Standard toolbar icons suddenly missing

Using Excel 2002.  Experience level: Novice
========================
A co-worker came to me this morning asking for help.  The majority of the
standard toolbar icons in her Excel program are missing/blank.  When you
mouse-over you see the tool-tip, so I know they're there.  She states it was
working find last week.  Did a  quick search in the Excel 2002 support
section at Microsoft using "toolbars" as a search term, but only see
references to problems with custom toolbars.  I have not tried the Detect
and Repair option yet.

Other than that, any ideas?

TIA,
--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

0
Mike_Webb (49)

Mike

Can you get to Tools>Customize>Toolbars or right-click on the Toolbar and
"Customize"?

If so, select the Standard toolbar and "reset".

This action will delete any customizations done to the toolbars.

Failing this, with Excel closed out, do a file search on your computer for
*.XLB file.  When found, re-name it to something like *.XLOLD

Re-start Excel.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:24:59 -0500, "Mike Webb" <Mike_Webb@WhoopingCrane.org>
wrote:

>Using Excel 2002.  Experience level: Novice
>========================
>A co-worker came to me this morning asking for help.  The majority of the
>standard toolbar icons in her Excel program are missing/blank.  When you
>mouse-over you see the tool-tip, so I know they're there.  She states it was
>working find last week.  Did a  quick search in the Excel 2002 support
>section at Microsoft using "toolbars" as a search term, but only see
>references to problems with custom toolbars.  I have not tried the Detect
>and Repair option yet.
>
>Other than that, any ideas?
>
>TIA,

0
Gord
7/26/2004 3:58:50 PM
Thanks!  I'll give it a try.

Mike
> Mike
>
> Can you get to Tools>Customize>Toolbars or right-click on the Toolbar and
> "Customize"?
>
> If so, select the Standard toolbar and "reset".
>
> This action will delete any customizations done to the toolbars.
>
> Failing this, with Excel closed out, do a file search on your computer for
> *.XLB file.  When found, re-name it to something like *.XLOLD
>
> Re-start Excel.
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:24:59 -0500, "Mike Webb"
<Mike_Webb@WhoopingCrane.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Using Excel 2002.  Experience level: Novice
> >========================
> >A co-worker came to me this morning asking for help.  The majority of the
> >standard toolbar icons in her Excel program are missing/blank.  When you
> >mouse-over you see the tool-tip, so I know they're there.  She states it
was
> >working find last week.  Did a  quick search in the Excel 2002 support
> >section at Microsoft using "toolbars" as a search term, but only see
> >references to problems with custom toolbars.  I have not tried the Detect
> >and Repair option yet.
> >
> >Other than that, any ideas?
> >
> >TIA,

0
Mike_Webb (49)
7/26/2004 4:21:30 PM
Resetting the toolbar didn't work, so I renamed 3 found XLB files to
*.XLold, restarted Excel and we have all the icons back!

Thanks again!
Mike

> Mike
>
> Can you get to Tools>Customize>Toolbars or right-click on the Toolbar and
> "Customize"?
>
> If so, select the Standard toolbar and "reset".
>
> This action will delete any customizations done to the toolbars.
>
> Failing this, with Excel closed out, do a file search on your computer for
> *.XLB file.  When found, re-name it to something like *.XLOLD
>
> Re-start Excel.
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:24:59 -0500, "Mike Webb"
<Mike_Webb@WhoopingCrane.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Using Excel 2002.  Experience level: Novice
> >========================
> >A co-worker came to me this morning asking for help.  The majority of the
> >standard toolbar icons in her Excel program are missing/blank.  When you
> >mouse-over you see the tool-tip, so I know they're there.  She states it
was
> >working find last week.  Did a  quick search in the Excel 2002 support
> >section at Microsoft using "toolbars" as a search term, but only see
> >references to problems with custom toolbars.  I have not tried the Detect
> >and Repair option yet.
> >
> >Other than that, any ideas?
> >
> >TIA,

0
Mike_Webb (49)
7/26/2004 4:31:24 PM
Mike

Now the trick is to find which *.xlb file is the active one.

Do a search for *.xlb and note location(s).

Make a change or two to a menu or toolbar and close Excel.

When you have established which one is active, make a backup copy of it so's
you don't get burned again.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:31:24 -0500, "Mike Webb" <Mike_Webb@WhoopingCrane.org>
wrote:

>Resetting the toolbar didn't work, so I renamed 3 found XLB files to
>*.XLold, restarted Excel and we have all the icons back!
>
>Thanks again!
>Mike
>
>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Mike
>>
>> Can you get to Tools>Customize>Toolbars or right-click on the Toolbar and
>> "Customize"?
>>
>> If so, select the Standard toolbar and "reset".
>>
>> This action will delete any customizations done to the toolbars.
>>
>> Failing this, with Excel closed out, do a file search on your computer for
>> *.XLB file.  When found, re-name it to something like *.XLOLD
>>
>> Re-start Excel.
>>
>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:24:59 -0500, "Mike Webb"
><Mike_Webb@WhoopingCrane.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Using Excel 2002.  Experience level: Novice
>> >========================
>> >A co-worker came to me this morning asking for help.  The majority of the
>> >standard toolbar icons in her Excel program are missing/blank.  When you
>> >mouse-over you see the tool-tip, so I know they're there.  She states it
>was
>> >working find last week.  Did a  quick search in the Excel 2002 support
>> >section at Microsoft using "toolbars" as a search term, but only see
>> >references to problems with custom toolbars.  I have not tried the Detect
>> >and Repair option yet.
>> >
>> >Other than that, any ideas?
>> >
>> >TIA,

0
Gord
7/26/2004 11:35:21 PM
Hi Mike,
Thanks for telling Gord and us your success,  always good to hear when
the results when multiple suggestions are involved or solutions are more
complicated than normal.

One you have fiddled around to have things exactly as you had or want them.
You might want to print the window using the Print Key which only puts to the
clipboard.     Alt+PrintKey  then paste into
Word  and actually print,    so that you have a record of what you have.
Same for the desk top     PrintKey  then paste into Word and print it.

Some additional tip can be found on my
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/toolbars.htm
and   your toolbars file should be included in your backup
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm

If you restore a toolbar from a backup do it with Excel down and restore
it to the same place.     If you mess up the toolbars during your session
simply  open   the toolbars file from Excel  immediately.   When you close
Excel the toolbars file is always saved,  so if you close Excel you will have
to go to your bacup, work with what you have,  or start over.
---
HTH,

"Mike Webb" <Mike_Webb@WhoopingCrane.org> wrote ...
> Resetting the toolbar didn't work, so I renamed 3 found XLB files to
> *.XLold, restarted Excel and we have all the icons back!

0
dmcritchie (2585)

Bloomberg on toolbar
Having downloaded a Bloomberg product I found that Bloomberg have added their own Icon onto the spreadsheet toolbar. How can I remove this ? - Right-click on the toolbar. - Select Customize... - The Customize Window will appear. - Drag/Drop the icon off the toolbar area. HTH, -- Gary Brown gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this Post Helpfull to you?''. "Peter O'S" wrote: > Having downloaded a Bloomberg product I found that Bloomberg have added their > own Icon onto the s...

Manufacturing Standard Cost
Hello, We are running GP 8.0 SP 2 with Manufacturing. We have a standard cost revalution journal entry is there a way to find which standard cost changes make up this journal entry? Thanks for any help you can provide. -- Thanks, Brian ...

excel doc suddenly shows up unexpectedtly
An excel document showed up in my docs labeled envelopes and labels with all my outlook contact info in it. Im wondering how this happened, since its nothing I did. Does anyone know if this cause for alarm or not. Have I been hacked? As a side note, I have been trying to get this info. into envelopes and labels contact sheet with no success. Thanks ...

Outlook Desktop Client Missing Options
We are a few days away from the start of a pilot program for Microsoft Dynamics CRM when we hit a small problem. One of the requirements was that any user be able to create and maintain teams. We did this by making the "Teams" area in "Settings" | "Business Unit Settings" part of the Nav Bar. This works beautifully in the Web Client and Outlook Laptop Client. But in the Outlook Desktop Client the "New" and "More Actions" buttons are missing. The end result is that the users cannot create a new team or add/remove users from other te...

HIPAA Standards
Hello, Does Microsoft Dynamics CRM support HIPAA Standards for electronic transactions ? Take care, Dave Hi, MS CRM dont provide HIPAA built in functionality. Biztalk may provide it and MS CRM can be integrated with Biztalk. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan Email for direct contact: imumar at gmail dot com "Dave Banerjee" wrote: > Hello, > > Does Microsoft Dynamics CRM support HIPAA Standards for electronic > transactions ? > > Take care, > Dave > No, CRM does not provide any...

A user suddenly has a lot of contacts in Outlook
Hi! We have a problem where a user has recently installed CRM 3.0 Desktop client for Outlook. He does not own any records in CRM, neither accounts or contacts. He now reports that he has a lot of CRM contacts in his Outlook contacts. The default is to only syncrhonize contacts you own or for downloaded parent accounts. So I can't quite understand what has happened? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Hi Pk, I'd check two points: (1) The User Account that installed the CRM Client, if the Client was installed as Administrator then there is a chance that CRM is synch...

Outlook icon in taskbar
After upgrrading to Windows 7 when new nail nessages arrive I get small icons in the taskbar. When I run the mouse over them they disappear. Why do they show up and how do I prevent this? Hi topcat, Which version of Outlook is installed? -- thecreator "topcat" <topcat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4CC3CA9-48A7-4B4B-BE0B-9BC2616967D9@microsoft.com... > After upgrrading to Windows 7 when new nail nessages arrive I get small > icons > in the taskbar. When I run the mouse over them they disappear. Why do > they &...

Creating typed dataset from an industry standard schema
Has anyone run into problems creating typed datasets from complex schemas? I am attempting to create a Typed Dataset in Visual Studio .Net from a .xsd schema file for a industry standard web service. I have run the schema through XML Spy and validated it with no errors, but when attempting to generate a dataset, I keeping getting a 'undefined data type' error. The schema is quite large so I don't know if that is causing the problem or if it is just something odd about .Net's parser. Here is the section of the schema causing the problem. There are only two spots where the...

Missing items on Stock Count
I have a handful of items that are not showing up on my stock count entry. The items have a zero quantity on hand, item type is sales inventory, and they do not have a lot or serial number. These items have been on the stock count before. Why are they not showing up now? Do you reuse your stock counts or create them each time? Do you have multiple sites defined? It is possible that the item/site record was deleted for one or more items at one or more sites. Use the Site Maintenance screen to assign all items to all sites (it does not over-write any existing data) and try to crea...

Toolbar 11-01-07
I have converted access 2003 to access 2007 with a customized toolbar. my toolbar is shown like a button and i need to click on it every time i use it. how can i make it shown with all its buttons? ...

menus and toolbars disappearing in excel 2003
Hi, I have MS Office 2003 in a Windows XP Pro (SP2) laptop which I keep updated. I have noticed that when a spread sheet is opened in the laptop, the menus and toolbars of the sheet disappear after some time (a minute or two). I have tried various things: ALT-v, ALT-c ALT-u but nothing seems to work. Only CTRL-o and some other CTRL functions seem to work. Anybody know where I should start debugging the problem or what the problem exactly is? thanks, Sam. -- Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging...

Auto Review Toolbar
Does anyone know how to turn off the auto reviewing toolbar function? Whenever I open a spreadsheet from someone else the toolbar automatically pops up. It happens in both Excel and Word and I just want to turn it off. Thanks. I get enough of these files, Dave, that I've added a button to my custom toolbars to facilitate dealing with them. FWIW: Sub KillReviewingCustProps() Dim x As DocumentProperties Dim Counter As Integer Set x = ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties For Counter = x.Count To 1 Step -1 If Left(x.Item(Counter).Name, 1) = "_" Th...

Mysteriously missing mailitems
Outlook 2000 Exchange 2000 Right .... one of my users has done something inexplicable. She was attempting to move a whole load of old mail items from her "Deleted Items" folder into a subfolder of the 'Deleted Items' folder (Type = 'Folder containing mail and post items'). She was using the "Move to Folder" dialogue, and she says that she definitely clicked on the right folder. However, no items can be seen in the source or destination folders. I am completely mystified. Just in case she was wrong in her conviction, I did a search for the mail items (on...

objects missing in exixting worksheets
When i open a worksheet i don't see the pictures anymore! yhe place is still there and moving it a bit bring up the picture. when i scroll the sheet/page to half of the picture and back that part of the picture is away and not automaticly coms back ...

standard deviation
I am making a simple bar graph with two data sets that I want to compare. I want to have the error bars represent the SD rather than % or something else. All I can get it to do is put the same bars on both data sets, which is not correct. I have calculate the SD and know that it is not the same for both sets. Any help would be appreciated. Clem In both XL 2003 and XL 2007 it is possible to use a column of data fro your error bars (actually two columns: one for positive, another for negative) Have a look again in the dialog. If needed come back but tell us what version of E...

Mail Enabled Folder Icons
Hello, I have recently setup an Exchange 2003 server running on Windows 2000. I have setup a mail enabled folder in exchange that accepts external mail, this works fine, the problem I have is some of the external items are displayed as Post items instead of mail items, which means when a user tries to reply to the mail, they end up posting to the public folder instead of replying to the sender. Does anyone know whats causing this? Any help would be appreciated. Regards, Rob Rob wrote: > Hello, I have recently setup an Exchange 2003 server running on > Windows 2000. > I have setu...

Outlook Menu Toolbar
My Outlook 2003 has suddenly lost its menu bar (i.e. no more File, Edit, View etc. menus). Also, the Standard toolbar I had is gone. I am not aware that I changed or fiddled anything with the menu bar, it just disappeared when I started up Outlook today. Any idea what happened and how I can get the Menubar back? Right click on the space that the menu left and select the toolbars you need again. If that doesn't work, locate outcmd.dat and rename it to .old. For details see http://www.msoutlook.info/question/19 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring M...

standards in visio
hi is there any standard for designing network in visio? thanks visio doesn't design networks it assists people in documenting them. no, there are no standards. al "kyan" <gheysar_k@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eHRQFIZPFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > hi > is there any standard for designing network in visio? > thanks > ...

Missing send button
After installing MS Office 2000 on my new computer, Dell Dimension, XP, while in Outlook I'm not able to send an email. There is no "send" button on the toolbar. Also, under Actions, there is no option to send new email. What does it say, re version, under Help/About Send/Receive is under Tools Have you setup/imported any accounts? or was this an upgrade? David "cece" <ceceb@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message news:079601c35274$3adc0e90$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After installing MS Office 2000 on my new computer, Dell > Dimension, XP, while in Outlook I'm n...

missing 'master' worksheet
Hi, I have a 'master' worksheet which is copied and used for all orders. ie each time an order is placed data is put into the 'master' sheet and a new worksheet is created. questio is I can't see this 'master' worksheet and I wish to change some of the layout. any ideas how to view it?? thanks How do you create a new order from it if you can't see it? Do you have a button or something? Try going to Format-->Sheet-->Unhide. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

MyCompanyWeb Icon
We just finished migrating to Windows 2008 SBS x64 and currently doing the sweeping and cleaning up. First item is users are requesting is to eliminate the "MyCompanyWeb" icon that gets regenerated whenever the desktop gets restarted even they delete it. I am assuming this is GPO setting. Thanks for your help. Regards, Ramon This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_03F5_01CA77E4.ED066AB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Windows SBS User Policy --=20 Cris Hanna [SBS...

Toolbar options
Outlook has a convenient button that allows one to "Insert Horizontal Line" when composing an HTML e-mail. I find this very useful when I want to separate sections of an e-mail. I use Word as my e-mail editor but this option is not on the Word toolbar. I have looked through all the "customize" options to add this command to the Word toolbar but I have not been able to find it. How is this done? If Word doesn't have a button that can be added to the toolbar to "Insert Horizontal Line", is there an easy way to use the keyboard to do this (a macro, for exampl...

Why Micorosoft Money only have Standard in Canada? What is the different between Candian Standard Edition and the U.S.?
Hi, everyone; I live in Canada....... I wanting to get the Microsoft Money Deluxe or maybe Premium Edition... Because I do a little Stock Trading myself.. and wanted to use to Stock Trade Tracker... However, in Canada they only have the "Standard Canadian Edition".. Can't find any Deluxe or Premium up here.... The only way is I have to buy it through Ebay from someone down in the United States... What is the different between the Candian Standard Edition and the U.S. one anyway? ...

Standard C++ Library
is it true that Standard C++ Library is pretty much include functions similar to the following java packages??? java.io java.lang java.util http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ct1as7hw(VS.80).aspx It seem to me the Standard C++ Library have headers to mainipulate string / characters, doing I/O, and data structure like Stack, Queue, HashMap, Vector, time, bitwise operation, exception, iterator on a collection ... etc which pretty similar to above "very core" java package So there are 3 types of library / header in C++? CRT (C runtime library) Standard C++ Library Platform S...

Toolbars spontaneously appearing
Hi all, I'm using MS Office 2003 on an XP OS. Whenever I start Word by double clicking the shortcut to a document that I have previously saved to the HDD, I find that two unwanted toolbars appear in the middle of the open window. Toolbars that I have never used. Nothing I do seems to stop them from appearing each and every time I open this document. What's up with that? Hope someone can give me some good advice that will eliminate them permanently. All assistance is greatly appreciated, Cheers Buck ...