problem with Data|Text to Columns

I wrote a while back and was possibly not clear - I do a lot of data
import and clean up - on this new computer, the subject topic, which I
call data parsing, does not work correctly. I have to divide the columns
with one extra space, which I never had to do before. I hate to think of
uninstalling excel, but if that's what it takes . . .

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Happy New Year
--

Regards,

P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York
0
pdsterling (47)

P D Sterling" <pdsterling@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> call data parsing, does not work correctly. I have to divide the columns
> with one extra space,

One possibility is that the imported data now contains non-breaking spaces,
Character(160)

To check, with data that does not respond to Text to Columns arranging, in
say A1, enter in another call:

=SEARCH(CHAR(160),A1)

If it returns a number then you have a non-breaking space, if you get
#VALUE! then you don't.

If you do have a non-breaking space then try Text to Columns w5th both space
and other ticked in the second step and in the *other* box enter 0160 with
the Alt key held pressed.  Note: the 0160 *must* be entered from the number
pad *not* the numbers above the letters.

This should separate the words whether they have spaces or non-breaking
spaces.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

sandymann2@mailinator.com

"P D Sterling" <pdsterling@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I wrote a while back and was possibly not clear - I do a lot of data import
>and clean up - on this new computer, the subject topic, which I call data
>parsing, does not work correctly. I have to divide the columns with one
>extra space, which I never had to do before. I hate to think of
>uninstalling excel, but if that's what it takes . . .
>
> Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Happy New Year
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> P D Sterling
> New York, Texas & Texas, New York

0
sandymann2 (1054)
1/2/2008 2:12:42 PM
this is a great idea, and I will test it out immediately. many thanks
and Happy New Year

Regards,

P D McIntosh Sterling

Sandy Mann wrote:
> P D Sterling" <pdsterling@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> call data parsing, does not work correctly. I have to divide the columns
>> with one extra space,
>
> One possibility is that the imported data now contains non-breaking spaces,
> Character(160)
>
> To check, with data that does not respond to Text to Columns arranging, in
> say A1, enter in another call:
>
> =SEARCH(CHAR(160),A1)
>
> If it returns a number then you have a non-breaking space, if you get
> #VALUE! then you don't.
>
> If you do have a non-breaking space then try Text to Columns w5th both space
> and other ticked in the second step and in the *other* box enter 0160 with
> the Alt key held pressed.  Note: the 0160 *must* be entered from the number
> pad *not* the numbers above the letters.
>
> This should separate the words whether they have spaces or non-breaking
> spaces.

0
pdsterling (47)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

pivot table grand totals not showing for all columns...
i have a pivot table that shows the grand total for some columns, but not for others... there are no differences in the data layout, yet this happens? any clues as to why? and how I can get the grand totals to show for all fields. thanx in the PivotTable floating toolbar, click PviotTable, then Table Options, select 'Grand totals for columns' option. ...

calendar problem

problem #4

Copy Filtered Data
I am filtering my data that is in the range A:AJ starting on row 13 with headers and having a variable ending row. My filter criteria is Column 1 not blank and Column 11 ="s". I would like to copy the filtered date (No headers) to another work book beginning in BE3. Thanks! Hi, Once the data is filtered, highlight it, press CTRL + G, special, visible cells only, press CTRL + C, go to the sheet where you want the information and press CTRL + V "sailor4life61@yahoo.com" wrote: > I am filtering my data that is in the range A:AJ starting on row 13 > wi...

95 and 97 problem

hidden text
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Someone has sent me a message on FirstClass indicating that there is a hidden message embedded within. I couldn't locate it so I pasted the message into Word (thinking that I might be able to locate it this way.) Nope. Can't find how to recover or discover hidden text. No idea -- I'd suggest you check the FirstClass site on how to use the product or get clarification from the sender. I doubt it has anything to do with Mac Office at all. Good Luck |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 1/23/10 12:13 PM, i...

Date problem

sync problems

how to skip a column when entering data?
On one worksheet, for the sake of appearance Column B contains a calculated amount, which is the product of Column A and Column C. Is there a way to skip to column C when entering the data in Column A without doing it manually? Thanks, Godzilla This will give you the idea. right click on sheet tab>view code>insert this>SAVE Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Row > 2 And Target.Column = 1 Then ActiveCell.Offset(, 2).Select End Sub "Godzilla" <Godzilla@monster.org> wrote in message news:MPG.19e3d6a7ae92e03398971a@news....

data return based on two criteria
Hello, I have the following data in excel A2:A5 - cells are merged and contains partnumber (alpha numeric & numeric) C1:AF1 - DATE C2 - initial stock (number) C3 - receipts data (number) C4 - production (number) C5 = available stock (C2+C3)-C4 Similar data is maintained for 25 partnumbers I would like to have a sheet where the users can input date & partnumber and get available stock data. Your help will be highly appreciated. Regards, Jimmy Joseph Hello, Help please! Jimmy Joseph <jimmy.joseph@in.bosch.com> wrote in news:Xns97DB7A8693AB8jimmyjosephinboschco@clien...

Extender-Create a new data entry window
Is it possible to create a new extender form or window (not sure of the terminology) to enter data into Dynamics? Specifically the Sales Forecast Window in Manufacturing is terrible for entering data, everytime you move to the right, it the scrolling window jumps back to the top and you have to find the item again. Anyway, I would like a new window to enter a sales forecast, is this possible? thanks -- Doug Unfortunately Extender data is stored in Extender tables and cannot be stored in the Sales Forecast tables. I agree with you that the data entry screen is horrible. I am tal...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Data Ribbon disabled
I'm trying to do a "what-if analysis" for my beginning Excel class and when I click on the appropriate cell and then the Data ribbon, all of the options are greyed out. While struggling with this, I noticed the options on the Insert ribbon are also greyed out but the other tabs are fine. I appreciate any insight. Hi, Check the Review tab, the worksheet may be protected. Check you do not have multiple sheets selected, [Group] will be displayed in the title bar is you have. Cheers Andy Akcath wrote: > I'm trying to do a "what-if analysis"...

Resource editor problems

Using Checkboxes to add data to a table.
I have been having trouble developing this form for a couple of days. It seems the solution should be simple but so am I. I have an input form with four text boxes. I need to use the same data and create a new line in the table for up to but not always 9 different company positions. I was given a possible way of keeping the info on the form for the next position using the AfterUpdate event and setting the default back to the same box. But in using his suggestion I get #NAME? for the boxes with text when I select the next new record. The boxes with numbers come back the way he said it wo...

Directory Replication Problem #2

Software of scripting to grab data from MS word file and fill in Excel fields?
I have a 90 page financial report from MS word that I get each month. I would like to find a software package or scripting tool that will allow me to automate the process of grabbing #s from the ms word file and filling in fields in an excel file. I have a feel that there may be quite of programming involved in doing this. But perhaps there are some more efficient solutions out there. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks Hi, Do the numbers appear in the same part of the word document each tim (eg always in the same row/column of the same table). If so, copyin the data into excel should be ...

Cell Format