Random number Generator

Could you kindly assist me with a formula that generate 6 numbers between 1
and 49, without repeating any of the integers.
Thanks!
0
RayT (9)

I don't believe there is anyway to do this with a formula; you'll need some
VBA code. See http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/randomNumbers.aspx for quite a
few choices. Look at the section entitled "Getting An Array Of Unique,
Non-Duplicated Value" and the UniqueRandomLongs function.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"RayT" <RayT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could you kindly assist me with a formula that generate 6 numbers between
> 1
> and 49, without repeating any of the integers.
> Thanks!

0
chip1 (1821)
1/14/2008 11:01:44 PM
Thanks, for takin the time. I will try that? Cheers!

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

> I don't believe there is anyway to do this with a formula; you'll need some
> VBA code. See http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/randomNumbers.aspx for quite a
> few choices. Look at the section entitled "Getting An Array Of Unique,
> Non-Duplicated Value" and the UniqueRandomLongs function.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
>     Excel Product Group, 1998 - 2008
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
> (email on web site)
>
> "RayT" <RayT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Could you kindly assist me with a formula that generate 6 numbers between
> > 1
> > and 49, without repeating any of the integers.
> > Thanks!

0
RayT (9)
1/14/2008 11:45:01 PM
This should work for you:

In an out-of-the-way location, say Column Z, enter the Rand function,
In Z1 enter
=Rand()
And copy down to Z49.

Then enter this formula wherever you wish:

=INDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$49),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49))

Copy down as many rows as you need random numbers.

Each time you  hit <F9>, you'll get a new random selection.

You might choose to place your calc mode into Manual, so that you don't
inadvertently refresh the list.
--
HTH,

RD

"RayT" <RayT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could you kindly assist me with a formula that generate 6 numbers between
> 1
> and 49, without repeating any of the integers.
> Thanks!

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
1/14/2008 11:53:19 PM
One other play using formulas which might interest you ..

Illustrated in this "Ready-to-randomize" sample:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3acjd
Randomize 1 - 49 into a 6 col x 8 row grid.xls

The set-up:
Numbers 1 - 49 to be randomized listed in A1:A49
In B1: =RAND()
In C1: =INDEX($A:$A,RANK(B1,B$1:B$49))
Copy B1:C1 down to C49

Place in say, E2:
=INDEX($C:$C,ROWS($1:1)*6-6+COLUMNS($A:A))
Copy E2 across to J2, fill down to J10. Clear F10:J10.
The grid E2:J9 returns 8 sets of 6 random numbers
from the source in col A. E10 returns the last element.

Press F9 to regenerate.
--
Max
Singapore

"Max" wrote:

> One other play using formulas which might interest you ..
>
> Illustrated in this "Ready-to-randomize" sample:
> http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3acjd
> Randomize 1 - 49 into a 6 col x 8 row grid.xls
>
> The set-up:
> Numbers 1 - 49 to be randomized listed in A1:A49
> In B1: =RAND()
> In C1: =INDEX($A:$A,RANK(B1,B$1:B$49))
> Copy B1:C1 down to C49
>
> Place in say, E2:
> =INDEX($C:$C,ROWS($1:1)*6-6+COLUMNS($A:A))
> Copy E2 across to J2, fill down to J10. Clear F10:J10.
> The grid E2:J9 returns 8 sets of 6 random numbers
> from the source in col A. E10 returns the last element.
>
> Press F9 to regenerate.
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---
0
RayT (9)
1/15/2008 12:24:00 AM
RagDyer, that was again well said, it seems quite simply, i guess if you know
your stuff. It liked it. Thank u all.

"RagDyer" wrote:

> This should work for you:
>
> In an out-of-the-way location, say Column Z, enter the Rand function,
> In Z1 enter
> =Rand()
> And copy down to Z49.
>
> Then enter this formula wherever you wish:
>
> =INDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$49),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49))
>
> Copy down as many rows as you need random numbers.
>
> Each time you  hit <F9>, you'll get a new random selection.
>
> You might choose to place your calc mode into Manual, so that you don't
> inadvertently refresh the list.
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

> "RayT" <RayT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Could you kindly assist me with a formula that generate 6 numbers between
> > 1
> > and 49, without repeating any of the integers.
> > Thanks!

0
RayT (9)
1/15/2008 12:27:00 AM
Using VBA is very interesting, i really would love to learn alot about that.
Enjoyed working through the steps in the example from the page you mentioned.
I sure would recommend anyone who loves to learn more to try it.  I
personally enjoyed it. Guez there are many ways to skin a cat. Cheers!

"RayT" wrote:

> Thanks, for takin the time. I will try that? Cheers!
>
> "Chip Pearson" wrote:
>
> > I don't believe there is anyway to do this with a formula; you'll need some
> > VBA code. See http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/randomNumbers.aspx for quite a
> > few choices. Look at the section entitled "Getting An Array Of Unique,
> > Non-Duplicated Value" and the UniqueRandomLongs function.
> >

> > --
> > Cordially,
> > Chip Pearson
> > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
> >     Excel Product Group, 1998 - 2008
> > Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> > www.cpearson.com
> > (email on web site)
> >
> > "RayT" <RayT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Could you kindly assist me with a formula that generate 6 numbers between
> > > 1
> > > and 49, without repeating any of the integers.
> > > Thanks!

0
RayT (9)
1/15/2008 12:31:02 AM
welcome, RayT
--
> Hey Max thats some good stuff there man. Its almost the same as how
> RagDyer
> would do, well explained, u make it sound easy. Thanks mate.

0
demechanik (4694)
1/15/2008 12:59:43 AM
Thanks for your feed-back.
--
Regards,

RD

> RagDyer, that was again well said, it seems quite simply, i guess if you
> know
> your stuff. It liked it. Thank u all.
>
> "RagDyer" wrote:
>
>> This should work for you:
>>
>> In an out-of-the-way location, say Column Z, enter the Rand function,
>> In Z1 enter
>> =Rand()
>> And copy down to Z49.
>>
>> Then enter this formula wherever you wish:
>>
>> =INDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$49),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49))
>>
>> Copy down as many rows as you need random numbers.
>>
>> Each time you  hit <F9>, you'll get a new random selection.
>>
>> You might choose to place your calc mode into Manual, so that you don't
>> inadvertently refresh the list.
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> RD

>> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
>>
>> "RayT" <RayT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Could you kindly assist me with a formula that generate 6 numbers
>> > between
>> > 1
>> > and 49, without repeating any of the integers.
>> > Thanks!

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
1/15/2008 1:04:02 AM
On Jan 14, 3:53=A0pm, "RagDyer" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
> In an out-of-the-way location, say Column Z, enter the Rand
> function[.]  In Z1 enter =3DRand()[.]  And copy down to Z49.
>
> Then enter this formula wherever you wish:
> =3DINDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$49),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49))
> Copy down as many rows as you need random numbers.

Can you please explain the theory of operation.

I agree that it works.  But it seems that =3DRANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49) would
suffice.  RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49) seems to return the same thing that the
full INDEX expression returns.  It seems that ROW($A$1:$A$49) is
always 1.

In any case, I agree with RayT that this is a clever, yet nicely
simple solution to the problem.

On Jan 14, 9:09 pm, I wrote:
> On Jan 14, 3:53 pm, "RagDyer" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
> > In an out-of-the-way location, say Column Z, enter the Rand function[.]
> > In Z1 enter =Rand()[.]  And copy down to Z49.
> > Then enter this formula wherever you wish:
> > =INDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$49),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49))
> > Copy down as many rows as you need random numbers.
> [....]
> I agree that it works.  But it seems that =RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49) would
> suffice.  RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49) seems to return the same thing that the
> full INDEX expression returns.  It seems that ROW($A$1:$A$49) is
> always 1.

Only out of context.  ROW($A$1:$A$49) returns the array {1,2,...,49}.
In the context of INDEX(), the RANK() result (1,2,...,49) is used to
index into that array.

In this context, I believe that using INDEX() and ROW() is redundant,
since the OP is interested in randomly choosing amount 1,2,...,49,
which is exactly what RANK() returns, given that Z1:Z49 contains
random values.

However, if the OP had been interested in, for example, randomly
selecting from the range 13-61, then perhaps INDEX(ROW($A$13:$A
$61),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49)) could be used -- although, I believe that
12+RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49) would suffice.

On the other hand, if the OP had wanted to randomly select unique
values from A1:A49, then I believe INDEX($A$1:$A$49,RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z
$49)) could be used, copying down for as many selections as required.

RagDyer (or any other expert), please comment.
In this particular case, you're right, the Rand() function would suffice.

However, I always suggest the combination with Index() as a more or less
*generic* solution, which can be understood and built on.

What if the OP *later* wanted numbers *other* then 1 to 49, say 10 to 58, or
100 to 148?

=INDEX(ROW($A$100:$A$148),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49))

OR, say that the list of numbers are *not consecutive*, OR, say that a
random list of names is desired ... with the master list located at say J50
to J98:

=INDEX($J$50:$J$98,RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49))

So, you can see how easily a revision might be accomplished if the necessary
basic functions are presented at the outset.
--

Regards,

RD

<curiousgeorge408@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 14, 3:53 pm, "RagDyer" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
> In an out-of-the-way location, say Column Z, enter the Rand
> function[.]  In Z1 enter =Rand()[.]  And copy down to Z49.
>
> Then enter this formula wherever you wish:
> =INDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$49),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49))
> Copy down as many rows as you need random numbers.

Can you please explain the theory of operation.

I agree that it works.  But it seems that =RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49) would
suffice.  RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$49) seems to return the same thing that the
full INDEX expression returns.  It seems that ROW($A$1:$A$49) is
always 1.

In any case, I agree with RayT that this is a clever, yet nicely
simple solution to the problem.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
1/15/2008 5:02:28 PM
Sorry, just detected that the earlier sample contained an inadvertent error*

Here's the corrected version:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3adkm
Randomize 1 - 49 into a 6 col x 8 row grid.xls

*The formulas in the output grid E2:J10 got messed up. To correct, just
re-copy E2 across/down to J10. Clear F10:J10. The grid E2:J9 will return 8
sets of 6 random numbers from the source in col A. E10 returns the last
element.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

0
demechanik (4694)

Random
How to get random numbers random(0xff) ? int RandomNumber = (rand() * 0xff) / RAND_MAX; -- Bjarne Nielsen "]GHO[" <yousefk@taux01.nsc.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:0b6a01c3a84c$5733a890$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How to get random numbers random(0xff) ? rnd()%0x100; or rnd() & 0xff; Ruben On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:07:13 -0800, "]GHO[" <yousefk@taux01.nsc.com> wrote: >How to get random numbers random(0xff) ? ...

how would you calculate the number of hits to your website
Hi ,' can some one tell to me the answer of this question On a website, how would you calculate the number of hits to your website ...

Largest number in range
I am looking for a formula that will select the largest number in a range and make that number "bold." Is there a formula that will do this? Thanks in advance for any help. RBG Not a formula (formulas return values--they don't change formatting). But you could use Format|conditional formatting. If your range is B3:G9, then select that range and with B3 the activecell, then click on Format|conditional formatting Then Condition 1: Formula is and use this as the formula: =B3=MAX($B$3:$G$9) Excel will adjust the formula for all the cells in the selected area. (Don't...

Random Numbers not Random
When I create random numbers for an application with the following code, they do not appear to be truely random. Me.RandomNumber = Int(9 * Rnd + 1) ' Random Number 1-9 If I have two users setting side by side, they frequently get the same results when they start up Am I missing somthing? Any help would be appreciated -- Frank Wagner fwagner111@aol.com Frank, Have you tried a Randomize statement just before the RND? That should do it. -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job tha...

Resequence figure numbers
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Using automated figure numbers in captions - have deleted a few, and the remaining ones do not automatically renumber. <br><br>How do I force the figure numbers to resequence? In Word 2007 on a Windows computer, it's just the F9 key. What works for Word 2008 on the Mac? Actually, it's F9 in Mac Word as well � or at least it *was* until Apple decided to expropriate that keystroke for Expose :-) You have several options available to you: 1- In System Preferences> Expose & Spaces...

Add numbers accross columns after stripping away text
I have the following data in a spreadsheet: A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 4.5f 6f 3.5f 3f 7.25f I need to be able to add the numbers together to give me 24.25, i.e. strip the fs away. The numbers will always be less than 10 and the there will only ever be .25 or.5 or .75 after the number (I don't know whether that is significant?). If anyone can show me how to do this I would be very grateful. I have been messing around with MID and FIND to no avail and then started thinking that SUMPRODUCT might have to get involved but it all got a bit m...

Numbers matchup
I have a column of Account numbers in one worksheet. In another worksheet i have a column with account numbers and a column with SSN. I need a formula that will take the account number in the first worksheet and find it's match in the second worksheet and plug in the SSN on that same row as the Account number. Is this possible and how would be the best way to do this TIA Paul Have a look in HELP index for VLOOKUP -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Paul McGuire" <pmcguire@nottelling.com> wrote in message news:%2393selkAFHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl....

Exchange server randomly asking random users to Authenticate randomly...
Has anyone had a problem like this where a user is in their Exchange mailbox using Outlook 2003 and the server prompts them for their credentials? If they hit cancel and exit out of Outlook and run it again it lets them into their mailbox. Thank you, Benjamin Pls make sure the outlook 2003 Client does not using Cache mode If is ,pls clearn this option -- Jammy "Benjamin Chan" <bchan[pleasenospam]@controlproductsinc.com> ���g��l��s�D :#BxdizrtEHA.3972@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Has anyone had a problem like this where a user is in their Exchange mailbox > using Outlo...

excel.exe has generated errors and will close down. Restart progr.
I have been trying to run the Tracking Changes function in excel. I then used the pop up box, select which changes should be highlighted. When I say ok, I get the following error message: Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. ...

unable to insert page numbers
my ms word 7 (enterprise package) has ceased to allow my to insert page numbers. Everythng else is working fine. I click "insert", that's ok; I click "page numbers" , that's ok; then I click "top of page" or "bottom, etc." and this is where my word 7 fails because no further option choice appear (though they had before). The only option to appear is "save selection as page number" and this is "grayed out" unless of course I have some current text selected. this is the same problem whether I attempt to insert ...

Generating Correlated Random Values in Excel
Hi Mike, Thanks so much for your advice. I think that I have it figured out, but can you confirm this for me? I can't afford to screw this up. If mean(inflation) = .031 stdev(inflation) = .047 mean(stock return) = .106 stdev(stock return) = .204 Column Headers: A B C D 1 Z1 Z2 Inflation Stock Return Data Generation Formulas A2 =NORMINV(RAND(),0,1) B2 =NORMINV(RAND(),0,1) C2 =0.031+0.047*A2 D2 =0.106+0.204*(A2*rho+B2*(1-rho^2)^0.5) Are these formulas correct to generate the random data? Particularly cell D2. Does this give me a complete value that t...

Macro to number blank cells
In one row I have: A B C D E F G Cust# Address 1 Address 2 Address3 Address 4 Address5 Address6 I have a macro that inserts 6 rows below each name, how could I copy information in columns B-G to the 6 cells below cust #, Thanks in advance for your help Fernando Can it be this simple? I'm not positive that I understand what you're asking. But try this. You have blank rows below each record. Select the columns B through G, beginning with the first BLANK row and down all rows. Hit Ed...

converting "text" numbers to numbers
I have been using the technique of multiplying cells that have number entries that behave like text entries by the value of 1 to convert them to numbers. However, some mixed cell entries, convert strangely. For example the entry "6 A" (without the quotes) becomes 0.25 when multiplied by 1. Any explanation? Any ideas on how to solve other than checking cell by cell to confirm all characters are numbers? Confused! Frustated! <grin>. Bob Just figured out the "why". An entry like 6 A is converted to 6AM. Its numerical value is 0.25. Still hoping for a ...

Addition problem, number always 2 cents off...Help
I have a little problem with my SUMs I have 200 to 300 rows of A * B = C Then I tell it to do a =sum(d1:d300) All the cells are formated to currency, two decimal places. when I add up the numbers with an adding machine I'm always 2 - 22 cents off. (2 cents on this sheet, 22 cents on another sheet....) Can anyone help Thank you WTG The issue is very likely to be rounding - that the product of each multiplication has fractional cents that Excel considers in the SUM() function, even though you don't see them fractional cents on screen You can either modify your multiplication f...

Auto Numbering
I want to be able to increase my ID field for each new record I enter, but I don't want to use an autonumber field in my table. I have used the following: ID = Nz(DMax("[id]", "tblNames")) + 1 and put it in the On Current property of the form. The problem is that when the last field is completed and the user presses Enter, the new record automatically puts in the new ID number. What I want to do is for the form to put in the next ID number but only when the 2nd field has data entered in it. Thanks Nigel, Place your code into the AfterUpdate event of the second ...

Sorting imported "numbers"
I've imported a long list of "numbers" from a server. Now in my excel table I can not sort them. I've tried multiplying the col. by "1" from paste special, Add from a free cell and paste special, using a macro form the converting text to number page, using trim and clean function, copy and paste as value, using the text to columns command, all to no avail. The "numbers" still stay left justified and sort by first number, i.e. 113 before 21 etc. There are 1500 entries and I do no think the table woudl be of much use after i tried to re-type in all t...

random pages
I have developed pages that randomly define a set of normal lung function data based on gender, age and height. I have applied formulas to this data simulate 5 classic lung function abnormalities (normal, restrictive, obstructive, mixed and early obstructive.) Currently the sheets that define the abnormal are named by one of the above lung abnormalities. I would like to present data from random pages in a work book to students and rather than have the pages named by the abnormality be named a simulated patient name. My questions. Can I have the name of a sheet set to equal data from to ...

Random Distribution
I need to randomly order numbers from a list or range of consecutive whole numbers, such that each number is listed only once. Can this be done in excel using functions, formulas or whatever? I want to incorporate it into a spreadsheet with a macro to automatically generate the list and use it to randomly designate selected entries. "Rick via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > I need to randomly order numbers from a list or range of consecutive whole > numbers, such that each number is listed only once. Can this be done in > excel using functions, formulas or whatever? I want to...

How to show what record number you are on in form?
I have created an unbound form in Access 2007 and am listing the records which are in my table. I found out how to show how many records there are in the table but would also like to show which record you are on. For example, when I click the next button to see the next record it will show: "Record 2 Of 30", and so on. This is the one I used to count the amount of records: Dim countRecords As Long countRecords = DCount("customerNumber", "customer") Me.txtRecordAmount = "Record # Of " & countRecords How can I show what reco...

Numbering Heading
Is there a way I can number heading and then continue with the same numbering level on the ensuing paragraphs, eg 1. First Heading 1.1 kdkdkdk 1.2 dldldldldl 2. Second Heading 2.1 ldldld 2.2 ldldldl -- Trainer See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html for general principles. If you have Word 2007, the implementation is slightly different (through Define New Multilevel List), but the principles are the same. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Trainer&quo...

How to Retrieve Random Records through webservice method
Hi All, I'm writing an application that retrieve records from CRM 3.0 automatically using the web service. My question is, is there any way we can retrieve records randomly by using any webservice method? Like we can use RAND() or NEWID() to achieve this in SQL. Please help me if you have any idea about it. My sample method code is given below: CrmService service = new CrmService(); RetrieveMultipleRequest request2 = new RetrieveMultipleRequest(); // Create the ConditionExpression object. ConditionExpression condition = new ConditionExpression...

outline numbered list not auto-numbering
I have 2003 version of Word at work. I am trying to create an outline numbered list with 3 levels. When I hit the enter button after typing the text for an item, word does not seem to recognize that it should continue the list. The next line just has normal formatting, and I'm forced to use the format painter brush to copy a previous item from the list, and then Word seems to recognize it as part of the list. I have verified the "Apply Automatic Numbered Lists" is checked in the Tools/Autocorrect Options/Autoformat as you type menu. An observation about Word ...

How do I prevent duplicate numbers in a range of validated cells?
I have a validation rule for a series of cells. The 3 cells are only allowed to have a value of 3, 5, or 1. I want to fix it so that each number may only be used once in a range of 3 cells. .... So in A1:A3, each number may only appear once or an error message pops up or the cell starts blinking ~ something needs to happen to notify the user that there is an error that needs correcting. THanks ...

Random numbers
How exactly do i generate random numbers in VC++.Is the a function similar to random() in C++.Thanks in advance Fenn On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:42:52 -0800, "Fenn" <fenn_j@yahoo.com> wrote: >How exactly do i generate random numbers in VC++.Is the a function similar >to random() in C++.Thanks in advance > VC++i is C++. Besides, there is no random() in C++. I think you mean rand(). And besides, that is a C function imported into C++. In any event, generate random numbers in Visual C++ using MFC exactly the same way you would in any C++ (or C) program. .. yeah, b...

debugger shows wrong line number
I am experiencing a rather strange behavior -- when I step through my program, the debugger shows the debugging cursor at the wrong line. Also, when I set a breakpoint at any line, the debugger stops at a different line (sometimes the next line or the one after). Any idea why I might be seeing this problem. I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003 >I am experiencing a rather strange behavior -- when I step through my >program, the debugger shows the debugging cursor at the wrong line. > >Also, when I set a breakpoint at any line, the debugger stops at a different >line (someti...