Protect Workbook Vs Protect Sheet

Hiii hope u are all ok. i have a problem about protect workbook.when i go to
tools menus and then point to Protection and click on the protect work book
to protect workbook can't be done as it should be.. probably i don't know the
proper way how to  protect a workbook........ plz help me . thank u very much
indeed. (inadvance)

Hi there,

you can protect the workbook itself (against modification = read only, or
even fully, against all access) when saving the file:
file menu/ save as/ Tools (dropdown list on the panel right hand side) /
settings
and adding the PW

hope, this helps,
Regards,
ANdras

"Poor_pakistani" wrote:

> Hiii hope u are all ok. i have a problem about protect workbook.when i go to
> tools menus and then point to Protection and click on the protect work book
> to protect workbook can't be done as it should be.. probably i don't know the
> proper way how to  protect a workbook........ plz help me . thank u very much
> indeed. (inadvance)

0
ANdras (21)
5/1/2006 10:05:02 AM
There are several types of password protection.

1.  Password to open the file.  Can be set at File>Save As>Tools>General
Options.

2.  Password on a protected worksheet.  This is set at Tools>Protection>Protect
Sheet.

Many functions can be disabled using this type of protection.

3.  Workbook Protection password.  This is set at Tools>Protection>Protect
Workbook.

This protects the workbook from having sheets deleted and other functions
disabled.

4.  VBA Project password to prevent viewers from looking at code modules.

NOTE:  except for File to Open protection and VBA project passwords, most forms
of Excel protection are very weak and passwords can be easily cracked.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:47:01 -0700, Poor_pakistani
<Poorpakistani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hiii hope u are all ok. i have a problem about protect workbook.when i go to
>tools menus and then point to Protection and click on the protect work book
>to protect workbook can't be done as it should be.. probably i don't know the
>proper way how to  protect a workbook........ plz help me . thank u very much
>indeed. (inadvance)

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
0
Gord
5/1/2006 5:31:15 PM
it don't work

"ANdras" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> you can protect the workbook itself (against modification = read only, or
> even fully, against all access) when saving the file:
> file menu/ save as/ Tools (dropdown list on the panel right hand side) /
> settings
> and adding the PW
>
> hope, this helps,
> Regards,
> ANdras
>
> "Poor_pakistani" wrote:
>
> > Hiii hope u are all ok. i have a problem about protect workbook.when i go to
> > tools menus and then point to Protection and click on the protect work book
> > to protect workbook can't be done as it should be.. probably i don't know the
> > proper way how to  protect a workbook........ plz help me . thank u very much
> > indeed. (inadvance)

still it doesn't work . plzzzz i want some one to tell me how to apply
protect workbook on my workbook i need someone to tell me the procedure from
a to z i do want that though i know that it protect ur sheets from delete etc.
thanks hope u can understand me well this time

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> There are several types of password protection.
>
> 1.  Password to open the file.  Can be set at File>Save As>Tools>General
> Options.
>
> 2.  Password on a protected worksheet.  This is set at Tools>Protection>Protect
> Sheet.
>
> Many functions can be disabled using this type of protection.
>
> 3.  Workbook Protection password.  This is set at Tools>Protection>Protect
> Workbook.
>
> This protects the workbook from having sheets deleted and other functions
> disabled.
>
> 4.  VBA Project password to prevent viewers from looking at code modules.
>
> NOTE:  except for File to Open protection and VBA project passwords, most forms
> of Excel protection are very weak and passwords can be easily cracked.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:47:01 -0700, Poor_pakistani
> <Poorpakistani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hiii hope u are all ok. i have a problem about protect workbook.when i go to
> >tools menus and then point to Protection and click on the protect work book
> >to protect workbook can't be done as it should be.. probably i don't know the
> >proper way how to  protect a workbook........ plz help me . thank u very much
> >indeed. (inadvance)
>
> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

Password Protect Outlook #2
I work in an offcie environment and sometimes have to leave my PC unattended for just a few minutes. Unfortunately some confidential emails have been read by my staff and I need a way of safeguarding them other than turning off the PC, is there any way I can password protect access into my Outlook 2000, so all I do is close Outlook. (Sorry still operating under W95) Many thanks You can set a password on a Personal Folders File. If the folder list isn't visible in Outlook, click View | Folder List. Right-click the root folder (usually "Personal Folders" or "Outlook T...

protecting outlined data
I want to be able to use the expand/collapse function in outlines when the worksheet is protected. Copy this macro in a normal module It will run automatic when you open the workbook You can also use the workbook open event Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="rbelecki", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True End With End Sub Look in the VBA help for more information about protect(userinterfaceonly) -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "rbelecki" <rbelecki@l...

Macros Disabled by 2010 Shared Workbook
Hi there. I have a shared work book which contains VBA. We have always run it in 2003. Recently, we leapfrogged 2007 and went to 2010. It seems that in shared mode, the VBA is disabled. When I remove shared mode, the VBA comes alive again. Is there a setting to correct this behaviour or is this simply the reality in Office 2010? Thanks in advance, Darren ...

create a separate list from checked items only in a workbook
I want to create a separate list from only checked items in a workbook, without empty lines between the items. One way .. try this option Suppose you have in Sheet1, cols A and B, data from row2 down Prod Desc Check Item1 Text1 x Item2 Text2 Item3 Text3 x Item4 Text4 x etc where col C is used to check (type: "x") items for extract into a separate list Using an empty col to the right, say, col E Put in E2: =IF(C2="","",IF(C2="x",ROW(),"")) Copy E2 down by a safe "max" number of rows to accomodate the data expected in cols A and ...

Quicken Password protected
I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my data from Quicken and the program says there is a password for my quicken account that is required, but I never had a password. No way to get past this. Any ideas? If your data file is Q04, Money04 can only deal with Q03 or older. Otherwise, who knows? "Stephen Weiss" <stephenaweiss@comcast.net> wrote in message news:012f01c3cb22$9a957ac0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my > data from Quicken and the program says there is a password > for my quicken account that is req...

How to protect 2. axis in an Excel Chart to stay if data changes
A Pivot table is created on Tab1 in an Excel workbook. On Tab2 there is a Line Chart created with data from Tab 1 using 2 axis. If data in Tab1 change the 2nd axis on Tab 2 disappears, jumps ober and overrules axis 1. How can I protect chart area with 2 axis being able to change referring data in the pivot table. ...

Password protection on split database
I have a database which is split into front end and back end. The front end is password protected but the backend isn't Is it possible to protect both with the same password? I've tried protecting the backend with a password but when I open the front end it can't "see" the backend. Any ideas? Thanks Tony Put a password on the backend, then, after opening the front-end, use the Linked Table Manager to update the links (just like you would if you had moved the backend). You should be prompted for the 'missing' password during this process. You should only...

Protection
Hi everyone OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there a way that I can put a password for my profile on Microsoft outlook so that no one can read the new AND the old messages found in my inbox? You can put a password on your PST file, presuming you use a PST file... Emad Kamel wrote: > Hi everyone, > OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has > access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there > a way that I can put a password for my profile on Micr...

Can i move multiple lines between workbooks
I have a .csv format file listing speed cameras, and the different speeds are identified by two characters at the end of each line - 30, 40, 50 etc. I would like to create separate files for each speed, but Excel won't allow me to cut/copy several lines to created a new file/workbook. Is there any way round this? Martin Ellis Sun, 16 Sep 2007 03:28:00 -0700 from Martin Ellis <MartinEllis@discussions.microsoft.com>: > I have a .csv format file listing speed cameras, and the different speeds are > identified by two characters at the end of each line - 30, 40, 50 etc...

CANNOT PROTECT
Trying to password and read only protect a Microsoft Word docuement that is embedded in Excel. When I open the "protected" document, the read-only prompt does not appear...and I can still make changes and close the docuement. HELP! Try this: create the document directly in word, protect it and save it to disk. Then copy the text you want and past it special as an OLE object in excel Peter ...

lookup data in a different workbook
I export a list of items from Quickbooks. Quickbooks will export as a xls file. I want to create a different worksheet or workbook that will look u data in this file. I need to find data in a certain column in a certai row. So when my data changes in Quickbooks, I export the file, and the in another workbook or worksheet, update, based on the new or update data. I have tried the lookup wizard but it will not let me use different worksheet or workbook. I can make it work in the sam worksheet. So what I'm looking for is a direction where to start. I have made man complex Excel worksheets, ...

Multiple Workbooks / Worksheets
I want to create a spreadsheet/macro that the user can use to print of a booklet/pack for example...im in spreasheet the user would enter the location of th file/sheet name and the macor would print... C:\my file\file1.xls Sheet3 & sheet5 C:\my file\file3.xls Sheet2 All the workbooks are in the same folder, but need various/mixe worksheets printing from them. Where would i start / is this possibl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

MSCRM 3.0 Hosted Vs On-Premise
Hi, We are in the process of developing an integration between MS CRM 3.0 with another application suite. I wanted to understand the difference(s) in design / authentication when CRM is used in a hosted environment vis-a-vis the On-premise environment. In terms of authentication, does CRM 3.0 only integrate with Active Directory or can we expect form-based authentication also in the hosted scenario? Also, does CRM 3.0 hosted installation support multi-tenancy? Thanks, - Vivek Thanks Chad, This link only talk about the advantages with the hosted solution, I am looking more from an Integ...

Shared Workbook Settings, End User Update Changes Refresh Rate
How can I change the default update change refresh rate on PC's that are accessing a shared file? (currently set for 15 minutes, I need 5 Minutes by default). I know how to change it in the share workbook menu for each session, I need to have it always be 5 minutes so that it won't need to be changed each file opening.... ...

How to protect cells?
I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone but me. Is this possible? Thanks. Mark, Please don't multipost. See the thread in .programming. John "Mark F." <m7829@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FSzQb.10797$6o4.894@fe2.texas.rr.com... > I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a > group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on > the same she...

Spreadsheet password protection
How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help section. You can prevent un authorised access by giving a password to open the workbook itself, so that no one else can open it (Go to Tools, Options and then Security Tab). You can do it there if you have already saved the file, or you can go to "save as" then "Tools" and "General Options" where you can give password. On the other hand you can protect work sheets and ranges for different people by using "Tools" and then "Protection" Tab -- M Imran Buha...

quick copy worksheet into other sheets in same workbook
I am wanting to copy a worksheet that is set up to show student results, targets and achievements into approximately 150 other worksheets in the same workbook. Is there a quick way of doing this other than copying and pasting? I want formats, colours and column widths etc to stay the same. In other words I want to produce about 150 identical copies of my layout as quickly as possible with the minimum of effort. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered Right-click on the worksheet tab and select "Move or Copy", then use the dialog box that appear...

can't rename a sheet
Hi, I got the following error when I tried to rename a sheet (chart) back to it� s original name: �Cannot rename a sheet to the same name as another sheet, a referenced object library or a workbook referenced by Visual Basic� Here�s what happened: I initially created a sheet named �mychart� I made another sheet �mychart(2)� by copying �mychart�, and deleted �mychart�. I found out �mychart� was still referenced in VBAProject as �chart4(mychart)�, even the sheet was deleted. And I couldn�t delete �chart4(mychart)� in VBA Project Explorer. Any way to fix it? Thanks a lot. I'm not sur...

How to Activate "Show all" in a Protected Shared Workbook
Hi, I created a protected and shared workbook in Excel 2003 ,the default Filter Option is "Auto Filter" how can I use the "Show All" in Filtering.? even I unchecked the "Filter Settings" in "Tools-> Share Workbook -> Advanced -> Include Personal View " but it did not work. Thanks. You can't. If the workbook were not shared, then you could create your own macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the showall and reprotects the worksheet. But with the workbook shared, you can't change the protection of a shee...

Password protected sheet access
I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. How do I access this sheet? Ps: the "read only" option is not available. Thanks, Rivane. Hi Rivane Is this the password for opening the file, or the one for unlocking locked cells in the already open sheet ? Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Rivane Cardim" <rivane.cardim@exxonmobil.com> wrote in message news:0a8801c35dae$a03275a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. > How do I access this sheet? > > Ps: the "read only...

comparing data in different sheets
I have data set for each quarter, like sales, profits, margins. The dat is for more than 1000 companies and in different worksheets: Eac quarter is in each seperate worksheet. It gets frustrating to keep on switching between each worksheet to ge a comparative number. Is there a way out -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In situations like this I generally create a summary sheet and reference the cells from all of the other worksheets. Set up the layout for the summary sheet and then select a cell you want to mirror the value from another worksheet. With the cell selected, ...

Protecting a Worksheet
Does anybody know how to protect a workbook so that a user CANNOT unhide a sheet, CANNOT add rows to the viewable sheet, CANNOT alter locked cells, but CAN add text to a comments column which will expand and Wrap text as the comments increase in size? I understand how to protect/unprotect locked cells, but I cannot find the right combination for the above functionality. Is it even possible? Any help is greatly appreciated. Jeff When a _Workbook_ is protected (Tools, Protection, Protect Workbook, Structure) sheets cannot be unhidden. When a _Worksheet_ is protected locked cells ca...

How to tell when Bill Payment is done electronically vs. paper check?
Am I correct in thinking that if I pay a bill via an epay, and I never get a paper check in return from my bank, then the payee was paid electronically, i.e., the payment to the payee never involved any paper check anywhere through the process? I recently switched from MSN Bill Pay to my bank's bill pay service (I send payments from within M03 for both). There's a piece of information missing for me when I switched to using my bank as the bill payer: I don't have a list of 'participating billers' (such as on the MSN Bill Pay website). Unless I determine who the t...

HTML Output- XSLT 2.0 vs DataBinding/DataRepeater
I wonder what the performance trade off is between using XSL vs .Net Databinding to produce HTML output. It seems they both do a similar thing and either one could be chosen to solve problems such as rendering webservice call results. Is there any information on this floating around? It would be very useful to understand this. Thanks Joe Warwick Developer Ninemsn.com.au ...

Excel Sheet Protection
I am trying to protect a spreadsheet from any editing, while allowing the user to use the autofilter and sorting function. I tried checking the "Use AutoFilter" and "Sort" checkboxes in the Protect Sheet dialog box to protect the document. It does allow you to filter records based on selecting a value from the drop down list box of the autofilter, but it does not allow me to sort. Please help! If you have locked cells that are in the range to sort, then checking that box in the tools|Protection|protect sheet dialog won't work for you. You may want to provid...