Slow Opening Shared Workbook

I have an Excel 2003 workbook that is shared. It's about 35 Meg in size. If
you open it in Excel 2003, it loads in about 15 seconds. I have one user that
is opening the file in Excel 2007 which takes about 45 minutes to open. Does
anyone have any suggestions as to how to speed it up? I've tried turning off
sharing with no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0
SteveH (21)

Steve,
This response isn't intended to be spiteful or hurtful, and hopefully
someone else will come along and offer something useful, but until then:

it may be a situation you have to live with barring:
retrofitting that system with Office 2003,
buying that user a faster system,
or POSSIBLY:
Get a (free) copy of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en
Install that on the system and set up a Windows OS in it (not so free -
right now you need a licensed copy of the OS to install)
After getting the basic 'machine' set up, install a (licensed) copy of
Office 2003 on it and
Have your user work with the difficult file in the copy of Excel on the
virtual machine.

or, (said with small grin on face) switch everyone to Excel 2007, have them
all open the file at the same time of day, and while waiting for the loads to
complete, gather in the break room for coffee and cake.

"SteveH" wrote:

> I have an Excel 2003 workbook that is shared. It's about 35 Meg in size. If
> you open it in Excel 2003, it loads in about 15 seconds. I have one user that
> is opening the file in Excel 2007 which takes about 45 minutes to open. Does
> anyone have any suggestions as to how to speed it up? I've tried turning off
> sharing with no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0
JLatham (219)

opening wrong version
When I open Money (08 plus) the wrong version opens. It doesn't open the last version I saved. So I have to restore the backup and search for the right one. Any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, Chiskes wrote: >When I open Money (08 plus) the wrong version opens. It doesn't open the >last version I saved. So I have to restore the backup and search for the >right one. Any ideas? If you mean you want a different file to open, use the Most Recently Used (MRU) list at the bottom of the File menu to switch. Money should open the MRU file next time. An alternative is t...

new workbooks
I have a user that when she opened a new workbook it opened as a seperate workbook so she could flick between them now when she opens a new workbook it opens in the same workbook. Hope this is not too confusing! Is there a setting somewhere that open workbooks as seperate workbooks Hi goto 'Tools - Options - General' and check 'Windows in taskbar' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Sal" <tracey.ryman@tandf.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ODb4mCRrEHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I have a user that when she opened a new workbook it opene...

Build is slow.
Hello. The environment is 6.0 vc++. When one DLL has 1700 source codes. Build is slow. debug start takes time. Please teach a good solution. Thanks, Buy a faster computer. ;) AliR. "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23DF80A8-723F-43A3-A5D9-7722EEA97578@microsoft.com... > Hello. > > The environment is 6.0 vc++. > When one DLL has 1700 source codes. > > Build is slow. > debug start takes time. > Please teach a good solution. > > Thanks, > "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Outlook Opens SLOWLY
My Outlook windows seem to open so much more SLOWLY than other windows. Could there possibly be something slowing it down? If so, what can I check and/or fix to take care of this? I have Outlook 2007 and Windows XP. Thanks in advance to whomever may be able to help. Candy Perhaps so. What antivirus software are you running? Has it always been slow or did this start recently? Do you have a LOT of data (emails, contacts, calendar, etc.) in it? What kind of machine do you have? How much RAM? Do you have a lot of other things running at the same time? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, ...

Slow Navigating Folders for attachments!!
Using Outlook-2002. Recently, since about a month ago, when I try to save attachments or attach files to messages and attempt to navigate to the folder of interest (after I click on the attach button), navigation is VERY slow - like if I click on a sub-folder, it may take over a minute for that sub-folder to open. It doesn't matter if other apps are running, or if I'm just changing to a different drive, or to the root directory. Everything takes minutes! It renders it useless :-( Any ideas? ...

Outlook 2003
2 questions on outlook 2003 which I recently installed: 1. It does not send and receive automatically upon executing outlook. I have to hit send/receive. Is there a way to make outlook send and receive automatically upon opening Outlook? 2. When I send a test message, it fails, evgen though I can send and receive email properly. I don't know where to look - everything seems to be working otherwise. Thanks, Steve D. 1. Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup Has the option to turn on 'Send immedietly when connected' -- Chinnasamy [495968] "Steve D." <sbdick@op...

Word 2003
It takes sometimes 10 seconds when I press crtl+c (copy) or crtl+x (cut) in a text inside Word 2003. Even if it is only one word it takes a lot of time just to copy or cut or paste it. That does not happen in Excel or Power Point only in Word. Please can anybody help me to solve this very annoying issue? Thank you very much indeed, Anderson From reading other postings on this forum, it seems that poor AddIns can cause this latency. I have also found that doing a clean up of the temp files seems to help as well. Hope this helps DeanH "Anderson" wrote: ...

Slow Slow Slow
When I click between different emails in my inbox, it takes ages for it to appear on the display. My internet connection is super fast. I have recently had to reinstall Office XP and I think a setting has been changed somewhere. I have an anti-virus but it never slowed it down like this before. To put in perspective, I've had 120 spams today and its took 37 minutes to delete them because of this problem. I have ran a virus check and its fine. Any thoughts on a registry tweak?? Cheers Carl Carl Sheldon <ccshell@courtlands5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > When I click between differe...

Finally I opened the cash drawer!
The devices I use are Epson TM-T88IIIP Printer and MS EP107 Cash drawer(it's a very old mode) and the cash drawer is wired to the printer directly. Firstly, I installed the windows driver for the printer and the cash drawer couldn't open. I called the support representative and they said the driver of cash drawer has to be OPOS and the cash drawer is driven by the printer, so the printer driver has to be OPOS. I didn't see any info about this in the manual. Maybe Microsoft should add it. Then, I installed the Epson OPOS driver and added the the printer and the cash drawer in...

How do I open attached jpgs
Out of the blue, Outlook 2007 won't let me open attached jpg files, whereas it has previously. I have auto updates installed. OS is Vista Home Premium. When I try to open an attached jpg file, the message I now get is: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." Morton See the following http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Mor...

Error opening a CSV from Web Browser after changing Region
We generate CSV files from our web application and most people can access them from Internet Explorer no problem (Excel starts within an IE window). However, some users in Denmark have reported that Excel does not load, all that happens is that the IE window appears briefly then disappears. I have done some testing and found that if I change my Regional Settings to Danish, it fails in the same way. However, if I then reset back to English, it still fails, even after a reboot. These are the symptoms:- 1) When region is Danish, saving a CSV file locally and double-clicking it within Windows ...

Outlook 2007 will only open in Safe mode
I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in safe mode. What else do I need to try. Also tried switch /resetnavpane Thanks. Is this a new problem or triggered by some event? "safetymom" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:eKlkhRJZKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in safe >mode. What else do I need to try. > > Also tried switch /resetnavpane > > Thanks. safetymom wrote: > I have tried disabling all the add ins and it s...

How to share calander
e2007 How do I share an existing calandar that is under Peoples Calendars - note - this was re-installed but I was the original creator of this calendar. Whose mailbox/where is this calendar located? If it’s a subfolder of a mailbox, others will need to add the mailbox to their profile. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sharesubfolder.asp -- -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO...

Show userform at spreadsheet open
How do you make a userform open when you open a spreadsheet? Can anyone help? Thankyou, Roger [excel2003] hi sheet or file? sheet..... Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() Load userform1 userform1.Show 0 End Sub lookup modal and modaless forms in vb help. file.... Private Sub Workbook_Open() Load userform1 userform1.Show 0 End Sub also see this site.... http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm regards FSt1 "Roger on Excel" wrote: > How do you make a userform open when you open a spreadsheet? > > Can anyone help? > &g...

a certain excel file hangs up when i open it
this certain file about 7mb always hangs up upon opening, it even takes almost an hour before it opens completely. when I click on any cells, it hangs up again. I tried to open the file on onther pc but the same behavior show up. I think there's something wrong with the file. It has a macro in but i disable the macro first before opening the file. Pls help, i'm about to explode. ...

slow loading, slow updating
I am using MS Money in a non-standard application. I am maintaining ledgersin checkbook fashion for 100 accounts, each set up as a separate checking account. Each of those has 3 transactions set up as automatic bill pays. Other than that, there are very few entries, averaging 6 per year at most. The program takes about 5 minutes to load. Corrections, such as posting bill payments, takes approx 10 seconds to cycle through: Open, edit, enter, wait........ Open, edit, enter, wait.....etc. I am not doing any online updating or anything like that. Is there anything I can do to speed this ...

Slow Viewing e-mails
Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? Found an answer to the problem in another post. Simply turning of the Messenger Integration fixed everything. /Johan >-----Original Message----- >Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. >Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It >worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? >. > On 25 nov 2003 Johan wrote: > Found an answer to the problem in another pos...

Excel 87 unprotecting a workbook password
I need your help- I have several workbooks and each workbook has eight (8) worksheets. Right now the workbook is password protecting prompting a person to enter a password to be entering when accessing the file. I want to change the workbook access to "read only" for any user. I want the system to prompt for modifying a workbook. I am the author of the Excel workbooks. I have access the workbook highlighted and deleted the password - clicked ok - saved the workbook - closed the workbook. When I tried opening the workbook up again it still prompts for a password. The fil...

opening a workbook on a cetain page
I have a worksheet as a main menu. I want this sheet to come up first when I open up my workbook. I realise that the worksheet you are on when its last saved is displayed first, I just wanted to know to overlook this and have a perminant 'first page' no matter what sheet you save last on. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You need VBA to do this. Use a macro like the following: Sub Auto_Open() Worksheets("TheSheet").Select End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "electric...

why GetFieldValue() is so slow
I get connected a vfp6 dbf file, and the total record number is about 50000, I want to export specified field value ( most of their type are string), and the result is correct, but it works toooooo slow, and I find the function GetFieldValue takes most time. my code is: while(!m_Rs.IsEOF()) { for(index=0; index < m_ListDest.GetCount(); index++) { strLine=m_pSortItem[m_pSortList[index]]; m_Rs.GetFieldValue(m_pSortList[index], strVal); strVal.TrimRight(_T(' ')); if(strVal == "" && m_isFilter) continue; strLine.Insert(0, _T('[')); ...

After clicking Reply the window opens but Outlook stays on top
When replying to an email Outlook usually opens the window on top of the program so the Outlook window is covered. However, occasionally when I click on Reply it opens a "reply" window underneath the Outlook window. I have to minimize Outlook to access the reply email. This is an intermittent problem. Does anyone know how to fix this? ...

Outlook 2003 Pro with XP Pro Too Slow with McAfee 2004
I just bought a new high-end brandname laptop with XP Pro. In it, I: - installed Office 2003 Pro, - installed McAfee Internet Security Center 6.0 2004 (including Firewall, AntiVirus, Privacy Service, Spamkiller), and - downloaded and installed all latest MS and McAfee software updates, by the books. Hoping to lessen intra-computer response, I opted out some sub-features in McAfee. The installations were easy. Without McAfee, Outlook 2003 was fast, reliable. After installing and working with McAfee, Outlook 2003 is miserably slow in most operations (send/receive, clicking on ema...

CRM 4.0
Hi, After upgrading the crm 4.0 all reports seems to be duplicated, but reports are working fine. when enter reporting services I can see 2 folders for the company, one that doesn't contain any report. So i deleted it. Reports are running fine in reports server. After this I get the following error when running the reports in CRM: An error has occured try this action again. if the problem continues, check Microsoft Dynamics CRM community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamics crm administrator Finally you can contact CRM support. ANY IDEAS??? Have...

Outlook Express Freezes on Opening
I'm not sure why, but it just started a couple days ago. But whenever I try to open Outlook Express, it just freezes up. I got it to open once or twice, and that was it. I have tried downloading every single update for Windows XP. I haven't installed anything new, except for those updates, so I don't know what would be causing it. But if anyone knows why any help would be greatly appreciated. Either reply to this post or email me at chazzy1864@yahoo.com Charlie Charlie wrote: > I'm not sure why, but it just started a couple days ago. > But whenever I try to ope...

URL links won't open in MS Outlook 2000
Hello, When I double click on the URL link sent in an email, Outlook 2000 won't open it. I run OS Win 2000 SP 4 with MS Office 2000. Does anyone knows a fix to this problem? Thanks Jacek I've got the same problem. Let >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >When I double click on the URL link sent in an email, >Outlook 2000 won't open it. I run OS Win 2000 SP 4 with MS >Office 2000. Does anyone knows a fix to this problem? > >Thanks Jacek >. > ...