decision. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:32:23 -0600, "silas" <silas.NOSPAMprophet@gmail.com> wrote: >I have rows of text and figures that I need to separate into columns. Excel...

/3gb switch
On 2 brand new Exchange 2003/Windows 2003 installs, I have modified the boot.ini file to include the /3GB /USERVA=3030 Exactly as instructed on the knowledgebase. However, I still recieve the memory settings warning whenever the servers boot up. Any ideas? The following KB article should guide you through some other settings that can be modified to optimize memory usage. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=815372&product=exch2003 -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Jorge Azcuy" <Jorge Azcuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25EA3E6F-C66F-478A-...

Insert Rows into an existing array
I have a spreadsheet with a series of formulas in various columns. I now want to insert more rows that will follow the formula rules of the existing columns. How do I overcome the message "you cannot change part of an array"? Thanks in advance Pav, Go to the cells that have the array entered formula, select them, enter edit mode (when the first cell is the active cell), press home, and insert a single quote, then press Ctrl-Enter (not Ctrl0Shift-Enter). Do this for all multi-cell array formulas. Then insert your rows, then reselect the cells (plus extra for the newly inserted ...

Return Column header, if row value is > X
I need to create a formula the looks at a row range for a value over $1,000,000 and if a cell in the row matches the criteria, return the header of that column that matches the cell... For example A B C D 1 "What FY contains value >1,000,000?" __________ 2 FY01 FY02 FY03 FY04 3 1,500 15,000 150,000 1,500,000 DESIRED result in cell D1 should be FY04. Any solutions on how to write this formula? I'm sure it will be a nesting stat...

switching to windows 7
switching to windows 7, still need to have access to old e-mails. how can i access e-mails created in outlook express? Copy the ***ENTIRE*** OE message store to flash or CD. Do not copy individual dbx files. Put the copy of the message store on the Win7 Desktop. Open WLMail and File | Import | Messages | Outlook Express and point to where you saved them. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Jessica" <jstech@optonline.net> wrote in message news:uOEamPygKHA.1112@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > switching to windows 7, ...

Repeat Rows at Top Problem
I developed an application for Excel that uses "Rows to repeat at top" (for the header in a table) in the event the report being printed has multiple pages. It has worked fine. However, a user recently reported she has a report with just one page and is getting the header (the "row to repeat at top") printed over the footer on page one. Any ideas why? Is there something in an Excel setting that must be changed? TIA Jim Kobzeff Their program might be resetting the "page margins" (her default page margins might be .75 Inches while yours are set at .5 inche...