Search columns on multiple worksheets

In a workbook I have a worksheet for each month of the year.  How would I be
able to automatically determine whether the entry currently being made has
been entered in the same column previously on any of the worksheets?
(Similar to “Find” under Edit)  If so, would it be possible to indicate the
previously entered data by highlighting each duplicate cell?
0
Wally (164)

I suggest you start with Chip's site www.cpearson.com which has lots about
duplicates
Then come back with more detailed question
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"wally" <wally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In a workbook I have a worksheet for each month of the year.  How would I
> be
> able to automatically determine whether the entry currently being made has
> been entered in the same column previously on any of the worksheets?
> (Similar to "Find" under Edit)  If so, would it be possible to indicate
> the
> previously entered data by highlighting each duplicate cell?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
11/7/2008 7:58:32 PM
Hi,

Go to each of the other sheets and highlight the range where the data is,
suppose B1:B100.  In the Name Box, left side of the Formula Bar, enter
FirstColumn and press Enter.  Move to the next sheet and do the same by give
it the name SecondColumn.

Highlight the cells where you want the formatting to alert you to
duplicates.  Choose Format, Conditional Formatting, and pick Formula is from
the first drop down.  In the second box enter the formula

=OR(B1=FirstColumn,B1=SecondColumn)

Click the Format button and choose a color on the Patterns tab, click OK
twice.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"wally" wrote:

> In a workbook I have a worksheet for each month of the year.  How would I be
> able to automatically determine whether the entry currently being made has
> been entered in the same column previously on any of the worksheets?
> (Similar to “Find” under Edit)  If so, would it be possible to indicate the
> previously entered data by highlighting each duplicate cell?

*Keeping* multiple CToolbars docked in a single row during window resize
I have an MDI app with several toolbars docked in a single row (using DockControlBarLeftOf etc.) I am trying to prevent the rightmost toolbars from repositioning beneath the other toolbars in the same row as the main window frame is resized. Currently each toolbar is automatically repositioned on the left of the screen in order to prevent it going out of view as the window width shrinks. I would like to keep the toolbars as they are initially set; in a single row, during any window sizing operations. I still need to make the toolbars *manually* draggable, floatable and moveable by user mou...

Formulas: Keeping same row/column reference when columns are inser
I'm trying to create a formula that will return the value of a cell based on its row and column position in the spreadsheet even if I insert another column. Example Formula in Cell C2 is: =A2+B2. I insert a new column A. This moves everything one column right and the formula in cell D2 is now: =B2+C2. What I'd like is a formula that references the row/column position in the spreadsheet repardless of if columns are inserted or deleted so that after inserting a new column A my formula is the value of the new information in A2 & B2. I'd like the formula that moved to D2 to...

how do I display last two digits of a SSN in a separate column
I am trying to create a formula to take an existing list of 8 or 9 digit numbers and display the last two numbers in a separate column. Is this possible? Try =RIGHT(A1,2) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "katbone1" wrote: > I am trying to create a formula to take an existing list of 8 or 9 digit > numbers and display the last two numbers in a separate column. Is this > possible? Hi Use a formula =3Dright(A1, 2...

getting a column name
please help me with this one ok? lets say i have two columns. in the first raw i have the names: a1= daniel a2=bill the next two rows are numbers b1=10 b2=20 c1=20 c2=40 what i need to do is to know who got the 20 in the previous row. so the cell c3 will be "bill" because in the "b" row bill got "20" a in the "c1" cell. it looks like that ----3-----2-----1---- ----------Bill---Daniel--a ----------20----10-----b ---bill----40-----20----c please help asa -- mordo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mordor's Profil...

Disable Adding or Deleting Rows and Columns
Is there a way to disable a user from adding or deleting rows and columns but still be able to enter information and run macros? You can put a value in cell IV65536 to prevent the user from adding rows or columns. Deleting would require some VBA. MVP John Walkenbach has some here using "undo": http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip23.htm HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to disable a user from adding or deleting rows and columns but >still be able to enter information and run macros? >. > ...

Searching for Newsgroups

Looking Up the First Nonzero Value in a Column
Hello everyone, I am looking for a function that can return the first nonzero value in a column. I have a table that has months across the top and down the leftmost column. The data in the table are balances as of each month, essentially. It looks like this: J F M A M J 1 F 2 1 M 3 2 1 A 4 3 2 1 M 5 4 3 2 1 Is there a way to say, "Look in the column labeled "F" and return the first nonzero number"? Then the cell below it will need to be the number directly below that first number, and so on. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! Sincerely, T...

Search & replace in formulae

How do you make more columns for Charts when we need a 3 column c.
How do you make Charts from scratch? Hi not really sure what your question is. But for charts a good starting point would be: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html and http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Kate" <Kate@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:F85DECE4-AB9E-493D-A1BA-EDA8A9A63A89@microsoft.com... > How do you make Charts from scratch? ...

Search engine optimization

match up column A with column B
Hi, I have a column of numbers in A, and a column of numbers in B. There are 180 numbers in A (A1:A180) and 130 numbers in B (B1:B130). I need Excel to find which numbers match up between columns, e.g look down column A and find all the matching numbers in column B, then sort the columns so the matched numbers are next to each other (so I can see which numbers don't match between columns). (I have sorted the numbers from lowest to highest down the column, so they are in numerical order). I have no idea how to do this. :confused: Thanks for any assistance you can provide. :) -- ...

Can the left column panes be frozen when doing functional chart
Am doing a swim lane flow chart that is using many pages. Would be nice to freeze the functional names on the left of each page. Much like you can do in excel. Can this be done in Visio? ...

attach multiple files to an email
I am trying to send multiple small pdf files from Access 2003 via Outlook to different districts. The problem is, that I don't know the number of attachments -- it varies by district and by date sent. It could be 1 or it could be up to 30. In my email code I tried to loop through a recordset and then keep attaching the files, but it's not working. My code is as follows: Dim cnnLocal as new adodb.recordset Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset Set cnnLocal = CurrentProject.Connection rs.Open "select Path from tblTemp_ToDistrict where DistrictID = " & rsDistrict!OfficeID...

Creating multiple splits
Does anyone know how to create a spreadsheet with more than 1 vertical split? Cannot be done. Try Window>New Window then Window>Arrange. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 16 Apr 2007 09:28:37 -0700, Casmusse@gmail.com wrote: >Does anyone know how to create a spreadsheet with more than 1 vertical >split? Hey Gord, Is that a typo? <<<"Cannot be done">>> You THEN ... described how to do it!<bg> -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all...

Closing Multiple Activities 05-31-06
Is there an easy way to close multiple activities? In this case, a group of letters. No way to do this in the CRM interface ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "gwhite" <ghwhiteDELETE@pwco.com> wrote in message news:D7E04A8A-8193-4D1E-8E2D-F30DE2472EC7@microsoft.com... > Is there an easy way to close multiple activities? In this case, a group > of > letters. Is there a direct SQL way to do this? ie, Select all activity records for a user and close them? "John O'Donnell" wrote: ...

lookup over multiple ranges
I want something to the effect: =if(iserror(vlookup(a1,range1,2,false)),vlookup(a1,range2,2,false),vlookup(a1,range1,2,false)) but I want to do this without using an if iserror function. Is there a way to do this? An array formula perhaps? Thanks. it is possible, if both Range1 and Range2 contain same number of rows Step1 Define range name Range1 = $e$5:$f$10 Range2 = $k$5:$l$10 .. .. .. Lookup Value placed in H5 =vlookup(h5, indirect("Range"&sumproduct((e5:e10=h5)*1+(k5:k10=h5)*2)),2) <thedevilkaiser@gmail.com> ???????:1164072471.121573.61230@m73g2000cwd.googleg...

Outlook 2003 multiple issues. Does this thing work?
Had Outlook 2002. Worked fine. Upgraded to Outlook 2003. Now all kinds of problems. Uninstalled, reinstalled, ran updates, etc. still no help. Here are problems. 1. Crashed all the time with a ntdll.dll error 2. If I send in Rich Text or HTML format the messages arrive completely blank. 3. Cannot customize any view. The flag column is about the 5th column over and header status is the 1st. I have removed header status and moved flag about 2,000 times and they don't move or go anywhere. Seems they put customize view in there just to give you something to click on so they ...

Adding Multiple Lines On A Secondary Axis?
I am working with a line-column on 2 axes chart . Columns are charted on the primary axis and a line is charted on the secondary axis. I am trying to add a second line to the secondary axis. Can anyone help? Thanks -- al Hi, One way is to use the Add button on the Series tab of the Source data dialog. Right click chart and pick Source Data from the context menu. If the new series is not automatically a line series simply select it, right click and choose Chart Type. Select required line chart. You can also use copy and Pate special to add data to a chart. Cheers Andy al wrote: ...

count the occurence of number in a column
hi, may i ask: how do i count the occurence of a number in a column? an example: 1 5 8 1 3 4 1 5 1 occurence of 1 = 4 occurence of 3 = 1 occurence of 4 = 1 occurence of 5 = 2 occurence of 8 = 1 what would be the formula for that in excel, please? i have no clue at all. i tried google and it came up with something but i could not really find the answer to my question. tks, l. Hi =COUNTIF(A:A,1) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Laura" <no@spam.pls> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bzSbd.279333$vf1.14290064@phobos.telenet-ops.be... > hi, > may i ask: how do ...

excel VBA

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...