stupid question #2

i have a spreadsheet that the last person working on it put last name and
first name in the same cell i would like it to have a last name column and a
first name column.
is it possible to split the contents with out having to retype it all.

P.S. there are over 1000 entries ;O)
0
kimberly (18)

Select the cells with names in and then:-

data|text to columns and use the wizard

Mike

"Kimberly" wrote:

> i have a spreadsheet that the last person working on it put last name and
> first name in the same cell i would like it to have a last name column and a
> first name column.
> is it possible to split the contents with out having to retype it all.
>
> P.S. there are over 1000 entries ;O)
0
MikeH (222)
5/18/2007 7:04:02 PM
Thanks so much that works great except it doesnt line up correctly.
some still have the middle initial and some rows bring over the first letter
of the last name.
very confusing but i will keep trying

"Mike H" wrote:

> Select the cells with names in and then:-
>
> data|text to columns and use the wizard
>
> Mike
>
> "Kimberly" wrote:
>
> > i have a spreadsheet that the last person working on it put last name and
> > first name in the same cell i would like it to have a last name column and a
> > first name column.
> > is it possible to split the contents with out having to retype it all.
> >
> > P.S. there are over 1000 entries ;O)
0
kimberly (18)
5/18/2007 7:41:00 PM
i figured it out
thanks so much

"Kimberly" wrote:

> Thanks so much that works great except it doesnt line up correctly.
> some still have the middle initial and some rows bring over the first letter
> of the last name.
> very confusing but i will keep trying
>
> "Mike H" wrote:
>
> > Select the cells with names in and then:-
> >
> > data|text to columns and use the wizard
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Kimberly" wrote:
> >
> > > i have a spreadsheet that the last person working on it put last name and
> > > first name in the same cell i would like it to have a last name column and a
> > > first name column.
> > > is it possible to split the contents with out having to retype it all.
> > >
> > > P.S. there are over 1000 entries ;O)
0
kimberly (18)
5/18/2007 7:55:00 PM
Kimberly, have a look here and see if something there will do what you want
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Kimberly" <Kimberly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a spreadsheet that the last person working on it put last name and
> first name in the same cell i would like it to have a last name column and
> first name column.
> is it possible to split the contents with out having to retype it all.
>
> P.S. there are over 1000 entries ;O)

Spin Control #2
Does a spin control have any thing similar to OnKillFocusEdit like a Edit control. Can you find the KillFocus of a spin control? Since a spin control does not take the focus away from other controls when clicked on, it will get a WM_KILLFOCUS or any other message of that type. AliR. "Alamelu" <Alamelu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D945B82-5C60-4BE6-A484-C2E8CF6E02C1@microsoft.com... > Does a spin control have any thing similar to OnKillFocusEdit like a Edit > control. > > Can you find the KillFocus of a spin control? > > ...

Moving average #2
While charting using the moving average, I am unable to remove the previous period of data. Let's say I am charting data with a 50 data moving average. After inputing the trendline data, I cannot remove the line chart of the previous 50 data entries before the 50 data moving average appears. Any suggestions would be helpful. ...

Stupid
When I go to open a file stored on the network "Network" is not listed by default as a place to find and open Excel files in Excel 2007. This is as moronic as the ribbon of abomination. Yes, I can find out how to add "Network" as a default choice but it should be their to begin with. That, and the fact that Excel 2007 does not recognize conditional formatting in spreadsheets created in Excel 2003 converted to to the ".xls" format make it clear that the same geniuses who programmed Vista programmed Office 2007. I cannot believe how dumb the design of both those...

Building New SBS2008 Server Hardware Question
I am going to spec out a new server for a client who will be running SBS2008 Advanced. They may or may not running the SQL on that physical box. Not sure yet. They key thing they have been having a problem with in their current SBS2003 is I/O speed of the HDs. (I think something is not right with the controller) and now the machine is almost 5 years old. It's time to upgrade their 15 user network. So in your "dream world". What would you make sure you include in the hardware and how would you configure it, including virtualizations. The customer uses Dell ...

VLOOKUP Question 11-14-09
I feel stupid but I cant figure out what is wrong with my forumla. It will only return #N/A. Here is the formula: =(VLOOKUP(J2,List!$A$1:$G$404,6,FALSE)) Where "List" is another tab on the same workbook and 6 is the column that I want ito lookup. You don't need those outside ()'s, but that won't matter. =VLOOKUP(J2,List!$A$1:$G$404,6,FALSE) My guess is that you don't have an exact match in List!A1:A404 for the value in J2. Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on troubleshooting =vlookup(): http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble O...

How do I add footnotes in Publisher? #2
How do I add footnotes or endnotes to a passage in Publisher? Is it possible? I know in Word you go to Insert->Reference->Footnote, but there isn't a "reference" tab in Publisher. Hi kgoff (kgoff@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || How do I add footnotes or endnotes to a passage in Publisher? Is it || possible? I know in Word you go to Insert->Reference->Footnote, but || there isn't a "reference" tab in Publisher. Publisher doesn't have this feature. You have to create them manually...usually using superscript etc. ...

Beginner question about importing data from Access into Excel
For my work I have to write a lot of Word documents which are linked to Excel spreadsheets for calculations and tables. I've got it all figured out between Word and Excel, everything works. I have a series of Word template documents extensively linked to a single Excel worksheet which is where I do most of my work, the document really just requiring formatting and a little bit of typing once my work in Excel is done. The next step for me, which would be enormously beneficial in terms of time savings, would be to be able to link the Excel documents to an Access database. This would save...

sign in name #2
Due to my busy schedule I have not worked with my investment/checking account files in Money 2002 since June 2003. Now when I try to open my files I receive an error message that my sign in name does not exist. I have sent numerous e-mails to Microsoft support and am told that after three months of inactivity the file sign in name is invalid. How can I open my files and retrieve my data? Support says I must start a new file and re-enter the data. If I must do this it won't be on Money software. Help In microsoft.public.money, Rich wrote: >Due to my busy schedule I have not wor...

VB code #2
Hi i have a workbook that has some sheet code that formats the worksheet problem is i have to click in a cell to activate the sheet code. if i select a cell in VB code this causes the macros /sheet code to crash. The cell remains selected stopping me pasting values into the worksheet. i need a cell to be selected(update format) then i need the cell deselected(allowing me to paste vlaues onto worksheet) Is there any way of de selecting the a cell in VB code? Kevin Kevin, I think it would help to see the code. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the P...

Before Update event question
If I am positioned on a new record (not yet saved) and I open a popup form and then in the code for this form, I modify a bound field on my original form and then close the popup form, does this trigger the 'before update' event on the original form? This is what seems to be happening. I don't want this event to trigger until I save the record or move to another record. It seems that I have to postpone modifying the bound field until the 'before update event'. This means that in the popup form, I have to save the value in an unbound field and then move it to the bound...

ListCtrl Question
am creating a CListView as my main View. It will display records from a recordset. I am going to open my recordset, pull all the records out of a certain table and insert them into the list view and then close the recordset. When the user chooses to add a new record, I will pop up a dialog box, create a local recordset and when the user clicks the ok button, I will add the record to the recordset and then close it. Here's the question, do I use InsertItem to add the new record to the list view or do I rebuild the list view from the recordset again. Same with deleting a record, I will...

MFC Question
I have an MFC application that uses some business objects created a few years ago in the form of "extension dlls." I've been updating it now for quite a while. I recently got a request to develop a browser-based interface to support telecommuting staff. I have the option to develop it in Java/JSP as our company only wants to support Apache servers. But, to ease my pain, they're allowing me to run an IIS server so I can program it in .NET. My question is, how do I use my MFC business objects in a JSP or .NET web application? I simply do not want to re-write them in anyt...

Alphanumeric Sort #2
I have a range of unique identifiers A1 through A500. I sort on a different column then need to resort on those unique identifiers. How do I prevent a1 a10 a100 a101 a102 a103 a104 a105 a106 a107 a108 a109 When it should be a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 a7 a8 a9 Thanks, Arturo Because the entries start with "a", Excel interprets the entire cell and each of the cell's components as text. Even though the cells contain numbers, Excel sorts them textually, and "103" appears before "2" in an alpha sorted list. If the format of your entries is alpha-#-#-# then one way to...

spell checking in protected sheet #2
I have protected a worksheet and left certain ranges unlocked. One of the unlocked ranges contains text explanations that will be periodically updated by various users. I have discovered that even though these cells are unlocked, spell check is unavailable. I have changed the sheet protection to allow cell formatting, but this did not solve the problem. The people typing into these cells want to use spell check and I cannot figure out how to make it available without leaving the whole sheet unprotected Lauren, here is one way, the macro will unprotect the sheet, check the spelling an...

Basic Question on autocomplete function
Hi everyone, my first time on the forum and my first thread. I apologize if this is already located on the forum here. I tried searching, but came up with many unrelated threads so I thought I'd give this a shot. I am trying to auto complete a link to another worksheet by corner dragging a formula over a ROW in one worksheet FROM data in the COLUMN of another worksheet. In other words: Worksheet 1: E9, F9, G9, should point to (respectively), Worksheet 2: C2, C3, C4 The auto complete formula function does not recognize what I'm trying to do. And I have to do this with t...

ExMerge Questions
I need to delete all messages with a specific attachment name from our Information Stores. I tried ExMerge having looked at a few tutorials/readmes/articles and it seems to be doing the necessary, however there are a couple of outstanding issues: Firstly, our current environment (Exchange 2003 SP2) started life years back as an Exchange 5.5 environment, and when I run the export phase, many of the PST files have names based on the random directory name used for the mailbox so rather than "Joe Bloggs.pst" I have "E76EC87.pst" which is not ideal. Second...

Counting the Number of Records That Exist Between 2 Dates
Hello all.... I have a table that has a few fields in it, including Project, Contractor, Start Date and End Date. I would like to run a query that shows how many Projects (rows) that a Contractor is assinged to that have over-lapping dates, meaning that if Contractor X has a Start Date of 1/1/07 and End Date of 1/31/07 on one Project and a Start Date of 1/15/07 and End Date of 1/25/07, it would show that there are 2 Projects for the Contractor that are over-lapping. Thanks. Jeff G Perhaps something like the following SELECT P1.Contractor , P1.Project , P1.Start , P1.End , P2.P...

Money99 Question
I recently started receiving the following error message; "Product Information: Money was unable to complete the operation. The Internet, banking, or brokerage server you were trying to contact encountered an error. Please try your call again later. (SMC)". Running Win98SE, and no changes to program settings. How do I correct? Thanks. I've seen a number of posts on this issue recently. You may want to contact support and verify if there is an issue going on with this version. "George" <gjb1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:0c4701c35c12$d08798e...

If-Then Statement #2
How do I do the 50-70 pound part? >50<70 ??? -- alan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alanf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1536 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26983 ...

Licensing question #3
Hi, I purchased more CAL for my Exchange 2003 (it is part of Small Business version), do I need to apply these new licenses somewhere in Exchange server? Thanks-Rob On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:12:01 -0700, Rob <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >I purchased more CAL for my Exchange 2003 (it is part of Small Business >version), do I need to apply these new licenses somewhere in Exchange server? >Thanks-Rob You do not need to put CAL's "into" Exchange, unless of course the answer is different for SBS, in which case you should double check with that partic...

EFT Payables #2
Is there a way to deactivate all EFT's in payable with one action? We need to create all checks instead of EFT's for one week. We have this option in payroll but we don't see it in payables. Thanks ...

Table question
I have WinXP. I created a Table in WordPerfect (6.1) and then opened it up in Word (2003) so I could send it to some people who only have Word. In both instances (WP and Word), there is a blank page at the end that I don't know how to get rid of. Doing Delete on the last table page, or Backspace on the blank page, doesn't work because the cursor is inside the table at the end. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message news:#udUI1CfKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I have WinXP. I...

Counting question #2
I have a range of cells that I want to 'count' if the number is greater than 0 but less than 6. The cell # is F33 where I want the answer. The range is: Q13:W13; Q17:W17; Q21:W17; Q25:W25; & Q29:W29. What formula would I use? I've tried several but I keep getting error answers. hi, =count(Q13:W13,Q17:W17,Q21:W17,Q25:W25,Q29:W29) >-----Original Message----- >I have a range of cells that I want to 'count' if the number is greater than >0 but less than 6. The cell # is F33 where I want the answer. The range is: >Q13:W13; Q17:W17; Q21:W17; Q25:W25...

microsoft publisher 97 #2
I have used publisher since I got my original computer....now with a new computer I was looking at getting the latest publisher installed.......I loved the old one and used it for every office need I had. but I am a little nervous about installing the new version......... 1. does it operate the same way....the same look and prompts, etc. 2. I tried microsoft word and just couldn't get the hang of it........ it is not as user friendly (to me) as publisher....... 3. what are the differences in old and new publisher versions........ thanks, Lward If you use endnotes and page notes - stay...

Exchange 2007 Send connector question
Hello all Testing out EX 2007 I have installed the mail, hub and CA role on one server and the Edge role on another server. I have alos created an edge subscription file and imported this file to the hub server, and i ra nthe start-edgesubscription and got a success. Now If i want to create any additional send connectors on the Edge server i get an error that says i can only run this command on an AD attached machine, also i cant modify any send connectors on the edge server. So i created a send connector on the HUB server configured it and then forced synchronization, thinking tha...