Sorting Possible avoiding cell Formulas?

Just wanted to know if it is Possible to sort omitting any formul
activity?

I know, sounds crazy and doesn't make much since, but when I attempt t
sort, the data resorts back to the original position based on som
formulas I am using.

So I guess the main question would be, Is it possible to freeze formul
activity to allow general sorting?  If Not, I can surely understand Wh
...Thanks In Advance..

--
Mh
Mhz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3598

Kind of Replying to myself here ...:rolleyes:

The only way I have found to do this so far is to create another shee
that references the sheet I am trying to sort with the formulas an
recreate the data without the formulas.

eg.

In Sheet3:

=IF(Sheet2!A2<>"",Sheet2!A2,"")

I now can sort In sheet3 without the Formulas In Sheet 2 Re-Sorting...

Still Welcome any other Input...Thank

--
Mh
Mhz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3598
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56174

You could Copy your data and Paste Special>Values in another column or row and use that as your sort key

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Mhz" <Mhz.2azvzs_1152980709.9626@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Mhz.2azvzs_1152980709.9626@excelforum-nospam.com...

| Just wanted to know if it is Possible to sort omitting any formula
| activity?
|
| I know, sounds crazy and doesn't make much since, but when I attempt to
| sort, the data resorts back to the original position based on some
| formulas I am using.
|
| So I guess the main question would be, Is it possible to freeze formula
| activity to allow general sorting?  If Not, I can surely understand Why
| ..Thanks In Advance...
|

| --
| Mhz
| Mhz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35980
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=561744

0
nicolaus (2022)
7/15/2006 5:07:26 PM
You are so correct Niek, As simple as it sounds, I couldn't think o
that :eek:

One more solution to that sort situation...  Thanks Alot :

--
Mh
Mhz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3598
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56174

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Formula to return the name of a tab?
We have a spreadsheet set up that pulls the minimum value from several different tabs. We are looking for a formula or a way to display, in the next column, which tab that minimum value came from. Does anyone have any ideas? You might check the Help files for information on the SHEETNAME function. Ed "Amanda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54F7CB4F-A621-4DB0-9963-56F0406EE8F1@microsoft.com... > We have a spreadsheet set up that pulls the minimum value from several different tabs. We are looking for a formula or a way to display, in the next...

Row names will not move with sort

formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily
formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily =NOW() or =TODAY() -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1065C8D9-220E-4071-AEEC-B3ECE6593D1D@microsoft.com... > formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily ...

Determine cells that drive conditional formatting?
Example: Cells A1:A4 have conditional formatting set up that states if they are equal to cell A10 they will be highlighted yellow. Is there a way to quickly see what cells drive conditional formatting? In other words, we can use Edit -> Go To Special to see which cells have conditional formatting applied; however, this doesn't show us that A10 is involved. Since there isn't a formula directly involved, we can't trace precedents/dependents. Can we only know that A10 is involved in the formatting of A1:A4 by selecting those cells and going into the conditional format...

sorts not sorting

Swap Cells
Is there an easy way to select two cells and swap them? Thanks, W Wolfe Depends on your definition of easy. Temporarily, click and drag the first cell to an empty cell. Click and drag the 2nd cell to the 1st cell. Click and drag the temporary cell to the 2nd cell. Depending on how far apart the cells are, it may be easier to use cut+paste rather than click-and-drag. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Multi-disciplinary business expertise + Technology skills = Optimal solution to your business problem Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005 In article <#WTIBH...

import- number- sort?

fix cell references
I often have to fix and then unfix cell references using the $ sign to fix and then find and replace to unfix. Is there a menu option to fix column / fix row / fix reference (and unfix). If there is I cant find it. Hi AK not AFAIK, however F4 is the shortcut key for this and takes you through a cycle of A1 - column & row relative $A$1 - column & row absolute A$1 - column relative & row absolute $A1 - column absolute & row relative would using a mixed absolute / relative reference solve your problem? Cheers JulieD "AK" <AK@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

text in cell shows up as ####

Cell.Find
Can anyone suggest an alterantive to Cell.Find or help me with the correct code please. Error message is: Active method of Range class failed The Cell.Find is run in spreadheet X Cells.Find(What:=SCN, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, _ LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False).Activate SCN is a value in spreadsheet Y I have tried being specific with Workbooks("Y").Cell.find etc etc but get error: Object doesn't support this property or method Need to lookup a value in spreadsheet Y and retieve a value in the cell next to the ...

sorting macro #3

Dumb question... how to create a Enterprise Formula Custom Field
Guys, I'm writing because I've tried and search but can't get it ... From PWA I created a Project Custom Field "MyField" of type Text with the formula "Hello World", I tried with " and '. When I open a project the field returns #ERROR. I published to see if magic happens, but nothing. I did the same with type number and formula 10, same result. So In the end, I can't get any formula to work. What am I doing wrong ... I googled with no success. Perhaps try opening the project and hitting the F9 button to refresh calculations? Does ...

New Line in Cell
Appol's in advance if this is really obvious. I have been given a spreadsheet and its looks as though somehow the person has been able to do carriage returns that create a new line in the same cell. For me it simply jumps to the next cell. Anyone know how to do the new line in cell please? Ta. Bill. Hold down the Alt key and press Enter at the same time. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 30, 9:05=A0am, "Bill" <b...@bill.com> wrote: > Appol's in advance if this is really obvious. > > I have been given a spreadsheet and its looks as though somehow the perso...

A validation of all cells in a row
I am trying to validate all cells in a row so the user can not go to the next row with out having an entry in each cell in the row. If a cell is left blank, I would like an error message to appear and the user returned to the row that wasn't fully entered. We are doing this on a worksheet. thanks If it's possible at all, it would require a VBA macro. And it would certainly not be very reliable. Perhaps a better approach is to do all of your data validation when the file is closed. But even that isn't very reliable. John Walkenbach For Excel tips, macros, & downloads.....

date formatting a cell
When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi you have to enter the date with delimiters. so you have to enter 2/6/04 If you want Excel to automatic convert numbers you have to use VBA. Have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm for an example event procedure Frank vos wrote: > When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my > numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi that is the way Excel handles date inputs. As Excel stores dates internally as numbers it does ...

Sorting checking register

Which formula to match string subset?
I'm being obtuse today and can't figure out which formula to use to match the beginning portion of a string. For instance, in a SUMPRODUCT or IF statement I need to be able to identify just those records where the first few characters of value in cell within a named range matches what is specified in the formula. Named Range = Freight Named Range=FtChg GR1234 125.00 2D9879 300.00 GR3467 50.00 SA0009 285.00 GR0099 ...

Is it possible to sequentially number the comments field
Anyone out there clever enough to tell me how to sequentially populate the comments field in cells... the problem I can see is that the cells are in a grid of A5-10 through to i5 to 10, I want them populating a5,a6,a7,a8,a9,a10,b5,b6 etc and when I get to i10 I want the sequence to carry over to the next sheet... Don't want much do I ;) TIA Nick It looks like rather than "sequentially" populating the Comment fields, you are simply putting the cell's address into the Comment field. If that observation is correct, then I do not know what you mean when you said "when ...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

Is it possible to host one domain in two servers?
Hello all, I'm currently working on adding a new server in a new branch location. Right now I have SBS 2003 and it's working fine. The people in the branch will just VPN in to retreive their emails. As that branch grows, there's a need for a faster email. I'm planning to add a new Exchange server on that branch machine. Is there a way to separate mailboxes to two different servers under one domain? For example: person1@domain.com will go to server1.domain.com and person2@domain.com will go to server2.domain.com. Thanks, Jerry Generally speaking, yes, Exchange definitely al...