numbers in a cell change

When I type numeric numbers in a cell they change to a type of formula when I
exit the cell.  How do I get them to stay  numeric only?
--
GeorgeA
0

I just can't picture what you're describing.

Could you post some examples?
--

Regards,

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"GeorgeA" <GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
When I type numeric numbers in a cell they change to a type of formula when
exit the cell.  How do I get them to stay  numeric only?
--
GeorgeA

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
7/1/2006 9:37:04 PM
George

Post an example of the numbers you type and the formula you see when you exit
the cell.

Or maybe one of the psychics in here will not need that info<g>

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:00:02 -0700, GeorgeA <GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>When I type numeric numbers in a cell they change to a type of formula when I
>exit the cell.  How do I get them to stay  numeric only?

0
Gord
7/1/2006 9:44:43 PM
Example:  610300012569 changes to 6.103E+11
--
GeorgeA

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> George
>
> Post an example of the numbers you type and the formula you see when you exit
> the cell.
>
> Or maybe one of the psychics in here will not need that info<g>
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:00:02 -0700, GeorgeA <GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >When I type numeric numbers in a cell they change to a type of formula when I
> >exit the cell.  How do I get them to stay  numeric only?

0
GeorgeA (3)
7/1/2006 9:56:01 PM
Make the cell wider and/or change the format from General to Number.

--

HTH,

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> George
>
> Post an example of the numbers you type and the formula you see when you
exit
> the cell.
>
> Or maybe one of the psychics in here will not need that info<g>
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:00:02 -0700, GeorgeA
<GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >When I type numeric numbers in a cell they change to a type of formula
when I
> >exit the cell.  How do I get them to stay  numeric only?

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
7/1/2006 10:09:23 PM
In General format, when the cell is not wide enough to display the number,
the number can be displayed in any of 3 forms.

Very narrow = #####
Little wider = 6.103E+11
Wide Enough = 610300012569

In Number format, it'll either be
#####
OR
the actual number.

--

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> George
>
> Post an example of the numbers you type and the formula you see when you
exit
> the cell.
>
> Or maybe one of the psychics in here will not need that info<g>
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:00:02 -0700, GeorgeA
<GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >When I type numeric numbers in a cell they change to a type of formula
when I
> >exit the cell.  How do I get them to stay  numeric only?

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
7/1/2006 10:15:36 PM
Thanks for your info...changing to number format worked; however, I am not
sure why I had to do that as the cell is quite a bit wider than the string of
numbers.
--
GeorgeA

"RagDyeR" wrote:

> In General format, when the cell is not wide enough to display the number,
> the number can be displayed in any of 3 forms.
>
> Very narrow = #####
> Little wider = 6.103E+11
> Wide Enough = 610300012569
>
> In Number format, it'll either be
> #####
> OR
> the actual number.
>
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>

> "GeorgeA" <GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Example:  610300012569 changes to 6.103E+11
> --
> GeorgeA
>

> "Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
> > George
> >
> > Post an example of the numbers you type and the formula you see when you
> exit
> > the cell.
> >
> > Or maybe one of the psychics in here will not need that info<g>
> >

> > Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
> >

> > On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:00:02 -0700, GeorgeA
> <GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >When I type numeric numbers in a cell they change to a type of formula
> when I
> > >exit the cell.  How do I get them to stay  numeric only?

0
GeorgeA (3)

Make Cell Perfectly Square
How do you make a Cell perfectly square? As you probably know, the Row Height and Column Widths are measured in different units...or, maybe the same units but 1 unit is not the same for both. Is there some sort of ratio that can be used to make a cell perfectly square? I read somewhere that it is 16:2 (height to width), but that doesn't look right to me...unless I'm doing the calculation wrong. If this is indeed the right ratio, could someone provide me with an example of how to calculate this? If this isn't the correct ratio...or there's some other way to make the cell perfect...

Numbering
Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:07:02 -0700, carosaam <carosaam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? Yes. Do you mean for the process names or function names? Yes. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/ Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/ Electronics Packages for Visio http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

How do I expand the number of characters in Access comment box?
I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 characters in a "Comment" box. Hi, You could try changing your table's field type to Memo. Assuming that your are talking about a field in a table, that maybe shows on a form. If that is not the case, please describe precisely what comment box your are attempting to use. Clifford Bass Pearlene wrote: >I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 >characters in a "Comment" box. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Change Default Folders?
Hi! We deployed Exchange 2003 in English version. Our clients use Outlook 2003 in German. When the login to Exchange over RPC over HTTPS they have Outlook folder in both languages. The default folder for Outlook are folders in English. But they want change their default folder from English to German and delete the folders in English. To start Outlook with switch /resetfoldernames did not solve the problem. How can they change the default folders? How can we fix this problem? Thanks in advance. Mustafa ...

negative number to positive number
How can I change a negative number to positive number Multiply by -1 or use the ABS() function. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I change a negative number to positive number =ABS(##) or mult it by -1 -- Regards Rob "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I chan...

Hide page numbers for mutliple discontiquous levels
Hi: I need to hide the page numbers for levels 1 and 7 in my TOC. I used the \n switch to hide level 1, but cannot find a way to specify multiple ranges for this switch. Is there a way to do this? I am using Word 2003. Phil You have to use a trick. See the "Omitting page numbers for noncontiguous levels" section of http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm#OmitPageNumbers -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Phillip Llacuna" <phillip.v.llacuna@lmco.com> wrote in me...

1-52 pages, 8,000 employee numbers
Dear Excel, I have the ultimate challenge: to do job books for 8,000 employees. The form is completed, but the request is to make booklets of 52 pages for each employee. Each page of the booklet must also have each employee's number on it (0001 to 8000). Each page o fthe booklet must be numbered with the week number from 01 to 52. Therefore I need to auto generate 416,000 pages. Ridiculous I know but nobody listens to us! How can I export the above scenario to PDF from Excel? Thanks On Apr 19, 2:17=A0pm, gatecrasherg13 gatecrasherg13 <gatecrasher...@gmail.com> wr...

How to refer to a range except one cell
Hi, I'm trying to average a range except one cell in the middle of that range (or alternatively to condition on a range made of two separate sections). The formula I'm trying to use is the following: =IF(AND(B$47>0, B$53=2), B$47-AVERAGEIF(B$45:B$50, ">0"), "-") Except, instead of B45:B50 in AVERAGEIF, I want the range to be B45:B46 and B48:B50 (i.e. without the cell B47). Can anyone tell me how to use a split range with AVERAGEIF or how to tell it not to look at cell B47? Grateful for any advice. Thanks! Just use some helper cells:...

Change of Colour to a cell when "Warning" is in that cell
After some help. Say in column D i want all the cells with the word "Warning" to b yellow, all the cells with the word "Normal" to be green. I think have to write a Visual Basic script, but i dont know how to. I need i to automatically update when the words move, so it needs to be live -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi no VBA required. -Goto 'Format - Conditional Format' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > After some help. > Say in column D i want all the cells with the word "Warning" to be > yellow, all the cell...

Sequential numbering in Number field
When I am entering transactions manually, I will put "Debit" or "VISA" to indicate how the withdrawl was made. When I download my account information, Money05 overwrites this with a sequential number. I have to go into the entry a second time to redo my change. Does anyone know how to turn this "feature" off? I want my values used - sequential numbering does not help me in the slightest. This is not a "feature" you can turn off. It's a reflection of the basic premise of downloaded transaction data. The presumption with downloading data...

Number of Cells in a column
Hi, I want to add this formula in my ESS. COUNTIF(sheet1!S2:S43,"*Yes*") to find out the number of value containing "YES". My concern is I don't have fixed count from S2 to S43. It could be something else. What can I do to have this code reusable? I thought something like COUNTIF(Sheet!S2:Count($S2),"*Yes*") \But it doesnt work Thanks for your help Jack Try this if there is nothing else in that column:- =COUNTIF(sheet1!S:S,"*Yes*") -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - ...

General Number Format Changed
Excel 2003 on XP I have a collegue who's Excel setting for General number format displays as 0.1 instead of 1 in the sample box. ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in ".1" (as in 0.1) you get "1". Where in the settings can this General format be returned to standard? Many thanks DeanH Sorry that should have been: ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in "1." (as in 1.0) you get "1". "DeanH" wrote: > Excel 2003 on XP > I have a collegue who's Excel setting for G...

How to define cells so that only numbers can be filled?
Hi, How could I format cells in excel so that only numbers can be filled The input should be integer e.g. between 0...99 and cells shoud no accept any other marks, such as space, letters... simply nothing els but integers. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Juha! Try: Data > Validation You'll find it pretty intuitive and very flexible as to what you can do as far a restricting input to a cell. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fre...

Numbering, revisited
While there are already a lot of posts about numbering, I haven't been able to find the solutions for my specific quandry... [BTW, I'm posting this under "General" even though ultimately I'd like to make macros to support the answer -- since a manual solution needs to be the first step! :) ] Background: My workgroup is preparing to migrate to Word 2007 very soon. We create/maintain hundreds of large procedure manuals, each containing multiple chapters (sometimes up to 40-50 per manual). Each chapter consists of steps, using multi-level numbered lists...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

transaction number in PC Charge
Is there any way to manage the fields that should go to PC Charge while tendering credit cards in RMS. The problem is that transaction number ( called Ticket in PC Charge) doesn't appear in PC Charge and that cost as extra money. Regards, Ewa ...

Sort cells with same text descending
hi, Need some help with a spreadsheet which has the following setup aaa 111 bbb 223 ccc 345 ddd 564 ddd 123 Now what i need to do is have the highest similar text cells descending. i.e ddd 123 ddd 564 aaa 111 bbb 223 ccc 345 I would like the individual rows to be shifted in this order also, not just column A and B. Any guidance in the right direction would help! Thanks, T-DHM =) -- T-DHM ------------------------------------------------------------------------ T-DHM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30136 Vi...

Case, Quote numbering
We should have the ability to number the cases without having a suffix. If we do have a suffix, we should be able to define the suffix. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defa...

Adding a drop-down form field into individual cell
Hi, I�m tabulating data for a report and one field (column) is limited t two options (non numerical data). I would like to insert a drop-dow menu into individual cells in this column. When an option is selecte in the drop-down, I will only be using the data in that column to sort not calculate. Is this possible, and if so how do I do it? Any help i appreciated -- jcstoddar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jcstoddard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1485 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthr...

Rounding numbers to the nearest thousand
Simple question (i hope) Is there a simple way i can round numbers to the nearest thousand by using the format cells command. For example i would like to display 1,234.56 as 12 I don't want to be diving by 1000 and rounding to zero decimal places because i still want the whole number displayed in the formula bar when selecting it. i use excel 2003 thanx Mark Format the number as #,##0,;-#,##0, or similar. Not the comma at the end - this tells Excel to display as thousands (two commas here will display as millions). Note that 1,234.56 will display as 1 (thousand) not 12. "...

Changing Status name in Convert Campaign Response
Hi, I would like to change the labels from "Completed" and "Canceled" to some custom names in the dropdown list of the Close Response section of the "Convert Campaign Responses" form, but I can't find this particular form anywhere on the customization list. If you have any idea how I could achieve this, please help me. Thanks a lot, Suzy Hi Suzy, Unfortunately, these forms are not customizable from within CRM. Any customization directly to the web form would be unsupported. Hope this helps! Sam _______________ Inogic Innovative Logic Innovative sol...

sorting numbers and numbers that contain text in excel
A column contains both strictly numbers and also numbers that are followed by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a) Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring to addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3 (1000a), row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)? Thank you -- MZ =TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column (and don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like number...

Form of phone numbers in contact list
I am using Blackberry's Desktop Software to syncronize with my MS Outlook Contacts list. The onboard caller-id function of the phone that is supposed to correlate the incoming phone number to a name of a contact (should the number be in my contacts list) isn't working. According to help from Blackberry the problem is the "form" of the numbers as they're being loaded on the Blackberry from MS Outlook. Specifically, apparently the fact that the numbers are stored in the form of (###) ###-#### instead of something like ###-###-#### is keeping the phone from realizi...

Outlook express 6 account keeps changing
i have a problem in my office, where 3 computers share and adls connection.Computer with direct connection runs XP Home and the others win98SE The computer that is connected is networked through a hub to the other 2 machines. It all works fine except this. In the account settings where the incoming mail server, it copies that and puts it at the end of the username then puts localhost in the server. it does it on the computer directly connected to the internet and the other connection through the ethernet. This is very odd because its never happened on any other machine i have used. Example be...

How do I update a spreadsheet with numbers input into another?
How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? "Duma" wrote: > How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? Probably something like this In Sheet2, In A1: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) Copy A1 across/down to cover the extent Sheet2 will then reflect entries/updates in Sheet1 for the formulated range -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- If both spreadsheets are the same, headers, data ranges, titles etc, basically same architecture on both sheets, then... While on Sheet1...