switch colums and rows

Here's my problem...I have a list of bills for workers' comp claimants. Each
bill is in a row with a specific service type (occup med center, radiology,
surgery, physical therapy). The columns house the claimant name, date of
service, a physician name.  I need to create a "story" for each claimant
showing the number of days between each service transaction (between
physician visit and surgery, for example). I was thinking that the best way
to do this would be to switch my rows into colums. How would I pull specific
rows (I have a column label with the types of service) into columns. Then if
I do this, is there a simple way to count the number of days between each
type of service. Also, each "story" is unique. For example, some claimants go
to physical therapy before surgery, some after.
0
Jersey1 (2)

Susanne -

To switch (transpose) the columns/rows, highlight the entire spreadsheet,
open up a new sheet, Edit, Paste Special, Transpose, OK.  Chip Pearson has
info about Date Arithmetic (www.cpearson.com/excel/datearith.htm

HTH,
Carole O

"susanne in new jersey" wrote:

> Here's my problem...I have a list of bills for workers' comp claimants. Each
> bill is in a row with a specific service type (occup med center, radiology,
> surgery, physical therapy). The columns house the claimant name, date of
> service, a physician name.  I need to create a "story" for each claimant
> showing the number of days between each service transaction (between
> physician visit and surgery, for example). I was thinking that the best way
> to do this would be to switch my rows into colums. How would I pull specific
> rows (I have a column label with the types of service) into columns. Then if
> I do this, is there a simple way to count the number of days between each
> type of service. Also, each "story" is unique. For example, some claimants go
> to physical therapy before surgery, some after.
0
CaroleO (115)

Auto input data on one sheet based on row selected in another shee
Hi all, I have a worksheet that contains rows of data. I also have setup a 'form' (in the general sense of the word) on another worksheet. What I want to do is take data from the selected row on the first worksheet and automatically fill cells on that second worksheet (the 'form') with it. Is that possible? If so, can someone give me an example of a formula that would do it? Thanks, CW Something like =Sheet!A1 should work Best way is: type =, open the other sheet and click the cell; press Enter Key or click green check mark on Formula bar best wishes -- Bernard V L...

Can you switch a documnet from a poster to a letter?
Once you created a poster can you resize it to a letter? I know that you can resize the paper, but the test remains poster size. I would create a .pdf file with that poster and then using Reader, print and scale it down to letter size. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "o2binny" <o2binny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7EC493A-5E9E-4485-A710-9C5748010316@microsoft.com... > Once you created a poster can you resize it to a letter? I know that you > can > resize th...

Detecting first row in ListView
Is there a method of detecting which row number is the first row displayed in a ListView when the view has been scrolled down? There doesn't seem to be an event that is fired when the user scrolls the list up or down. Is there another method of detecting the top row number in the view? Thanks, Charlie =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?= <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:843217DD-4384-4250-853C-4A96C5D004D7@microsoft.com: > Is there a method of detecting which row number is the > first row displayed in a ListView when the view has been > scrolled do...

Sum a table of columns & rows
I have a spreadsheet of 154 Rows (all unique project numbers in numerical order) and 9 columns of account numbers (some are similiar and some are user entered, therefore there could be 'blanks' with no data in them). I am trying to create a table that will only give me the project number if there are dollars in one or more of the columns. This would be used for data entry (and that is why I would like to have the columns summed up - to remove duplicates). Any ideas? I have given a brief example below: F, G, &am...

So why are YOU switching or not switching to Quicken?
I have seen many posts from users who have switched to Quicken and others who have no plans at all to switch to Quicken. I have used MS Money for 10 years and didn't activate Money Plus until this year so I will get updates until the bitter end in Jan 2011. I'm hoping this thread will be useful to discuss reason(s) to switch or not switch that people might not have thought of by themselves. So here the reasons I have come up with for why someone would or would not switch to Quicken. What's yours? Reasons for switching - Upset Microsoft discontinued Money - Your onlin...

Showing Duplicate Rows
Hi All, I have seen the question with that same title however that is not exactly "showing" duplicates. It is more showing unique (not duplicate) I would like to truly show the duplicates. For instance there are several duplicate product numbers that are in my sheet and I want to display all the duplicates so that I can make corrections. IE: Item number 31323 31324 31325 31326 31326 31327 31328 31328 31329 31330 31331 How can I filter so that excel will only show those rows that have duplicate Item numbers? Thanks Eagle Use data>filter>autofilter>filter by column...

Removing duplicate cells/rows in excel
I have a spreadsheet with 1,000 rows. Each row has a persons name (e.g. James J Smith) as the first cell. There are multiple entries for a single person (e.g. James J Smith). The first entry found is the one with the latest data. I need to remove all the duplicate rows for a single person so that I end up with one entry per person that is the first one found in the spreadsheet. What is the best way of doing this? Hi Joe, A macro would probably be the most efficient way, though would could do it manually using an oldest>newest sort and conditional formatting to highlight duplicates and...

When any cell in row 19 (eg K19) equals X I want the cell in row 25 3 cells before K19 (i.e. H25) to eqaul Y.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Cheers! Re: When any cell in row 19 (eg K19) equals X I want the cell in row 25 3 cells before K19 (i.e. H25) to equal Y. One way to get it done .. In A25: =IF(ISNA(MATCH("X",19:19,0)),"",IF(MATCH("X",19:19,0)<4,"",IF(COLUMNS($A:A)+3=MATCH("X",19:19,0),"Y",""))) Copy right across to IV25 Above of course, assumes that there's only a single "X" within row 19 at any time. If you got more "X"'s in row 19, it'll return only the result for the 1st one ...

How do I get every other row to highlight gray
I need every other row to be gray and if I insert a row I need the sheet to correct the shading automatically format>conditional format>condition 1>formula is>=mod(row(),2=0)>format as desired. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Nancy C" <Nancy C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D44D022-3A18-48CE-9E76-B4AEA19891F8@microsoft.com... > I need every other row to be gray and if I insert a row I need the sheet to > correct the shading automatically In cell A1: Format, Conditional Formatting. Let the condition be Formula is ...

Color alternating Rows
Excel 2007 Any easy way to color alternation rows on an excel sheet? And to make it more complex can I do the above within the constraints of certain columns (color alternation rows onlw between columns 1 and 7 - for example)? Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance You can do it with Conditional Formatting. See www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm for examples. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Dave" <dave@accessdatapros> wrote in message news:963EA009-CBE0-4724-9DA2...

Have switched to Apple Mail!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Too many problems with syncing, missing email, etc. etc. <br><br>I've now switched to Apple Mail and it works WAY better! How easy was it to transfer all your old email and folders? 2008 was a big disappointment for me because I only got 1 minor feature I was waiting for (thesaurus access) and the HTML editing that nearly everyone asked for since 2004 came out was still missing. In fact, like Office 2007 on the PC, the user interface (in the other office applicat...

Convert multiple rows of text into columns...
I have rows of text and figures that I need to separate into columns. Excel 2003 will only let me do one row at a time. Is there an add-on that will allow me to convert multiple rows? Thanks. silas silas There are various methods.....worksheet functions or macros. If we had a representative sample of your data layout and what you want done with it we could make a better decision. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:32:23 -0600, "silas" <silas.NOSPAMprophet@gmail.com> wrote: >I have rows of text and figures that I need to separate into columns. Excel...

/3gb switch
On 2 brand new Exchange 2003/Windows 2003 installs, I have modified the boot.ini file to include the /3GB /USERVA=3030 Exactly as instructed on the knowledgebase. However, I still recieve the memory settings warning whenever the servers boot up. Any ideas? The following KB article should guide you through some other settings that can be modified to optimize memory usage. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=815372&product=exch2003 -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Jorge Azcuy" <Jorge Azcuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25EA3E6F-C66F-478A-...

Insert Rows into an existing array
I have a spreadsheet with a series of formulas in various columns. I now want to insert more rows that will follow the formula rules of the existing columns. How do I overcome the message "you cannot change part of an array"? Thanks in advance Pav, Go to the cells that have the array entered formula, select them, enter edit mode (when the first cell is the active cell), press home, and insert a single quote, then press Ctrl-Enter (not Ctrl0Shift-Enter). Do this for all multi-cell array formulas. Then insert your rows, then reselect the cells (plus extra for the newly inserted ...

Return Column header, if row value is > X
I need to create a formula the looks at a row range for a value over $1,000,000 and if a cell in the row matches the criteria, return the header of that column that matches the cell... For example A B C D 1 "What FY contains value >1,000,000?" __________ 2 FY01 FY02 FY03 FY04 3 1,500 15,000 150,000 1,500,000 DESIRED result in cell D1 should be FY04. Any solutions on how to write this formula? I'm sure it will be a nesting stat...

switching to windows 7
switching to windows 7, still need to have access to old e-mails. how can i access e-mails created in outlook express? Copy the ***ENTIRE*** OE message store to flash or CD. Do not copy individual dbx files. Put the copy of the message store on the Win7 Desktop. Open WLMail and File | Import | Messages | Outlook Express and point to where you saved them. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Jessica" <jstech@optonline.net> wrote in message news:uOEamPygKHA.1112@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > switching to windows 7, ...

Repeat Rows at Top Problem
I developed an application for Excel that uses "Rows to repeat at top" (for the header in a table) in the event the report being printed has multiple pages. It has worked fine. However, a user recently reported she has a report with just one page and is getting the header (the "row to repeat at top") printed over the footer on page one. Any ideas why? Is there something in an Excel setting that must be changed? TIA Jim Kobzeff Their program might be resetting the "page margins" (her default page margins might be .75 Inches while yours are set at .5 inche...

switching
I am considering switching to MAC I recently bought Office for my PC. Do i have to re-purchase for MAC or are there any program from Microsoft to assist so i do not incur the double cost? thanks David In article <221401c49ca8$945b59b0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "David Knopf" <knopfd@woh.rr.com> wrote: > I am considering switching to MAC > > I recently bought Office for my PC. > > Do i have to re-purchase for MAC or are there any program > from Microsoft to assist so i do not incur the double > cost? Unfortunately, there's no discount/switch ...

Help on {=SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$7=$A$10,ROW($A$1:$A$7)),ROW(1:1))}
Dear All, Plz help on this formula {=SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$7=$A$10,ROW($A$1:$A$7)),ROW(1:1))}, how this works as I m new excel user. what does is meant $A$1:$A$7=$A$10 Hi As an array formula, it is testing each cell in the range A1 to A7 to see if it has the same value as that in cell A10 and returning what is the first row number that the value occurs in the range. -- Regards Roger Govier "Sandeep Jangra" <SandeepJangra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A133D2D-75A6-4A3B-93AB-6680D164C647@microsoft.com... > Dear All, > Plz help on this formula > ...

Insert / remove a row from protected sheet excel 2003 #2
Hi, I have my worksheet protected. I set the frist 5 rows all cells to Locked. The rest of the cells are Unlocked. When applying protection I ticked the boxes saying allow insert of row and allow delete rows. Yet when the protection is applied the icons / menu options for inserting / deleting rows are grayed out. What am I doing wrong? Thanks! Michiel. ...

how to create formula to divide two rows autoaatically
Is there any way to setup a sheet or create a formula so that it will divide the data in column A by Column B anytime the data is entered and put it into columnC ? What I am trying to do is create a spreadsheet for calculating fuel MPG. So I have columns as miles, gallons and the calculation as MPG. What I want to do is anytime a value is entered into miles and gallons, to calculate mpg and put it into that respective cell. Is there any way I can do this ? Thanks -- Tony Tony, in Column C, type the formula =sum(a1/b1). This should give you the result you are looking for. Hop...

Convert Rows data
Hi there, I have the following sample data: PARTNUMBER QTY RATe PRUN VALID_FROM_VALID_TO ZWR1 0.1095 USD 1 20050512 20050526 XREZ12 0.1095 USD 1 20050527 99991231 is it possible to put this data in the following: 20050512 20050526 20050527 99991231 ZWR1 XREZ12 0.1095 0.1095 USD USD 1 1 So basically make the exis...

switching from outlook express to outlook
I keep getting a mail delivery error, either saying "password required" or "the operation was cancelled". I've tried all combinations in the properties section of the account, to no avail. Of course, Express asks me for a password before kicking in. Any suggestions? "Barrie" <bhharry@telus.net> wrote in message news:05eb01c39539$a1626300$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I keep getting a mail delivery error, either > saying "password required" or "the operation was > cancelled". I've tried all combinations in the properties >...

HELP. 2 Emails in 03' and need to switch them.... want new email M
Help! I have just added second email acct to 2003 + want new acct to appear so its connected to contacts,calendar,outbox... I'm unsure of how to explain it.... but I'll try. Note: I have already made this email account my default account. Currently, my view looks like this in "all mail folders" view under Mail in navigation pane: +Personal Folders Deleted items Drafts +Inbox ****(This is the inital email, and under OUTLOOK TODAY, THIS email account comes under inbox (seen under "messages" in Outlook Today.)**** Junk Email ...

how do i sort the colums in alphabetical order
how do i sort the colums in alphabetical order after the document has been created? I haven't tried this but it may work. Create the columns in Word and sort them. Then do a sort followed by copy/paste into Publisher columns (a text box for each column or create a table). -- Don Quid Pro Quo. "Barry Harper" <Barry Harper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDC1414A-29D2-4C95-855E-0CA5E0B36677@microsoft.com... > how do i sort the colums in alphabetical order after the document has been > created? ...