Sr. Citizens Question, Please

Hello,

Embarrased to ask something so simple, but am in my 70's now, and haven't
used Excel in quite a whle.

Have a long column "A" of numbers.

Would like to create an adjacent column, B, with each number in the first
column A being divided by, e.g., 10.
(and showing up in this adjacent B column)

So, I select the first column, and now what, please ?

Much thanks,
appreciate the help.

Bob

0
rgsros (38)

And here's a senior citizen answering.

Select B1 and enter the formula
=A1/10
hit enter

select b1 again and note the little black box (Fill handle) on the bottom
right hand corner.
Double click it and the formula will fill down as far as there are data in
column A

Mike
"Robert11" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Embarrased to ask something so simple, but am in my 70's now, and haven't
> used Excel in quite a whle.
>
> Have a long column "A" of numbers.
>
> Would like to create an adjacent column, B, with each number in the first
> column A being divided by, e.g., 10.
> (and showing up in this adjacent B column)
>
> So, I select the first column, and now what, please ?
>
> Much thanks,
> appreciate the help.
>
> Bob

0
MikeH (222)
10/11/2008 2:49:01 PM
Don't select the Column A.
Select the first cell in Column B that is adjacent to the first cell in
Column A that contains your first value.
Say that first row was 5, so type this formula in B5:

=A5/10

After you enter the formula, click back into B5.
Hover your cursor over the lower right corner of the cell,
until the cursor changes from  fat white cross to a skinny black cross.

Then just *double click*.

This will automatically copy the formula in B5 all the way down Column B,
as far as there is data in Column A.
--
HTH,

RD

"Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Embarrased to ask something so simple, but am in my 70's now, and haven't
> used Excel in quite a whle.
>
> Have a long column "A" of numbers.
>
> Would like to create an adjacent column, B, with each number in the first
> column A being divided by, e.g., 10.
> (and showing up in this adjacent B column)
>
> So, I select the first column, and now what, please ?
>
> Much thanks,
> appreciate the help.
>
> Bob

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
10/11/2008 2:56:58 PM
Hi,

Much thanks.
Appreciate it.

Bob

----------------------
"Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Embarrased to ask something so simple, but am in my 70's now, and haven't
> used Excel in quite a whle.
>
> Have a long column "A" of numbers.
>
> Would like to create an adjacent column, B, with each number in the first
> column A being divided by, e.g., 10.
> (and showing up in this adjacent B column)
>
> So, I select the first column, and now what, please ?
>
> Much thanks,
> appreciate the help.
>
> Bob

0
rgsros (38)
10/11/2008 3:38:46 PM
This may not be what you want or need, but just in case...

If you really wanted to end up with the values in column A divided by 10, you
could:

Put 10 in an empty cell
Edit|copy that cell
Select the numbers in column A that should be changed
Edit|paste special|click divide and values
then clear that cell with 10 in it.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Help with Regexp, please
Hi, The regular expression (\d{15,16}) matches a substring in a cell. I want to extract the remaining part of the cell ie. from the character after the matched substring till the end of the string in the cell using a regular expression. Is it possible to do this? Thanks in advance for the help. Regards, Raj Raj, with abcd15,16xyz in a cell the code below abstracts abcxyz. Maybe you can use this as a basis to develop your code Function GetSubstring(S As String) As String Dim re As Object Set re = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") re.Pattern = &quo...

Migration and rename question
I have an NT4 domain with Exchange 5.5. I need to upgrade the domain to Windows 2003 and Exchange to 2003 enterprise. Our current domain name is a name our company hasn't used in many years and I would like to change to our current name as well. I've done quite a bit of research and found very detailed instructions on doing each of these tasks individually, but not all together. Does anyone have any advice on the best approach to take in order to accomplish this? Thanks for any help. You will need to create a new Forest and do an Inter-org migration. This is much more compl...

outlook2000 sr-1
I am installing software (outlook 2000 sr-1) included with my dell axim x-5. When I attempt to open outlook I recieve an error message which reads: (cannot start microsoft outlook. Outlook cannot be configured because administrator priveledges are required for you to install some types of software on this computer. Before you can use outlook, you must either log on as an administrator and finish configuring outlook, or ask your systems administrator to configure Outlook e- mail support for you.) 1) My operating system is windows xp home 2) I am logged on as administr...

Vista questions
Hi, My father passed away recently and I received his laptop (with Vista Home Premium pre-installed) as a part of my inheritance. The problem is that the hardware is exclusionary. That is, the manufacturer made it so that all other operating systems are prohibited and I can't install any other operating system on it. As there is a sentimental value attached to the computer I prefer not to sell it, but so far the experience was frustrating and a reminder why I stopped using Windows in the first place. Below are some questions, solutions to which, would help make my ...

Please help finding my .xls files that have gone missing
Office97 - Excel97 - XP SP2 I did something to make my .xls files disappear. They're all there. I can see them with Explorer. I can send them to work and they're okay there. When I [now] try to open any .xls file I get "Windows cannot find 'C;\<path>\x.xls'. Make sure you typed etc...". Last night all was well - then I must have done something to corrupt Excel from starting up. I had been working full-screen then not full-screen. I had been toggling Options to for different effects. One was "Ignore other apps..." so that I could have side-by-side/al...

Backup question

Outlook 2000 SR 1
Hi Getting an error when sending mail locally and externally only Receiving mail is fine Error - The smtp server was not specified please try again Any ideas? Did you go into your POP/IMAP account(s) and retype the SMTP server name? "Jack" <jackmartintan@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:407146b6$0$4574$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi > > Getting an error when sending mail locally and externally only > Receiving mail is fine > > Error - The smtp server was not specified please try again > > Any ideas? > > Yes have done that &q...

a question and a question

An unofficial FAQ for this newsgroup is available at http://umpmfaq.info. The source FAQ was last updated Wednesday, January 12, 2005. You may save yourself and those willing to spend their time helping you both time and hassle by consulting this resource before posting what may already be a FAQ. The unofficial FAQ answers 162 of the most frequently asked questions in this newsgroup. Note that only a limited number of FAQ items have been added or modified for Money 2005--those that are derive from my limited experience with the product and on very high profile items in the newsgroup. If you ar...

OWA question #21
Currently, we have exchange 2003 frontend(owa) residing on a dmz, and accesses the exchange 2003 backend using RPC over https through a pix firewall. Usability issue, and quite an annoying request. We have a "manager" type of person, who logs into OWA, double clicks an email, and let's say it has an attachment, an excel document. He wants to spawn it it from OWA, instead of saving it to the desktop, and work on it, and have the contents of what he alters saved back to that attachment. He doesnt want to save it to his desktop, alter the data, then upload the alt...

Right click in Outlook 2000 SR-1
The menu doesn't appear when right clicking on messages. There is no problem right clicking in any aother application or with the Windows 2000 OS. ...

Printing question using 2003
I create flyers for my theater group on my home computer and then take them to another location to print the flyer on a new large-format printer. We have been having problems having the large-format printer print the file as a 18"x22" or other desired large size poster. It wants to print as it would on my home printer...like a group of six sheets that have to be taped together. Won't Publisher allow you to create in a letter size format (8.5"x11") and then automatically expand all text boxes, graphics, clip art, word art, etc to fit the enlarged large-format pr...

Formula Question

Public folder questions
I've got a couple of questions: 1. Is there a way to export a listing of what folders exist and which users have what role for each folder? 2. Is there an 'ExMerge' type utility to pull the postings from Public Folders into something like a .pst file? Thanks for any help. Mike Lawson Mike, As far as item 1, check out this post on the MS Exchange Blog. It discusses the various public folders tools MS has. http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/11/05/252979.aspx -- -- Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us Http://www.briandesmond.com "...

XmlArrayAttribute Question
Hi, I have a requirement to generate Xml which has to match Xml generated by a J2ee system, requirement is as follows, public class Person { public VehicleSet aSetOfVehicles; } public class VehicleSet { [XmlArrayItem(ElementName="Car",Type = typeof(Car))] [XmlArray("VehList")] public IList Vehicles {...} ...... } THe xml that gets generated by .Net version is as follows, <Person> <aSetOfVehicles> <VehList> <Car></Car>... I Donot want to put element VehList (J2ee xml doesnot have it), It should be, <Person> <aSetOfVehicles...

Remove Digital Signature--Please help
I submitted a paper to a journal and they couldn’t upload it in to their system because of digital signature. They see a non-validated digial signature on the word document that is preventing them to put into their database. They tried to delete the digital signature but without success. I opened the word file on two different computers and there are no signatures attached to the document that I can see when I use office button>>Prepare option. Is there any other way to remove the digital signature? Please help...thanks so much. ...

Quick Question About Scheduling an Outlook Appointment For Download
Is it a violation of any Microsoft copyrights to allow a user to download an Outlook appointment file from your website? blanski@gmail.com <blanski@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it a violation of any Microsoft copyrights to allow a user to > download an Outlook appointment file from your website? No, but what do you mean by "an Outlook appointment file", since Outlook has no separate file for appointments? Do you mean an iCalendar file? -- Brian Tillman ...

worker thread questions
I have two questions about implementing a worker thread. 1 - Is it OK to dynamically allocate memory in a worker thread? 2 - What is the best way to end a worker thread before the thread function has completed? In regards to question 1, if dynamic allocation is possible, I would need a way to release memory if the user terminated the process prematurely (closed the dialog box). Thanks in advance. 1. yes. 2. it's best to signal the worker thread to stop, and write it in such a way that it can respond/cleanup/exit in a reasonable amount of time. Although if the user terminates the process,...

Pickfolder question
If I run Set olfolder = olapp.GetNamespace("MAPI").PickFolder and select a folder, the TypeName is always "MAPIFolder". Is there a property or method to determine if it's an inbox item and not a contact or journal item? See the object browser (f2) for what properties are available for a MapiFolder object. The one you're looking for is DefaultItemType. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en> Am Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:32:34 -0800 schrieb ...

How do I update my Outlook (standalone) to SR-1?
I use a stand alone copy of Outlook on my laptop with Windows ME. I would like to update the outlook to SR-1 so I can use some Franklin Planning Software I have. Any links or help is much appreciated. Jed Go to http://www.microsoft.com/office/downloads and click on the option to "Check for updates" and allow it to find what updates you need. It will automatically install the ones you select. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. &...

OWA setup questions
I am running Exchange 2003, and am trying to find documentation on setting up OWA. I've seen mixed info on where you can put OWA. Here are my questions: 1) Can I put it on a separate IIS Server (just OWA), or does it have to be on the Exchange Server? 2) I understand I can set up a front end server, but then a need a second license, right? 3) I want my users to be able to connect through the internet, but obviously I have concerns about security. Is anyone actually running OWA on just one Exchange Server (without using a front end server)? Thanks, Troy OWA has to be installed...

CScrollView question
I have created a window derived from CScrollView. When the logical view is larger then the display view, I get both horiz and vert scroll bars. The scrolling works fine with the scroll bars. I want to programatically controll the scrolling so how can I make the scroll bars disappear and still have the scrolling functionality? In other words, I want to access to the scroll bars in CScrollView and hide them with ShowWindow(SW_HIDE), and then still be able to scroll by sending scroll messages programatically. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. Aeshkar I did this a few years ago. What ...

Find/Replace Question
This happens almost everytime I use Find/Replace, but I just deal with it. Maybe you guys can set me straight on this. I have the following formula: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($AB$14:$AB$1008)-ROW($AB$14),4)=0),--(ISNUMBER($AB$14:$AB$1008)),--($AB$14:$AB$1008>0)) I want to replace all of the ABs with AK. So what I do is highlight the formula, (Excel 2007) go to Home>Find and Select>Replace> Find what: AB Replace with: AK Replace>Close However, after I have done that I have to hit enter, and then I have to hit UNDO to get the desired result. There must be so...

CSR and SR Lookup
How can I add lookup attributes to the main Account Form that look up values from the user table. I want to be able to assign a CSR and an SR to each Account. These value already exist as users in my system. Hi, I am afraid you cannot achive your desired funtionality. Having lookup mean creating new relationship between account and user but you cannot have new relationhships btw system entities. The only way is to define a new custome enity and than have relationship of both account and user with that entity. This will require more clicks to end user to select CSR or SR. You may contac...