Sort date by day and not year

Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year.

Ex:
Would like to sort like list below:
3/02/1997
3/15/2002
3/21/1996

Not like this:
3/21/1996
3/02/1997
3/15/2002

Please help and thank you for your help.
Kathy
0
anonymous (74717)

Hi
one way:
- add an additional helper column (lets ay B)
- insert the following formula in B1 (if column A stores your list):
=MONTH(A1)
- copy this formula for all rows
- sort with this helper column

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Kathy wrote:
> Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year.
>
> Ex:
> Would like to sort like list below:
> 3/02/1997
> 3/15/2002
> 3/21/1996
>
> Not like this:
> 3/21/1996
> 3/02/1997
> 3/15/2002
>
> Please help and thank you for your help.
> Kathy
0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/17/2004 7:53:44 PM
Use a "helper' Column, with the formula

=TEXT(MONTH(A1),"00")&TEXT(DAY(A1),"00")

And sort both columns with the new one as key

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Kathy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year.
>
> Ex:
> Would like to sort like list below:
> 3/02/1997
> 3/15/2002
> 3/21/1996
>
> Not like this:
> 3/21/1996
> 3/02/1997
> 3/15/2002
>
> Please help and thank you for your help.
> Kathy

0
nicolaus (2022)

How to Merge Date from 3 columns to 1
I have a spreadsheet where the date is spread over 3 columns I,J & K and I wish to merge them to Column B in the format dd-mmm-yyyy as shown below. B I J K 02-Feb-2003 02 Feb 2003 27-Mar-1999 27 Mar 1999 01-Apr-1978 Apr 1978 01-Jan-1998 1998 14-Jun-2002 14 Jun 2002 Where there is a blank for the day in 'Column I' I need it to copy as 01 and where there is a blank for the month in 'Column J' I need it to copy as Jan. Where all 3 column...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

How to sort account list?

Sorting

Row names will not move with sort

formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily
formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily =NOW() or =TODAY() -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1065C8D9-220E-4071-AEEC-B3ECE6593D1D@microsoft.com... > formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily ...

Microsoft Query criteria syntax for date() or today()
Essentially, I need MS Query syntax for a calculation based on today's date. I'm using Microsoft Query from inside Excel to extract data from an ODBC database. I want to download everything with a date of, say, in the last 60 days. I can't find any documentation for Microsoft Query and its Help doesn't seem to address this. I've tried Excel and Access systax such as >Date()- 60 and =Today()-60. I've tried copying in the SQL text created by Access. I don't know how to say "Today" or "Now" or "Date". Any help out there? ...

sorts not sorting

Highlight date nearest to TODAY()
Hi I have dates in a column in this format : 16/01/2010 16/02/2010 16/03/2010 16/04/2010 16/05/2010 16/06/2010 I'm trying to set the conditional formatting so that the nearest date to today is in bold. Can someone help with this? Grateful for any advice. Best Wishes Define nearest. If these were your dates: 15/3/2010 17/3/2010 And today was 16/3/2010 Which is the nearest date? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:iw0DNgAaMDoLFwgB@chayes.demon.co.uk... >...

Yearly Monthly break-down Cost Report
I need to report each month how many kids were in the program (New & Carry-over from previous month), number of days in program and cost (per diem). Time frame can be for calendar or fiscal year or past 2 months so Begin Date: (1-1-07) and End Date: (2-28-07) are variables entered. (example: Johnny "Date Placed" in program on 1-10-07 "Release Date" from program 2-5-07) so for January & Feburary how do I calcualate each month? January 10 - 31 and Feburary 1 - 4 (we don't count actual exit day)...HELP!!! THANKS!!! ...

import- number- sort?

SMTP Problems
We migrated from Exchange 2000 to 2003 in Jan. Recently for the past 5 weeks, the SMTP service has been hanging up and we can receive no external mail. The only way to rectify this has been to totally shut down and restart the server (SMTP service get so hung up can't stop and restart service). Have notices that it seems to happen every 5 days after having to restart server to get it run again. Thought problem was partly due to GFI application on server so removed it as well as removed a never used and not need mx record. But again SMTP hung up over the weekend and had to be ...

date formula #2
Hi i am trying for a way to work out how i can formulate the date, ie. if today is 17 November 2003, i want to import data from date 1 Novemeber 2003 how would i do this and what formulae would i use? any idea ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com =today()-1 GB "jaggosai" <jaggosai.x32sz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jaggosai.x32sz@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Hi i am trying for a way to work out how i can formulate the dat...

yearly calendar
I am in need of creating a yearly calendar. I want a 24"x36" poster with jan-dec 2008 visible. Plus I need to enter data for events and appointments. Am I able to do this with Publisher? Or do I need to use another program? I tried to change the time frames plus the page set up, but when I change it to poster size, it makes each month poster size. Any suggestions? What version Publisher? The below instructions will not work for 2007. Use a Design Gallery calendar. Setup your page, Arrange menu, grid guides, 3 columns, 4 rows. Select your calendar, click the wand, change the ...

Populating 7 day calendar with information
I wish to add a 7 day calendar to the switch board form, but I'd like to populate each of the day boxes with fields from a query. In essence the query locates things to do in the week. For ease of the user i'd like them to be able to see a 7 day calendar with the fields "ownerid","make","model" based upon the value in "next_due" (eg "next_due" is during that week) Thank you A Flex Grid Control will probably do what you want. Have a look at - http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/Otherdownload.asp?SampleName='Flex%20Grid%20Demo.m...

sorting macro #3

$$$$$Make $300+ A day Staying at home.$$$$$
You will be simply amazed by how easy it is to make money with this amazing program! You can easily make $300-$1000 a day or more just by typing data online in the comfort of your own home and we provide the data for you. You can do this program from anywhere in the world. Yes, this program is available worldwide! You can work at your own pace and work whenever you want. Sound like your dream job? Well, it certainly is for 10,000+ current members who are making $$300- $1,000s daily online with this system. Let me be the first to say everything listed on our site is 100% true. It's unl...

Excel date problems
Our company uses a report writer/formatter that creates Excel spreadsheets and then sends them as email attachments to specified users. The data being formatted is coming from a file shipped to the report software from an I5 environment. The data coming in is in the format mmddyyyy but some of the cells in the SS are being converted to ddmmyyyy. When this problem occurs it only happens for months 10, 11, and 12. These dates are being used in calculations so this is a big problem. We are using Excel 2003. Any ideas? ...

date formatting a cell
When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi you have to enter the date with delimiters. so you have to enter 2/6/04 If you want Excel to automatic convert numbers you have to use VBA. Have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm for an example event procedure Frank vos wrote: > When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my > numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi that is the way Excel handles date inputs. As Excel stores dates internally as numbers it does ...

Sorting checking register

sum if and between dates
Hi all I am trying to sum information based on the following conditions Cell E3 = Sum if = *Account A* and between *>= 20/6/05 and <=24/6/05* The Answer would be 279 A B C D E 1 19/06/2005 Account A 125 20/06/2005 2 20/06/2005 Account A 150 24/06/2005 3 21/06/2005 Account B 156 Account A 4 22/06/2005 Account B 135 5 23/06/2005 Account C 142 6 24/06/2005 Account A 129 7 25/06/2005 Account C 200 8 26/06/2005 Account A 300 -- mathewheys ---------------------------------------------------...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...