Question about lists ?

Hello all

I use a drop down list to allow users of a worksheet to select customer names.

Is it possible to open the list and press the first letter of the customer
name and be taken to the first occurance of that letter to save having to
scroll down the entire list ?

My thanks in anticipation

Nigel.
0
leclef (4)

That's not possible in a standard data validation list. You can use a
combo box instead, as described here:

Or add letters in the source list, as shown in Roger Govier's sample
file here:

Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0046 - Add Headings for Navigation'

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
dsd1 (5911)
2/26/2008 11:45:52 PM
Debra,

Re: 'DV0046 - Add Headings for Navigation'

When I followed Step 2:
to type in the 1st letter into B3, then click the down arrow
Excel threw up the standard DV error message
(The value you entered is not valid ...)
instead of the list opening at the letter I typed ??

Several tries in several other DV cells gave the same result
What can I do to make it work?
--
Max
Singapore

0
demechanik (4694)
2/27/2008 1:19:03 AM
Max

Did you first sort the data by using the sort macro found on sheet "List"?

Gord

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:19:03 +0800, "Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Debra,
>
>Re: 'DV0046 - Add Headings for Navigation'
>
>When I followed Step 2:
>to type in the 1st letter into B3, then click the down arrow
>Excel threw up the standard DV error message
>(The value you entered is not valid ...)
>instead of the list opening at the letter I typed ??
>
>Several tries in several other DV cells gave the same result
>What can I do to make it work?

0
Gord
2/27/2008 2:10:42 AM
> Did you first sort the data by using the sort macro found on sheet "List"?
Aha! No, I din't (sheepish). Jumped right into the pool w/o going to the
changing room!
Thanks, it works fine.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

0
demechanik (4694)
2/27/2008 2:43:50 AM
Hello all

My thanks to all for the knowledge you give to the questions asked - but
most of all a thank you for the time you dedicate to answer these questions.

My thanks once again.

Nigel.

"le clef" wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I use a drop down list to allow users of a worksheet to select customer names.
>
> Is it possible to open the list and press the first letter of the customer
> name and be taken to the first occurance of that letter to save having to
> scroll down the entire list ?
>
> My thanks in anticipation
>
> Nigel.
0
leclef (4)

Return Address Question
I am trying to change the personal information associated with a Money 2005 file. I have moved and need to change addresses that are currently being printed on checks that are electronically cut to payees. I have searched but cannot find anywhere to change it - probably just blind but any help would be appreciated. You have to change this with the Epay service. It doesn't come from your local copy of money. "Robert Patterson" <rlpatterson800@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e70$wboeFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I am trying to change the personal informat...

Shorten the list if a value is already choosen before
I have created a list via Insert > Name > Define. On a list of cells I want to let the user choose a value from the defined list. Is it possible to shorten the list when a value is already choosen at another cell? So: List = AA, BB, CC, DD. Cell 1: BB is choosen Cell 2: list is AA, CC, DD. I choose DD etc. Bart Excel 2003 Maybe http://contextures.com/xlDataVal03.html from Debra Dalgleish's site. AA Arens wrote: > > I have created a list via Insert > Name > Define. > > On a list of cells I want to let the user choose a value from the > defined list. Is ...

Max size of distribution list in Exchange 2000 or 2003?
Hello! I am trying to find out the maximum size or number of contacts that a distribution list can contain when using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000 (also Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003). So far, I found this article from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238569 that seems to indicate that Exchange is not good for large companies with over 100 users. If I read that article correctly, you could not send a company-wide email (everyone@bigcompany.xxx) if you have more than about 130 users. Did I mis-interpret the article or is Exchange that crippled? Als...

listbox question 03-15-07
Hi all, Is there a way to add an Asterisk "*" after a txt in a list box automatically weather it be through check box or just first selected from a different form? My form I have a cbo that lets me choose a primary company type. This company may also be other company types which will fill a listbox. I would like the listbox to show an * in front of or behind the primary type. Dont know if possible but would like a suggestion if possible! Thanks I don't understand what do you want to do. Are you trying to update the data in a field to show an Asterisk? What is the purpose of...

String formatting question
Is there a shorter way to express the following using a value indicating = how many @ to use? It just gets tedious counting those little buggers out. =46ormat$(sString, "!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@") -mhd "-mhd" <not_real@invalid.com> wrote in message news:s4qou5168c7dd7jrnciieos7v0v20app6o@4ax.com... > Is there a shorter way to express the following using a value > indicating how many @ to use? It just gets tedious counting > those little buggers out. > Format$(sString, "!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@...

Question about formats
I guess this is about formats - I am addicted to coloring cells and rows to catch my attention or to classify data. I dislike the default bright yellow, and usually use red, white and blue BUT some worksheets retain where I was last, and others lose my last point of reference on color, when I close all. Any idea why? All sheets are originated by me. -- Regards, P D Sterling Dallas TX P D, I don't know what you mean by "lose your point of reference," unless you mean how far down you might have gone in the sheet in formatting the cells for color. Here are some things th...

New Pivot Table Question
sorry to have posted under another post. when I posted a new post it came up under the old post heading, hello, when I create a pivot table. I have a column in the pivot table that has a list of figures, I cannot get the figures to total at the bottom of the page. in that column, I have looked at the field settings and the settings looked correct. after that I cannot see the field settings when I right click and try to check them. any ideas. thanks Is the field in the Data area of the pivot table layout? hello wrote: > when I create a pivot table. I have a column in the pivot table...

Suggestion to allow zero quantity items in BOM lists
I would like to see the ability to add zero quantity items to BOM lists. The purpose of this is to hold optional or equivilent items that may be used in the assembly depending on stock on hand. This is really usefull if you are cutting material from larger lots to make the item, and you have multiple larger items from which the part can be cut. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow...

Newsletter Question
Is there anyway that a Publisher Document, such as a newsletter be converted to a Word document? I would like to create a newsletter in publisher because there are more templates than word (which has 3) but I have to be able to email it out in a universal format (like word) so everyone will be able to open it. The best method is to convert the Publisher newsletter to PDF. You will need the full version of Adobe Acrobat to create PDF files. Many people do not have Word, everybody has Adobe Acrobat viewer. -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are torturing, ab...

Data Type Question
I have two table tbl_Repairers and tbl_Job_Details related on a one to many on RepairerID field. tbl_Repairers RepairerID - Autonumber - Primary Key RepName - Text tbl_Job_Details RepairerID - Number - LookUp on RepName. <Other Fields> When I set up a query using the RepairerID field from the tbl_Job_Details, the values in the field show as text but if I want to run a query on one repairer e.g. "AT" then I get a data mismatch. If the criteria is entered as '1' then I get the results I want. How can I adjust the query such that if I want to see al...

If Yes checked, display set of questions
I saw an access database that had a very cool form. There were 5 Yes/No options on the form. These were questions that applied to Quality Control. When a box was checked to indicate yes, additional questions with Yes/No options displayed below. Those questions that displayed asked questions about that particular Quality Control Topic question. I'm stuggling to figure out how that form was so interactive. Did each of the 5 questions have it's own subform, or was it as basic as "if this box is checked then display these questions". Any insight is appreciated. Tha...

thinking about exchange server
Hi I work for a small company (15-20 employees), we currently run windows xp and have an old server. What we want to do is setup shared calendars and contacts so the entire office can access them. This is in Outlook. what I need to know before i go and spend $$ on a new server is, how can this be done? Do I need Microsofts exchange server to accomplish this? Does exchange server run on its own or do i need to setup server 2003 and then put exchange server on it as well? Can this be done without a server (shared contacts and calendar) What is exchange server exactly? is it just an adva...

list of subtotals!
how can i get a list of subtotals? -via135 -- via135 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26725 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499188 Hi Via 135, This was found in excel help. Function_Num Function 1 AVERAGE 2 COUNT 3 COUNTA 4 MAX 5 MIN 6 PRODUCT 7 STDEV 8 STDEVP 9 SUM 10 VAR 11 VARP You can also look at this link http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions01.html Larry -- keithl816 ----------------------------------------------...

Sumproduct Question #3
=SUMPRODUCT(--(H15:H3000=B9)*(G15:G3000=C9),(l15:l3000)) This forumula doesn't quite do what I want. As it stands it sums the values in l15:l3000. What I want it to do is count the number of values in l15:l3000 providing the criteria is met in the first part of the forumula. I'm not quite sure how to do that. (l15:l3000 will have some blank cells if that matters.) Hi Jim, Am Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:48:40 -0700 schrieb JimS: > What I want it to do is count the number of > values in l15:l3000 providing the criteria is met in the first part of > the forumula. =SUMPRODUCT(--...

Question about percents and grouping
Suppose that I have a table that holds survey results. The survey has 10 questions, each with 3 results (say A, B, C). The survey is given out at different locations. I need to build a report that gives the total response for each question by site along with the percent. Something like the following: site 01 q1 A: 5 %50 B: 3 %30 C: 2 %20 q2 A: 6 %60 B: 1 %10 C: 3 %30 Etc. Is there an easy way to do this? My current method is kind of time consuming and klunky. I have built a query for each question that gives me the response count by ...

Can't import statement from Credit Union not on Microsoft list
I have followed thread on lost QFX import with no solution. My problem is the same. I don't want to go to Quicken but money 2004 and 2008 are failing in this simple matter. Is it possible to download a statement in "qfx" or "ofx" format ? I can't do it. Thanks to anyone who can help. In microsoft.public.money, Chin00kie wrote: >I have followed thread on lost QFX import with no solution. My problem is >the same. I don't want to go to Quicken but money 2004 and 2008 are failing >in this simple matter. Is it possible to download a statement ...

Creating a filter for a list box
I want to create a filter for a list box that I can turn off and on using a check box on the same form. Currently, I am using a query to filter the list box. The query serves as the data source for the box. Is there a way I can create a filter and then turn it on and off using a check box? Thank you for your help. Best, John Use criteria in the query like this --- Like IIf([forms]![myform]![mycheck]=-1,"*" & "s" & "*") & "*" The above only select items that have an 's' if box is checked. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a lit...

Exchange Calendar Update Tool Question
When running the exchange data update tool, do participants of updated calendar items have to manually accept each updated meeting again or is there a way to bypass this like with using just the Outlook tool? I thought the Exchange update tool is supposed to just be a way to run the Outlook tool in a batch form from the server. The Outlook tool is supposed to give you the option to update attendees or not, but I haven't seen this mentioned in documentation for the Exchange. - The Exchange Calendar Update Tool calls the Outlook Calendar Update Tool TzMove.exe (or as MS calls it, &q...

How can I use (IF) formula to pull data from list?
Can someone help me with a formula that will do the following? I have a list of courses (Algebra 1, Algebra 2, etc) and I have course codes (2032, 2033, etc). Different courses will be listed In my spreadsheet in column A. I want column B to automatically populate the correct course code form a list (perhaps on a hidden sheet like I use in Data Validation Drop Down lists). For example, Algebra 1 is entered in A3 and then the Algebra 1 course code would appear in B3. If Algebra 2 is entered in A4, then a different code will automatically appear in B4. Auto populating the course code will s...

Custom Cell Format Question
How would I format a cell in Excel 2003 that will show any IP address as four groups of three numbers separated by periods? For example, I would want 123.98.0.876 to appear as 123.098.000.876. The most extreme example being that I would want 1.1.1.1 to show as 001.001.001.001. I looked in the customer formatting box in Excel, but none of the formatting options allowed what I need. Thanks in advance. Formatting won't help. You could put each of the numbers in a separate cell (say B1:E1) and put a formula like this in A1: =text(b1,"000.")&text(c1,"000.")&...

Form Question #2
I'm having trouble figuring out how to start a form in excel. On sheet 1 I have the column headings. I want to be able to put the information in as I go. Am I supposed to have a list already created for the form to work? Please excuse my ignorance. Any suggestions which would lead me out of the tunnel would be greatly appreciated. Travis you just need the headings and at least one row of data and click anywhere in the field and choose Data>form and it should put a form field for each column heading. >-----Original Message----- >I'm having trouble figuring out how...

Printing Question
If you have a column of values like A1:A500, is there a way that when you print you can put 3 or 4 columns on each page? Like A1:A30, then A31:A60, then A61:A90, then page break and do the same thing on the rest of the pages? Seems like a feature people would use. Please point me in the right direction if there is one. TIA. Regards, ~ck David McRitchie has macro called SnakeCols that does what you like: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm ...

Can I export Distribution Lists?
A different department has asked us for a copy of all our distribution lists, members of those lists, their smtp e-mail addresses, x500 addresses, as well as group owners and who has rights to send to thos lists. How do I get that? We have about 100 distribution lists each with about 100 users. We are running Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000. Thanks Hi Boe, - Scripting this would produce much more readable output. I was able to modify a script I wrote a while back for general use. Posted to blog: http://www.suneja.com/blog/2006/02/script-list-distribution-groups.html It doesn't hav...

List box Scanning
Hi I am writing an application, which does some monitoring work. Here I have to include two buttons and a list box. Now I have to trap the WM_KEYDOWN/ WM_KEYUP messages and scan the contents of the list box. Can provide me some help in this issue? I am not sure, whether this is what you require... You can trap WM_KEYDOWN and WM_KEYUP messages in your application by writing command handlers for them. Inside your message map give ON_WM_KEYDOWN( ), and write the handler as void CMyView::OnKeyDown(UINT nChar, UINT nRepCnt, UINT nFlags) {} Similarly you can trap WM_KEYUP as well. Now to itera...

CAL License Question
Hi, Anyone know CAL license? How does it work? Does it require to install to each client PC ? What will happen if more than the CAL no. connect to the server ? If need to add new CAL license further time, does it possible add CAL without re-install Windows Server. remarks: in the case of Windows 2003 STD server Thanks, tlee I hope this article will answer all your questions: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/client-access-license.aspx -- Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http:...