New excel user question: Incase of tie, select latest date

This will probably be really simple for most of you. This is coming fro
someone really new to excel.
I'm working on a worksheet and I can't figure out how to do this.

In case of a tie, select the latest date. And it says i can't use th
sort command.

Now i can figure out how to tell if there is a tie using
=IF(COUNTIF(I13:I43,MIN(I13:I43))>=2,"Tie","no tie")

But i can't figure out how to tell it to show the latest date.

Thanks for any input or hints on what to experiment with

--
liptonbn
liptonbnl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3528

Hi!

Not a lot of detail to work with!

> Now i can figure out how to tell if there is a tie using
> =IF(COUNTIF(I13:I43,MIN(I13:I43))>=2,"Tie","no tie")

Is I3:I43 a range of dates?

If there's a tie use the latest date..........the latest date means the most
recent date which would be:

=MAX(I3:I43)

If by latest date you actually mean the oldest date then that would be:

=MIN(I3:I43)

To incorporate those conditions into the above formula:

=IF(COUNTIF(I13:I43,MIN(I13:I43))>1,MAX(I3:I43),"not defined")

> In case of a tie, select the latest date.

"Not defined" means you haven't said what you want if there are no ties?

Biff

"liptonbnl" <liptonbnl.297720_1149962403.7753@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:liptonbnl.297720_1149962403.7753@excelforum-nospam.com...

> This will probably be really simple for most of you. This is coming from
> someone really new to excel.
> I'm working on a worksheet and I can't figure out how to do this.
>
> In case of a tie, select the latest date. And it says i can't use the
> sort command.
>
> Now i can figure out how to tell if there is a tie using
> =IF(COUNTIF(I13:I43,MIN(I13:I43))>=2,"Tie","no tie")
>
> But i can't figure out how to tell it to show the latest date.
>
> Thanks for any input or hints on what to experiment with.
>

> --
> liptonbnl
> liptonbnl's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35282
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=550664

0
biffinpitt (3172)

How do I subtotal pages in Excel?
I want to subtotal a column per page in Excel 2000, however the page may vary as I add and delete records. Can anyone help me? Shouldn't be a problem as XL will automatically adjust it's total formula as you add and delete. I'm assuming you are putting in a sum formula ("=sum( cell1:cell2)"). -- Regards; Rob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "lshivvers" <lshivvers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B81870EF-D160-4628-96A2-3CDC5FB07BBD@microsoft.com... > I want to subtotal a column per page in Ex...

HQ users should be able to add ship-to records from the stores.
HQ users should be able to add ship-to records from the stores. As of RMS 1.3.???, HQ users can indeed create ship-to records at the stores. I'm told that RMS doesn't handle this properly. There are problems created when stores are messing around with global customers. I suspect that MS will 'fix' this by eliminating the ability of stores to add Ship-To records. I have a customer, ABC Fitness, who has one office, but several gyms. I repair the treadmills at their various gym locations. I have each service site set up as a Ship-To in RMS, within the ABC global customer ac...

Opening a unicode CSV file from Excel
Hi, I'm currently working on an application that can export data in "CSV" format, and then launches Excel to view the CSV data. This works perfectly ok for ascii data. However now I have upgraded our application to use Unicode I'm running into problems. When I export data into a unicode CSV file and launch excel with it's path on the command line I get a "This is not a recognized format" message. If the same file is opened manually from Excel the same error is shown but afterwards the text import wizard is displayed (which works ok). Currenly the file is 16 ...

Excel #81
I need to know the importance of excel and what are the uses of excel. Your responce in this matter will be highly appreciated. Regards Qinisile There's lots of information on Excel on the Microsoft site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/FX010858001033.aspx Qinisile Bukhali wrote: > I need to know the importance of excel and what are the > uses of excel. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

create folder to all users
i am searching for a way to create a folder called search and replay under the outbox folder. i do not wish to use a plublic folder. the search and replay folder will open up to a web page. i need to know if there is any way of creating this folder without going to each of the workstations. we are running exchange 2003 w/ mixed outlook versions (200,xp,2003). please offer me any ideas you might have. thank you for your help. You'll have to script a solution. Nothing native in Exchange will let you do this and deploy to existing users. Nue "murr" <martynaughton@gmail....

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Default properties for new folders

Excel charts #12
I am trying to format the individual labels on the category axis on an Excel chart. I want every other label in a different color and bold. But the entire category axis is formatted. Does anyone have a suggestion? The category axis is years - 1990 through 2005. I want the odd years to be bold and a different color than the even years. When Excel doesn't let me do what I want with a chart axis, I draw my own: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html Use this technique to make two different axes, one for even and one for odd, and hide the default axis Excel draw...

Excel memory issues
We have several excel spreadsheets on a network drive that when opened by any client they receive several errors relating to memory, such as: Not enough memory Not enough system resources to display completely Any ideas? We have increased RAM on server and workstation and page file, but the users are still receiving the errors. Did you increase the memory on the client's machine? You never mentioned if they have enough harddrive space. "Neil Shirley" wrote: > We have several excel spreadsheets on a network drive that when opened by > any client they receive s...

automatic selecting the highest cell #2
I'm sorry for being a bit confusing, I did even manage to confus myself, as I gave you wrong directions. Now I've uploaded a picture of my spreadsheet, so hopefully you'r fully able to understand what I want to do. First I would like to explain what this is this is at speardsheet fo value betting. Column B:D are my percentage evaluation for the outcome of an match. Column F:H are odds generated of my evaluation. Column J:L are the bookmakers odds for the same matches Column N:P are the given value (difference between my and th bookmakers odds) a value over 100% indicates that ...

New Email Messages

User Calendar Vanished
Hello, Just a quick query regarding a user whos calendar contents seems to have vanished! for dates prior to June 05 This is not a big deal, but i thought a little odd.. any reason anyone might know of why this would happen? one thing i suggest was that some data archived off has been deleted.. do archives include calendar data ? thanks On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:44:28 -0800, "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >Just a quick query regarding a user whos calendar contents seems to have >vanished! for dates prior to June 05 > >This is...

excel spreadsheet #8
I have a 2 sheet excel spread sheet that I put together with varing column widths. On the top 1/4 of the first sheet (of the 2 part spread sheet) I need to have different column widths to insert specific data with different column widths that conflict with the column widths in the balance of spread sheet. How do I seperate the sheet to have the column with at the top 1/4 differ from those on the rest of the sheet? I treied cut & paste within excel, I tried building the top part in word and paste to excel. nothing works. Can this be done? Frank ...

Make excel run large spreadsheets faster
For those of you who run large spreadsheets with or without VBA, I think everyone will agree they are much too slow ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e1105194-24af-4697-ab5f-b9d62e5140ea&...

New Location/New setup

Database-design question
I'm designing a database which tracks people's experience and preference for working abroad. People apply at least for one or more categories of jobs and sometimes they also have preferences for certain countries for those categories. I'm thinking about the following many-table for preferences: ID_preference ID_person ID_category ID_country Btw: If they change their preferences I don't need to keep the former preferences. For experience and current or future workplace I'm thinking about a table like: ID_experience ID_person ID_category ID_country Da...

ChartLabeler Question??
I have been using the ChartLabeler from appspro.com that by the way it is fantastic!!!!!!. in all my charts to add difference kind of labels However, I have noticed that every time I have new data to load in my chart the chartlabeler does not update automatically the new points loaded in the graph. I have more than 30 graphs in this file and I have to add the label again to each graph to get the new point with the label. Do you know if there is any way to automate this chartlabeler? I will appreciate you helping with this matter. Maperalia ...

Excel
I need to insert a space three characters from the right of a piece of text I have in a cell. How do I do it? I was thinking along the lines of customer formatting but this is proving troublesome as I'm an Excel novice. Thanks, Darren If your piece of text is in cell A1, you could put the following formula into a helper cell (such as B1): =LEFT(A1,3)&" "&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3). If you want to convert the formula back into text, click on B1, press Ctrl+C to copy it, then click on Edit | Paste Special | Paste: Values | OK. "Dazza" wrote: > I need to in...

How do I activate the new mail button

excel #136
I have files in quantrum pro and would like to open them in excel. But they won't popen I'm not familiar with Quantrum Pro. What does it do? "Liz R" wrote: > I have files in quantrum pro and would like to open them in excel. But they > won't popen ...

Excel 2007 werkbalk snelle toegang, "hoe te saven voor nieuwe excel install "
Wie kan mij vertellen hoe de werkbalk "snelle toegang"met al zijn icons is te saven. Dit ivm een nieuwe installatie van excel. Het voorkomt dat ik al die icons wederom moet opzoeken. Al vast bedank voor de hulp. gr Peter See http://www.rondebruin.nl/imageqat.htm You can find the file here Excel saves your QAT setup in a file named "Excel.qat" in: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\Excel.qat In Vista you can find it here C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Excel.qat Note: This file will no...

Style available all sheets new or old