Search and replace query

I need to be able to specify my search criteria including leading and/or
trailing spaces, and similarly with the replace text.
I could not get Excel to accept/handle spaces as part of the search mask.
How would I do this?
For example if I want to replace all uses of the word he in a database with
she how would I specify space he space for the search, and space she space
for the replace?

TIA
Brian Tozer

0
briantoz (102)

Brian

Edit>Replace

What: <space>he<space>
With: <space>she<space>

Works for me.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:31:09 +1200, "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>I need to be able to specify my search criteria including leading and/or
>trailing spaces, and similarly with the replace text.
>I could not get Excel to accept/handle spaces as part of the search mask.
>How would I do this?
>For example if I want to replace all uses of the word he in a database with
>she how would I specify space he space for the search, and space she space
>for the replace?
>
>TIA
>Brian Tozer

0
Gord
9/19/2004 5:47:39 AM
Thankyou very much Gord.
Your reply sent me off to do more testing and I now see how I was fooling
myself.
But it hilights my problem.
An example:-
In a column I have some entries ending in Pl which is an abbreviation for
Place.
However I now realise that the last visible character is the last character
in that column and I can't specify a trailing space as a search delimiter.
However if I specify <space>Pl  I will get false hits. For example some
entried do have Place in full.
So in this example (one of many similar ones) how would I specify my search
criteria so as to only get hits when the <space>PL has no following
character?
I hope my explanation is clear.
Thanks
Brian

> Brian
>
> Edit>Replace
>
> What: <space>he<space>
> With: <space>she<space>
>
> Works for me.
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:31:09 +1200, "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
>>I need to be able to specify my search criteria including leading and/or
>>trailing spaces, and similarly with the replace text.
>>I could not get Excel to accept/handle spaces as part of the search mask.
>>How would I do this?
>>For example if I want to replace all uses of the word he in a database
>>with
>>she how would I specify space he space for the search, and space she space
>>for the replace?
>>
>>TIA
>>Brian Tozer

0
briantoz (102)
9/19/2004 6:39:22 AM
match entire cell contents = checked

worked for me

"KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Thankyou very much Gord.
> Your reply sent me off to do more testing and I now see how I was fooling
> myself.
> But it hilights my problem.
> An example:-
> In a column I have some entries ending in Pl which is an abbreviation for
> Place.
> However I now realise that the last visible character is the last
character
> in that column and I can't specify a trailing space as a search delimiter.
> However if I specify <space>Pl  I will get false hits. For example some
> entried do have Place in full.
> So in this example (one of many similar ones) how would I specify my
search
> criteria so as to only get hits when the <space>PL has no following
> character?
> I hope my explanation is clear.
> Thanks
> Brian
>
> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
> > Brian
> >
> > Edit>Replace
> >
> > What: <space>he<space>
> > With: <space>she<space>
> >
> > Works for me.
> >
> > Gord Dibben Excel MVP
> >
> > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:31:09 +1200, "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I need to be able to specify my search criteria including leading and/or
> >>trailing spaces, and similarly with the replace text.
> >>I could not get Excel to accept/handle spaces as part of the search
mask.
> >>How would I do this?
> >>For example if I want to replace all uses of the word he in a database
> >>with
> >>she how would I specify space he space for the search, and space she
space
> >>for the replace?
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>Brian Tozer

0
reply6745 (100)
9/19/2004 5:24:24 PM
Thanks for your reply but it fails for me in the following representative
examples, and I cannot see any way of accomplishing it using Search and
Replace.
I hope you or anyone else can show me how it can be done.

Present                    Wanted
Burt Pl                   Burt Place
Burt Place              Burt Place
Fred Pl                  Fred Place
Fred Place             Fred Place

TIA
Brian Tozer

"JethroUK�" <reply@the.board> wrote in message

> match entire cell contents = checked
>
> worked for me

> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Thankyou very much Gord.
>> Your reply sent me off to do more testing and I now see how I was fooling
>> myself.
>> But it hilights my problem.
>> An example:-
>> In a column I have some entries ending in Pl which is an abbreviation for
>> Place.
>> However I now realise that the last visible character is the last
> character
>> in that column and I can't specify a trailing space as a search
>> delimiter.
>> However if I specify <space>Pl  I will get false hits. For example some
>> entried do have Place in full.
>> So in this example (one of many similar ones) how would I specify my
> search
>> criteria so as to only get hits when the <space>PL has no following
>> character?
>> I hope my explanation is clear.
>> Thanks
>> Brian
>>
>> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> > Brian
>> >
>> > Edit>Replace
>> >
>> > What: <space>he<space>
>> > With: <space>she<space>
>> >
>> > Works for me.
>> >
>> > Gord Dibben Excel MVP

> mask.
> space

0
briantoz (102)
9/19/2004 7:31:28 PM
KiwiBrian

One way: (need two steps)

Replace <ace> with <>
replace <PL> with <Place>

George Gee

*KiwiBrian* has posted this message:

> Thanks for your reply but it fails for me in the following
> representative examples, and I cannot see any way of accomplishing it
> using Search and Replace.
> I hope you or anyone else can show me how it can be done.
>
> Present                    Wanted
> Burt Pl                   Burt Place
> Burt Place              Burt Place
> Fred Pl                  Fred Place
> Fred Place             Fred Place
>
> TIA
> Brian Tozer
>

> "JethroUK�" <reply@the.board> wrote in message
>
>> match entire cell contents = checked
>>
>> worked for me
>

>> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> Thankyou very much Gord.
>>> Your reply sent me off to do more testing and I now see how I was
>>> fooling myself.
>>> But it hilights my problem.
>>> An example:-
>>> In a column I have some entries ending in Pl which is an
>>> abbreviation for Place.
>>> However I now realise that the last visible character is the last
>>> character in that column and I can't specify a trailing space as a
>>> search delimiter.
>>> However if I specify <space>Pl  I will get false hits. For example
>>> some entried do have Place in full.
>>> So in this example (one of many similar ones) how would I specify
>>> my search criteria so as to only get hits when the <space>PL has no
>>> following character?
>>> I hope my explanation is clear.
>>> Thanks
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message

What's the difference to you if "Pl" is replaced with "Place",
*AND* "Place" *is* replaced with "Place"?

In your example, replace Pl *AND* Place with Place.
Same result ... yes?

Find what:
<Space>Pl*
Replace with:
<Space>Place
Worked for me!
--
HTH,

RD

> Thanks for your reply but it fails for me in the following representative
> examples, and I cannot see any way of accomplishing it using Search and
> Replace.
> I hope you or anyone else can show me how it can be done.
>
> Present                    Wanted
> Burt Pl                   Burt Place
> Burt Place              Burt Place
> Fred Pl                  Fred Place
> Fred Place             Fred Place
>
> TIA
> Brian Tozer
>

> "JethroUK�" <reply@the.board> wrote in message
>
> > match entire cell contents = checked
> >
> > worked for me
>

> > "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> >> Thankyou very much Gord.
> >> Your reply sent me off to do more testing and I now see how I was
fooling
> >> myself.
> >> But it hilights my problem.
> >> An example:-
> >> In a column I have some entries ending in Pl which is an abbreviation
for
> >> Place.
> >> However I now realise that the last visible character is the last
> > character
> >> in that column and I can't specify a trailing space as a search
> >> delimiter.
> >> However if I specify <space>Pl  I will get false hits. For example some
> >> entried do have Place in full.
> >> So in this example (one of many similar ones) how would I specify my
> > search
> >> criteria so as to only get hits when the <space>PL has no following
> >> character?
> >> I hope my explanation is clear.
> >> Thanks
> >> Brian
> >>
> >> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message

> > mask.
> > space

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
9/19/2004 8:27:39 PM
Wonderful!!
Nearly right but gave me the lateral thinking that I should have thought of
for myself.
Solution:-
Replace <space>Place   with   <space>Pl
Replace <space>Pl        with   <space>Place

Otherwise other instances of <ace> get changed, e.g. face becomes f

Thanks again.
Brian Tozer

"George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message
> KiwiBrian
>
> One way: (need two steps)
>
> Replace <ace> with <>
> replace <PL> with <Place>
>
> George Gee

0
briantoz (102)
9/19/2004 8:35:04 PM
KiwiBrian

Glad to set you on the right road.
After all, you don't want to go changing your face!

*Ragdyer* has a more elegant solution.

George Gee

*KiwiBrian* has posted this message:

> Wonderful!!
> Nearly right but gave me the lateral thinking that I should have
> thought of for myself.
> Solution:-
> Replace <space>Place   with   <space>Pl
> Replace <space>Pl        with   <space>Place
>
> Otherwise other instances of <ace> get changed, e.g. face becomes f
>
> Thanks again.
> Brian Tozer
>
> "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message
>> KiwiBrian
>>
>> One way: (need two steps)
>>
>> Replace <ace> with <>
>> replace <PL> with <Place>
>>
>> George Gee

Thanks Ragdyer.
Unfortunately this fails on Plaza. Either as the last word in the record or
within the record.
Maybe my earlier posts clarifying the requirement got lost.
Appreciate the suggestion.

Brian

"Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> What's the difference to you if "Pl" is replaced with "Place",
> *AND* "Place" *is* replaced with "Place"?
>
> In your example, replace Pl *AND* Place with Place.
> Same result ... yes?
>
> Find what:
> <Space>Pl*
> Replace with:
> <Space>Place
> Worked for me!
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your reply but it fails for me in the following representative
>> examples, and I cannot see any way of accomplishing it using Search and
>> Replace.
>> I hope you or anyone else can show me how it can be done.
>>
>> Present                    Wanted
>> Burt Pl                   Burt Place
>> Burt Place              Burt Place
>> Fred Pl                  Fred Place
>> Fred Place             Fred Place
>>
>> TIA
>> Brian Tozer
>>

>> "JethroUK�" <reply@the.board> wrote in message
>>
>> > match entire cell contents = checked
>> >
>> > worked for me
>>

>> > "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> fooling
> for
>> > character
>> > search

>> > mask.
> database
>> > space

0
briantoz (102)

Complex xPath Query #2
I am trying to build a xPath Query to use on SelectNodes function in VB.net The data I want to search is by MemberCity = O'Fallon My xPath Query is xPathQuery = "Matched[@MemberCity='O'Fallon']" The problem is the apostrophe in the city name that is failing. How do I build the xPathQuery so that it can take into account the apostrophe Any idea(s) thanks --- Posted using Wimdows.net NntpNews Component - Post Made from http://www.DotNetJunkies.com/newsgroups Our newsgroup engine supports Post Alerts, Ratings, and Searching. ...

Searching for Newsgroups

Search & replace in formulae

Union All Query bombs report
I have a union query that joins tables that have memo fields. I saw help in the Discussion Group that suggested using Union All to get all the characters in the query. It works fine for the query (I see all the characters in the memo field in the datasheet), but it bombs the report. MS Access closes, offering to repair and restart. Repairing and restarting does not work. The report worked fine (aside from not having all the characters in the field) when the query was Union instead of Union All (and it works now if I change it back to just Union). Any suggestions? On further search...

Search engine optimization

excel VBA

retrieving maximum value from query
hi there, I have a table of the following schema build --------------------------- build_id AutoNumber build_date Date/Time label Text CL Number ---------------------------- for a simple query like SELECT build.CL FROM build; how can I apply a filter so that I only get the max CL value? thanks in advanced. SELECT Max(CL) FROM build If you want the details about the entry with the largest value, you could try: SELECT build_id, build_date, label, CL FROM build WHERE CL IN (Select Max(CL) FROM build) Recognize, of course, th...

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

write a query to retrieve data
I have three sheets in my workbook: Request sheet with request number and date,Fault sheet with request number and faults count,and in the third sheet I have month start date and end date. I want to retrieve data such that : sum of all the faults of those requests which fall in the month given in third sheet Request Sheet Request ID ActualEnd Date 1 1/22/2006 2 2/27/2006 3 1/22/2006 4 1/22/2006 5 1/22/2006 Fault Sheet Request ID Total 1 6.75 2 3.75 3 7.50 third sheet Jan-06 1/1/2006 1/31/2006 to get value Hi, There may be a better way of organizing yo...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

Logic. What is better to creat a form from? A table or a query?
I've seen responses to my and other people problems and I've noticed that the gurus will sometimes recommend creating a form based on a query. Can someone explain why that would be more beneficial or prudent rather than creating a form directly from a table? Or, maybe I misunderstood and it doesn't really matter. Either way, I was hoping to have a little more light shed on the subject. I'm rather new at using Acess and want to start off on the right foot before I get to far into my database. Thanks in advance. On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:39:01 -0800, David K. ...

Display search results
Using OneNote 2010 Beta: file tabs are on the left; how can I make search result tabs appear on the right? Now they don't appear at all: the first search result is displayed in the middle of the screen (that's fine) but no way to move to the next search result, nor any way to scrool them all the search results. I'd like to see all the search result tabs listed on the right so I can choose the one I want (as was the case with the version of OneNote that got replaced by 2010 beta). Many thanks for any help. -- CH I can't really visualize what you want, but h...

how to find and replace a symbol in my worksheet
I need help with finding and then replacing a symbol in my worksheet. In the find and replace box there is no way to insert a symbol there. I have tried to cut and paste as well as to insert the symbol in the find box. If anyone has an idea on how to replace a bullet with a comma please let me know. Thanks TC TC In the Replace What: box you would hold down the ALT key then hit the ascii code number on the NumPad. Bullets are usually ALT + 0149 So.........select the cells. Edit>Replace what: ALT + 0149 you will not see anything in the what: box, but it is there. with: , Replace...

Including imap folders in outlook 2003 search folders
Dear all, Is it possible to include imap accounts/folders as providers for "virtual" search folders in outlook 2003? At the moment, I only see the option to check folders in my personal folders but not to include imap folders. The reason that I ask is that I would like to be able to get a complete view of follow up tasks across all my accounts (1 pop3, 2 imap and 1 hotmail). Only the pop3 account gets delivered into the personal folders and is included in the follow up a nd unread search folders. Thanks for your help in advanced. Raj ...

Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? For example, a cell may have a formula such as =3+5 You can search and find the 3 or the 5. The cell with show 8, is it possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell? TIA Yes. In the Search dialog, choose Options and select Look in Values. -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:WbednSOFT7Cbp57fRVn-1Q@adelphia.com... > Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? > > For example, a cell may have a formula such as > > =3+5 >...

Search Form Problems
I have a form that has two fields in it. The first field is for a ID number, and the other is for the projects name. I am having a problem with using the form for as a search tool. Some of the values are duplicates in the drop down, I wanted to know how to properly filter the combo box so that the values can only be seen once. The Row Source is the name of the table that the fields are from, however this only words for the ID combo box and not the project name one. For some reason the values are from the ID column in the project name's combo box as well. To counter this problem, I si...

How can I search for a phrase within thousands of documents 2003 search I searched for "Trust" in document name and "special needs" within document -- Irritated 2007 Word User You could do that by modifying the code in the article "Find & ReplaceAll on a batch of documents in the same folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm probably in combination with the code in the article "Insert into a document the names of all files in a selected folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/InsertFileNames.htm ...

search
Why is it when I search (for a posting I listed) I never get any hits. I know I posted a message. I even search for a message on the screen and get nothing. mvestel@lbl.gov Sorry, that's not enough info. It should work if the parameters are configured correctly. Can you be more specific about how it fails? "Michael Vestel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45bb01c39f70$922026c0$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > Why is it when I search (for a posting I listed) I never > get any hits. I know I posted a message. I even search > for a message on ...

Search for record which needs two search terms
I have a table where the records are uniquely identified by a combination of two fields ChildAOLTermID and PhotoID. I want to use a combo on a form to look up records in the table. In the AfterUpdate event: DoCmd.SearchForRecord , , acFirst, "[ChildAOLTermID] = " & Me.cboFindRecord.Column(0) works but doesn't get me to the precise record I need because the PhotoID side of the record is not being specified. However, if I add that so that the search looks like: DoCmd.SearchForRecord , , acFirst, "[ChildAOLTermID] = " & Me.cboFindRecord.Column(0) And "[Phot...

querys from multiple sheets
I have a workbook that conatins 31 sheets, 1 for each day of the month and a report sheet. Each day has information i need to query but i have been unsuccesful at creating a query to pull all the data into a seperate sheet. I'm not to savy on computer lingo so hopefully this makes sense. -- tlachena ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tlachena's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29119 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=488367 It can be done either via formula or VBA. With...

Can anyone tell me how to search across all worksheets in a workbook? I have a viewing diary with a sheet for every day of the month and it would really help if we could search the whole workbook for a name. Many thanks Michele Hi Michele Slect all sheets first. It's done this way: Click sheet tab of the first sheet. Hold Shift button and click the the last sheet tab. Now search. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Michele" <mjh1606@aol.com> wrote in message news:011301c35926$07b30d30$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone tell m...