PUTTING NUMBERS IN A CELL

I AM TRYING TO ENTER A NUMBER THAT BEGINS WITH ZERO'S AFTER I ENTER IT THE ZERO'S DISAPPEAR, HOW DO I KEEP THEM IN
0
anonymous (74717)

Please turn off the CAPS Lock,   more than two lines would
be extremely difficult to read.   Reading caps is annoying.

Format the column as text,  if the leading zero is important to
you then it is an identification not a number.  The default
alignment for text is left aligned which is also better for
most identification "numbers".

Credit card numbers are 16 digits, are identification and
can not be entered as numbers, ever,  because Excel only
retains 15 significant digits.

Identification "numbers"  are seldom used arithmetically,
except perhaps to create check digits, but that can usually
be done with strings anyway.
---
HTH,

"SONGBIRD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4387DA10-214E-42A8-9108-B00ACED96EFF@microsoft.com...
> I AM TRYING TO ENTER A NUMBER THAT BEGINS WITH ZERO'S AFTER I ENTER IT THE ZERO'S DISAPPEAR, HOW DO I KEEP THEM IN

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/2/2004 3:13:28 AM
make)and then enter your number

0
anonymous (74717)
4/2/2004 4:43:13 AM

Go to Format --> Number --> Custom --> then type in box the
number of zeros you want before the number.

For example, if you choose to type 0000000 in the box under
custom, your number of lets say 234 will appear as 0000234
in the cell.

0
anonymous (74717)
4/2/2004 6:28:52 AM
You can pre-format the cell for TEXT, or put a leading apostrophe (') on
your number........(the apostrophe will make it TEXT and not show up)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"McNiwram" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

0
croberts (1377)

change default cell alignment
Is there a way to change the default cell alignment from "bottom" to "top"? Thanks, Michelle You can make a template file and use that when you want to create a new workbook/worksheet. If you want it to become your "always" standard, you can create a new workbook and format it with every option you want. Then save it as a Template into your XLStart folder. Give it the name: Book.xlt Then every new workbook you start will use this as its basis. You can save a single sheet workbook in the same location with the name sheet.xlt and then every worksheet you ad...

Splitting cells?
I have been wondering the answer to this for a while - can you "split" a cell like in bowling, golf, etc. if you want to slash-through a rectanglar cell to make more than one cell holding data? Can this be done? Mike Hi You can give the appearance that you want, but any numeric data entered would be text and could not be used in any further calculation. To achieve the appearance, Format>Cells>Alignment>Wrap Text Format>Cells>Borders>choose Diagonal Enter your first number in the cell, press Alt+Enter which will force a line feed, then enter some spaces follo...

alphabetize within a cell
if i have a list of letters in a cell, is it possible to alphabetize them? example: ADCB --> ABCD On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:31:05 -0800 (PST), hiflyinskiier@gmail.com wrote: >if i have a list of letters in a cell, is it possible to alphabetize >them? > >example: ADCB --> ABCD If your cells are contiguous and in a single column, here is a method that will sort each cell and write the result into the cell in the adjacent column. It can be easily modified for different situations. To enter this Sub, <alt><F11> opens the VB Editor. Ensure your project is highlighte...

PUTTING NUMBERS IN A CELL
I AM TRYING TO ENTER A NUMBER THAT BEGINS WITH ZERO'S AFTER I ENTER IT THE ZERO'S DISAPPEAR, HOW DO I KEEP THEM IN Please turn off the CAPS Lock, more than two lines would be extremely difficult to read. Reading caps is annoying. Format the column as text, if the leading zero is important to you then it is an identification not a number. The default alignment for text is left aligned which is also better for most identification "numbers". Credit card numbers are 16 digits, are identification and can not be entered as numbers, ever, because Excel only retains 15 si...

3.0 Case and ticket numbering
In ver 3.0 when a new case is created, CRM assignes a case number to the case such as SR-01484-OT9D. The email generated for new cases has a CRM number in the subject line such as CRM:00060060. If emails are sent with the case number, SR-01484-OT9D, in the subject line, they do not get posted to the history of the ticket. Since customers, both internal, and external, use the case number for referance, can some tell me how to make sure emails get posted to the case history properly using only the case number in the subject line? The only way to accomplish this would be to write your...

Can you put white space outside a textbox?
When I put pictures in my publisher file, sometimes I want captions for the pictures. So I make a tiny textbox that I put under the picture, and type in a caption into that textbox. The problem is that I can make the picture have some space to left and right of it so that text doesn't crowd into the picture, but I can't do that with the textbox containing the caption. Is there any way to prevent outside text from crowding the borders of a textbox? You can move that textbox wherever you need. You don't need to leave space inside when you can steer clear of the textbox itself. ...

Number Formatting Issue
Hello, I download a monthly report that contains all of our departments incoming call volume. One column is the duration formatted as 0:01:09. When I try to do a sum I get a zero. I've tried different formatting and text to column and have to resort to copying that column into Word then doing a copy/paste special as text back into Excel for the sum function to work properly. Any suggestions? Thank you!! Cathy Sounds like your cell is text, not a time (at least to Excel). To convert to a time: -- Enter 0 in an unused cell -- Copy that cell -- Highlight your durat...

Numbers change to dates automatically
I have dot as a default date separator in regional settings (comma is a default decimal separator). Now, if i type in a cell e.g. 2.5 it becomes a date. Is there a way to prevent this change to date? I don't want to change reginal settings. Type 2,5 instead of 2.5 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Aa" <Aa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:107765F1-8B0E-4390-8332-D708D95C4FBE@microsoft.com... >I have dot as a default date separator in regional settings (comma is a > default decimal separator). Now, if i type in a cell e.g. 2.5 it becomes a > date....

ID inquiry about numbers in column A
Hi, I have 6000 id numbers in column A and I have had to delete some rows due to duplication. This now means those numbers which were in order 1 to 6000 now have numbers missing. How can I patch them up so that they are once again flowing from 1 to whatever. Thanks rock See other post. -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message news:uNXC%234iIKHA.1020@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have 6000 id numbers in column A and I have had to delete some rows due > to duplication. > > This now means those n...

Report: Reset page number in new section
Hi. I am a newcomer to Access database and would much appreciate your help in this matter. I've visited the threads about resetting page number in each new section in a report and actually pasted the code into my database. It works well in a report, where the section is the field control of the source query, but it seems to get "lost" when, in another report, with the same code inserted (and duly changed where necessary), the section is the result of a format function (Year: Format$([Date];"yyyy"). The unbound control name ctlGrpPages goes from Group Page 1 of 3,...

Restart automatic table numbering in Annex
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I use the automatic numbering of Tables and Figures when creating captions. This generally works ok (although I sometimes get numbering out of sequence when more than one figure on a page), but I've run into a problem. <br><br>I have multiple tables in the main part of the report that I want numbered in the normal way. I also have multiple tables in the annex to the report (which is part of the same document) and I would like the numbering of these tables to start from 1 again (perhaps A1, A2 e...

Numbers V Text
I want to print out a document but I don't want it all printed out in numbers I want the text printed out. Here is what I don't want it say 223, I want to say =SUM(C7:C11)/15 I am sure it can be done via "Options" but I can't work out how. Jim Ducat Toggle the view to Formula View - Ctrl + ` (that's the same key as the tilde ~) MRO "James Ducat" <jd007f1618@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:x627b.16604$qK6.394@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk... > I want to print out a document but I don't want it all printed out in > numbers I wan...

Some Cells Not Working
I have a spreadsheet I'm trying to use to sort through data on. I have the data arranged in a chart and I'm using the AND command to sort though the data. The problem is I'm using the same formula for all the rows but only some of them work. Here�s the way the data is laid out: A B C D 1 1 2 1/4 3 1.5 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1 1/4 1.5 =AND(A10=$A$1,B10=$A$2,C10=$A$3) 11 1 1/4 2 ABOVE FORMULA COPIED TO ALL ROWS 12 1 3/8 2.5 13 1 3/8 3 14 1 1/2 3.5 15 2 1...

too many cell formats.. can't open the file at all...
Hi all, A user had a "too many cell formats" error and saved the file. Now the file will not open. Excel reports: Unable to open. too many cell formats. Any way to recover the file ? thanks, dcreber@camford(press).co(uk) remove the ( ) to reply direct.. please use the thread as well. Hi, Excel has built in restrictions in number of cell formats that a workbook can contain (appx 4000). To avoid this problem, try to reduce the cell formats by selecting a large no of cells and giving it a cell format. In this way, all the selected cells will have only one cell format. But...

How do I show all words in a cell?
I am trying to help my daughter do a crossword puzzel project for school. At the bottom of the puzzel, we were trying to put the clues. How do we show all the text in a cell without expanding the cell ot wrapping the text? If you don't provide the space to see all the content, how are you going to see it?!?!?! BOOMCCORMICK wrote: > I am trying to help my daughter do a crossword puzzel project for school. At > the bottom of the puzzel, we were trying to put the clues. How do we show > all the text in a cell without expanding the cell ot wrapping the text? ...

Item Creditor Maintenance
On GP7.5 in the Item Creditor Maintenance Window there is a field below the Creditor Item and Creditor Description for manufacturing Part Number. This seems to have disappeared on GP9 and GP10, the field is still available in the IV00103 Table and when adding the filed to the Window it appears to update the Table. Any-one esle come across this and the reason it was removed. Thanks. -- Mick Mick, it hasn't be removed - just moved. You have to open the Item Detail window (click on the little blue expansion arrow next to the Item heading). In the Item Detail window, click on the but...

Where to put SQL statements in VC++ Application
I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in the string table is a good idea. Is there a better place to store these statements?? Thanks in advance for any responses. Dominic Inline in the code, they arnt particually helpful to put in the string table. -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com "Those people that think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" Isaac Asimov <dominicgualtieri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1129050897.519688.176820@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in...

When entering data into excel spreadsheet cell, the page just jum.
I am trying to add data to an existing worksheet this morning. I can click on the clel, but when I try to enter the data, the worksheet "jumps", am unable to enter any data. What have I done wrong? try the Num Lock key >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to add data to an existing worksheet this morning. I can click >on the clel, but when I try to enter the data, the worksheet "jumps", am >unable to enter any data. What have I done wrong? >. > ...

Can't change a cell name back
I had a cell named "MP2OZ". It was supposed to be "ML2OZ" for milliliters to ounces. When I noticed the typo, I selected the cell, then clicked in the Name Box, and typed the correct name. As soon as I did it, I realized that this would not change the formulas that use that name. So, I changed it back (to MP2OZ) and then opened up the Name Manager (Ctrl+F3) and tried to change MP2OZ to ML2OZ. The Name Manager says that both the old and new names are already in use and to choose a different name. But the Name Manager only shows the one name (MP2OZ). It does not show ML2OZ....

Turn a series of numbers in a cell into specific ranges
I will have on going spreadsheets that will have one column of comma delimited numbers.- the cell could contain anywhere from 15 - 150 numbers. What the desired result would be - in a new column is to turn that series of numbers into ranges or groupings for instance in my cell if I had 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,12,13,14,15,17,18,19,20,21 my new column would contain 1-8,12-15,17-21 Each spreadsheet might have 15-20 rows - possibly more so a macro or formula that would do this would be ideal - I'm honestly jsut stuck on what to search on to find my answer... This UDF seemed to work ok for ...

Display Numbers As Text
I would like to make a form to print cheques from excel. I need to know how to display the amount entered as text. ie. $1,324.00 display as: **** One thousand three hundred twenty four *** and 00/100 Can anyone help??? Thankyou ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ From the Microsoft Knowledge Base: How to Convert a Numeric Value into English Words, at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140704 -- HTH - -Frank Microsoft Excel MV...

VLOOKUP Returning a copy of a cell
I want to use VLOOKUP to return not just the value in the cell but also the formating of the cell. For instance, if this is my table 1 Frog 2 Sheep 3 Cow and I do a VLOOKUP(2, A:B, 2, FALSE) I will get "Sheep". However, if Sheep is has a format that is for instance a strikethrough, then it will still show up as "Sheep". How can I return the format as well? Is there a way to use VLOOKUP to return a copy of the cell? Thanks, Kevin A formula can only return a value to a cell. It can not return formatting. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP...

Put app and icon in task bar?
I have an MFC application that I want to be able to put in the task bar as a small icon and have it pop up the dialog when selected from the task bar. This app is intended to be run from the start up menu and be minimized in the task bar along with all the other start items... Pointers on how to please... By default app goes on the task bar. Do you mean system tray (that by default appears on the bottom right of the screen)? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "ShipHead" <GoAway@SpamBoy.com> wrote in message news:#g1K8UgEFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I...

Dependent Formatting (Text or Numbers
Hello All, I am attempting create formatting for an object based upon the value displayed. If the value is six numbers entered without spaces (Ex. 123456), then the formatting should be "##-##-##" (Ex. 12-34-56). Otherwise, the object must allow regular text. I have tried several different methods but with no luck. Below is my most recent attempt. I tried inserting it into the "lost focus", "on change", and "after update actions". Many thanks in advance for helping clear up a headache. If Me.AccountCode1 Like "######" Then Me.AccountCode...

text in a cell
i have a word in excel that i would like to populate to different cells what is the formula to copy a word into another cell One way: A1: word A2: =A1 In article <8217C379-40A3-4FA5-A1EF-1C6BA93AF6EF@microsoft.com>, Debbie <Debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i have a word in excel that i would like to populate to different cells what > is the formula to copy a word into another cell ...