Selection mode problem

I seem to have set Excel 2003 to a particular cell selection mode that I can't
seem to turn off.  My cursor is the big plus sign and when I click on any cell
in a spreadsheet - existing files or even an empty spreadsheet - the selection
mode stays active and no matter where I mouse to, the selection keeps expanding.
  No click, right-click, shift-click, alt-click, or any keyboard command I could
think of turns this off.  Nothing in the menus seems appropriate, and I can't
seem to find anything in the online help on this issue, so I'm obviously
confusing some terminology.  I would be very grateful for some advice.  Thanks!

Rick Trethewey

Richard

A common cause of this is that you are in "Extended" or "Add" mode.

If you see "EXT" or "ADD" down on the status bar try hitting F8 key a couple
of times.

F8 will will toggle you in and out of Extended mode.  SHIFT + F8 will put you
in "ADD" mode.

With the "ADD" mode you need to re-click the mouse.  This is used to select
non-contiguous cells and ranges without using the CTRL key.

With the "EXT" mode you just click once and drag.  All cells will be selected.

If you are using a wheel-mouse tap the wheel a couple times.

Also see David McRitchie's "Ghosting" at

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:26:20 GMT, "Richard L. Trethewey" <rtrethewey@aol.com>
wrote:

>I seem to have set Excel 2003 to a particular cell selection mode that I can't
>seem to turn off.  My cursor is the big plus sign and when I click on any cell
>in a spreadsheet - existing files or even an empty spreadsheet - the selection
>mode stays active and no matter where I mouse to, the selection keeps expanding.
>  No click, right-click, shift-click, alt-click, or any keyboard command I could
>think of turns this off.  Nothing in the menus seems appropriate, and I can't
>seem to find anything in the online help on this issue, so I'm obviously
>confusing some terminology.  I would be very grateful for some advice.  Thanks!
>
>Rick Trethewey

0
Gord
11/22/2005 11:16:27 PM
Thanks for the information.  It hasn't solved my problem.  I did manage to
change the cursor from the hollow plus sign to the filled plus sign and now the
selection is limited to one row or one column, but I can't break out of this
select mode once I click in the spreadsheet.  I'm stongly considering simply
re-installing the software and hoping for the best.  But if you think of
anything else, I'd be very grateful.  Thanks again!

Rick Trethewey

Gord Dibben wrote:
> Richard
>
> A common cause of this is that you are in "Extended" or "Add" mode.
>
> If you see "EXT" or "ADD" down on the status bar try hitting F8 key a couple
> of times.
>
> F8 will will toggle you in and out of Extended mode.  SHIFT + F8 will put you
> in "ADD" mode.
>
> With the "ADD" mode you need to re-click the mouse.  This is used to select
> non-contiguous cells and ranges without using the CTRL key.
>
> With the "EXT" mode you just click once and drag.  All cells will be selected.
>
> If you are using a wheel-mouse tap the wheel a couple times.
>
> Also see David McRitchie's "Ghosting" at
>
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:26:20 GMT, "Richard L. Trethewey" <rtrethewey@aol.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I seem to have set Excel 2003 to a particular cell selection mode that I can't
>>seem to turn off.  My cursor is the big plus sign and when I click on any cell
>>in a spreadsheet - existing files or even an empty spreadsheet - the selection
>>mode stays active and no matter where I mouse to, the selection keeps expanding.
>> No click, right-click, shift-click, alt-click, or any keyboard command I could
>>think of turns this off.  Nothing in the menus seems appropriate, and I can't
>>seem to find anything in the online help on this issue, so I'm obviously
>>confusing some terminology.  I would be very grateful for some advice.  Thanks!
>>
>>Rick Trethewey

Backup problem: files still in use after closing Outlook
Hi, I know the location of my Outlook .pst files and Business Contact Manager files. I use a great little program called Second Copy to backup all my data files. I've also downloaded and installed the MS backup utility. In either case, after I close Outlook and try to backup, I get error messages indicating that the file is still in use in some process. If I wait maybe 15 minutes or more and try again, the backup will usually work. Does anyone know why the files are not closing completely when I exit Outlook and what I can do? I just recently upgraded to Office 2007 and have beg...

strange problem
I am running exchange 5.5 on windows 2000. There are three users I deleted their mailboxes. I dont see the mailboxes in the Recepients container but I see the mailboxes in the mailboxes resource containter under server. When I try to delete those it says that object doesnt exist in the directory. Even in the veritas backup it picks up those mailboxes but cannot take the backup of those mailboxes and eventually says that the backup set failed. I dont know what is the reason and how to correct it. Thanks for your help. Khan ...

Run report on multi selected records.

Calendar items missing if Outlook 2003 is run in Cached Exchange Mode
We have more than a few users that have noticed items don't show up in the calendar but show up in OWA and on their PDA's. If we disable Cached Exchange Mode then the items appear?! We are running Exchange Server 2003 fully patched, Outlook 2003 fully patched in Windows XP Pro. There are no synch errors reported. This is very disturbing and I cannot determine what is causing the problem. Mailbox size is limited to 400MB. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA ...

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

Problem with DLookup on Report
I have a report called rptIDCardForm on which there is a control called Txt32 that has this Dlookup as its control source =DLookUp("[txtbusaddress1]","[tblIndividual]","[txtmemnbr]=Reports!rptIDCardForm![txtempmemnumber]") The report is based on tblindividual but I'm getting #Error in the control on the report. Can anyone see anything wrong with the above statement? Thanks Tony Have put brackets around rptIDCardForm and still get error? Tony "Tony Williams" <tw@invalid.com> wrote in message news:eUUUW7w5HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... &...

Slow Response with IE7
I recently set up a Dell desktop with Dual Core Processor. Has Vista Home Premium, 1GB memory. On a Dell forum I was told that 1GB is absolute minimum with Vista, more is better. Also told that slow system response in IE7 can be caused by the Phishing filter and having Protected Mode on. I turned off the Phishing filter - no improvement. Turned it back on and turned off Protected Mode - a vast improvement!! Finally, my questions: - Does anyone know why Protected Mode is causing me such slow response? Is there a fix for this? - I've read that Protected Mode is to prevent the in...

problem with display of categories in Calendar
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel When I assign a category to a new event with a specific time (as opposed to an &quot;all day&quot; event), the only thing that changes is the color of the font. There is no &quot;box&quot; of color such as that shown in the video on &quot;how to add events to categories.&quot; I am viewing the calendar in the monthly mode. The &quot;all day&quot; events appear in a brightly colored box depending on the category. But the &quot;timed&quot; events (which are clearly the m...

Data Type Problem
Hi Experts In VC++, the maximum range for data type is 10 bytes which is the range for long double __int64 has 8 bytes range. Is there any data type which has range more than 10 bytes? Is there any data type which has range 16 bytes If not supported, then can i create my own data type which range should be more than 10 bytes? if yes then please reply thanks If you need to play with huge sections of numbers, you can always use a unsigned char array, and use bit shifting backwards and forwards for calculation (complex). Otherwise, for numbers there are other string ba...

problem sending e-mail from web interface.
we can not send e-mail to customers form crm web interface any suggestion is appriciated. best regards. Timucin Devirmis timucind@mobitek.com The error message we get Error Description: An unexpected error occurred. Error Details: An error occurred attempting to dispatch the email : HTTP status: 403 Error Number: 0x80040216 Source File: D:\crm\Build\3297\src\platform\include\proxy\proxyutil.h Line Number: 47 Date: 11-12-2004 Time: 12:59:18 Type: Platform Error (2) Server: crm Query String: /Activities/Email/edit.aspx&pId={663CD6C1-FE11-48EB-B97D-5502A2FF20AC}&pType=1&pN...

Ungrouping Clip Art in Publisher New Problem
Using P2003 on XP I frequently break apart clip art to recolor or indicate diversity or take out unwanted elements. I do this both in Pub and PowerPoint and never have a problem. All of a sudden...in Publisher only, I ungroup an image, and it immediately declines in quality and gets these white lines around the individual parts and color quality fades. I do what I need to do and regroup but the original colors do not return and the quality is not restored. This does not happen when I use PowerPoint. Two weeks ago I did not have this problem but now I have it with every image I try to ch...

Select contact then hangs

Problem with server
Hello to all, I have a problem to start Exchange 5.5 in how much asks me to connect the server... if click on browse it comes to me outside this mess: "The list of microsoft Exchange servers computers is not available because not microsoft Exchange server computer could be located. Id not: c10312c8 " What wants to say and as I resolve the problem? Thanks to who will help me, Riccardo Any help from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152936 riccardo wrote: > Hello to all, > I have a problem to start Exchange 5.5 in how much asks me to connect the ...

Selecting rows from various sheets

select text in Calendar

Word 2007 doc , upload problem in CRM
Hi, I was trying to upload the word 2007 doc in Account with size only 10 KB and was getting error. There is no problem when you zip the word2007 doc. The error was like : "File upload filure ......". If i convert the word 2007 to office 97 or 2003 doc , i dont get any problem while attaching a document to Account . anyone having same problem? regards Aami Hi, anyone can check this one for me please? if it is the issue with office 2007? thanks Aami Hi Ronald, Thanks . When i open an account and upload the document in 2007 word. I get the following error : File Upl...

MS Money 2005 Trial Installation Problem
Everytime I try to open the the 90 day trial I get the following errors: 1. "Money cannot run because your system is currently unable to encrypt data at the required levels...." (I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 and IE 6 so this does not make sense) 2. I click "OK" go to the "File" on the menubar and get Runtime error! Program:.....gram Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe abnormal program termination" 3. I click "OK" and get Runtime error! Program:.....gram Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe ab...

Link select with a blast

Word & Excel Problems in Leopard
Here are some of my problems: 1. Blank sheet shows in Print Preview and in Print for new and old documents. 2. New Worksheet or Workbook is weird and unusable in any view. Page Setup does not work - keep getting "margins do not fit page size. If anyone can help with a solution I would be most grateful Joe Hi Joe - The first thing I'd suspect is that you haven't updated your printer driver even though you've converted to a totally new version of OS X. Check the mfr's web site for a new driver & run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions after installing it. Also, m...

Linking problem
Hi, when i try to compile my project i get the following error: LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "dsprop.lib" Where is this file? What should i do? Regards Emmanuel Emmanuel, > LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "dsprop.lib" > > Where is this file? What should i do? You need to update your platform sdk. http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/setuplauncher.asp -- Regards, Kobi Ben Tzvi "Emmanuel" <e951753@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:090101c37874$9fcc1f40$a301280a@phx.gbl... > > Hi, >...

Problem with date
Hi, I just converted my adp project from Access 2000 to Access 2003. In the 2000 version the date written on the SQL server are OK (mm/dd/yyyy). I use the Access 2000 in French and the SQL server is version 7 in English, and the date is ok on the SQL server. After the conversion the date on the SQL server is dd/mm/yyyy. I used Access 2003 in French and the same sql server that I used with the 2000 version. The regional paramater are the same, English (USA), but my workstation is a Windows French 2000 . The command that insert the data in the sql server is an INSERT INTO with a variable, ...

File search Dir() problem with large directories
Please somebody help me with my code. I am read almost every post regarding the changes to filesearch in 2007 and transfered my program over the to utilise the Dir() function . However when search large directories (files over around 100,000) the code falls over - losing network connection and stating invalid function. Could somebody advise if my code is at fault? Function findfilespath(pathname As String, tmpfilenametype As String, tmpdelete As String, tmpsource As String) Dim dbsanother As Object, rstfiles As Recordset Set dbsanother = CurrentDb Set rstfiles = dbsanother.OpenRec...